Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Wings of Fire [CLOSED]
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#1 Posted: 23:51:09 25/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Anyone here read it?
Don't let the scholastic logo fool you, it's just like Warrior cats only better written and LOADS GORIER.
(yeah if you don't know it's about dragons)
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#2 Posted: 00:24:56 26/09/2015
"hallelujah, hallelujah, halle-hallelujah." (Sings that.)

Another WoF fan!

I myself have read them all (except the Winglet book(s). Now hopefully this topic won't die like mine did.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#3 Posted: 00:51:59 26/09/2015
HECK YEAH. I think it's my favorite still ongoing book series.
---
Dead
#4 Posted: 00:53:19 26/09/2015 | Topic Creator
You made a topic too? Ha, yeah, hopefully it won't die!
I'm so glad someone else likes these books. X'D

But yeah, I've read the first series so far! Can't wait to get the new books from the second series!
---
I draw stuff.
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9982
#5 Posted: 00:54:46 26/09/2015
At first it didn't catch my eye but now that you say Warriors but better I have to read this
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#6 Posted: 01:23:58 26/09/2015
Quote: Bolt
You made a topic too? Ha, yeah, hopefully it won't die!
I'm so glad someone else likes these books. X'D

But yeah, I've read the first series so far! Can't wait to get the new books from the second series!

Yeah, made a topic like a year ago (boy does it seem much longer than that), but there weren't any posts. I should post the content here since I find it completely relevant.

You will adore Moon Rising and Winter Turning.
---
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#7 Posted: 01:43:32 26/09/2015
I'm kind of interested in the books...

Come on...both book series are good.
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#8 Posted: 02:33:28 26/09/2015
I've read the first two and I'm still on the third and I love it. Tsunami is my favorite I think.
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#9 Posted: 03:11:10 26/09/2015
I just finished the fifth book. I'd been looking for a good dragon-related series that didn't make the dragons wannabe-Smaugs (or yet another 'Dragon Rider' concept), so I was really happy when I found this.

I plan on getting and reading the sixth book once I finish reading all the other books I've got.

But, back on topic...

I honestly really like Sunny the most, though Tsunami is pretty close because I've always loved water dragons.

Clay is just precious, though. Glory's awesome, and Starflight's Adorkable.
#10 Posted: 03:13:07 26/09/2015
I've read every book in the series so far, and I think Starlight is the best, with Tsunami in close second.
---
Dead
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#11 Posted: 17:40:01 26/09/2015
i've read all of them!
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#12 Posted: 16:10:32 27/09/2015
Loads gorier?

Although sure, there was Queen Scarlet's scars by acid, Clay's near-death, and a bunch of other parts that I don't wish to repeat. But Warriors had its fair share as well. It just probably only seems that way because WoF has dragonbite vipers, deadly RainWing acid and dragons that set fire to anything they touch.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#13 Posted: 05:04:52 28/09/2015 | Topic Creator
^ Haha, that is true, but the worst thing I can think of in Warriors is when
Scourge disembowels Tigerstar. (i don't know why i spoiler'd this because i'm sure everyone knows about this by now lol)
Other than that though, I don't think there were many other gory scenes? But still, I see your point. X3

Well, if we're all sharing our favourite characters then mine's probably Sunny, and then Glory close behind. But honestly, all the dragonets are precious and I love them all.
and i may have a slight obsession with Thorn but lets not talk about that X'D

What's everyone's favourite dragon tribe?
I'd have to go with the RainWings because who doesn't love their camouflage scales and their MAGICAL DEATH SPIT lol, and NightWings (though i'm unsure about the latter because of their history). It's really hard picking when each tribe is all so varied and awesome in their own way though.

And yeah, theuone, you should totally post the content from your old topic!
Maybe the topic didn't kick off back then because the series wasn't as popular a year ago??
---
I draw stuff.
#14 Posted: 13:49:34 28/09/2015
My favorite dragon tribe would definitely be the rainwings, for the reasons you just listed.
---
Dead
#15 Posted: 16:58:49 28/09/2015
Scourge disembowels Tigerstar. (i don't know why i spoiler'd this because i'm sure everyone knows about this by now lol)
Other than that though, I don't think there were many other gory scenes? But still, I see your point. X3

Well, if we're all sharing our favourite characters then mine's probably Sunny, and then Glory close behind. But honestly, all the dragonets are precious and I love them all.
and i may have a slight obsession with Thorn but lets not talk about that X'D

What's everyone's favourite dragon tribe?
I'd have to go with the RainWings because who doesn't love their camouflage scales and their MAGICAL DEATH SPIT lol, and NightWings (though i'm unsure about the latter because of their history). It's really hard picking when each tribe is all so varied and awesome in their own way though.

And yeah, theuone, you should totally post the content from your old topic!
Maybe the topic didn't kick off back then because the series wasn't as popular a year ago??

True, WoF wasn't as well known back then, I'd say.

While I can't choose a favorite among the DoD, Thorn and Darkstalker are just marvelous.

As for my tribe ... maybe Rainwing or Seawing, although i love the element that is ice, so an Icewing could work as well.

As for what I posted in my previous topic, I'll have to get to that later; it's the content of a video that really blew my mind. ... Actually, before I post the link, I'll say this, go to youtube and look up a music video called Dragons Hold On, at around 0:53 ... doesn't it look familiar to you?
---
#16 Posted: 20:30:13 28/09/2015
RainWings or SeaWings, with SkyWings as an honourable mention. Rainwings because they have some really awesome ablities, Seawings because again I really love water dragons, and SkyWings because well, I like how they look? ^.^;

Though I like all the tribes, really. Just, well, some a bit more than others.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:30:32 28/09/2015 by IsisStormDragon
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#17 Posted: 11:46:17 30/09/2015
I've never heard of this series but I'm really interested. The only dragon books I've heard of is Eragon, and I've only enjoyed the first book from that series. If it's a 'better written warriors' then I will more than likely enjoy it. I've given up on YA fiction but I still want some books to read.

Also Warriors is more gorier than you think.
Remember Stormfur's death? That one was pretty brutal and involved throat slitting. And if I remember correctly Hawkfrost's death involved a stick being driven into his throat and his blood gushing into the river. Also a lot of the battles would involve plenty of blood, but because it's a book it seems more tame because you're imagining it rather than actually seeing it. If Warriors would to be a movie I'm sure that the violence would suprise everyone. That's probably why it can't get made into a movie; it's a children's book but if it would to be a movie without taming it down then it would probably get the MA rating.

Also apparently it's written by Tui Sutherland. She's one of the writers for Seekers, an Erin Hunter Book series. That's why it's similar to Warriors since I'm pretty sure Sutherland got taken on by the Erins because of her writing style being similar to theirs. I'm definitely checking this out now.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:22 01/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#18 Posted: 16:01:23 04/10/2015

Hawkfrost got a stake stabbed through him, Jumpfoot and Mossfire killed each other in a pretty bloody battle, Turtle Tail, Snowfur, Cinderpelt (but she survived with a broken leg), and Whitethroat, who actually remained alive enough to speak for a while before he died, all were hit by cars, Sharptooth and presumably Feathertail were both killed by a falling stalactite, Smokepaw and Whiteclaw both fell into gorges, Storm was killed, along with two of her kits, by possibly getting crushed to death under a falling Twoleg den, Briarlight, Longtail, and Mudclaw all were hit by falling trees, Oakheart was killed by a rockslide, Lionblaze's dreams of killing all the cats she loved and of the Dark Forest killing all cats except for Ivypool, Sandgorse was crushed to death in a tunneling accident and Lilywhisker lost the use of one leg, and Crookedstar was nearly killed by getting slammed into a rock, which broke his jaw, caused him to become an apprentice late, and made him feel like he wasn't good enough for his mother, but survived long enough to see EVERYTHING HE LOVED die because of one single promise.

Gory enough for ya?
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#19 Posted: 19:32:36 04/10/2015
^Definitely gory enough for you.

Look at 0:53 why don't you guys and tell me who do you see?
---
#20 Posted: 00:02:51 05/10/2015
Ok do I just borrowed Wings of Fire book 1 from the library and.... I don't think it's a better written Warriors. In fact the writing is much worse than Warriors, and is actually really childish (which sucks because it means i won't be able to take these so called gruesome deaths seriously). Unless the writing gets better later? :\

also i hate kestrel already

Quote: theuone
^Definitely gory enough for you.

hawkfrost died by getting a stick shoved into his throat, and his blood started gushing out of his throat until he died from bloodlost. so much blood came out of his throat that it turned the lake red.

stonefur died by getting his throat slit by a claw and his blood started gushing out of his throat continuously until he died from bloodlost.

brokentail suffocated to death by eating death berries, given to him by his own mother, and his mother watched him die slowly through suffocation (i know yellowfang had every right to kill him, but it was quite a horrid moment still).

swiftpaw got killed by dogs. it wasn't really explained how he died, but i bet he got completely torn to pieces.

all the clan battles would be pretty fierce and there would be torn fur and blood everywhere

warriors was quite mature with it's writing, and because of that i was able to take these death seriously.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 00:37:40 05/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#21 Posted: 01:28:11 05/10/2015
i do think it gets better

how far have you gotten with book 1?
#22 Posted: 05:54:33 05/10/2015
Not that far tbh. I just kind of noticed the writing style straight away.

Like for instance:

He tried to summon helpful violent rage, but all he could think was It'll be over soon, and then I could have dinner.
So, not the most heroic train of thought.

I dunno I just thought that was a bit awkward. Maybe I'm overreacting I dunno. I also don't like how the writing uses brackets. I've always found it weird when stories use brackets. Also so much upper case is used a lot. I've always thought upper case is weird in speech. Like, just use an exclamation mark (with '___ shouted' or something), readers know that the character is shouting, that's what the exclamation mark is for. I agree with upper case being used in certain situations, but not spammed.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:55:04 05/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8081
#23 Posted: 02:25:55 09/10/2015
^The thing that's unique about Wings of Fire is that each dragon has its own voice. The perspective changes each book. And yeah, Clay's voice is generally awkward because he doesn't think he's a hero. He doesn't really know if he's doing the right thing all the time; all he knows is that he wants to protect his friends. If you do pick up the others, you'll notice that Sutherland writes for many different personality types extremely well. Tsunami's commanding, bossy voice, Glory's serious and sarcastic tones, Starflight's timid but logical approaches...
As for the all-caps thing, technically it's correct, but it just depends on what the author chooses. I'm not always a fan of it, but it gets the point across, does it not? smilie
I love both Wings of Fire and Warriors, and both are great in their own way. But honestly, the plot for WoF is unique and brilliant. For Warriors, they usually build new things and continue on for sequels. But for Wings of Fire, it's like a puzzle. They give you bits at a time, but the way it all comes together at the end is amazing. That's the way I wish more books were written.

~~~

We were discussing favorite dragons? Ooh, this'll be fun! I'm a big fan of NightWings and SkyWings. Seeing as we haven't had any SkyWing protagonists thus far, I'm extremely pumped for Escaping Peril. As for the NightWings... I must admit, it's mostly their dark nature and mysteriousness that brought me to like them, but there are some really interesting NightWings. They're smart. I love smart characters. smilie
Favorite characters would be Starflight, Sunny (I WILL SHIP THEM NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS), Scarlet, Qibli and probably more I'm forgetting.
Imo RainWings are overrated. :3
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
#24 Posted: 00:41:43 10/10/2015
Ah okay. I've looked them up on Goodreads, so I know that each book has a different POV. I might read this book and go on to the others so that I can read other POVs to see what you mean. Also I've heard that the Wings of Fire series is actually full of cliches but eh, I will let this slip.
And as for Warriors I adore the first series and Bluestar's Prophecy but I hate all the rest. TNP was extremely boring and didn't get better until Starlight, and even wasn't very good. TPOT and OOTS was downright ridiculous and I hated the atmosphere of OOTS. The only reason why I kept reading was because of Jayfeather being my favourite cat. I also dislike how Warriors has all these unnecessary books like the guides, so many Super Editions, Mangas, etc. It's like, just stop already.

Also the Icewings, Rainwings and Nightwings have caught my interest so far, but that's mainly because I love Ice Dragons and the Rainwings and Nightwings sound interesting.
---
#25 Posted: 16:33:32 15/02/2016
So, bump?

Has anyone read Escaping Peril yet? (Don't forget spoilers.)

Also, would anyone like to check out my Wings of Fire RP?
---
#26 Posted: 06:06:33 16/02/2016
I haven't read Moon Rising yet because I'm still waiting for the paperback version.

Soooo I probably won't be able to read Escaping Peril for a thousand years.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me