darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > activision support page info on nightfallgate
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
activision support page info on nightfallgate
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#1 Posted: 02:59:00 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: site
Question: My Nightfall toy is not registering in Skylanders SuperChargers. What's happening?

Answer: Since the launch of Skylanders in 2011, Activision has been committed to delivering high-quality toys to our consumers. It has come to our attention that our software is unable to recognize the Skylanders SuperChargers Dark Element character Nightfall. As a result, we stopped the shipment of the majority of the toys before they arrived at retail. We will be reissuing the toy as soon as possible, and consumers should find Nightfall on shelves before the end of the year.

If you have received a non-functional version of the Nightfall toy, please call 1-844-HELP-EON for assistance from Activision. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause Skylanders fans.

so...
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 03:01:06 22/09/2015
Before the end of the year? Unless it's an easy fix, fat chance.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
High_Volt23 Green Sparx Gems: 204
#3 Posted: 03:06:52 22/09/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
Quote: site
Question: My Nightfall toy is not registering in Skylanders SuperChargers. What's happening?

Answer: Since the launch of Skylanders in 2011, Activision has been committed to delivering high-quality toys to our consumers. It has come to our attention that our software is unable to recognize the Skylanders SuperChargers Dark Element character Nightfall. As a result, we stopped the shipment of the majority of the toys before they arrived at retail. We will be reissuing the toy as soon as possible, and consumers should find Nightfall on shelves before the end of the year.

If you have received a non-functional version of the Nightfall toy, please call 1-844-HELP-EON for assistance from Activision. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause Skylanders fans.

so...

Alright 2 questions.
1 Does this mean nightfall will be released in wave 3 now ?
2 Will the rest of wave 2 be held until she is fixed?
---
smilie PROTECT AND SURGE!!!smilie
#4 Posted: 03:07:34 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
1. i hope so.
2. nope.
#5 Posted: 03:10:11 22/09/2015
Thank goodness. although I'm sad nightfall had a bad problem I can't wait to get the others like high volt. Hopefully wave 2 is coming out later this month or early October
---
#6 Posted: 03:13:18 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: High_Volt23
Thank goodness. although I'm sad nightfall had a bad problem I can't wait to get the others like high volt. Hopefully wave 2 is coming out later this month or early October

high volt has been found and bought at target.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#7 Posted: 03:13:23 22/09/2015
1. i hope so.
2. nope.

But don't all superchargers have the same SKU? Unless nightfall has a different SKU, they can't really just make the register not let you purchase her, right?
---
Dead
#8 Posted: 03:18:11 22/09/2015

REALLY? I went to 3 targets yesterday and the same 3 today and still nothing. smilie
---
#9 Posted: 03:21:49 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
yeah, i don't know what's up. haven't been to target lately, but i saw ebay listings from california of burn cycle, high volt, smash hit, burn cycle, shark tank, and stealth stinger.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#10 Posted: 03:25:16 22/09/2015
Well I'm keeping mine. Hopefully they replace it for free when the fixed version comes out.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#11 Posted: 03:26:35 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
i'll buy one for me to keep as well. it's a nice figure.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#12 Posted: 03:28:22 22/09/2015
I'd but one to keep, if any place in Las Vegas had them.
---
Dead
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#13 Posted: 03:32:14 22/09/2015

REALLY? I went to 3 targets yesterday and the same 3 today and still nothing. smilie

Read the first post, with the quote from Activision support.
"As a result, we stopped the shipment of the majority of the toys before they arrived at retail."

They recalled ALL cases of wave 2, but a few made it onto shelves, seemingly only at Target. There are a few on eBay from people that found them, but obviously, not many. Activision didn't recall Nightfall, specifically, they recalled the wave 2 cases, which included Nightfall. They likely won't repackage an entire wave, so we might see wave three first.
---
Hail Sithis
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#14 Posted: 03:34:02 22/09/2015
what if they say sorry by putting a character (let's say eruptor) in her place?
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#15 Posted: 03:46:31 22/09/2015
Recalling them and only shipping working versions is probably the best outcome for everyone in the long run, as opposed to leaving them broken and just patching it in the game somehow. I would be okay with any route they want to go as long as they fix it.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:47:37 22/09/2015 by Friendzie
BoneGrunt Green Sparx Gems: 447
#16 Posted: 05:10:52 22/09/2015
This sounds like it'll take some time before Wave 2 begins appearing everywhere on store shelves, considering they stopped the shipment that included the Nightfall character.

I've noticed Amazon has the Wave 2 figures listed now, but no release date of any kind.
SoulfulWolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 5794
#17 Posted: 05:22:33 22/09/2015
I'm just happy to finally see this info.

And even happier that they basically confirmed it's a problem with the figure, and not the game. No patch or disc replacement needed!
RK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1847
#18 Posted: 05:53:32 22/09/2015
Quote: SoulfulWolf

And even happier that they basically confirmed it's a problem with the figure, and not the game. No patch or disc replacement needed!

I don't know, if it were a problem with the game, a patch would've been much more simple as a solution than recalling all the figures and send in a new batch while trading all broken figures people bought for new working ones.
A patch would be released the moment they solve the problem, and other than maybe a few minutes updating, you wouldn't have to wait at all to play with Nightfall.
#19 Posted: 06:00:51 22/09/2015
Quote: RK

I don't know, if it were a problem with the game, a patch would've been much more simple as a solution than recalling all the figures and send in a new batch while trading all broken figures people bought for new working ones.
A patch would be released the moment they solve the problem, and other than maybe a few minutes updating, you wouldn't have to wait at all to play with Nightfall.

Well, what I meant was about stuff I read in some other topics: About Patches only being good/available as long as the servers are up. Or with those who don't connect their systems to the internet for whatever reason, and can't apply the patch.

Edit: And I'm not sure about anyone else, but: If I ever have a kid, or grand kids, Potentially when the servers are down and patches no longer apply, I would like to play my old skylanders games with them, if not out right give them to them as a hand-me-down. (And I try to have all 152 [technically 136 or 128 depending how you count minis and re-imagined super chargers] characters.)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:05:00 22/09/2015 by SoulfulWolf
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#20 Posted: 06:13:27 22/09/2015
Looks like wave 3 will reach Australia before wave 2. Oh well
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
GamerZack7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1709
#21 Posted: 07:13:46 22/09/2015
Quote: Snap Shot
Looks like wave 3 will reach Australia before wave 2. Oh well

As long as we don't have to wait half a year for any waves this time, I'm not bothered. It just means a sooner release of the Sky Racing Action Pack, smilie and smilie, among other figures on my wishlist. smilie
---
MY SUPERCHARGER SKYLANDERS
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie | *smilie* | smiliesmilie*smilie*smiliesmilie | smilie | smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
*Currently absent*
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#22 Posted: 09:26:29 22/09/2015

Well, what I meant was about stuff I read in some other topics: About Patches only being good/available as long as the servers are up. Or with those who don't connect their systems to the internet for whatever reason, and can't apply the patch.

Edit: And I'm not sure about anyone else, but: If I ever have a kid, or grand kids, Potentially when the servers are down and patches no longer apply, I would like to play my old skylanders games with them, if not out right give them to them as a hand-me-down. (And I try to have all 152 [technically 136 or 128 depending how you count minis and re-imagined super chargers] characters.)

good that someone here understand the important of a working game on disc. a patches is not a real solution, a patch is only a short solution that will not last.. thats why its very important the game on disc work as it should. and for a game that is all about toys its even more important. so after i read they have recalled the toys i was happy, that means its not the game on the disc but the figurine chip...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#23 Posted: 12:00:45 22/09/2015
Thank god we have a release date for her, now I can go to bed with no worries. Now I'll be patient and not as mad as before. I hope she'll come out on christmas, so that she can be a "long awaited christmas present" smilie
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#24 Posted: 12:46:29 22/09/2015

I'mma get my old man on and warn you

Don't bother saving technology or games for 'the next generation'.

Try playing a PS2 on a HDTV...up-scaling alone - without expensive add-ons to process it faster - will add so much lag that its virtually unplayable. The PS2 is only like 15 years old. Have a Nintendo laying around? Not only is upscaling an issue, but just getting the connectors to work makes it a pain.

It's easier to take my son on a tour of old Mario games via emulation than legit hardware, not because of ownership, but because of technology. I don't know how old you are, so 'kids' may be possible, but Grandkids? Don't even waste time/money thinking about them. I'm waiting for the day when I can't even play MW2 anymore on the X360. It's a fact of modern life...nothign is permanent. DVDs and CDs go bad just like VHS tapes and cassettes, and before them vinyl. Trying to keep things 'on disc' is an absolute head ache frankly for EVERYONE that isn't worth the heartache. Does that mean I need a new cartridge for my 3DS purchase? does that mean they have to have a mail-in setup like M$ did for the RROD? That cost M$ MILLIONS of dollars.

The best solution in that case is to release a patch, and then do a 'new' press of the game - v1.01 with the fix on it, and send that out for the new purchases. EVERYONE else patches, its just somethign to get used to. By the time kids or grandkids come around, emulation will be in full effect. I'm pretty sure there is Wii U emulation floating around along with X360 and PS3 emulation, so its not like you couldn't get your hands on a 'good' copy when that day comes.

*Please note I am not endorsing emulation in any way and fully understand that by law, just owning a game does not give you the rights to play the emulated version
**Please note that when you can't get something to work the legal way, then I don't care what the law is and endorse doing what must be done under those circumstances.
- Unreall
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#25 Posted: 12:54:00 22/09/2015
Quote: GameMaster78
Well I'm keeping mine. Hopefully they replace it for free when the fixed version comes out.

I'd keep it. It's RARE. Think about it. They will be replacing and/or destroying the defective figure.

So, some comments:

1. I'm guessing they will ship Wave 2 AS IS without Nightfall, and request they discard the stock or pay to have the items returned.
2. I'm honestly shocked they took the figure route. I figured that would be the most expensive route. Considering the Kiosks read the figure suggests that they ended up changing the RFID of the figure at some point and manufacturing didn't get the memo.
3. This is going to cost them a LOT of money to resolve. Honestly surprised this has not happened before now. Shame it happened on VV's watch.
4. No way they are going to get this out by end of year. If they do, it will be at a sacrifice of future figures. Something's gonna give. I'd argue by easter. Lost holiday sales will be a major pain point for the them, so maybe they'll figure it out.

Unreal, get what you're saying. Emulation is definitely the way people are playing the "historical" games. At first I thought doing this for the more capable systems wouldn't be possible but it's getting "more real" every day. That being said, there's an entire subgenre of those who want to play on the original hardware...and I expect both to survive/thrive long after the relevance has faded. It will be interesting to see if skylanders ends up as an "all digital" experience down the road. I think it will-at least on a remake situation.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 13:03:15 22/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Cicada17 Green Sparx Gems: 498
#26 Posted: 12:56:19 22/09/2015
So now the malfunctioning figures will become a chase variant for the collectors, correct? Sounds like it will be rare. smilie
#27 Posted: 12:57:09 22/09/2015
Quote: Cicada17
So now the malfunctioning figures will become a chase variant for the collectors, correct? Sounds like it will be rare. smilie

Not in the traditional sense. It will be earmarked as the first official colossal TTL messup that I can recall.
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#28 Posted: 13:07:13 22/09/2015
I would love to get my hands on a non working Nightfall looked on eBay but just pre orders....
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#29 Posted: 14:11:04 22/09/2015
I'd say what will happen is the double packs and triple packs will come out as expected. They will probably hold back the Wave 2 cases and ship Wave 3 Superchargers instead in the near future. They may or may ship Wave 3 vehicles instead of Wave 2 since those kind of line up with the figures. Then in December, Wave 2 fixed figures will come out instead along with the vehicles they didn't ship out earlier. That would be what I would do. It mucks with their plans, but they will need more than just Wave 1 out prior to Black Friday and depending on what they have to do with the figures it might not be reasonable to redo those in time for the big shopping day. Figures take quite a bit of time to tool the line, make them and ship over from China - they come by boat. Most people don't care if it is Wave 2 or 3, they just want more options to buy.

In my opinion, again, they need to put this front and center and not buried on a Support page. But, they were probably able to get them back before too many were sold, so given it is Activision this is likely the best we will get. When the XB360 had issues, Microsoft chose to publicly fall on their sword to fix the problem, and it really helped resolve a near catastrophic PR crisis with the whole XBox brand.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:13:05 22/09/2015 by defpally
#30 Posted: 14:14:31 22/09/2015 | Topic Creator
If they put wave 3 out soon, I'll be happy!
#31 Posted: 14:30:16 22/09/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons

I'd keep it. It's RARE. Think about it. They will be replacing and/or destroying the defective figure.

So, some comments:

1. I'm guessing they will ship Wave 2 AS IS without Nightfall, and request they discard the stock or pay to have the items returned.
2. I'm honestly shocked they took the figure route. I figured that would be the most expensive route. Considering the Kiosks read the figure suggests that they ended up changing the RFID of the figure at some point and manufacturing didn't get the memo.
3. This is going to cost them a LOT of money to resolve. Honestly surprised this has not happened before now. Shame it happened on VV's watch.
4. No way they are going to get this out by end of year. If they do, it will be at a sacrifice of future figures. Something's gonna give. I'd argue by easter. Lost holiday sales will be a major pain point for the them, so maybe they'll figure it out.

Unreal, get what you're saying. Emulation is definitely the way people are playing the "historical" games. At first I thought doing this for the more capable systems wouldn't be possible but it's getting "more real" every day. That being said, there's an entire subgenre of those who want to play on the original hardware...and I expect both to survive/thrive long after the relevance has faded. It will be interesting to see if skylanders ends up as an "all digital" experience down the road. I think it will-at least on a remake situation.

I thought of that last night. Those who kept their faulty Nightfalls instead of returning it for a refund have a rare figure.

It is the first figure to come out not working in the sense it's chip works but the game won't recognize it... ever.

I guess I can add it to the Skylander item I own that no other Skylander fan will ever own, and that's a signed document from Guha and Karthick Bala stating I was the first in the world to own all 256 combinations of Swap Force Skylanders. Truly unique.
---
stinkbomb29 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1697
#32 Posted: 14:35:53 22/09/2015
Just a thought, but maybe they will rerelease her under the same sku number and she just be the only assortment in the box. Similar to last year's early launch of Gear Shift. That's alot of nightfall to be recalled. I'm sure there is all ready a plan in motion.
#33 Posted: 15:00:26 22/09/2015
Ps4 version updated to 1.2.1 Nightfall works now.
---
#34 Posted: 15:06:41 22/09/2015
Quote: Drawdler
Preach, Unreall.

That, and the figures will eventually die out too.

Well I literally JUST went through this with another game that's not that old.

DDR.

I used to be pretty heavy into DDR, it kept me in modest shape in college despite my schedule (my school was 75+ miles away from where I was living, and I worked two part time jobs, one ironically at a gym near home, and a second in Car Phi @ Best Buy near schoo, so 7 days a week I was driving 150+ miles to either school or work). I've got them on the PSX, and all of the ones released domestically for the PS2. I'm trying to lose weight now and DDR is a great way to do so for me, and my son @ 4 is at the age where he can 'start' to do things like that...

I had saved my old pads for PS2 (I threw the one for my XBox away, never got it for the 360 though) but they had actually molded in storage. I tracked down a couple pads at a decent price via Amazon. Went to Home Depot to get wood to re-enforce themand cover them in a protective surface. Plugged it in forgetting about the lag from upscaling and had a nightmare time trying to play. So I pulled out my old 32" TV from college, put it in a corner, and it became the PS2 'tv'. Fam, the PS2 was still relevant a few years ago and its already an issue, going from 240 and 480 screens up to 720/1080. Imagine when 8k is the new standard a decade from now (that will be the cap though, we aren't passing that). CURRENT console hardware isn't meant for 4K (it works though). HDMI won't hold up for 8K either (barely does for 4K), so most likely you will need a converter for HDMI to *new connector type*, as well as an up-converter so the TV isn't trying to upscale and smooth the image from 1080 up to 8k (which will be native by then).

That's just to get a smooth experience. That doesn't factor in figures dying, disc going bad, consoles going bad (ask folks with NES and SNES...the innards naturally rust with time and have to be replaced for functionality),etc.

The best you can hope for? Next generation - Activision does a "8k Remaster" of the series on one disc/flash-chip.

They need to do that now tbh...bring everything up to at least 720, and add backwards compatibility for figures...because I don't know where Eon just keeps 'finding' these new skylanders every year hahaha
- Unreall
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#35 Posted: 17:11:56 22/09/2015
Quote: Unreallystic
Have a Nintendo laying around? Not only is upscaling an issue, but just getting the connectors to work makes it a pain.

Being as huge an NES collector and enthusiast as I am, I really haven't had the types of issues that you're talking about in hooking up any of my NES systems to my TV (front loader, top loader, etc.). My SNES and N64 plug up and work fantastic as well. It could be that some TVs have more of an input lag issue than others, just as some allow for inputs to not be upscaled or can do so without creating lag. Don't write off classic gaming on modern TVs entirely, as clearly YMMV.

That's just to get a smooth experience. That doesn't factor in figures dying, disc going bad, consoles going bad (ask folks with NES and SNES...the innards naturally rust with time and have to be replaced for functionality),etc.

If you don't take care of them, sure. Personally? I've never seen an NES, SNES or N64 with rusty innards or any other sort of corrosion inside. I've seen a handful of cartridges like that, but they had been literally exposed to the elements, left outside on (in!) the ground, in non-temperature controlled garages and basements which experienced water/humidity issues, etc. The biggest issue I've seen with either system is the tendency for the original plastic casings to discolor over time. Past that, so long as you keep it in a moisture free, relatively temperature controlled environment, you shouldn't see any issues.

Having worked on a lot of electronics throughout the years (including my PS2 and original Xbox) I can say that over time you're more likely to experience issues with any older hardware, but usually only slightly more likely than with current hardware. The lasers in all systems will eventually drift a bit and ultimately wear out, but if you take care of them and repair them as necessary, they don't necessarily need to be thrown to the roadside and forgotten. Gaming with classic systems (I included the PS2 in a statement about "classic" video game hardware...I'm officially an old man now, lol) is very possible and not usually a headache with modern TVs--you've just got to make sure to tweak the settings appropriately for those systems in the event that the defaults produce lag or other unwanted side effects.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#36 Posted: 17:16:30 22/09/2015

Your Nightfall is as common as dirt now. Sell sell sell! smilie
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#37 Posted: 17:21:52 22/09/2015
Where did all these people find Nightfall? I couldn't find one anywhere...
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#38 Posted: 17:24:38 22/09/2015
Quote: ninja9351
Where did all these people find Nightfall? I couldn't find one anywhere...

Reviewer copies,youtuber "care packages", random stores stocking Wave 2.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#39 Posted: 17:36:33 22/09/2015

Not true. smilie still doesn't work on 3DS or Wii.
---
#40 Posted: 17:38:48 22/09/2015
You may not have come across it, doesn't mean its not a factor. People have had numerous issues and have had to replace the mechanism where the cartridges and the system meet. Its not an expensive part, its just the connector that starts to rust out (inside where you can't really see). And no its not necessarily from treating the console bad.

As well, yes different TVs handle upscaling better than others. All screens have some measure of delay from a multitude of factors - its why the fighting game community universally uses the ASUS VH236H - the more processing the TV has to do and the weaker that processor, the more lag there is. It's why games like DDR often have an option for adjusting arrow presses. The more upscaling the TV has to do, the worse it gets. Its why a lot of TVs now have 'game' mode, where things like smoothing are turned off (and why PSX games looks SO bad @ high resolution).

Being frank, very few NES games have tight controls, you may feel as though there is a phantom effect where you 'swore you jumped over something' or 'timed it perfectly' and still got hit, but it may not be enough to deter you. The effect starts to become more and more noticable as you start playing fighting games and bullet-hell shooters. Try hooking up Tekken Tag on the PS2 to a 40"+ DLP and see how well you cna play defensively.

Maybe we'll start putting stronger processecors into TVs as time goes on to help these processes...4K is a huge strain, and companies are already gearing up for 8k (rolleyes), so its quite possible. But it simply isn't that big a deal, and not something to 'bet' on working down the road. You're right that older systems actually fair better than newer ones, in my hunt to play DDR again I had to go through 4 PS2s before I got one that worked consistently.

D.R.E. everywhere...
- Unreall
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#41 Posted: 18:05:23 22/09/2015
NIGHTFALL IS ALIVE smilie
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#42 Posted: 18:19:01 22/09/2015

Not true. smilie still doesn't work on 3DS or Wii.

Fyi....no patches yet on Xbox-One platform. Still at 1.2.0.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:19:23 22/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#43 Posted: 20:02:38 22/09/2015

I'mma get my old man on and warn you

Don't bother saving technology or games for 'the next generation'.

Try playing a PS2 on a HDTV...up-scaling alone - without expensive add-ons to process it faster - will add so much lag that its virtually unplayable. The PS2 is only like 15 years old. Have a Nintendo laying around? Not only is upscaling an issue, but just getting the connectors to work makes it a pain.

It's easier to take my son on a tour of old Mario games via emulation than legit hardware, not because of ownership, but because of technology. I don't know how old you are, so 'kids' may be possible, but Grandkids? Don't even waste time/money thinking about them. I'm waiting for the day when I can't even play MW2 anymore on the X360. It's a fact of modern life...nothign is permanent. DVDs and CDs go bad just like VHS tapes and cassettes, and before them vinyl. Trying to keep things 'on disc' is an absolute head ache frankly for EVERYONE that isn't worth the heartache. Does that mean I need a new cartridge for my 3DS purchase? does that mean they have to have a mail-in setup like M$ did for the RROD? That cost M$ MILLIONS of dollars.

The best solution in that case is to release a patch, and then do a 'new' press of the game - v1.01 with the fix on it, and send that out for the new purchases. EVERYONE else patches, its just somethign to get used to. By the time kids or grandkids come around, emulation will be in full effect. I'm pretty sure there is Wii U emulation floating around along with X360 and PS3 emulation, so its not like you couldn't get your hands on a 'good' copy when that day comes.

*Please note I am not endorsing emulation in any way and fully understand that by law, just owning a game does not give you the rights to play the emulated version
**Please note that when you can't get something to work the legal way, then I don't care what the law is and endorse doing what must be done under those circumstances.
- Unreall

emulating is pointless if what you gonna play with emulating dont work or are missing patches that you can not get... the game is as good as the game on disc, and is it broken then its broken forever. thats the future of broken unfinished games and emulation.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#44 Posted: 20:54:10 22/09/2015
You may not have come across it, doesn't mean its not a factor. People have had numerous issues and have had to replace the mechanism where the cartridges and the system meet. Its not an expensive part, its just the connector that starts to rust out (inside where you can't really see). And no its not necessarily from treating the console bad.

They don't "rust out," unless you've actually had them in liquids. The teeth spread really badly on the NES cartridge connectors over time due to the stress placed on them when you put the cartridge in and then push it down. In nearly all cases, you don't actually need to replace that connector at all; if you're careful, you can just bend the pins back out and it will make a proper connection with your cartridges again. I fixed my original, owned-since-childhood NES this way and it immediately went back to working like new. Seriously, unless you're abusing your systems and games with some sort of liquid (water, cleaners, solvents, etc.), they will last a long, long, long time. With a little basic maintenance, they'll keep kicking a lot longer than a lot of people will.

Quote:
As well, yes different TVs handle upscaling better than others. All screens have some measure of delay from a multitude of factors - its why the fighting game community universally uses the ASUS VH236H - the more processing the TV has to do and the weaker that processor, the more lag there is. It's why games like DDR often have an option for adjusting arrow presses. The more upscaling the TV has to do, the worse it gets. Its why a lot of TVs now have 'game' mode, where things like smoothing are turned off (and why PSX games looks SO bad @ high resolution).

I'm guessing I've gotten lucky both times I've bought an HDTV (first Samsung then RCA), as I haven't had issues with either with any of my pre-PS3 systems, not even the 3DO running Samurai Shodown.

Quote:
Being frank, very few NES games have tight controls, you may feel as though there is a phantom effect where you 'swore you jumped over something' or 'timed it perfectly' and still got hit, but it may not be enough to deter you. The effect starts to become more and more noticable as you start playing fighting games and bullet-hell shooters. Try hooking up Tekken Tag on the PS2 to a 40"+ DLP and see how well you cna play defensively.

While that's possible, the first games I threw in after fixing the cartridge connector on my original NES were Mega Man 1-6, Duck Tales & Rescue Rangers. All are very unforgiving and I didn't have issues with any of them. (shrug) Everybody can have a different experience, but that means good ones as well as bad ones. If people want to keep using their old systems, there's no reason to discourage them. People should be educated that there's the possibility of issues with input delays/lag with some sets and not all models can adjust their settings to make this workable. But, quite a few can, meaning that throwing out your older games and systems would be an incredible waste.

Quote:
Maybe we'll start putting stronger processecors into TVs as time goes on to help these processes...4K is a huge strain, and companies are already gearing up for 8k (rolleyes), so its quite possible. But it simply isn't that big a deal, and not something to 'bet' on working down the road. You're right that older systems actually fair better than newer ones, in my hunt to play DDR again I had to go through 4 PS2s before I got one that worked consistently.

D.R.E. everywhere...
- Unreall

The neverending march toward "perfect" graphics is, and has been, not nearly as necessary (and in many cases wanted) as developers and hardware companies would have folks believe. The fact that people just buy what's put in front of them is really want's driving this. The masses didn't ask for or demand 4K and certainly not 8K--but eventually companies will only produce those devices and force the standard across all channels. However, they've pretty consistently made sure that those advances are also mostly (if not completely) compatible with previous generations' hardware. Every once in a while you'll have to pick up a new adapter to play an older gaming system or hook up an old piece of audio or video equipment, but for the most part everything's there. For game systems, so long as you can plug something into the standard coax jack meant for cable, you should have some sort of compatibility for some time to come.

As for the PS2's, check out some videos online about popping the case and adjusting the laser. I had the same problem with my just-post-launch PS2 and Guitar Hero/Rock Band until I adjusted the laser. After that, everything read immediately, as if the system were brand new.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#45 Posted: 00:04:34 23/09/2015
I didn't expect my one comment to spawn of this general discussion between if saving up old console/games was worth it or not. (Personally I love this discussion, and have learned several things!)

Real quick, I guess I'll answer my age: I've been 20 years old since April 22nd (Earth Day) 2015. Although I won't be having kids until around my mid 30s to early 40s, so about 15 to 20 years from now... give or take.

Now, quickly going back on topic!

Is Acti going down both routes? Patching the games AND making new readable Nightfall figures for a future release? Are there any versions of the game that won't get a patch? [I'm mostly looking at 3DS, and especially Wii. Although Wii Shop Channel still runs, they could technically patch it...]

Plus, from what I've read; only the Playstation versions of the game have gotten the patch so far?

Now I'm just confused....
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#46 Posted: 00:08:32 23/09/2015
But... but I want Nightfall now! *cries*
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
#47 Posted: 19:18:12 23/09/2015
I didn't expect my one comment to spawn of this general discussion between if saving up old console/games was worth it or not. (Personally I love this discussion, and have learned several things!)

Real quick, I guess I'll answer my age: I've been 20 years old since April 22nd (Earth Day) 2015. Although I won't be having kids until around my mid 30s to early 40s, so about 15 to 20 years from now... give or take.

Is Acti going down both routes? Patching the games AND making new readable Nightfall figures for a future release? Are there any versions of the game that won't get a patch? [I'm mostly looking at 3DS, and especially Wii. Although Wii Shop Channel still runs, they could technically patch it...]

Plus, from what I've read; only the Playstation versions of the game have gotten the patch so far?

Don't make the mistake of predicting when you'll have kids...it just rarely works out that way for a multitude of reasons not worth getting too in depth here heh (your partner, things just happening, life moving at a different rate than planned, etc). We weren't planning on a kid yet, were engaged, sold my Murano and bought a TL because I didn't need a SUV for the two of us, then a month later she is pregnant. The second one came at the worst possible time (JUST bought a house). You can...(staying in the realms of decency here), do everything in your power to not have one, but yeah...life finds a way [/Alan Grant]

Yeah, don't take my comments the wrong way either, I'm not saying things 'won't' work - I'm simply saying understand that things might NOT work. Old Nintendos DO still work, one of my friends took his out for his boy. Things can also be repaired (as mentioned) and the market for 'new' old equipment is rapidly growing. You can buy Nintendo's with HDMI connectors now. But no one I know has owned 'only one XBox 360'. No one I know has only had one PS2. I have friends on their 2nd and third PS3. My Wii died with honestly, less than 200 hours of wear on it. I already mentioned the PS2 struggle I had, my PSOne struggle wasn't as bad, but that was only because the PS2 was backwards compatible.

Frankly with kids also, their interest are going to be tied directly to yours (I've never liked Mario, I always like the villains, Megatron, Bowser, the 'L' and the 'Z' in Tetris, etc. My son went from liking Mario to now always wanting to play as Bowser...in everything). I say that to say, be honest with yourself, if you have 200+ figures, you aren't playing with 200 of them. You will have a "SoulfulWolf's Elite" that you like, and they are who your kids/grandkids will play as. My son LOVES the Light and Dark trapmaster's and I'm pretty sure it was because of the fervor I exhibited upon their release. So if 10-20 years from now, you fire up Skylanders 7: Return of the Spyro, so what if there are issues with one or two characters, your kids will only miss out on what YOU tell them they are missing out on. There will be God knows how many 'Landers to choose form at that time, all will NOT be lost, and as I mentioned emulation will most likely be able to fill any holes you have due to hardware issues.
- Unreall
#48 Posted: 05:18:41 24/09/2015

Don't make the mistake of predicting when you'll have kids...it just rarely works out that way for a multitude of reasons not worth getting too in depth here heh (your partner, things just happening, life moving at a different rate than planned, etc). We weren't planning on a kid yet, were engaged, sold my Murano and bought a TL because I didn't need a SUV for the two of us, then a month later she is pregnant. The second one came at the worst possible time (JUST bought a house). You can...(staying in the realms of decency here), do everything in your power to not have one, but yeah...life finds a way [/Alan Grant]

Yeah, don't take my comments the wrong way either, I'm not saying things 'won't' work - I'm simply saying understand that things might NOT work. Old Nintendos DO still work, one of my friends took his out for his boy. Things can also be repaired (as mentioned) and the market for 'new' old equipment is rapidly growing. You can buy Nintendo's with HDMI connectors now. But no one I know has owned 'only one XBox 360'. No one I know has only had one PS2. I have friends on their 2nd and third PS3. My Wii died with honestly, less than 200 hours of wear on it. I already mentioned the PS2 struggle I had, my PSOne struggle wasn't as bad, but that was only because the PS2 was backwards compatible.

Frankly with kids also, their interest are going to be tied directly to yours (I've never liked Mario, I always like the villains, Megatron, Bowser, the 'L' and the 'Z' in Tetris, etc. My son went from liking Mario to now always wanting to play as Bowser...in everything). I say that to say, be honest with yourself, if you have 200+ figures, you aren't playing with 200 of them. You will have a "SoulfulWolf's Elite" that you like, and they are who your kids/grandkids will play as. My son LOVES the Light and Dark trapmaster's and I'm pretty sure it was because of the fervor I exhibited upon their release. So if 10-20 years from now, you fire up Skylanders 7: Return of the Spyro, so what if there are issues with one or two characters, your kids will only miss out on what YOU tell them they are missing out on. There will be God knows how many 'Landers to choose form at that time, all will NOT be lost, and as I mentioned emulation will most likely be able to fill any holes you have due to hardware issues.
- Unreall

I understand completely. (Honestly, I was just basing the kids thing on what my GF plans.)

I've also had issues with consoles several time. My first Wii's disc drive stopped working properly a few years back. It would still play gamecube games, but anything Wii would not play [Especially not Super Smash Bros. Brawl]. My dad later fixed it [mostly] by replacing the disc drive. It worked perfectly fine, and hopefully still does [A few months ago I gave it to my Mom's friend so she could give it to her nephew, as we have a Red Mario's 25th Wii in the house now]. I've also gone through my fair share of PS2s and even replaced my 3DS once! [The mother board somehow got fried. Ironically it would only crash when playing Pokemon X or Y....]

Lastly: I can understand that, depending on how much you spend time with them. (Or who their friends at school end up being...) I'm nothing like my father in terms of interest. And in the case of Skylanders... I try not to have Elites/Favorites [Same thing in this case]. I /try/ to use each skylander equally, but it's kind of had to do with 144 *S1 only* [Actually 152 *Minis and Reposed Superchargers included* (really actually somewhere in the 300s *All In-Games Variants Included*, but I'm cutting down to S1, Minis, and Reposed SuperChargers only!)] characters. And with Nightfall it is a bit different because she's one of the only 3 Dark characters. And none of the Dark characters even have variants, to make things worse. [At least Light got a Legendary...]

Also, the L and Z blocks villains? I never thought of that, but it completely fits....
#49 Posted: 12:17:26 24/09/2015
They were evil I tell you! hahaha

Well I have a pretty sizable collection...
[User Posted Image]

That was when DI3.0 first came out. I tried to play everyone equally, but frankly I feel my time is too valuable to worry about that. If I don't like a character (anyone with a 'eat' mechanic for instance...unless we get a Kirby Skymiibo...)I won't force myself too. Typically each 'session', I grab any Landers I truly 'want' to play, one of each necessary gimmick (like one Giant when doing Kaos mode in Trap Team for the stupid rocks), then I grab a Lander of each element. Sometimes this means I'll pull out Lgendary Ignitor (meh) or Bash *more meh*, othertimes it means I'm bringing out Drobot (woo hoo) or dino-Rang *w00t* or Prism Break (Boss, at last count I have like 8 of them up there, figures on the left are my customs...still want to get the flocked ones, and I still want a 'Crystal' Prism Break - did a red ruby, but still).

The disc based consoles have been the worst for me. I got one RROD for my 360, my Wii just randomly went out, I hardly ever used it...I bought it because it was hot - like any typical sheep would, not realizing that I don't like 99% of the games, even popular ones like Mario Kart tick me off (anything with CPU assistance is a big *beep* no, if I'm better than you, I don't have a good time with imbalanced things happening to me to make things 'fair'), but its power just stopped working, bought the Wii U to replace it. My XBox was great, I sold it when I got my 360 since it was backwards compatible, but the most important game to me - Def Jam FFNY was NOT, so maybe a year later I hit Craigslist up to buy a XBox just so I could play DJFFNY again. My PSX never entirely died, it had some loose pieces inside...to what I don't know. It was G1 and built like the NES, so no shade there, but I had two PS2s where the AV Connectors somehow got loose, one with a DRE error, and then recently, all the PS2s I bought had some kind of issue. I hate hte current one I have (top loading), but it works.

Oh yeah and women don't know what they want...hehehe. Just enjoy the rollercoaster.
- Unreall
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me