Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Sonic Boom Watchers? [CLOSED]
Camo22 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3501
#1 Posted: 12:05:55 16/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Dose anyone else here watch Sonic Boom? (Because it's based off the game series I figured I could post it here.) It's a spinoff from the Sonic the Hedgehog universe and is pretty good with recent episodes. Well, anyone? (Please only post if you do. Last thing I want is haters)
---
=Fixing Theories since Sep, 2015 / Deviant Art =
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:13:34 16/09/2015 by Camo22
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#2 Posted: 14:17:48 16/09/2015
I watch it.

I think it's a really good show. Humour is very good, and it's charming and entertaining. In fact, a lot of the humour in recent episodes has gotten REALLY meta and even into social commentary territory (JUSTIN BEAVER), which is really good for older viewers like myself. It really can be enjoyed by anyone.

And while I know a lot of people dislike how Knuckles is a complete idiot in the show, I personally don't mind it. I dislike that he turned into that in the main series, but for Sonic Boom, I'm fine with it, as it works for the tone of the show (where it's more about Sonic and co. going on random one-off adventures with little danger than it is about dealing with actually serious threats. Eggman even feels more like a casual rival to Sonic than a legit arch nemesis). And they have made him a bit smarter in recent episodes anyway. Either way, Knuckles and Eggman are my favourites in this show, as they get all of the best lines and they get the craziest episode scenarios.

Also I like how the show doesn't use music a whole lot. It only uses music for action scenes or as part of a gag, rather than having music play over absolutely everything. This is something I feel a lot of cartoons these days miss - you don't need a BGM to make your scene funny or even sincere. Sometimes it's best not to have music accompany everything.

My only real criticism is that some episodes feel like they end abruptly and don't resolve their little story arcs properly. The most notable example I can think of is Eggman's "time loop" episode. His dilemma doesn't actually get resolved in that episode, but then in the next episode they act like it never happened. And it's jarring considering what was actually happening to him. I know that continuity isn't a big thing in this show, but the fact remains that it IS a thing. There are certain elements from earlier episodes that get referenced and carry over or get continued in later episodes, such as the Lightning Bolt Society. So for that reason, I feel story arcs should always be resolved properly, without exception. Because the show feels a little inconsistent otherwise, when they resolve and carry over some things between episodes, but then just completely drop others.

Also I kinda wish the show would have the occasional two or three part episode. The aforementioned time loop episode with Eggman would be a good example of an episode that should have been a two-parter. Another one I can think of would be...

The "Just a Guy" episode. This whole episode builds up to a really interesting, sincere, and relatable moment with Sonic, where he breaks down and gets really pissed off with the villagers and his friends because they nitpick and constantly criticise things like his attitude, yet ignore all of the compassionate things he's done for them, and the countless times he's saved them from Eggman. They expect him to be absolutely perfect or else nothing he does is worth talking about, and then he basically just quits heroism and decides to just live in isolation at his beach house.

This was a really cool episode and Sonic's breakdown was a really well handled scene...but it happens within the last five minutes of the episode and so it's also rushed to be resolved in those five minutes too, so the scene has no impact despite being really well written and acted (Roger Craig Smith did a really powerful job at conveying Sonic's utter frustration). The scene would have had a lot more impact though, if it ended on Sonic leaving the village or whatever, and then the next episode is about his friends and the villagers trying to make amends with him.

This also wouldn't take away from the comedy aspect of the show, there are a lot of jokes they could have pulled from Sonic's friends trying to cheer him up and win him back, but screwing up at it until the end or something.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#3 Posted: 15:49:12 16/09/2015
I've seen a few episodes and I think it's pretty okay. The animation is choppy at times and the characters can be hit or miss, but on the other side of things, the humor's pretty good and Eggman as a character makes up for a lot. He's no doubt the best character in the show imo.

It's not as good as cartoons like Gravity Falls, Rick & Morty, or Steven Universe, but that's not what the show is going for. It doesn't need huge storylines or serious character driven moments because that's not what this show's about. It's just supposed to be a simple comedy show, and as that, It works just fine.
#4 Posted: 02:45:48 17/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks guys. I thought I was the only one.

I like the show a lot. I don't mind the new designs and Tails is the best (Hence the profile pic) He gets all the ladies. Speaking of which, Sonic and Amy . It's happening. I can feel it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:33:23 17/09/2015 by Camo22
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#5 Posted: 03:51:35 17/09/2015
I think this topic would be better in Idle Chatter since it's just focusing on the TV Show.

I've seen a couple of episodes a while back, it's alright but not great smilie
---
words. letters. filler.
#6 Posted: 04:06:18 17/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: TacoMakerSkys
I think this topic would be better in Idle Chatter since it's just focusing on the TV Show.

I've seen a couple of episodes a while back, it's alright but not great smilie

It's based after the Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric game and there are 2 3ds games for it. That's why I assumed.
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#7 Posted: 04:16:19 17/09/2015
I watch it out of irony. I think the show is awful tbh
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#8 Posted: 05:42:15 17/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Well, I don't have a Youtube account but would you like it if I did a episode review and throw in some secrets that I found out. Of course this will be Idle Chatter but would you guys be interested? I'll post a new review ever 2/3 days.
---
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#9 Posted: 05:56:55 17/09/2015
I saw the first Episode. Eh...it was good. I haven't got a chance to see the rest.
#10 Posted: 06:29:22 17/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: KeybasHedKey
I saw the first Episode. Eh...it was good. I haven't got a chance to see the rest.

Well, when I do a review, I'll link it to the episode.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me