darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Is Skylanders Giants a good starter game for the Skylanders franchise?
Page 1 of 1
Is Skylanders Giants a good starter game for the Skylanders franchise? [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#1 Posted: 14:50:24 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I saw the starter pack for Giants for €9.98 at a local store and I'm considering getting it. I'm just wondering what people think of it. Is it considered a good entry in the series?

It's the PS3 version, by the way.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:51:02 30/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 14:54:38 30/08/2015
Not really,but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it for now and play after SSA or SF. People usually agree that it's not the best one in the franchise,and though it's my favorite, I won't lie that it's not exactly good on keeping you up to speed compared to the others. No context is given at one of the starting cutscenes about the NPCs that'll follow you,for example,but the other games are much more subtle in telling to new players who Flynn is,what Cali helps with,etc.

Get the other ones first and then play this for some extra content,since the arena challenges are different to the other games and it's the last one to have Heroic Challenges, I'd suggest. Now,if SSA or SF is better, I have no idea since I played as they came out and I don't have the latter.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:56:51 30/08/2015 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 15:17:26 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't really care so much for the story and lore, I just wanted to try one Skylanders game for the gameplay and figurine functionality. I don't plan to buy any other figures besides what comes in the starter pack.

From that perspective, is it still good enough to just dive into? The other game starter packs, including Spyro's Adventure, are still priced at a level I'm not willing to pay, and since I don't plan to collect them, I just wanna know if Giants is good from a gameplay standpoint/if it gives me the gist of how the figures work.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:18:48 30/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#4 Posted: 15:18:38 30/08/2015
I did enjoy the game and I'd say pick it up for that price. The replay value isn't anywhere near as good as what Swap Force or Superchargers offers but it is still a ton of fun. As for it being considered a good entry in the series, it's quite the controversial game - some people absolutely love it, some people think it's 'meh' and some people consider it the low point in the series.
#5 Posted: 15:22:10 30/08/2015
If lore and collecting aren't what you want anyway,then go for it. But there are a ton of Giants-compatible figures going used for absurdly low prices, so you can easily pick at least an extra one for more Heroic Challenges and gameplay variation.
---
#6 Posted: 15:42:23 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I was thinking of picking up a Spyro figure since I grew up with Spyro. I would also buy Cynder, but luckily she comes with the pack anyway so I won't have to hunt for her.

Depending on how much I like it, I may buy some extra ones to unlock extra content, but it's not a priority. I also may consider buying other games in the series on their own if I find them cheap. I really don't have the room to be collecting Skylanders right now though, nor do I want to be pouring money into another series of collectibles. I already have Amiibos for that, as well as other collectibles I have purchased recently. I just want to see what Skylanders is like as a game, to have my own experience with it, and all that.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:43:55 30/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#7 Posted: 15:43:52 30/08/2015
No obligation in that in the series, you really can finish with just your favorites if you don't want to 100%. If you have a particular playstyle in mind(melee,ranged,combination of those, weird gameplay), I could also recommend a character or two if you'd like.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:44:31 30/08/2015 by Bifrost
#8 Posted: 15:46:11 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm sure I won't mind playing as whoever. I typically go for speedy characters in games like this, or characters with a lot of variety and options, but I can adapt to any playstyle really. For the purpose of just trying the game, I'm content with just using whoever the pack gives me + Spyro. I reckon Spyro is probably designed for beginners anyway.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:46:51 30/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#9 Posted: 15:57:08 30/08/2015
Spyro's series 2 might be better for the job then,he has two speed-enhancing moves(flight and dash) but only one really helps a whole lot - but the Series 2 figure gives the flight attack some area of effect.

For speedy characters, you can't go any better than Roller Brawl,but she isn't compatible until SF and foward. In the first two games, Stealth Elf,Flameslinger and Fright Rider are some with notable fast moves and really good dashes,though they might make the game too easy since they're overpowered at this point in the series. But those are just suggestions really so you have someplace to start, over time you'll probably discover someone who's more suited to what you like or fun even without being too strong.
---
#10 Posted: 16:16:45 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm not sure if I can find Series 2 Spyro locally, but I will check anyway. He's on eBay anyway if I can't find him.

Also, 2 more questions:

1) The Portal of Power that I get with Giants will work on every system and every Skylanders game, right?
2) Just how much content is locked behind the different elements? Would just the starter figures + Spyro give me a decent coverage of most of the game's areas?
---
#11 Posted: 16:24:35 30/08/2015
1- Not really. Giants Portal works with Giants,SSA,and Superchargers,but for SF and TT you'll need theirs. If you buy a Traptanium Portal,however,it works across all five games.
2-Elements cover Elemental Gates and a small bonus treasure room on the hub. Some Elemental Gates are huge and even contain mini boss battles,but they're far out and between - if you want the best ones,Life,Undead and Fire have my favorites,and with that you only need a Fire character extra. Air I think has the least exciting ones really; Magic areas that Spyro would unlock are medium sized and have some simple block puzzles.
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#12 Posted: 18:09:45 30/08/2015
Thats probably the best bang for your buck , you going to get . I would say GO 4 IT !!! Its no better or worse then any other skylander game .

The SSA level toys still work in Giants but not in Swopforce or Trap Team . Unlike Trapsters or Swoppers , you only need one Giant . You just need to complete the other elements and everything is open in the game

Giants and SSA portals are the same so if you want SSA later, you just need to buy the game itself . Those without portals are dirt cheap .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#13 Posted: 18:17:43 30/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I got the Starter Pack anyway:

[User Posted Image]

They were just closing up the shopping centre so I didn't get a chance to look for Spyro, but I will check back tomorrow and if I can't find him I will buy him online.

I will probably play this when I finish with Kingdom Hearts 2, as a break before jumping into Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

Thanks for the help guys!
---
#14 Posted: 18:20:26 30/08/2015
No problem! Hope you like it, and good luck finding Spyro later!
---
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#15 Posted: 18:45:53 30/08/2015
Smyths normally have fantastic sales for previous figures.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#16 Posted: 09:58:51 31/08/2015
I would suggest cleaning up the elements (Fire, Earth, Water, Tech, Magic) if you snag Spyros Adventure, that will fill three of those holes, and the other two can be shored up with the Empire of Ice and Pirate seas adventure packs, both of which add a new level to the first two games.

Use characters and sets can be found decently cheap at this point.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#17 Posted: 20:25:46 09/09/2015
giants is like a expansion pack of ssa worth get
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me