Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Do you ever feel like real life is too mundane?
Page 1 of 1
Do you ever feel like real life is too mundane? [CLOSED]
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#1 Posted: 04:38:43 26/08/2015 | Topic Creator
In movies, TV shows, books, and video games there are always exciting adventures going on, there are always hidden secrets to be found, there's always a purpose to events.

Yet real life is just....bleh. Even when I decide to randomly go explore the woods or something, it's like...what's the point? It's not like I'll encounter some amazing life changing discovery like in a movie or some secret underground dungeon with magic treasure to find like in a video game. Instead I just end up walking into spiderwebs and stepping in animal poop. It's so much more satisfying to just pop in a copy of Legend of Zelda or something, because there your adventures will always have purpose.

Real life needs a better writer.
---
Boop me if you see this.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#2 Posted: 04:45:41 26/08/2015
Well if fictional creations were made to be like real life nobody would want to spend money on them. The whole point of watching, reading, and playing these things is to escape reality and enjoy yourself lol

But yeah I agree, compared to these stories, every day life can be pretty boring, and sort of disappointing, actually.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:46:31 26/08/2015 by AvatariDragon
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#3 Posted: 05:06:55 26/08/2015
im 18 wheres my ****ing story already
if theres no adventure for me to embark on then wHY AM I HERE
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#4 Posted: 05:09:52 26/08/2015
True, I am ready for a real adventure in my life.
---
Spread those positive vibes
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#5 Posted: 05:10:43 26/08/2015
Life is an adventure~

Of course, it can still be a very boring one >.<
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#6 Posted: 05:17:18 26/08/2015
New skill tree acquired: Girlfriend!
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#7 Posted: 05:42:18 26/08/2015
Quote: MoonHorizons

i must have lost an entire skill tree then
#8 Posted: 06:01:27 26/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
Quote: MoonHorizons

i must have lost an entire skill tree then

Fortunately there's a replacement skill tree that involves ice cream and lots of alone time with hentai.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#9 Posted: 07:54:22 26/08/2015
That gave me an idea for a wall of text. I'll have to get typing when I get home.

Edit: Didn't have time today unfortunately. Let's try again tomorrow.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:21:11 26/08/2015 by Samius
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#10 Posted: 10:09:17 26/08/2015
Remember: You're the protagonist in your own story.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#11 Posted: 11:59:17 26/08/2015
just be happy you don't live in a 2D universe
---
tubular
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10205
#12 Posted: 13:27:01 26/08/2015
Everyday life is routine-filled, mundane, stale, boring and all that for everybody everywhere. Since fiction tends to cut all the boring necessary material from the storytelling, it is oriented more in the content and intriguing pacing therefore it tends to tempt people to ache for the unrealistic simulation of it into their own lives. Life is a journey, an adventure or whatever but the high-points which give oneself the rush are usually here and there lost in the sea of mundane everyday boredom. Let us remember that if we all would experience life-altering moments every damn day those enlightened discoveries would lose their meaning if there is one at the first place.

All in all, life is just life. It is mostly filled with empty necessities but there are moments to wait and live for. Fiction exists for the purpose of escaping the reality for a certain period of time. Carry on people…
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:29:34 26/08/2015 by Project_Unnamed
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#13 Posted: 13:30:42 26/08/2015
Quote: valskeletor
just be happy you don't live in a 2D universe

but 2d is easier to program than 3d

if life was 2d i wouldn't have to clip through floors when i walk down the street, or see people like this everyday, fml

[User Posted Image]
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Reverse0456 Gold Sparx Gems: 2440
#14 Posted: 14:19:30 26/08/2015
I don't think I have any true Social Links...that sounds right to be honest though. I also wonder where the Velvet room door is hmm...
---
POPSMARTS!
#15 Posted: 16:10:03 26/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Project_Unnamed
Everyday life is routine-filled, mundane, stale, boring and all that for everybody everywhere. Since fiction tends to cut all the boring necessary material from the storytelling, it is oriented more in the content and intriguing pacing therefore it tends to tempt people to ache for the unrealistic simulation of it into their own lives. Life is a journey, an adventure or whatever but the high-points which give oneself the rush are usually here and there lost in the sea of mundane everyday boredom. Let us remember that if we all would experience life-altering moments every damn day those enlightened discoveries would lose their meaning if there is one at the first place.

All in all, life is just life. It is mostly filled with empty necessities but there are moments to wait and live for. Fiction exists for the purpose of escaping the reality for a certain period of time. Carry on people…

I'm not saying that life should be constant high points, just that the high points it does have are pretty damn underwhelming. I mean what are the high points in most people's lives? Marriage? Buying a house? Procreation? Bah.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:11:48 26/08/2015 by Muffin Man
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#16 Posted: 16:35:16 26/08/2015
Eh. i like my life.
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#17 Posted: 16:42:31 26/08/2015
Quote: Muffin Man

I'm not saying that life should be constant high points, just that the high points it does have are pretty damn underwhelming. I mean what are the high points in most people's lives? Marriage? Buying a house? Procreation? Bah.

Or going on an awesome trip, doing some huge project you'll show to the world(book,animation,movie, art?),or working on what you love the most without too many finicial issues,or finding out the lesser known cool things in nature?
It really changes from person to person. And to think of it, if we did have fantasy stuff in real life, we'd probably be bored at that as well eventually.After all, it'd stop being new and unusual. It wouldn't be less cool,but it'd probably become sorta mundane too.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#18 Posted: 17:04:39 26/08/2015
idk man i had some pretty wild adventures when i did stuff like going to the dmv or burning microwave mac n cheese or waiting in an elevator
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#19 Posted: 17:09:12 26/08/2015

Those "High points" aren't very "high" in my eyes.

In fact they seem pretty boring/mundane. >.>
I mean of all the things one can live for, why live solely for, something like Marriage/Procreation (<As examples)? What a waste of a life that could easily turn out being.

Why not do something productive with your life instead of doing what literally every other Human being ever has done, and will continue to do??

(Again, this is just an example.)
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#20 Posted: 17:20:26 26/08/2015
I agree honestly. I'm constantly thinking on how to make life much more interesting...yet there's no way I can
It's pissing me off at this rate actually.
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#21 Posted: 17:22:06 26/08/2015
people need to focus more on dream science

then all of this could be real at some point

sort of
---
You can't handle MEMES
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#22 Posted: 18:20:47 26/08/2015
I'm more worried how people molding media into real life with reality shows and "sitcoms" to pander to the average family unit than people with individual identities and personalities. Less Simpsons and more fantasy.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10205
#23 Posted: 18:41:00 26/08/2015

The sensation of those high points is highly subjective so it is up to the individual to give value, meaning and expectations to them. Our values determine the good and the bad things we experience and when achieving the high point when the achievement matches that world of values we have should give us the feeling of being rewarded. When taken what said into account it is quite clear that traditionally valued achievements such as job, children and, to certain extent marriage, can lose their satisfaction effect if one really does not esteem them highly in life.

Of course if one doesn’t feel a thing even when reaching values it is then time to think about the level of expectations. Nowadays when everything is over-hyped and romanticized it is easy to think that those good things one wants and works for will feel like no other thing in this known universe, preliminary expectations are so unrealistically high and therefore can lead only to disappointment or indifference in real life when going through the experience. Of course if nothing one cares about actually gives the positive feels and sensations it is time to think about getting help but that is a field which is not my area of expertise so I shall leave it only up for possibly quite interesting speculation in what I will not participate in.

So what I’m trying to say even though I sound like a gibbering idiot that if everything feels so mundane even in the high points that you consider worthy of having do not bring you the expected amount of thrills, it is time to lower your expectations or ponder rather profoundly about your values and what do you stand for.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#24 Posted: 18:56:52 26/08/2015
Stop what you're doing right now.

Stand up, look around.

What do you see?

It's life. It's your life.

All those people? They're real.

All those things? They're real.

Every second, an eternity falls into place.

Every eternity, a cycle revolves.

The cycle drives forth every aspect of reality and fantasy into the streams of our hearts and minds.

You are alive.

Your heart is beating.
Your lungs are breathing.
Your brain is thinking.

Every moment is an adventure.

Is life still mundane?

Quote: StevemacQ
I'm more worried how people molding media into real life with reality shows and "sitcoms" to pander to the average family unit than people with individual identities and personalities. Less Simpsons and more fantasy.

The Simpsons is satirical of almost every aspect of entertainment and popular culture imaginable.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:58:25 26/08/2015 by Metallo
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#25 Posted: 23:32:44 26/08/2015
honestly thats probably why people go kill people
they get bored or something

EDIT: metallo, being aware of whats happening doesnt always change how someone perceives stuff
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:34:50 26/08/2015 by Ninpire
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#26 Posted: 00:49:42 27/08/2015
Quote: Metallo
Stop what you're doing right now.

Stand up, look around.

What do you see?

It's life. It's your life.

All those people? They're real.

All those things? They're real.

Every second, an eternity falls into place.

Every eternity, a cycle revolves.

The cycle drives forth every aspect of reality and fantasy into the streams of our hearts and minds.

You are alive.

Your heart is beating.
Your lungs are breathing.
Your brain is thinking.

Every moment is an adventure.

Is life still mundane?

Pretty much yeah
---
now its time to get funky
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#27 Posted: 01:19:30 27/08/2015
Metallo has the right idea. Really just try to think a bit about the world around you. Realize that you believe you have a complicated life of problems, relationships, friendships, family, and drama that you could probably write a book or autobiography about. Then, realize that there's over 7 billion people on the planet with a similarly complex web of a life as you, that itself could also make a book if they wanted to write about it.

Things can get rather interesting when you try to take concepts like that and boil them down to more basic or complex ideas. Same thing with the technology we have and how we got to the modern day (this is where history comes in). The universe beyond us, and the theory that there could perhaps be alternate dimensions or a series of universes within a multiverse. Maybe even a simple thing like how stoves work and thinking about that could probably take a boring moment and make it at least a little more interesting until the next event comes around.

Also going through the woods you can find interesting things. Maybe it's just me talking since I'm a city boy but going through new places can offer new and interesting experiences.

Life is hard and I do have complaints about it, but as far as life being boring is concerned the only complaint I have is that we don't have Pokemon. I'm serious.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:23:14 27/08/2015 by CAV
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#28 Posted: 03:18:34 27/08/2015
Quote: CAV
Metallo has the right idea. Really just try to think a bit about the world around you. Realize that you believe you have a complicated life of problems, relationships, friendships, family, and drama that you could probably write a book or autobiography about. Then, realize that there's over 7 billion people on the planet with a similarly complex web of a life as you, that itself could also make a book if they wanted to write about it.

Things can get rather interesting when you try to take concepts like that and boil them down to more basic or complex ideas. Same thing with the technology we have and how we got to the modern day (this is where history comes in). The universe beyond us, and the theory that there could perhaps be alternate dimensions or a series of universes within a multiverse. Maybe even a simple thing like how stoves work and thinking about that could probably take a boring moment and make it at least a little more interesting until the next event comes around.

Also going through the woods you can find interesting things. Maybe it's just me talking since I'm a city boy but going through new places can offer new and interesting experiences.

Life is hard and I do have complaints about it, but as far as life being boring is concerned the only complaint I have is that we don't have Pokemon. I'm serious.

I'd love to explore forests, as soon as Las Vegas grows a couple smilie.
---
Dead
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#29 Posted: 01:09:30 28/08/2015
i don't really think about it too much?

silly stream of consciousness thoughts about this (a warning for no proofreading)
- you might be asking the same questions if you were living these lives. fiction, be it realistic or not, tends to have a sense of exploration to it, a sense of wonder and what you're delving in -- an appreciation for development of characters. these characters are more often than not, not quite you, and if it's a game with character customization, your character is still influenced by the events around them, so they can't purely be you, they are still limited by the limitations and choices that the game offers.
- things that may seem adventurous in fiction can often not be very adventurous to the one experiencing them. it's hard to appreciate things like your own character development, it's hard to realize things, thing are moving and you may not always get the full picture.
- you may not even experience an adventurous life if you were in some kind of mystical world with strange happenings, as most fiction goes, it depends on oddly specific circumstances that most wouldn't honestly experience. it can depend on money, the family (or something else) you're born into (as this often goes IRL)
- what isn't mundane about this life is probably the fact that you can read all this fiction. you can immerse yourself in these worlds. you can write, you can create, even if you think it might not be good (or even if it takes a long time to get good). life can seem pretty boring (even though it often is not, it just depends on who you are and what you consider boring or not. it's not wrong to think of life as boring since it often also is "mundane", but sometimes...perhaps that is for the better).
- a lot of adventures don't have a set purpose. a lot of adventures are just ... that. what they are. but the way things occur in the world is strange. perhaps you can visit the same woods everyday and have barely anything change, or perhaps the more you visit you will start noticing how much can change about the woods, even if its small. i used to visit the woods that are near my house -- not very big "woods", not very much of a forest and it was honestly dying -- but after a while, (and i don't notice details very well, mind you. even though i always hoped i'd be someone who could notice such things...it just isn't how i am) it was strange. (okay i have no idea where i am going with this part)
- uhh idk i lost my train of thought lol
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#30 Posted: 01:14:19 28/08/2015
@OP
Such true
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#31 Posted: 01:47:48 28/08/2015
Quote: CAV

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

It's all fun n' games with the Greninjas and the Mewtwos and the Lucarios - but then you look at these guys.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#32 Posted: 15:01:13 28/08/2015
^I was thinking closer to pets like snivys and torchics over mewtwo, but you take the good with the bad and just stay out of their way the same way you would dangerous animals out here.
#33 Posted: 15:12:39 28/08/2015
if pokemon were real, we'd get bored of them soon enough. it'd be like getting a new toy as a kid that you wanted a lot (but on a larger scale). eventually, you would get bored of it (and maybe not even want it anymore).
---
You can't handle MEMES
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#34 Posted: 16:08:13 28/08/2015
That's why I'm a dragon.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#35 Posted: 17:35:37 28/08/2015
i think people forget that training pokemon in real life would suck, i am not walking across an entire country ON FOOT with dangerous fire lizards or whatever. you can't walk two feet in a cave without a zubat trying to rip your face off, and don't even get me started on tall grass that's everywhere. and gang members
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#36 Posted: 17:38:03 28/08/2015
the good thing about pokemon suddenly appearing on our world is that i would have a valid reason for staying inside.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#37 Posted: 18:00:50 28/08/2015
if i had to live in a video game i'd want to live in animal crossing because i'd be least likely to get killed
---
You can't handle MEMES
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#38 Posted: 16:26:26 29/08/2015
Quote: Big Green
i think people forget that training pokemon in real life would suck, i am not walking across an entire country ON FOOT with dangerous fire lizards or whatever. you can't walk two feet in a cave without a zubat trying to rip your face off, and don't even get me started on tall grass that's everywhere. and gang members

Also the really rich people would just organize a squad of Pokémon catchers to go and get, like, Dialga or some thing. The Squad catches Dialga, gives it to Mr. Stinkinrich, and he would literally control time (if he can control it anyway). I mean, he doesn't like what some guy said to him? He makes Dialga go back in time and stop the guy from being born...POOF!
---
Dead
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me