Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > What do you think will be the next big fandom
Page 1 of 1
What do you think will be the next big fandom [CLOSED]
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#1 Posted: 00:17:50 20/08/2015 | Topic Creator
like it or not MLP fandom spread through the Internet fast and hard. do you see another fandom going to be like that, and what would that fandom be?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 00:19:20 20/08/2015
Steven Universe right now. It's going through the same phase and also the same growing pains of the fandom. Just at a different part of the internet and with a different demographic.

Also to a shorter extent FNAF but I'm starting to think that's on its way out.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:20:06 20/08/2015 by CAV
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#3 Posted: 01:38:06 20/08/2015
Maybe Star vs the Forces of Evil
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#4 Posted: 01:56:50 20/08/2015
League of Legends seems like a popular game at the moment. I've never played though and don't intend to. But it was everywhere at the previous con I went to and a lot of people cosplayed from it. :\

Steven Universe appears on my dash a lot, so definitely that. It seems like it's more popular on tumblr than anywhere else though lol. Gravity Falls is pretty popular atm too, at a lesser extent. Adventure Time and My Little Pony are still popular but I think the fandom is slowly dying now.

Homestuck was another one back in like, 2010, and I think the fandom was at it's peak in 2012. It's a shame the fandom has died now. But it's no surprising considering the constant pauses and the fact that it's still going, and it really sucks now after the giant pause (the fandom sucks now too, and has gotten worse).
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:57:09 20/08/2015 by DarkCynder_543
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#5 Posted: 01:57:44 20/08/2015
minions
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#6 Posted: 01:58:29 20/08/2015
I kinda thought Jurassic World would be bigger than it was :/
---
now its time to get funky
#7 Posted: 01:58:55 20/08/2015
Frozen.

and kh3 might become popular again once the third game finally gets released. although that's more just me hoping that it will lmao.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:00:43 20/08/2015 by DarkCynder_543
slambam104 Gold Sparx Gems: 2464
#8 Posted: 02:07:20 20/08/2015
I would say and agree with others that Steven Universe is pretty big at the moment. I don't really see why, it doesn't entertain me. But don't take me wrong, I'm fine with others going all fanboy/Girl on about it.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#9 Posted: 02:12:58 20/08/2015
Quote: xXBeavcoonXx
I kinda thought Jurassic World would be bigger than it was :/

Well it did become the third highest grossing movie of all time
#10 Posted: 02:29:11 20/08/2015
Quote: StriderSwag
minions

Maybe in the larger more general pop culture sure but even there there's loads of people who are already clearly sick of them (pretty much all us edgy teens and young adults).

I think he's asking about the next big, online based underground fandom akin to what bronies were (huge online but not necessarily that big outside it).
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#11 Posted: 02:32:00 20/08/2015
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Frozen.

and kh3 might become popular again once the third game finally gets released. although that's more just me hoping that it will lmao.

KH is more popular than most people realise already (even Square Enix and Disney have admitted this), but yeah, KH3 will be huge. It's one of the most hyped games period right now, on any system, and a lot of people want a PS4 just for it. It's going to be everywhere when it comes out, and especially when we see the inevitable Frozen world.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:32:41 20/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#12 Posted: 02:35:26 20/08/2015
I feel like it'll be something that hasn't been made yet tbh. Like there are a few reboot shows that are supposed to be airing soon, so maybe something like that? I dunno.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
huge dotd freak Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#13 Posted: 03:40:20 20/08/2015
Maybe the sherlock Fandom will grow if it ever freaking comes back
---
Do you not like my mouth words?
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#14 Posted: 03:43:42 20/08/2015
Straight Outta Compton Yuri/Yaoi incoming
---
words. letters. filler.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#15 Posted: 03:48:51 20/08/2015
Either Minions (wouldnt surprise me) or an entire Frozen Fandom when Frozen 2 comes out
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
prextail202 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4039
#16 Posted: 03:56:21 20/08/2015
I have a feeling Hetalia'll come back because of its new season out soon
Or Star vs the Forces of Evil or Steven Universe
Though FNAF might make a comeback somehow too
---
di ****n molto or whatever I guess
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#17 Posted: 03:56:58 20/08/2015
Some indy horror game in the future.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#18 Posted: 04:30:41 20/08/2015
I have no idea. I think the MLP fandom will be around for a long time still. Hasbro certainly won't stop coming up with things for them to pay for.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#19 Posted: 05:08:27 20/08/2015
Quote: Samius
I have no idea. I think the MLP fandom will be around for a long time still. Hasbro certainly won't stop coming up with things for them to pay for.

Then there are the Bronies who don't buy anything #Guilty
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#20 Posted: 06:55:51 20/08/2015

Yeah but as far as being the big fandom on the internet is concerned bronies have had their time. More and more prominent figures are leaving the fanbase while seemingly less people are stepping up to take their place. And while I'm out of the loop the fanbase seems to universally think the show is starting to drop in quality (though from what I've seen I think it's just fine).

Meanwhile Steven Universe is a wildfire on tumblr that doesn't seem to show signs of stopping. Expect it to be the new big thing for the next couple of years.
#21 Posted: 08:10:13 20/08/2015
Quote: CAV

Yeah but as far as being the big fandom on the internet is concerned bronies have had their time. More and more prominent figures are leaving the fanbase while seemingly less people are stepping up to take their place. And while I'm out of the loop the fanbase seems to universally think the show is starting to drop in quality (though from what I've seen I think it's just fine).

Meanwhile Steven Universe is a wildfire on tumblr that doesn't seem to show signs of stopping. Expect it to be the new big thing for the next couple of years.

I don't doubt that tumblr is all over it. For that exact reason I also don't think it'll ever grow up to be as big a thing as MLP is (or rather, was).
People probably won't like me saying this, but the direction and the focus of social media has always been mostly dictated by the medium of young men. This is because of the fact that most of the content creators are young men, and the simple fact that there are more men than women online.
If I'm not completely mistaken (which I might be), the active tumblr userbase is mostly female. Their perceived focus is largely dictated by that majority.

And no, this doesn't mean that men couldn't like the show, but I seriously doubt that it will reach the same amount of visibility. Which is what we're looking for here, right?

Again, this is just my assessment of the situation. I can't claim with 100% certainty that this is what will happen.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:11:32 20/08/2015 by Samius
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#22 Posted: 11:16:07 20/08/2015

I dunno man, MLP seemed to pretty much explode with popularity. It was like you couldn't go anywhere, online and IRL, without seeing a bunch of stuff related to it. To this day I still see stores selling the stuff. Steven Universe might be popular on tumblr yeah (although tbh I hardly ever see stuff about it but maybe it's because the blogs I follow don't post about it), but it hasn't really reached the MLP level imo. Like it's already been out for like two years and I really don't hear about it all that much except for when someone on here posts about it. Maybe it'll just take more time sort of like MLP, but I don't really see it happening tbh.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#23 Posted: 11:41:02 20/08/2015
****ing SU... yay...
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#24 Posted: 12:01:24 20/08/2015
If you ask me, less merchandise is pretty much a good thing. It's probably not going to happen that I start hating SU, but I can easily get tired of something if it's being shoved in my face everywhere.

Quote: Sleepy0429
****ing SU... yay...

Thought you liked Malachite…
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#25 Posted: 12:11:26 20/08/2015

I don't doubt that tumblr is all over it. For that exact reason I also don't think it'll ever grow up to be as big a thing as MLP is (or rather, was).
People probably won't like me saying this, but the direction and the focus of social media has always been mostly dictated by the medium of young men. This is because of the fact that most of the content creators are young men, and the simple fact that there are more men than women online.
If I'm not completely mistaken (which I might be), the active tumblr userbase is mostly female. Their perceived focus is largely dictated by that majority.

And no, this doesn't mean that men couldn't like the show, but I seriously doubt that it will reach the same amount of visibility. Which is what we're looking for here, right?

Again, this is just my assessment of the situation. I can't claim with 100% certainty that this is what will happen.

If we are going by gender appeal logic, Steven Universe has a much easier time appealing to men than MLP does. While the majority of characters are female, the main protagonist isn't. And the females are generally portrayed as fairly cool and powerful and not overly feminine for the most part, unlike with MLP which is just super girly in general. Steven Universe is also structured more like an anime, in that it actually has ongoing story arcs and character development across the whole show. As opposed to MLP, which for the most part, is just girls doing girly things.

Though maybe the girlyness of MLP is what made it take off so much. Guys liked it and made a big deal out of it because "OMG I LIKE PONIES????".
---
#26 Posted: 14:36:10 20/08/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182

If we are going by gender appeal logic, Steven Universe has a much easier time appealing to men than MLP does. While the majority of characters are female, the main protagonist isn't. And the females are generally portrayed as fairly cool and powerful and not overly feminine for the most part, unlike with MLP which is just super girly in general. Steven Universe is also structured more like an anime, in that it actually has ongoing story arcs and character development across the whole show. As opposed to MLP, which for the most part, is just girls doing girly things.

Though maybe the girlyness of MLP is what made it take off so much. Guys liked it and made a big deal out of it because "OMG I LIKE PONIES????".

That's actually not the point I was after, I'll try to elaborate a bit.

What you said might be the case if we were talking about preteens. Preteens are way more divided in their interests due to their gender than any other age group is. I've never even heard of a preteen male MLP fan, but a lot of them might like a show like Steven Universe. This is because little boys hate stuff that seem girly and vice versa.

However, we are not talking about young boys, we're talking about young men. Approximately 16-30 (though 30 is kinda pushing it) year-old teenagers and adults. It's no longer a case of boys liking boyish things and girls liking girlish things, it's a question of "what will these young adults find interest in?" And the nature of that interest is irrelevant.
Take MLP for example. Bronies don't like MLP because it's girly, they like it because they're attracted to the characters of the show, period. It might even have a great story or whatever, but that's not the reason why people watch it. It could've been anything, but in this case it was obviously the characters that did it.

The reason I look to the online activity of young men as an indicator of any media product's success, is that these are the people who are the driving force behind any fandom. The 16- to 30-year-old male is one of the most sought after demographics to engage with anywhere in the world. If you're a marketer, unless you're marketing women's attire you need them to make a successful anything.
They spend the most money and create/distribute the vast majority of all fan-made content; And the only difference between a "fandom" and a "personal interest" is the amount of content available to create a sense of community. Content like art, fanfics, groups and forums (like darkSpyro), etc.

So it's not really about the fact that they're male, though it probably does correlate with it, it's about the fact that they're the active majority. MLP wasn't anything revolutionary, but it hit the right spot and gained huge amounts of visibility really fast. In the current situation, to top that Steven Universe would have to do the same, only better, and I'm just not seeing it.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:39:55 20/08/2015 by Samius
#27 Posted: 15:34:08 20/08/2015
Ah, I get what you mean.

Still, while Steven Universe isn't quite at MLP level yet, it's getting there. Unlike MLP, the female characters are of a broad range of body archetypes and actually resemble humans, and have a lot of sensual interactions in the show. MLP did partially catch on to a lot of young men because of some weird fetish stuff. I can see SU catching on for similar reasons (in fact it already has), since the female characters fit under a wide range of body types to begin with, while MLP had all of the ponies look more or less the same, and the fetishistic side of the fandom had to make up anthro bodytypes for them.

[User Posted Image]

As well as that, like I mentioned, SU has a lot of similarities to and influences from Japanese anime, in both certain visual stylistic choices, and in the style of it's narrative. It's lore and the laws of it's universe can actually be fairly complex and convoluted at times, and young men tend to love that kind of thing. It also has a lot of DBZ-esque action sequences (not to mention borrowing the concept of "fusion" pretty much straight outta DBZ), and well, we know how popular that is.

Even just looking at promotional posters for SU and MLP, I'd easily say it more immediately appeals to the "16-30 year old men" age demographic than MLP does.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

That is unless lolicon is suddenly the most popular thing ever among young men...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:08 20/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#28 Posted: 15:54:33 20/08/2015

Yes, and at the same time no. While tumblr probably likely is predominantly female, that can still allow it to spread pretty far and fast (at least enough to where someone like my IRL best friend (male) demands that I check the show out). And the fact that Steven Universe is by default more gender neutral in appeal and design (and apparently even in character?) means it'll have a considerably easier time gaining large appeal compared to MLP.

No matter how bronies want to say "FAUST SAID IT'S FOR EVERYONE", MLP by design is geared towards younger females and older crowds (particularly men) getting into it is nothing short of a freak miracle. And while it definitely spread large and fast to where it was a staple of Hot Topic and the like it was also met with vicious opposition that balanced it out (you would never see MLP on the front page of Imgur, for example). Other people who weren't into the show saw fans of the show as freaks and against the norm that shouldn't be watching a show like that, and rarely did they budge. MLP got as big as it did but it also had a mountain of hatred behind it.

Steven Universe on the other hand doesn't or shouldn't have this problem. Like most Cartoon Network shows past and present SU isn't meant to appeal specifically to boys or girls, but rather everyone. It's not extremely geared towards one gender or demographic, and people outside the loop may not (and do not) have much issue with people liking that show. It seems honestly not much different from liking Adventure Time (though that seems more towards boys). I just don't see people strongly opposing the show SU like they did MLP. I only ever see hate for the fanbase, and that's a sentiment that exists even with people who enjoy the show, so that's some growing pains they'll have to deal with over time.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a guarantee that Steven Universe will match the popularity and near epidemic craze that MLP had. But it's certainly in a better position for it than MLP frankly had any right to be. MLP is a good show (and I don't understand why people who talk about good modern cartoon shows like to exclude it) but the brony culture is a niche that happened to explode and spread everywhere. SU isn't really a niche since by default it truly does seem to be for everyone. And while you can say the same for shows like Wander Over Yonder or Regular Show, SU already has a sizable (and loud) following to back it up.

Quote: AvatariDragon
I dunno man, MLP seemed to pretty much explode with popularity. It was like you couldn't go anywhere, online and IRL, without seeing a bunch of stuff related to it. To this day I still see stores selling the stuff. Steven Universe might be popular on tumblr yeah (although tbh I hardly ever see stuff about it but maybe it's because the blogs I follow don't post about it), but it hasn't really reached the MLP level imo. Like it's already been out for like two years and I really don't hear about it all that much except for when someone on here posts about it. Maybe it'll just take more time sort of like MLP, but I don't really see it happening tbh.

I'm just noticing a slight pattern. Honestly the big one in mind is how from the start some dS users started adopting SU avatars (similar to what happened with MLP here). And now it's reaching a point where it's often mentioned among reasons why modern cartoons are great, and tumblr is all over it, and I've heard of so much drama pertaining to it (again similar to the growing pains of bronies).

I could very well be wrong. But as far as what we currently have right now, SU is probably the best candidate.

EDIT:

What you said might be the case if we were talking about preteens. Preteens are way more divided in their interests due to their gender than any other age group is. I've never even heard of a preteen male MLP fan, but a lot of them might like a show like Steven Universe. This is because little boys hate stuff that seem girly and vice versa.

They do exist out there (and I recall there actually being a story of one attempting suicide because of the ensuing harassment), so it's not like preteen boys can't or don't like the show.

That said however, go to a convention like I have and you'll tend to get the idea of who watches the show. Men our age. Women our age or older. Couples. Parents who got into the show as much as their children did. I recall someone at the con who looked in his 60s and had the same glowing expression of a child or teen when asking Nicole Oliver (Celestia) a question at the Q&A.

So for the most part you're right but MLP's appeal has somehow been almost universal. Though it is predominantly the young adult males who go crazy about the show and made it into what it is today.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:01:58 20/08/2015 by CAV
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#29 Posted: 03:10:18 21/08/2015
Quote: StormDragon21
If you ask me, less merchandise is pretty much a good thing. It's probably not going to happen that I start hating SU, but I can easily get tired of something if it's being shoved in my face everywhere.

Quote: Sleepy0429
****ing SU... yay...

Thought you liked Malachite…

I do but I hate big fandoms. That is why I love Godzilla and the fandom.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#30 Posted: 03:11:24 21/08/2015
Something a YouTuber will play and it'll get a huge following just because of that
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#31 Posted: 03:44:56 21/08/2015
i like steven universe and i know a lot of people in and out of real life who do so
#32 Posted: 08:18:45 21/08/2015

Yes, and at the same time no. While tumblr probably likely is predominantly female, that can still allow it to spread pretty far and fast (at least enough to where someone like my IRL best friend (male) demands that I check the show out). And the fact that Steven Universe is by default more gender neutral in appeal and design (and apparently even in character?) means it'll have a considerably easier time gaining large appeal compared to MLP.

No matter how bronies want to say "FAUST SAID IT'S FOR EVERYONE", MLP by design is geared towards younger females and older crowds (particularly men) getting into it is nothing short of a freak miracle. And while it definitely spread large and fast to where it was a staple of Hot Topic and the like it was also met with vicious opposition that balanced it out (you would never see MLP on the front page of Imgur, for example). Other people who weren't into the show saw fans of the show as freaks and against the norm that shouldn't be watching a show like that, and rarely did they budge. MLP got as big as it did but it also had a mountain of hatred behind it.

Steven Universe on the other hand doesn't or shouldn't have this problem. Like most Cartoon Network shows past and present SU isn't meant to appeal specifically to boys or girls, but rather everyone. It's not extremely geared towards one gender or demographic, and people outside the loop may not (and do not) have much issue with people liking that show. It seems honestly not much different from liking Adventure Time (though that seems more towards boys). I just don't see people strongly opposing the show SU like they did MLP. I only ever see hate for the fanbase, and that's a sentiment that exists even with people who enjoy the show, so that's some growing pains they'll have to deal with over time.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a guarantee that Steven Universe will match the popularity and near epidemic craze that MLP had. But it's certainly in a better position for it than MLP frankly had any right to be. MLP is a good show (and I don't understand why people who talk about good modern cartoon shows like to exclude it) but the brony culture is a niche that happened to explode and spread everywhere. SU isn't really a niche since by default it truly does seem to be for everyone. And while you can say the same for shows like Wander Over Yonder or Regular Show, SU already has a sizable (and loud) following to back it up.

Quote: AvatariDragon

I'm just noticing a slight pattern. Honestly the big one in mind is how from the start some dS users started adopting SU avatars (similar to what happened with MLP here). And now it's reaching a point where it's often mentioned among reasons why modern cartoons are great, and tumblr is all over it, and I've heard of so much drama pertaining to it (again similar to the growing pains of bronies).

I could very well be wrong. But as far as what we currently have right now, SU is probably the best candidate.

EDIT:

They do exist out there (and I recall there actually being a story of one attempting suicide because of the ensuing harassment), so it's not like preteen boys can't or don't like the show.

That said however, go to a convention like I have and you'll tend to get the idea of who watches the show. Men our age. Women our age or older. Couples. Parents who got into the show as much as their children did. I recall someone at the con who looked in his 60s and had the same glowing expression of a child or teen when asking Nicole Oliver (Celestia) a question at the Q&A.

So for the most part you're right but MLP's appeal has somehow been almost universal. Though it is predominantly the young adult males who go crazy about the show and made it into what it is today.

tbh I feel that the main reason why MLP got so popular is because of the fact that it gained a following that wasn't expected. Although I could be wrong. :\

Quote: DarkCynder_543
Frozen.

KH is more popular than most people realise already (even Square Enix and Disney have admitted this), but yeah, KH3 will be huge. It's one of the most hyped games period right now, on any system, and a lot of people want a PS4 just for it. It's going to be everywhere when it comes out, and especially when we see the inevitable Frozen world.

well we've got big hero 6 so far, which has already given the game a lot of hype. so i guess you're right. xD
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:19:58 21/08/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7728
#33 Posted: 20:51:43 21/08/2015
****ing minions
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#34 Posted: 15:49:15 22/08/2015
Ah, I get what you mean.

Still, while Steven Universe isn't quite at MLP level yet, it's getting there. Unlike MLP, the female characters are of a broad range of body archetypes and actually resemble humans, and have a lot of sensual interactions in the show. MLP did partially catch on to a lot of young men because of some weird fetish stuff. I can see SU catching on for similar reasons (in fact it already has), since the female characters fit under a wide range of body types to begin with, while MLP had all of the ponies look more or less the same, and the fetishistic side of the fandom had to make up anthro bodytypes for them.

[img]

As well as that, like I mentioned, SU has a lot of similarities to and influences from Japanese anime, in both certain visual stylistic choices, and in the style of it's narrative. It's lore and the laws of it's universe can actually be fairly complex and convoluted at times, and young men tend to love that kind of thing. It also has a lot of DBZ-esque action sequences (not to mention borrowing the concept of "fusion" pretty much straight outta DBZ), and well, we know how popular that is.

Even just looking at promotional posters for SU and MLP, I'd easily say it more immediately appeals to the "16-30 year old men" age demographic than MLP does.

[img]

That is unless lolicon is suddenly the most popular thing ever among young men...

That's true, but the designs of the characters aren't the only factor, though it's probably the biggest singular one. Also, the similar, simplistic designs of the MLP characters could have also had a positive effect, since it did sorta "force" the fans to create their own designs for the characters.

The whole situation is also different now that it was back then. Out of those 16-30 year old men that do watch cartoons and would also like watching SU (because not all of them do obviously), a relatively big part is probably also watching MLP (and this was especially true two years ago when SU first came out). The window of opportunity for a new show to kick off and be big is a lot smaller now, and there's not as much demand for one as there was before MLP.

But anyway, we're not talking about the success of the show per se, it's more about the the success of the fandom. And the real strength of the MLP fandom is in the fact that it received huge amounts of visibility in the media.
That was partly because of the amount of creative content created by fans, and partly because nobody really saw it coming, as DarkCynder_543 suggested. For a long while it was one of those strange things that nobody understood, and now that nobody outside the fandom really cares anymore and has kinda numbed to it's presence, it's slowly losing that visibility.
I predict that in time it'll become like the Sonic fandom is right now. It's still going to be big, but just kinda "there" and no-one really talks about it.

So I'm not saying that Steven Universe isn't a good show, but it takes more than that to make a cultural impact.

Also, I know that I'm just taking in new arguments all the time, but as I think about it more and more my own views also shift a bit. I still hold to my original point though.

It might have, but up to now I don't think it has. Like I said to brawler, it takes more than a good show to make a cultural impact.

IMO the opposition also contributed to the visibility of the fandom (and thus, the show). Had people not cared the craze would've died out much quicker (and now that they don't really care anymore, it is dying out). It caught a lot of attention, both positive and negative, and thrived on that much like any news story or event would.

Well, the last part I can sorta agree with. With that, I think we can safely land to the conclusion that any kinds of success in general depends more on the right situation, than the right traits of any show/idea/business/etc. MLP (arguably) had both, but SU is kinda lacking in the situation department, as it doesn't seem to be taking off so well even after two years of it's premier date.

No, that's how you get an idea of who goes to the cons. Though it might be a reasonably good indicator, it also might not. There are too many variables to be sure.
Young men certainly are the loudest part of the fandom, and that's what made most of the difference. The makeup of a fandom might not even be the main factor here. A member of the target audience might not even be aware that a fandom exists.
#35 Posted: 16:05:41 22/08/2015
The Sonic fandom is still as big as ever and still in the public eye. It isn't even comparable to something like SU or MLP, as it always has something going on.

Just search up "Sonic Dreams Collection", which is the latest happening in the fandom. That made news articles all over the place, and popular YouTubers like Markiplier and Game Grumps covered.
---
#36 Posted: 16:12:07 22/08/2015
The Sonic fandom is still as big as ever and still in the public eye. It isn't even comparable to something like SU or MLP, as it always has something going on.

Just search up "Sonic Dreams Collection", which is the latest happening in the fandom. That made news articles all over the place, and popular YouTubers like Markiplier and Game Grumps covered.

I know that the Sonic fandom is alive and well, but I wouldn't say that it's very visible to anyone outside of it ATM.
#37 Posted: 16:26:17 22/08/2015
Yes it is, because it's covered by people outside of the fandom. Game Grumps have a Sonic Adventure DX play through ongoing, and they are not part of the fandom. They have done other Sonic games in the past.

There is also the fact that Sonic frequently crosses over into other fandoms. He's in two iterations of Smash Bros (and in the current iteration, he is considered a top tier in competitive play), he has a dedicated crossover franchise with Mario, he has a Nintendo produced figurine, Sonic Lost World has Nintendo themed DLC, he has a costume in Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World, he's in a Hatsune Miku game, he's in a Disney movie (where he is actually the first character to touch on one of the most important plot points of the movie). He has two crossover comics with Mega Man (and the upcoming one will feature other SEGA and Capcom characters). He has a TV show on Cartoon Network that is doing really well and is drawing in a new generation to the fandom, as is the accompanying toy line.

Those are just a few things I could mention, but Sonic is pretty constantly in the public eye.

Oh, and then there is the Sonic social media accounts. Can't forget about those, everyone loves them.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:27:22 22/08/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#38 Posted: 17:05:34 22/08/2015
Yes it is, because it's covered by people outside of the fandom. Game Grumps have a Sonic Adventure DX play through ongoing, and they are not part of the fandom. They have done other Sonic games in the past.

There is also the fact that Sonic frequently crosses over into other fandoms. He's in two iterations of Smash Bros (and in the current iteration, he is considered a top tier in competitive play), he has a dedicated crossover franchise with Mario, he has a Nintendo produced figurine, Sonic Lost World has Nintendo themed DLC, he has a costume in Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World, he's in a Hatsune Miku game, he's in a Disney movie (where he is actually the first character to touch on one of the most important plot points of the movie). He has two crossover comics with Mega Man (and the upcoming one will feature other SEGA and Capcom characters). He has a TV show on Cartoon Network that is doing really well and is drawing in a new generation to the fandom, as is the accompanying toy line.

Those are just a few things I could mention, but Sonic is pretty constantly in the public eye.

Oh, and then there is the Sonic social media accounts. Can't forget about those, everyone loves them.

I get it, it's a subjective experience. To someone who is a part of the fandom himself it's obviously different, and evaluating the general situation is hard because obviously you only visit the kinda sites that are aligned with your interests. I, for example, had no idea of any of those things, besides the part about Smash Bros, and even that is because of the few users on darkSpyro who talk about it.
I mean, honestly, you are pretty much the only big Sonic fan I know. I wouldn't even be aware of the fact that there are Sonic comics had I not paid some interest to the series myself a couple of years back.

To me, Sonic is a lot like Halo. Halo is very successful, has a very dedicated fandom and is marketed actively in social media, but no-one outside of the Halo fandom really seems to care or talk about it. Fandoms formed around video game-based franchises are often like this, because they only really appeal to a very specific audience. As a result they've very secular. The fandoms with the most publicity would be those of movies and TV shows.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me