Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Trigger warnings apparently doing more harm than good
Page 1 of 1
Trigger warnings apparently doing more harm than good [CLOSED]
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#1 Posted: 15:52:13 11/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Thoughts?
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#2 Posted: 16:23:28 11/08/2015
Political Correctness is stupid.

If I were a professor, I would put a trigger warning on literally everything. "One of my students might have had a trauma where their abuser used the word "paper", so I can't give out essays!" "Someone could have been abused inside, so I have to put trigger warnings on every surface of every room!"
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:25:43 11/08/2015 by spyrolvr96
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#3 Posted: 16:40:43 11/08/2015
this.... is not surpising news
"According to the most-basic tenets of psychology, helping people with anxiety disorders avoid the things they fear is misguided."
preach this
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#4 Posted: 18:19:55 11/08/2015
Quote: arceustheprime
"According to the most-basic tenets of psychology, helping people with anxiety disorders avoid the things they fear is misguided."
preach this

Seriously this. For example, if you're shy the last thing you want to do is to avoid all contact to other people, if you want to work on learning out of that habit.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#5 Posted: 19:01:43 11/08/2015
I understand that trigger warnings are necessary for some things with questionable content (i.e. that "viewer discretion is advised" thing is basically a TV show trigger warning, and that works pretty well because you know what you're getting into) but sometimes it just goes too far. Things that bring up sensitive topics like rape and such that people have been traumatized by should be warned about, but like spyrolvr96 said, warning things like "paper" or "indoors" is ridiculous. There are people on Tumblr and such that have ACTUALLY asked me to tag my "outdoors" because somehow being outside of their room is terrifying. I understand that going out and doing things if you have anxiety or depression can be a difficult task, but going outside and interacting is something everyone has to to on a daily basis to survive, you can't just avoid that. The feelings of going outside your house are far from being as traumatizing as how a rape victim feels when rape is brought up.

/endrant
#6 Posted: 20:23:37 11/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Good points, good points. I agree.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#7 Posted: 23:25:35 11/08/2015
preach this

So much yes... Honestly it seems the world is going downhill as parents raise children attempting to hide all the negativity in the world and now we're starting to see the after-effects where these children have started grow and are afraid to leave their little safety net and find everything offensive that isn't sunshine and rainbows or could even be construed otherwise.

The world is a dark and scary place. Hiding away from it and pretending the bad doesn't exist will not make it go away. Instead accept it for what it is and use the knowledge of the horrors of the world to be a better person. Then maybe, just maybe the dark things will start to go away as we grow as a human race and try to be decent people. You can't survive if you simply try to hide in a corner and pretend it isn't there.

If we end up reaching a world where everyone is more concerned with protecting each other's feelings instead of the issues that really matter in the world, then we have reached a world I simply do not want to live in anymore.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:30:34 11/08/2015 by Seiki
huge dotd freak Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#8 Posted: 01:08:19 12/08/2015
I hate my generation
---
Do you not like my mouth words?
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#9 Posted: 02:17:27 12/08/2015
Quote: Seiki
preach this

So much yes... Honestly it seems the world is going downhill as parents raise children attempting to hide all the negativity in the world and now we're starting to see the after-effects where these children have started grow and are afraid to leave their little safety net and find everything offensive that isn't sunshine and rainbows or could even be construed otherwise.

The world is a dark and scary place. Hiding away from it and pretending the bad doesn't exist will not make it go away. Instead accept it for what it is and use the knowledge of the horrors of the world to be a better person. Then maybe, just maybe the dark things will start to go away as we grow as a human race and try to be decent people. You can't survive if you simply try to hide in a corner and pretend it isn't there.

If we end up reaching a world where everyone is more concerned with protecting each other's feelings instead of the issues that really matter in the world, then we have reached a world I simply do not want to live in anymore.

They want the whole world to be a giant hugbox and I hate it political correctness needs to stop its destroying freedom of speech and many other things too.
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
EyeBrawler2014 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3429
#10 Posted: 12:59:43 12/08/2015
Yeah, the only way to truly make progress is to look the negative parts in the face, I hate how society thinks that nobody is allowed to be offened, its like how a college has banned words like "Homeless" and "American" and wants students to use dehumanizing words like "Person from the United States" and instead of foreigner, use "Person from a different country" its stupid
---
Find me on Discord, I'm eyebrawler98#6720
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#11 Posted: 13:02:31 12/08/2015
Quote: Pixilism
the word trigger triggers me **** u op </3

the word **** triggers me damn u pixil </3
---
You can't handle MEMES
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#12 Posted: 13:24:58 12/08/2015
It depends, I think people should work on certain triggers, so that they can progress in life but certain triggers do cause very terrible memories to come back from traumatizing moments so only the serious ones should be tagged really to me.
#13 Posted: 13:41:29 12/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: EyeBrawler2014
Yeah, the only way to truly make progress is to look the negative parts in the face, I hate how society thinks that nobody is allowed to be offened, its like how a college has banned words like "Homeless" and "American" and wants students to use dehumanizing words like "Person from the United States" and instead of foreigner, use "Person from a different country" its stupid

Hey man, did you get us tickets for the Person From A Different Country tour?
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8081
#14 Posted: 14:16:01 12/08/2015
I heard the governor of California banned the word "alien" in regards to a person coming in from another country.

I was going to post a long in-depth paragraph responding to the article, but I'm still working on it.
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 8947
#15 Posted: 15:47:26 12/08/2015
I was facepalming too hard to even finish reading the article. It's just mind numbing to me how easily offended people are nowadays. Now, I wouldn't consider myself someone that would go out of his way to piss people off, and I can totally understand and respect wanting to avoid touchier subjects like rape, but at some point you just have to realize that no matter what you do, you're inevitably going to offend at least somebody. Everyone's set off by different things. There's no one-size-fits-all way to avoid offending people.

And like EyeBrawler touched upon earlier, whenever people are offended by non-offensive terms that accurately describe them, it just makes me lose that much more faith in humanity. I can understand a black guy being called the n-word being offended, but not, say, an Asian guy getting offended by being called Asian. Okay, that's not an intentionally offensive remark or a racial slur, that's just an observation. The problem is, since we can't read minds, we don't know what is going set someone off until it's too late. And again, as EyeBrawler said, just sheltering them like that isn't going to solve anything, if anything, it's only going to make it worse when they go out into the real world and find that stuff around every street corner.

And I apologize to anyone I may have unintentionally offended. This is an issue that really annoys me, and I'm just putting my two-cents worth in.
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#16 Posted: 00:36:19 13/08/2015
trigger warnings are more of a temporary solution than a permanent one.

remember that not everyone is immediately able to recover from emotional trauma, so avoiding the subject until they can cope a little can help, but it shouldn't be made into a crutch.
---
tubular
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me