Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Satoru Iwata, President and CEO of Nintendo Japan, CEO Of NOA, has Passed Away
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Satoru Iwata, President and CEO of Nintendo Japan, CEO Of NOA, has Passed Away [CLOSED]
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8554
#1 Posted: 00:00:23 13/07/2015 | Topic Creator
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

Wow.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#2 Posted: 00:02:01 13/07/2015
No...No...NO!!!
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#3 Posted: 00:03:38 13/07/2015
Man, this was really unexpected. His games basically raised me, he'll really be missed...
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#4 Posted: 00:08:42 13/07/2015
This is really sad. He will be missed dearly.

Though this does make me think of the future of Nintendo.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#5 Posted: 00:09:57 13/07/2015
I understand he was having health issues for the past year, but this feels completely out of left field. I thought he was getting better.

RIP Iwata. We're gonna miss you.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#6 Posted: 00:17:29 13/07/2015
This literally came out of nowhere. I was eating and randomly yelled when I saw this.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#7 Posted: 00:17:44 13/07/2015
Wow, I had no idea..

Rest in Peace, buddy. I'm gonna miss ya.

I'm tearing up right now.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:19:06 13/07/2015 by Matteomax
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#8 Posted: 00:22:02 13/07/2015
I am crying right now.
His games brought me joy.
Rest in piece King of Gaming.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#9 Posted: 00:25:46 13/07/2015
I knew he wasn't feeling well, but I thought he was getting better... I never realized it was this bad...

Rest in peace, Iwata. You will be missed.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#10 Posted: 00:27:08 13/07/2015
I heard the news...it's sad losing him.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:27:53 13/07/2015 by KeybasHedKey
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#11 Posted: 00:31:42 13/07/2015
[User Posted Image]

Goodbye Iwatasan.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#12 Posted: 00:37:12 13/07/2015
R.I.P. in power-up mushrooms.

I am also tearing up right now. I love Nintendo, his games were brilliant and he always knew how to make people laugh in some of his games and make the games enjoyable, he wil be missed.
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:48 13/07/2015 by PwnageFTW
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#13 Posted: 00:55:16 13/07/2015
Terrible tragedy to die so young. He had so much more to offer.

R.I.P. Iwata-san.

/bow
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#14 Posted: 01:00:15 13/07/2015
Quote: Tigorus
Terrible tragedy to die so young. He had so much more to offer.

R.I.P. Iwata-san.

/bow

55 isn't really young, but still. Sad to see him so.
---
words. letters. filler.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#15 Posted: 01:13:10 13/07/2015
It truly is sad to see a man so dedicated in bringing smiles to the world to go

Iwata you will never be forgotten, you will live on in our hearts and through the games.

Now we hope you have a safe trip to heaven, directly
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#16 Posted: 01:32:50 13/07/2015
RIP man this was so out of nowhere! just WOW I cant believe it his games brought smiles to everyone around the world he will be truly missed.
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#17 Posted: 01:38:58 13/07/2015
Quote: StriderSwag
Man, this was really unexpected. His games basically raised me, he'll really be missed...

Quote: somePerson
This literally came out of nowhere. I was eating and randomly yelled when I saw this.

Quote: Matteomax
Wow, I had no idea..

Rest in Peace, buddy. I'm gonna miss ya.

I'm tearing up right now.

Sorry for so much quotes, but these. smilie
---
My life is complete.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#18 Posted: 02:03:48 13/07/2015
I will just post a slightly edited version of what I said on the Smashboards article on the subject:

Quote:
No words can express how I feel right now. I'm literally trying to hold back tears here. Have been since I heard the news an hour ago. I haven't been this upset over something in good while.

He truly was a great man. Honourable, steadfast, honest, determined, dedicated, caring, loyal...I don't think any amount of positive adjectives could do him justice. If I had to say one thing, he makes me think of a modern samurai, in terms of what he represents to me.

Some may feel that this is not too big a deal and that I am being melodramatic, and to those I say - this man wasn't just the black suited president of any old company. He was the president of Nintendo. A company that has shaped many of our lives, and he had a...direct hand in the creation of some of these franchises. Not only that, but the way he spoke to us in Nintendo Directs, how willing he was to put himself up to the goofiest skits, taking time out of his main work all for our amusement...he was really like a lovable uncle to us all. This was a man who, I feel, didn't put anything first. It's safe to say that, I would not be who I am today if it were not for Iwata, and he has always been one of the factors that drew me to Nintendo over other game companies as of late. Iwata, along with the rest of Nintendo, know how to make you feel like part of a family.

It says a lot when, since CAV and I heard this news while playing some online Smash Wii U, the first thing we thought to do was have a 1v1 match of Kirby (CAV) VS Ness (myself) on Omega Onett - two characters he had some direct involvement in the creation of, and of their games.

And of course, let us not forget that Smash itself may not have ever existed and been green-lit if not for the assistance and support Iwata extended to Sakurai. The memory of that fact convinced me to suddenly have one last match against my friend for the night - I wanted to play as Iwata himself on Omega Palutena's Temple. I actually uploaded the replay onto the replay servers for anyone who wants to watch it. It may not be a spectacular match to watch, but for me, it was incredibly emotional, as I almost broke down crying, and was finding it difficult to play, but I still desperately wanted to win that match for Iwata. I named the replay "R.I.P Iwata-sama" for those who want to see it. Try wittling down the search to "Ireland" for the country.

Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata - and SMASH your way into the Heavens!!!

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#19 Posted: 02:43:44 13/07/2015
It's also worth noting, if anyone cares, that Iwata was also the creative mind behind amiibo. A quote from a TIME article:

Quote:
In late 2013, Satoru Iwata sat alone on a bullet train headed toward Tokyo. As the carriage sped silently down the track, Iwata, the puckish CEO of Nintendo, began sketching out a new idea: a line of physical toys with built-in chips that connected wirelessly to the company’s varied game systems. The toys would let Nintendo trade on its universe of characters like Mario and Donkey Kong while generating new sales.

Not to mention that Iwata taking Mario out of his pocket against Reggie at E3 2014 was the first time we ever saw an amiibo. Iwata literally created and introduced us to amiibo, a product that helped Nintendo turn a profit for a fiscal year for the first time in years.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:50:43 13/07/2015 by CAV
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#20 Posted: 02:49:06 13/07/2015
[User Posted Image]
smilie Mr. Iwata you may be dead but your spirit will live on through the games you helped develop and greenlit, may your mii win a million races and smash battles.
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:53:12 13/07/2015 by Windumup
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#21 Posted: 03:29:35 13/07/2015
This is terrible news, I'm extremely sad. He really cared for his work and the company, cutting his salary in half when the Wii U was doing extremely bad so that no one would be laid off. He was an amazing programmer, finishing 2 years worth of Earthbound's coding in 6 months, essentially making the Smash Bros Melee tourney scene by programming most of the game to make sure it would hit its release date, and compressing Pokemon Gold and Silver enough to fit the entirety of Kanto in, which was impossible with just Game Freak back then. Nintendo has always been a kind of embodiment of fun, and he only added to that with his role in the Directs and Digital Events. Not to mention the recent developments for Nintendo which led to a mobile game partnership with DeNA, Nintendo attractions at Universal Studios parks, and more. He's been a part of Nintendo for so long, it's really unexpected to see him gone.

R.I.P. Iwata. The man was a legend. Leave luck to heaven, and please understand.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6241
#22 Posted: 07:56:32 13/07/2015
I never cry but this news has caused me to shed a tear.
We will never forget him, he was a truly remarkable man who changed Nintendo for the better RIP.
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3263
#23 Posted: 08:43:09 13/07/2015
What a great and inspiration man he was, I just can't believe what has actually happened, it feels so unreal to me.
The gaming world has lost a truly amazing person today, rest in peace, Mr. Iwata, thank you for always making me smile. ;__;
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#24 Posted: 11:42:27 13/07/2015
Rest In Peace, Iwata. Thanks for all those inspirational and creative games. You'll be missed.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#25 Posted: 12:48:52 13/07/2015
Rest In Peace, Iwata-san.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#26 Posted: 13:04:37 13/07/2015
Courtesy of Brawl in the Family.

[User Posted Image]
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#27 Posted: 13:33:33 13/07/2015
Rest in Peace, Iwata. You will always have a place in everyone's heart. We will never forget you.
---
Bring the Fanta
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#28 Posted: 13:36:24 13/07/2015
I'm not usually one to go to in-depth whenever someone famous in entertainment passes away, but I really feel I should this time because of how much Nintendo has impacted me in my life(I'm not really good with this kind of stuff, so bear with me).

What Satoru Iwata did for the gaming industry is just mind-blowing. What he has done for gaming as a whole, let alone for Nintendo, truly is astonishing. He has helped make some of the biggest and best franchises in gaming. He went to amazing lengths just to give us a great video game experience. It's crazy just thinking about what entertainment would be like without games he had direct involvement in, such as Mario, Zelda, and Kirby.

He has helped create some of the best experiences I've had with video games, and I really was choking up when I heard the unexpected news that he passed away. I mean, this is the man who cut his salary in half just so Nintendo could have enough finances. He really was a compassionate and extraordinary man, and my heart and prayers go out to his family, friends, and the many fans that looked up to him as much as I did.

R.I.P., Satoru Iwata. You truly will be missed, and your legacy will be long-remembered.
---
Cool cool.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#29 Posted: 14:36:31 13/07/2015
Quote: LunarDistortion
Courtesy of Brawl in the Family.

[User Posted Image]

Now I die.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#30 Posted: 15:01:14 13/07/2015
A rainbow appeared over Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters earlier today/yesterday.

I cried after seeing the picture.

Godspeed, Iwata. Try to get the top lap time on Rainbow Road.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
TTD Hunter Gems: 6241
#31 Posted: 16:23:32 13/07/2015
He may be dead but he lives on in our heats and in the spirit of gaming.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#32 Posted: 18:20:03 13/07/2015
I feel really sad for him to die, but we must look to the future now. RIP Iwata...

Anyway, with him gone, who will become the new CEO? I mean, Nintendo has to have a new one sometime.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#33 Posted: 18:36:08 13/07/2015
I will miss Iwata, he was an amazing person.

Quote: Iwata's Speech
On my business card I am a CEO,
In my mind I am a game developer,
But in my heart, I am a gamer.
---
Spread those positive vibes
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#34 Posted: 18:54:18 13/07/2015
whoa.

this was really unexpected. in the nintendo direct, he looked perfectly fine.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5366
#35 Posted: 20:00:43 13/07/2015
R.I.P. Mr. Iwata. You did a lot to make Nintendo fun for us gamers.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#36 Posted: 20:26:16 13/07/2015
Quote: LTU Spyro
I couldn't care less.

Don't.
---
My life is complete.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#37 Posted: 20:27:15 13/07/2015
I couldn't care less.

I can respect your opinion, but why did you feel the need to post that in this thread? It's extremely rude and unneeded.
#38 Posted: 20:28:29 13/07/2015
I couldn't care less.

There was absolutely no need to come in and say that. If it doesn't effect you and you don't care, then don't say anything at all. Be respectful.

This goes for anyone else who may view this thread or hear this news and feel the same.

--------

Nintendo World Store is holding a memorial service where people can leave their condolences in a book. CAV should be able to head down, and he is willing to write something on behalf of the dS community. Post your suggestions for what he should write.
---
#39 Posted: 20:30:10 13/07/2015
I couldn't care less.

that was disrespectful. if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all.
---
Cool cool.
#40 Posted: 20:31:57 13/07/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I couldn't care less.

There was absolutely no need to come in and say that. If it doesn't effect you and you don't care, then don't say anything at all. Be respectful.

This goes for anyone else who may view this thread or hear this news and feel the same.

--------

Nintendo World Store is holding a memorial service where people can leave their condolences in a book. CAV should be able to head down, and he is willing to write something on behalf of the dS community. Post your suggestions for what he should write.

I don't want to say a cliché like "our condolences" or "he will be missed". But I'm not the guy to write deep stuff. All I can say is that he was a big part of my life, and when he passed, I felt like a big chunk of who I am and who I've become because of him, has been ripped off.

But again, I'm not good at this. smilie
---
My life is complete.
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#41 Posted: 20:37:55 13/07/2015
I don't think I've ever been this distraught over the death of a famous person/celebrity. Nearly everything he did had and continues to have such a huge impact on my life. He was truly one of the greatest CEOs/Presidents (if not the greatest) in the history of the gaming industry.

Quote: sonicbrawler182

Thank you so much for all the joy you brought |Directly| into our lives.
#42 Posted: 20:55:45 13/07/2015
Quote:

This might be jumping the bandwagon a bit, as I've seen other people say this, but I think it would be nice if we said something along the lines of "Thank you Mr. Iwata, We Understand Now," as sort of a direct reference to Iwata's common statement "please understand." Because, in a way, we now understand that Iwata was running one of the biggest companies in the entertainment industry while trying to get in better health for who knows how long(we know this was going on last year at the latest, as he skipped E3 2014 to get better in his health).

And for some of us fans, myself included, who unfortunately needed an event of this caliber to understand that, despite some of the mistakes Iwata made in the past(such as the Wii U's poor marketing or the amiibo shortages. I know this isn't entirely his fault, but he does have the final say in how things are handled, unless that's not how presidency/CEO position in a game company works), and the mistakes that Nintendo has made, Iwata has always done the most important thing you have to do in making a video game: make it fun. I hate to say myself that it took an event like this for me to realize just how much of an inspiration Iwata was. He was such an inspiration to me, and he has impacted my life in so many ways through his work, and I didn't even realize he was an inspiration of mine until his passing. And based on how fans are reacting to this news compared to, for example, their E3 showing a couple weeks ago, I think a lot more fans are realizing this and thinking this as well. Because we understand now.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:58:36 13/07/2015 by pankakesparx456
#43 Posted: 21:13:40 13/07/2015
Let's not forget how hard he tried to speak English, for our benefit.
---
My life is complete.
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#44 Posted: 22:28:50 13/07/2015
I've gathered a collection of the most touching Facebook posts relating to this. It's sad that he had to die, but I guess dying is part of life.

https://www.facebook.com/Champ...5912345/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/TGNTV...7729717/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/posts/883928771642412

https://www.facebook.com/OphCo...012564685422684

https://www.facebook.com/boogi...5765695/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/Champ...5936700/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/cnnin...153403848434641

https://www.facebook.com/Champ...9268343/?type=1

You know, I want to know who made death a rule that we all have to follow at some point.

Quote: Wreckingball13
This is really sad. He will be missed dearly.

Though this does make me think of the future of Nintendo.

Apple's doing fine without Steve Jobs. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo will do just as well without Satoru Iwata. I want both of them back, and I even want my hometown high school janitor to be alive today (he just died, too), but life just goes on.
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
#45 Posted: 02:19:16 14/07/2015
Quote: FireMeowth
Thank you so much for all the joy you brought |Directly| into our lives.

Quote: pankakesparx456
This might be jumping the bandwagon a bit, as I've seen other people say this, but I think it would be nice if we said something along the lines of "Thank you Mr. Iwata, We Understand Now," as sort of a direct reference to Iwata's common statement "please understand."

I'll combine these two together, and try to come up with something of my own to add.

I'll try to stop by tomorrow morning before work.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#46 Posted: 03:46:12 14/07/2015
RIP Iwata, you were an amazing man. ;_________;
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
KnightArtorias Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#47 Posted: 05:30:37 14/07/2015
Probably gonna catch hell for this...but who was the guy? I really had no idea who he was until I saw the "CEO of Nintendo". I mean, what did he do?
---
"Caim? Caim...the one who calls to me...I cannot see. Where are you?"
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
#48 Posted: 12:26:28 14/07/2015
Quote: KnightArtorias
Probably gonna catch hell for this...but who was the guy? I really had no idea who he was until I saw the "CEO of Nintendo". I mean, what did he do?

Well, before Nintendo he originally worked with HAL Laboratory, the company most notable for developing the Kirby, Mother, and Smash Bros series. Iwata helped out a lot with devloping, programming, and designing a number of their games, from Kirby to Earthbound to Balloon Fight. When HAL was also about to go bankrupt, Iwata took over as president of HAL and the company got its footing back, developing the first Smash Bros game.

Nintendo then hired Iwata to lead its Corporate Planning Division, and was promoted to President of Nintendo in 2002 after Hiroshi Yamauchi. He helped bring Gamecube sales up, even bringing the company to an insane 41% profit during Nintendo's 2001 fiscal year.

Arguably his biggest accomplishment was that Iwata pushed and led the development of the Nintendo DS and Wii, two of the biggest and best-selling game consoles to date, only outsold by the Playstation 2. He also created the online series "Iwata Asks," Which was one of Nintendo's bigger developer-diaries type shows.

He even cut his salary in half when Nintendo was going through financial troubles in 2013, what with the Wii U doing really poorly at the time. Iwata also crated the partnership between Nintendo and DeNA in order to bring Nintendo closer to a mobile market.

Alongside all the other feats mentioned in this topic, such as amiibos, and helping with the development of a huge number of Nintendo games throughout his career.
---
Cool cool.
#49 Posted: 13:08:29 14/07/2015
And don't forget that the man was literally a programming badass:

-Compressed the code of Pokémon Gold/Silver enough to fit all of Kanto into the game all on his own, when all of Game Freak couldn't do it.

-When Earthbound was struggling through it's development and was a buggy mess, he rewrote the entirety of the game's code (2 years worth of work) in 6 months.

-Stepped in to frantically work on the code of Super Smash Bros. Melee to bugfix it for three weeks straight just so the game could meet it's deadline.

-While Sakurai is the primary creator of Smash Bros, the series would never have happened without Iwata. Iwata did all of the programming on the prototype for Smash 64 (Dragon King: The Fighting Game). He pretty much laid the foundation for the final game, and while it was Sakurai who came up with the idea to use Nintendo characters, the idea likely would never have been greenlit if not for Iwata's prototype.
---
#50 Posted: 01:29:22 15/07/2015
My handwriting sucks but I did what I could.

I felt bad for the crap Smash logo on the Smashboards comment that I tried to draw bananas on the dS one.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me