Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Bad games made by the egotistical or misunderstood.
Page 1 of 1
Bad games made by the egotistical or misunderstood. [CLOSED]
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 22:33:03 11/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Often when a great games comes, people love it. When a string of great (or at least interesting) games come, people become with the ones making them. Shigeru Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Sid Meier, Hideo Kojima, etc. We love their games, we speak highly of them and their creators and we always look forward to their next big thing.

But what about those "other" developers? Shepards of many black flock. The people who thought "Yeah, this is worth making." The worst of the worst. These make bad games, wrote bad stories, maybe they have bad personalities or bad traits. I'm not just talking plain bad, it doesn't have to be the worst but they can be major letdowns or bile fascinations.

John Romero, Peter Molyneux, Denis Dyack, Motomu Toriyama, Randy Pitchford, David Cage and many more. These people are notorious among gamers for promising big things only to let everyone down but how often do we talk about them? And I don't just reflecting how bad their games are but rather trying to understand the mind of these mad men.

Do you just plain hate them? Do you feel sorry for them? Do you find them interesting in some way? Do you believe they're just victims between pressure between us gamers and their corporate masters? Do you look forward to their next projects as amusing train-wrecks or what? I want to know how you feel about a certain developer or two or more regarding not only their games but their philosophies. John Romero's ego, Peter Molyneux's lie-cycle, David Cage's obsession with graphics, polygons, mimicking movies, etc.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#2 Posted: 23:30:25 11/07/2015
I would actually put Miyamoto here, at least going by his activities in the last 10 years:

-Tried to sabotage what is now my favourite Nintendo character (Rosalina) on the grounds that "we already have Peach as a main female Mario character", as if Peach is portrayed well in ANY of the Mario games Miyamoto is given direct control over. Honestly makes me suspicious that he is sexist to some degree. After she is accepted by him, he STILL mentions in interviews that she "should be more like a normal girl", with a reduced size and no special powers or characteristics. No, **** off, the very reason Rosalina is appealing is because she isn't just some regular girly princess (isn't a princess to begin with even) who gets kidnapped all of the time, she is a really cool, mysterious character with an incredibly impactful backstory, basically god of the Mario universe which is just a really cool concept IMO, and one of the things I look forward to most about her in each new game she shows up in is how they expand on her powers, the LAST thing any fan of the character wants is for everything about her to be retconned and turned into Peach 3.0 (Daisy being Peach 2.0 at this point).

-Stubbornly against story telling and sorting out canon in his games, often resorting to lazy "IT'S A RE-IMAGINING" or "THINK OF IT HOW YOU WANT" excuses, basically saying story in games has no relevance... EXCEPT when it comes to Pikmin, because that's his baby franchise that he will literally spend 7 years making a new game for with really fleshed out lore. Like seriously, half of the time a simple extra line of dialogue is all he needed to do to fix certain plot holes in games or for the new Star Fox he could have just said something like "it takes place after the bad ending of Star Fox 64" since that would make perfect sense and Star Fox fans like the idea of it having a Zelda-esque timeline since the games have multiple endings half of the time anyway. But no, he tries to leave things ambiguous or tries to retcon stuff all of the time and it just is annoying as then the events of some game lose their impact.

-Completely butchered Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Seriously, it's an awful game and partly because of his bias against story telling or even just characters having personality in anything that isn't Pikmin.

-Took him years to accept Platinum Games' offer to make a new Star Fox.

-Won't make a new F-Zero because he "needs the right controller" and "doesn't have any idea what to do with the series". That's stupid on it's own, but SEGA have said they are open to making a new F-Zero, but Miyamoto won't let them or anyone else do because he didn't like F-Zero GX and AX, which were both made by SEGA, and happen to be the best received games in the entire franchise, both by critics and by fans. Hell, the F-Zero fanbase would be happy with a HD release of GX/AX on Wii U with an added online mode, but they can't even get that.

-EXTREMELY stubbornly against online play. He outright admitted that it "would have been really easy" to implement online play into Super Mario 3D World, but didn't do it simply because he didn't feel like it, and the worst part was HE WAS AN ADVISER ON THAT GAME, so he basically told the dev team not to even though they wanted to and were more than capable of doing it. Now Star Fox: Zero is revealed, and right off the bat he's saying that he's not even gonna try add online right now, even though EVERYONE WANTS IT TO HAVE ONLINE, and that was something I was outright prepared for. What I WASN'T prepared for, was that the reason he isn't caring about online in Star Fox is because he wants to refine the graphics - now the game doesn't look terrible and stylistically I love it, but TECHNICALLY, the graphics are not impressive at all.

-Overly concerned with accessibility, and wants it in literally every franchise. Another excuse he uses to not make a new F-Zero, too - except you know, casuals already have Mario Kart for their accessible Nintendo racer, and it EVEN has F-Zero levels and the anti-grav mechanic now.

I could go on, but for every good decision or stated opinion Miyamoto has had in the last 10 years, he's made like 5 bad ones. I seriously think he is given way too much control at Nintendo just because he helped start the company and gaming in general up. I respect that, but the guy abuses his pedigree at this point. And people who don't know about his bad decisions mindlessly defend him.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:50:57 11/07/2015 by sonicbrawler182
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#3 Posted: 00:08:59 12/07/2015
@SB: Let me guess: He was the reason Mario Party 10 doesn't have online? Really annoying that these MP-centric games keep getting sequels upon sequels, but never getting online mode.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me