Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Toys to life debate: Superchargers, Dimensions, Infinity 3.0 & amiibo
Page 1 of 1
Toys to life debate: Superchargers, Dimensions, Infinity 3.0 & amiibo [CLOSED]
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#1 Posted: 03:14:55 11/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Title. Be nice and Civil guys.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:56:19 11/07/2015 by TTD
undeadmaster Gold Sparx Gems: 2126
#2 Posted: 03:28:21 11/07/2015
SKYLANDERS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!
---
I probably won't be back for like a year.
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#3 Posted: 03:37:08 11/07/2015
Skylanders is not battling Amiibo... They teamed up, "Skyamiibo" for the win
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5366
#4 Posted: 04:30:08 11/07/2015
Idaknow if I'd even count amiibo on its own. Skymiibos, and I guess Code Name S.T.E.A.M., are the only time any of them actually utilize the "to life" aspect of toy-to-life. For the most part Nintendo seems content to just less them do random gimmicky things.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:31:27 11/07/2015 by Muffin Man
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 11:04:39 11/07/2015
I don't think Amiibos can even be considered as proper Toys to Life as of now and I sincerely think their decision to team up with Skylanders was a cheap choice to sell a bit more but only ended up showing their weakness.
If somebody could explain me what do they actually do that would be great, really.

Infinity figures are as great as Skylanders (even the toy quality it's the same from what I've seen, they simply decided to stick with a more toy look) and the game itself seems awesome.
But it's too different from Skylanders to fully be compared and I still personally prefer the latter.

LEGO Dimensions looks SOOOO cool and promising, exactly what I have always wanted from a LEGO game and could easily be the true first rival of Skylanders... But unfortunately it will apparently never be released in my country so I will probably never be able to tell.
Toooo bad. smilie

So for me it's easy: Skylanders wins.
Hope I didn't sound like a fanboy since I tried exposing my motivations.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#6 Posted: 11:10:16 11/07/2015
Are you guys ready to hear people act like they have an economy major and spent decades of their lives studying the game market, just to judge either series inferior based on their assumptions?
...'Cuz I'm not. LEGO is too expensive, I never had any interest in Disney Infinity, and too broke to want to be convinced otherwise.Amiibo is way too game-specific so it's apples and oranges.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:36:54 11/07/2015 by Bifrost
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#7 Posted: 11:19:24 11/07/2015
As a huge Nintendo, LEGO, Disney and Skylanders fan, this is a pretty hard choice for me.
...Well, I'd throw Disney Infinity away immediately cause I despise the art style and gameplay, but it's still a difficult choice between the remaining three.

Luckily I don't actually have to choose, cause I'm gonna have complete amiibo, LEGO Dimensions and Skylanders: SuperChargers collections. :P

Quote: Drek95

If somebody could explain me what do they actually do that would be great, really.

I'll just quote one of my previous posts:

Quote: FireMeowth
The main appeal of amiibo is that
1) most of them are supported across a vast number of games: see https://i.imgur.com/ZNchYY5.jpg
2) they give us awesome crossover content that would otherwise never have happened (again, see the above link)
3) they're high-quality (for the cost) figurines of fan-favourite characters

They are bringing toys to life in some games, like Smash Bros., Codename S.T.E.A.M. and the upcoming Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, but for most games they just unlock awesome extras.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#8 Posted: 11:34:29 11/07/2015
Like said before, Amiibos can't even been considered.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#9 Posted: 11:40:07 11/07/2015
Amiibo wins in the collectors market, at least for now. It appears that it has the biggest following of people who just want the figure regardless of any TtL features. I don't know that the line has much of a future since nintendo isn't coming with a high volume of new features, and people are going to get tired of buying multiple versions of the same thing. As well, it is limited to Nintendo console customers...which is currently in 3rd place. Perhaps NX can save this. Personally, I don't think amiibos would have ever happened without skylanders, and there really is no goal for them. The market was there to make money, so Nintendo took it. I don't collect these right now.

I don't know what to think of DI anymore. I do like the figures, but the gameplay associated with those figures is really poor, IMO. For example, I don't think one light saber wielding figure is going to be much different then any of the others. Honestly, I don't think they'd even really play differently then a Jack Sparrow. The combat just isn't that good in general either. The upgrades/leveling are confusing with multi-users are involved. The building features are fun, but lend to poor graphics. For me, I doubt I'll be getting DI day one. I'll wait for sales if at all, and will need my kids to show interest for me to really get into it.

Skylanders is the leader IMO. They are the first. They innovate more then the others so far, although legos seems to be innovating a lot too. The figures actually do interesting things different then other figures you may buy. They are the first to use articulating toys. They do have a habit of find ways to milk the customer and have started a trend where some products just are down right useless in the next version. And other things. Still the leader to me.

DI...I want to hold judgement on this one. Tt makes fun games so I have no doubt this will be fun. I just think this games has some limitations. For one, I don't think the gameplay in dimensions will be that different then other lego games. Which begs the question then, why I am I pay 100s for Dimensions instead of just buying a regular lego game? It does help that there are actual lego building involve. I also don't think the specific character play is going to be that different between figures. Lego combat just has never been that involved. Lego characters usually involves a lot of required switching, which could get really annoying. I don't think the figures themselves will be as big of collector items. I already have tons of lego batmans...I don't have a burning desire to get 1 more. As well, like amiibo and DI, this franchise is built on existing franchises...there really isn't any new characters. Eventually, they will run out of compelling characters to sell since they can't create them without a movie or strong lego line behind it. I like the fact that there won't be additional starter packs every year, which will help swallow the costs, but it has a downside of not really having an end to the story (it seems). I'm not sure how well they'll be able to innovate going forward. And they won't be able to generate hype that well. And one last thing...legos usually don't go on sale. lego games will. If there are no sales on lego dimensions, that's going to be a big problem for me.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#10 Posted: 12:31:35 11/07/2015
Quote:
For example, I don't think one light saber wielding figure is going to be much different then any of the others.

DI 2.0 introduced skill trees so lots of custom build options but for what purpose as i agree the gameplay is poor . I feel more like an explorer then a hero .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
midnightmagic34 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3743
#11 Posted: 12:54:11 11/07/2015
DI...Disney Infinity...Always...
---
I'd rather stand tall, then live on my knees, cause I am a conqueror, and I won't accept defeat! Try telling me no, one thing about me, is I am a conqueror
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#12 Posted: 12:56:41 11/07/2015
Quote: midnightmagic34
DI...Disney Infinity...Always...

off with your head.
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#13 Posted: 13:01:31 11/07/2015
Disney may have fixed the gameplay by outsourcing the playsets to different devs. But it maybe too little too late.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#14 Posted: 13:19:58 11/07/2015
Never got into Amiibos. Despite being a huge Nintendo lover (and how I want a Kirby amiibo so bad) I don't feel that they do enough to justify their price. Also, I don't think I could stand the difficulty to find some of the rarest characters.

I started DI with 2.0, but I honestly don't play it much for a few reasons. I may get on board for DI 3.0 though. To be honest, I have no real interest in Star Wars, but I'm quite interested in the Inside Out and Avengers playsets, which is why I may get the digital version. They also fixed one of my major problems with the game; the blind bag power discs. Now I can actually try power discs now without worrying about getting one I didn't want or a powerup for a character I didn't have.

Skylanders, yes I'm probably getting this year, despite the greedy schemes Activision has planned, but I may cut back and not get as involved in purchases as the last few games. I really don't need 20 toy vehicles lying around my house. I also hate the idea of the trophies (let me use the traps I PAID for for Eon's sake) but more than likely I'll probably end up buying them too, even though it's ridiculous I have to pay AGAIN just to play as a villain.

Lego Dimensions seems very interesting too. I am into Legos, but the only thing is I feel that the price points here are too high for what you get. I'll have to look more into it and see if maybe there'll be sales for these things.
---
Purple dragon.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#15 Posted: 13:34:56 11/07/2015
Skylanders is the most original toy-and-video game franchise. Disney Infinity is a ripoff that any Disney lover will enjoy, but I'm an anti-Disney person myself. Amiibo is nothing like Skylanders; you have to place them on the GamePad, but end up falling off every time. Lego Dimension seems interesting as long as they are distributed by Warner Bros., which is my most favorite company.
#16 Posted: 14:14:21 11/07/2015
OMG! NOBODY GETS IT! ACTIVISION DIDN'T INVENT TOYS TO LIFE! SKYLANDERS ISN'T THE ORIGINAL TOYS TO LIFE!
---
I'd rather stand tall, then live on my knees, cause I am a conqueror, and I won't accept defeat! Try telling me no, one thing about me, is I am a conqueror
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#17 Posted: 14:16:18 11/07/2015
i can judge the series inferior based on my assumptions and be 110% correct. after all i have an economy major and have spent decades of my life studying the game market. so i will say this, skylanders will definitive lose to di & amiibo this year, because they turned skylanders into mario kart. yes you heard it here first, and now you know.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:18:08 11/07/2015 by CountMoneyBone
#18 Posted: 14:20:57 11/07/2015
Quote: midnightmagic34
OMG! NOBODY GETS IT! ACTIVISION DIDN'T INVENT TOYS TO LIFE! SKYLANDERS ISN'T THE ORIGINAL TOYS TO LIFE!

I think they did as they are right now.
Toys with brains which remember what you do inside the game and store informations dinamically.

But even if they didn't, you still can't call DI, Amiibos and LEGO Dimensions "ripoff" just like nobody would call Crash, Spyro, Tombi or any other platformer a "Mario ripoff" simply because it was the first.

They are all really different from Skylanders even if they use the same "gimmick".
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#19 Posted: 14:54:21 11/07/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
i can judge the series inferior based on my assumptions and be 110% correct. after all i have an economy major and have spent decades of my life studying the game market. so i will say this, skylanders will definitive lose to di & amiibo this year, because they turned skylanders into mario kart. yes you heard it here first, and now you know.

You also have a very rather annoying of mixing your opinions with facts, and think everyone shares your negative attitude. You don't know what's going to happen, you just want everyone to share your views you so you can feel good about your miserable outlook on the franchise. Even if you are correct, your insistence of poo pooing everything skylanders will still be annoying. And honestly, for someone with an economics degree and decades studying, you'd think you could put a little more effort into spelling and grammar, especially since you want to brag about how smart you think you are.

And unless there's something I don't know about amiibo, I'm not sure how they are going to outsell skylanders. As far as I can tell, they've run out of characters to make figures for...where's the revenue going to come from? DI may outsell Skylanders, but I personally doubt it. Lego Dimension looks like the biggest 'contender' to me. Personally, I think skylanders, DI, and amiibo will all do less sales then previous years. LD will do well, but not as good as the previous years of other TtL franchises. I do think my opinion is skewed though since I am not the main demographic for these franchises and don't have a good feel for how people are going to spend money this Christmas.
#20 Posted: 16:17:44 11/07/2015
I thought CountMoneyBone was being sarcastic this time, at least in the first part of his post.

Sincerely doubt DI (or even Amiibos... They are not even TtL in my eyes) would be able to outsell Skylanders.

Maaaaaaybe LEGO Dimensions could do it but it's still way to early to say anything remotely plausible.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#21 Posted: 16:19:20 11/07/2015
Actully, UB Funkeys were toys with brains, that remembered their money, and experiences much like Skylanders:
UB Funkeys <---------- click here
---
Boomer05 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#22 Posted: 16:22:44 11/07/2015
Nintendo is way better than Activision, but Skylanders are better, and have more use than amiibos.
---
Kaos vs Bowser!! My life is complete.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#23 Posted: 16:24:31 11/07/2015
I thought CountMoneyBone was being sarcastic this time, at least in the first part of his post.

Sincerely doubt DI (or even Amiibos... They are not even TtL in my eyes) would be able to outsell Skylanders.

Maaaaaaybe LEGO Dimensions could do it but it's still way to early to say anything remotely plausible.

your correct and it was just a joke... who takes a thread with a header like this dead serious?... if you ask me this thread should be closed.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5366
#24 Posted: 16:51:09 11/07/2015

They are bringing toys to life in some games, like Smash Bros., Codename S.T.E.A.M. and the upcoming Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, but for most games they just unlock awesome extras.

I wouldn't count Super Smash Bros. The characters are already "to life" with or without the toys. All the toys do is select a character from the character select screen, same as any CPU player.

Anyway, I have to say the biggest advantage Skylanders has over the competition is that every figure feels truly unique when you play as them. When you buy a figure you know you'll get a cool little unique experience. With Disney Infinity too many characters play similarly to one another, some with nothing at all to set them apart and some with very little to set them apart. And add to that the fact that most abilities can be used by every character via tools and packs, and you have characters that are largely alternate skins of one another.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:34 11/07/2015 by Muffin Man
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#25 Posted: 17:14:10 11/07/2015
Quote: Muffin Man

I wouldn't count Super Smash Bros. The characters are already "to life" with or without the toys. All the toys do is select a character from the character select screen, same as any CPU player.

You could say the same for all the Skylanders games, then. When using amiibo in Smash Bros., levels, equipment and play styles will all be saved to the amiibo figurine, making it far different from just picking a CPU opponent.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:15:07 11/07/2015 by FireMeowth
#26 Posted: 17:37:26 11/07/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone

your correct and it was just a joke... who takes a thread with a header like this dead serious?... if you ask me this thread should be closed.

Completely missed any sarcasm in that post.
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#27 Posted: 18:04:57 11/07/2015
I think LEGO Dimensions will win unless Nintendo give amiibo a big restock.
---
You can't handle MEMES
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#28 Posted: 18:41:29 11/07/2015
amiibo for me.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#29 Posted: 19:47:29 11/07/2015
The whole Toys coming to life thing is mostly for Slylanders and Legos. Slylanders are creatures lost from their world and need you to put them on a magical portal to zap them back in. Yet they are sold as toys as proven in the Giants opening so I gues Skylanders has many different universes. Lego is the same as Slylanders. Disney Infinity is a child's imagination where anything can be built. And Amiibo are just Amiboo.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#30 Posted: 19:52:39 11/07/2015
I'm admittedly biased to Amiibo due to being established characters that I already like or have grown up with (also with their Smash integration making them worth buying alone). And their ability to be used in multiple titles means that I can get a figure and still likely find a use for it, even if the current uses are none that I'm interested in (e.g. I don't much care for their use in Hyrule Warriors, but I can use them for Mario Kart all the same).

Meanwhile Skylanders is mostly original characters that I have no attachment to and work only for a series that I think is merely decent at best and not worth the high price of entry. And I've never cared for Disney Infinity in the slightest. I have no opinion on the Lego one, though Lego Portal does seem pretty cool.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#31 Posted: 19:58:53 11/07/2015
Quote: Muffin Man

This is incorrect.

In Smash Bros, FP ("Figure Player", the player class that Amiibos are marked as) work very differently to a CPU.

-They have a leveling system (from Lv. 1 to Lv. 50) that automatically increases their statistics. For example, at Lv. 50, they have 1.5 times the amount of attack power compared to a normal player or CPU even without custom equipment (so the first hit box on Rosalina's D-air which normally does 8% damage, does 12% if performed by a Lv. 50 Rosalina Amiibo).

-Their level also effects their overall intelligence.

-FP actually learn, adapt to, and remember your fighting tactics, and retain and refine this knowledge from match to match. This can manifest in them using your strategies if you train them for a while as the same character they are, or coming up with counters to whatever habits you have. They can even learn things of their own accord. Of course, this also carries over to them fighting other Amiibos. This is in stark contrast to CPU players, who even when set to Level 9 difficulty, have very predictable patterns (for example, Rosalina & Luma are completely broken against Level 9 CPU players because they don't register Luma's presence as a player, only his attacks which they will try to dodge, meaning they will never actively attack Luma. I have seen my Amiibos go after Luma plenty of times, though). It's also worth noting that even after hitting Lv. 50, Amiibos will continue to learn and improve in their skills. The leveling is primarily for their base stats.

-FP can be fed equipment. This is fundamentally different to how players and CPUs utilise equipment. Players and CPUs can only wear three pieces of equipment at a time. FP however, consume equipment and retain it's effects for good, meaning they can eventually be built up to have much more overpowered stats than a player or CPU. This is on top of the natural buffs they already receive from leveling up. This essentially means you can use Amiibos to design your own boss characters (this is how I use my Amiibos).

-FP will pick up loot after battles, which you can then pick up on any system. So I could train my Amiibos on Smash 3DS, and then drop their loot to my Smash Wii U game save. I could also opt to give the loot to my friend's Wii U or 3DS game save. If you have 8 Amiibos, you can easily put them into a 99 stock match, go out for an hour or two, come back, and they will have tons of loot ready for you to claim or give to a friend.

So you are incredibly mistaken in saying that Amiibos simply are the same as CPU players. They can very much form and develop their own fighting personality, with your aid. I once put my Yoshi and Captain Falcon Amiibos into a 99-stock 2v2v2v2 match with them being on the same team. They won, and then on the next match, I pitted them against each other in a 1v1. However, they wouldn't attack each other at all, because they had just taught themselves not to as they were partners for so long and being great partners was what one them the match. I have also noticed my Rosalina Amiibo makes for an amazing team mate, even sacrificing her own stocks to bring back her fallen partners, almost being a caring mother, like the actual character in canon. You will never witness stuff like this with a CPU.

---------------

As for my opinion, I like Amiibos the most for the following reasons:

-These are actually characters I have an established love or at least appreciation for and knowledge of (with few exceptions, like Splatoon Amiibos), some of them I've loved since their inception or since I was born.

-While the above can be applied to DI figures and Lego Dimensions and like, 1% of the Skylanders figures, those games all greatly alter the designs of these beloved characters to fit in together, and that reflects on the figures. Outside of the Smash line, Amiibos don't have to do this at all, since for example, the "Super Mario" Amiibos are based off that PARTICULAR franchise and all of the characters have consistent designs in that franchise and actually have looked like that in their games for ages. And even with the Smash line, the designs there barely change the characters and certainly don't mess with their tone. In fact, while DI and Lego Dimensions dumb down many character designs, Smash actually only ever added extra little details, and they are tasteful too (like Rosalina having a sheeny texture and a star pattern on her gown, which she normally doesn't have in Mario games, but it fits the cosmic, ethereal vibes the character actually gives off normally anyway, and helps her fit in a little more next to a character like Marth, without messing with the relatively simple art style she already had been drawn in). So basically, I think Amiibos better retain the identity of the characters than the other crossover toys to life lines and when they do make changes, they never really take away detail from normally detailed characters, they add small tasteful details to less detailed characters instead.

-Amiibos are easier to take apart and make custom mods of. And they have much more to work with in terms of customs by default, such as making Mario customs that are based off of all of the power up costumes he has.

-Amiibos are not only cross platform, but cross-universe and genre. Smash serves as a central hub game for many Amiibos, but like, you can actually get something out of a Sonic Amiibo in Mario Kart 8, which is really cool.

-With the exception of Splatoon (and I don't defend how poorly it handles Amiibo functionality), Amiibos never make me feel like I need them to enjoy my game or any major part of it, while the other toylines REQUIRE I buy a game, some toys of characters, other doodads like Trap Crystals and Power Discs, and not to mention require an external NFC reader for me to even start playing. While I want at least one game that uses Amiibos similarly to Disney Infinity on a basic level (some kind of adventure game where you can play as the entire Smash Bros cast and build your own adventures with the Amiibos you have or whatever), that's ONLY because Nintendo have already convinced me of their potential through slowly easing me into it and that has led me to already amass a large collection. I bought these for my own reasons and if a game like DI ever came out for them, I'd be able to buy that at a regular game price and just use the figures I already bought for my own reasons.

-In the end, while Skylanders and DI range from mediocre games to just solid games, Nintendo games range from great to amazing, and there is a lot more of them. What's more, they don't REQUIRE I buy the figures to start out. Skylanders and DI ask that I fork out way more than I normally would for a game to access it at all, which is unjustified as the games themselves are nothing spectacular. They're not BAD, but they're not spectacular, they are basically your standard movie tie-in action games, only much more expensive, and they generally don't have the shelf life of a game like Smash or Mario Party.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#32 Posted: 20:02:48 11/07/2015
I like Amiibo the most.
---
You can't handle MEMES
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#33 Posted: 20:09:35 11/07/2015
Quote: somePerson
The whole Toys coming to life thing is mostly for Slylanders and Legos. Slylanders are creatures lost from their world and need you to put them on a magical portal to zap them back in. Yet they are sold as toys as proven in the Giants opening so I gues Skylanders has many different universes. Lego is the same as Slylanders. Disney Infinity is a child's imagination where anything can be built. And Amiibo are just Amiboo.

Actually Amiibos have "in universe explanations" too. In Smash Wii U/3DS, they are the trophies coming to life, which is a reference to the Melee intro and the story of Brawl (in Brawl's Subspace Emissary, being turned into a trophy was equivalent to a character "dying", so releasing them from the trophy was "bringing them to life"). In Mario Party 10, they are pieces on a board, as represented by the official art used on the menu option for the Amiibo Party mode:

[User Posted Image]
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#34 Posted: 21:37:00 11/07/2015
Skymiibos ftw
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
night bomb guy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1538
#35 Posted: 23:19:49 11/07/2015
I've heard of di, amiibo, and skylanders but what's dimensions?
---
This account has been closed in favor of a new account name.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#36 Posted: 23:57:54 11/07/2015
Quote: night bomb guy
I've heard of di, amiibo, and skylanders but what's dimensions?

Lego is entering the scene with a video game that works with special Lego figures and sets. Dimensions in particular is notable not just for this new use of Lego sets, but for a massive amount of IPs they're allowed to use with it. Batman, Portal, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, And Lord of the Rings are just a few of the IPs to expect for the game.

Some more info here.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me