Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
confederate flag [CLOSED]
Rattlebuckler Gold Sparx Gems: 2298
#1 Posted: 23:37:24 04/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Do you agree or disagree with the steps taken aginst the confederate flag I think if they they want to get rid of my confederate flag they will have to kill me first # southern pride
---
We’re 106 miles from Chicago we got a full tank of gas a half a pack of cigarettes it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses hit it -blues brothers
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#2 Posted: 23:39:50 04/07/2015
It doesn't stand for slavery, though I can see why people would take it down, I don't agree with everything, but I understand it,
Then there's the extreme southerners that make me question the human race.

I'll probably post a more in depth post later :V
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#3 Posted: 23:41:46 04/07/2015
>confederacy was formed so the south could keep their slaves
>still used as symbol of the south's past, with strong ties to slavery
>still stands as symbol of racism to this day
>"if they they want to get rid of my confederate flag they will have to kill me first # southern pride"

okay
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:42:23 04/07/2015 by StriderSwag
#4 Posted: 23:46:27 04/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
>"if they they want to get rid of my confederate flag they will have to kill me first # southern pride"

okay

If you know history then you should know for one most of the south did not own slaves cause most of the south was farm boy only rich and wealthy owned slaves and two the union said the confederates could keep the slaves if they joined the union
---
We’re 106 miles from Chicago we got a full tank of gas a half a pack of cigarettes it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses hit it -blues brothers
#5 Posted: 23:48:57 04/07/2015
Not all of the south wanted slaves
The majority yes.
But it wasn't just slaves, it was their way of life that they wanted to keep,
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#6 Posted: 23:48:57 04/07/2015
@Rattlebuckler If you really knew history, you would not say such garbage.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:51:39 04/07/2015 by Trix Master 100
#7 Posted: 23:49:53 04/07/2015
Quote: Trix Master 100
^If you really knew history, you would not say such garbage.

Ninja'd
Posted at the same second.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#8 Posted: 23:51:22 04/07/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael
Quote: Trix Master 100
^If you really knew history, you would not say such garbage.

Ninja'd
Posted at the same second.

Oh ****. Well... Just know that, that post was meant for rattlebuckler.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#9 Posted: 23:56:46 04/07/2015
Quote: Rattlebuckler

okay

If you know history then you should know for one most of the south did not own slaves cause most of the south was farm boy only rich and wealthy owned slaves and two the union said the confederates could keep the slaves if they joined the union

1. **** you I'm a history major
2. the fact that it was mostly farmland doesn't matter at all, the rich and wealthy who did own slaves controlled nearly everything in the south, and many of them influenced politicians to do their bidding, much like today's government
3. the union only did that to stop the war, lincoln planned to abolish slavery as peacefully as possible
4. even if it was only the "rich and wealthy" most all of the rich and wealthy in that time period lived in union territory, supported the union and its economy, and most of the rich and wealthy in the south had plantations with hundreds of slaves
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#10 Posted: 00:01:49 05/07/2015
well i mean from a historical standpoint ending slavery was more of just the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak after a long period of people in the southern states believing that the northern states were taking advantage of them for their farms and raw materials production capability, which was a pretty universal feeling dating all the way back to shay's rebellion back right after the revolutionary war.

if anyone in any state wanted slaves it was typically the big business plantation owners who were looking for anyway possible to get as cheap labor as possible, the same people that in modern times are the same people who refuse to pay employees a living wage or give decent benefits. it's all relative to means.

i'm really not trying to play devil's advocate i'm just tired of historical misconceptions.
---
tubular
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#11 Posted: 01:47:02 05/07/2015
Does it stand for something awful? Yes.

But when you think about it, so does every flag.

Like I said, if we're going to ban flags based on crimes against humanity committed by that nation, the first to go should be the Union Jack.

If burning the American flag is protected by the First Amendment, then I see no reason why flying the Confederate one should not be.
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#12 Posted: 01:50:24 05/07/2015
Guise it's not even the confederate flag that was used in the war. It was Tennessees flag I'm pretty sure.
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#13 Posted: 01:51:09 05/07/2015

okay

1. **** you I'm a history major
2. the fact that it was mostly farmland doesn't matter at all, the rich and wealthy who did own slaves controlled nearly everything in the south, and many of them influenced politicians to do their bidding, much like today's government
3. the union only did that to stop the war, lincoln planned to abolish slavery as peacefully as possible
4. even if it was only the "rich and wealthy" most all of the rich and wealthy in that time period lived in union territory, supported the union and its economy, and most of the rich and wealthy in the south had plantations with hundreds of slaves

Unblock me, I have a serious question.
Philomena Blue Sparx Gems: 959
#14 Posted: 02:14:24 05/07/2015
I've said it in another topic and I'll say it again here. Government buildings shouldn't fly a flag that whatever context you want to give it, if nothing else, signifies a period in which part of the country wanted to be / was separate from another part of the country. No government building on the U.S. soil should fly that flag.

If people want to fly the confederate flag on their own personal private property, that's entirely their own business, and nobody should argue with them about it except for their neighbors who really hate them for it.
---
Don't worry, I'm a qualified Reactor Operator. I can handle this situation.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#15 Posted: 02:34:57 05/07/2015
This again...
Quote: AvatariDragon
Quote: AvatariDragon
The Confederates were people in the south who wanted to preserve their heritage and way of life. Yes, slavery was part of that but not all southerners supported slavery or owned slaves or were part of the KKK. And as a southerner myself, I find it offensive when people assume things like this, especially when I haven't done a damn thing to anyone.

Adding on to it, I feel like if other flags are allowed in this country, the Confederate flag should be too. Whether you like it or not, it is a part of our history. A major part, actually, so I kinda think it deserves to be flown more than most other flags, besides our national flag of course. Most of the time it isn't even flown for racism or anything, it's just seen as southern pride. "I'm from the south and I'm proud." That's literally what people are saying when they fly it. I've even seen black people fly the flag, or at least support it. People just think it's bad because people like the KKK use it for bad things, and just like the KKK, the only people who really seem to care anymore are the people who can't seem to let go of a past that doesn't even affect them.

Also, it's not like we're asking for it to be flown on government property, at least I'm not anyway. The only flag that should be flown in places like that is the national flag and that state's flag if they want.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#16 Posted: 03:20:25 05/07/2015 | Topic Creator
And now they are putting robert e lee under the gun honestly theyare not just attacking the flag but the whole confederacy
---
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#17 Posted: 03:51:15 05/07/2015
And now they are putting robert e lee under the gun honestly theyare not just attacking the flag but the whole confederacy

Gee I wonder why? Why would they disapprove of a group of people responsible for causing a bloody war? Why would they target a movement rooted in racism and slavery? Why would they do such a thing?
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
Philomena Blue Sparx Gems: 959
#18 Posted: 03:59:01 05/07/2015

Lol .
---
Don't worry, I'm a qualified Reactor Operator. I can handle this situation.
#19 Posted: 03:59:45 05/07/2015

That isn't surprising?..
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#20 Posted: 04:29:02 05/07/2015

"Muh Confederacy!"
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#21 Posted: 04:30:19 05/07/2015

it's almost like they were the bad guys or something
---
tubular
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me