Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Do you support the "pride parade"?
Page 1 of 1
Do you support the "pride parade"? [CLOSED]
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5402
#1 Posted: 02:32:34 02/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I seek in-depth opinions from a point of view of someone who has just learned about what it is, and they need a stance on the whole thing.

Personally, I am against it. Unfortunately, the U.S. is especially bent on stereotyping and the typical person here will believe all gays act flamboyantly. Mind you there is nothing wrong with being flamboyant, flaming or not you are still a valuable human being and a building block of our society. We should be able to love who we want but shoving it so bluntly in the faces of those who don't necessarily agree with the phenomenon only fuels the hate and give the gays a bad reputation (IMO). Also, the jumping around barely naked scene which is a seemingly popular act at most parades makes it all seem more like a freak show on wheels rather than a parade designed to channel allies.

EDIT (7/2 10:21 A.M. EST): I would appreciate the parade much more if the beginning of the parade (people of all identities and sexual creeds walking by with pickets that demonstrate a true message would take over the whole thing. Many who participate in the pride parade itself are "extremists" and express themselves extremely openly and that is not the entire community. Once the stripping starts (yes, this happens in the middle of it all), it becomes NSFW.

Also, here in the heart of NYC, it causes terrible traffic.
This topic is not designed to offend. I am just very curious of what you all think.
Now, you go!
---
BREATHE AIR.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:21:25 02/07/2015 by ThroneOfMalefor
Gage Platinum Sparx Gems: 6654
#2 Posted: 02:42:46 02/07/2015
Where's My cheese lovers parade?
If LGBT get to have a parade for their pride for being L/G/B/T, then I want My cheese pride parade.
---
Got it Memorized?
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#3 Posted: 02:45:19 02/07/2015
OMFG I can't agree more. I find them disgusting. They do no good and simply paint a bad picture of the LGBT community. You can find another way to show your pride other than streaking down streets covered in various rainbow colored items/objects. They're unnecessary. They just shove LGBT in people's faces, taunting "HAHA LOOK AT US, WE'RE LGBT SO WE GET SPECIAL PRIVILEGES! IF YOU DISAGREE, YOU'RE AN IGNORANT BIGOT!!!" Just, urrggg. I'm tired of some of the LGBT People who think that it's ok for them to insult others and push their beliefs onto others who may not agree with them. You're being no better than the people who are against same-sex marriage. Please, stop.

God i'm terrible at gathering my thoughts
---
Gay 4 GARcher
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#4 Posted: 02:49:27 02/07/2015
Pride parades leave streets messy and are counter productive to the LGBT-fight for equal rights. Straight people don't have parades, do they? I'm all for pride. Everyone should be proud of who they are, who they come from, and who they hope to be. But trashing a city is not the way to do that.
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 10006
#5 Posted: 03:09:55 02/07/2015
I really hate how sexual they make it and how it seems like everyone participating are nearly naked
Isn't it also supposed to be for the lgbt+ community? Because they seem to only focus on homosexual people and forget everyone else
Like I get you want to be validated but this isn't the way to go at it
---
Twinkies and 2hus
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#6 Posted: 03:12:59 02/07/2015
Quote: Cynderfan507
The lgbt wants homosexuality to be something that's seen as normal and a parade for it seems kinda... Not normal.

Quote: Iceclaw
I really hate how sexual they make it and how it seems like everyone participating are nearly naked

These are basically my thoughts on it.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#7 Posted: 03:13:58 02/07/2015
Quote: AvatariDragon
The lgbt wants homosexuality to be something that's seen as normal and a parade for it seems kinda... Not normal.

Exactly My thoughts.
---
Got it Memorized?
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#8 Posted: 03:21:13 02/07/2015
Quote: Gage

Exactly My thoughts.

Basically my exact thoughts.
#9 Posted: 03:21:51 02/07/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael

Exactly My thoughts.

An exact clone of My thoughts.
---
Got it Memorized?
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#10 Posted: 03:22:28 02/07/2015

Exactly My thoughts.

That's funny, because I thought the exact same thing.
#11 Posted: 03:25:22 02/07/2015

That's funny, because I thought the exact same thing.

It's like if our thoughts were our own children, My child would look just like Yours
---
Got it Memorized?
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#12 Posted: 03:52:14 02/07/2015
I tend to be against any kind of pride, as I find it annoying (If not immature.).

So, yes I am against it...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:52:26 02/07/2015 by cowpowa23
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#13 Posted: 03:54:02 02/07/2015
They make the stereotype of gays being flamboyant look true.
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#14 Posted: 03:54:36 02/07/2015
I'm proud of the fact that our nation has established equal marriage rights for gays nationwide, however the ways in which we go about showing our support for it shouldn't be vicious or by use of intimidation.
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#15 Posted: 03:58:49 02/07/2015
Where's My cheese lovers parade?
If LGBT get to have a parade for their pride for being L/G/B/T, then I want My cheese pride parade.

Hold on a second

So you support them defacing and disrespecting the symbol of our country...

But you disapprove of them marching around making fools of themselves?

Done with the internet goodbye everyone
---
now its time to get funky
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#16 Posted: 12:30:25 02/07/2015
Just gonna throw this out there, but have any of you actually seen the Pride Parade, or are you just basing your opinions on assumptions?
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#17 Posted: 12:38:43 02/07/2015
Quote: spyrolvr96
Just gonna throw this out there, but have any of you actually seen the Pride Parade, or are you just basing your opinions on assumptions?

Good point.

I've never actually been, but i hear people have a good time.

They're proud of who they are and as long as they're not doing anyone harm what's the big problem?
---
^ You all know it's true
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#18 Posted: 13:35:25 02/07/2015

yo this guy has a point
i havent heard of any pride parades being as bad as mentioned in this topic
EDIT: NINJA'D BY AN ACTUAL SECOND
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:35:59 02/07/2015 by arceustheprime
#19 Posted: 14:10:42 02/07/2015 | Topic Creator

I have been caught in Manhattan pretty much forced to watch it on two occasions. So yes, I know what it looks like. Know who YOU are talking to before making assumptions, please. Follow the OP's request and DON'T try to piss people off by reprimanding people you clearly lack relations with. Thank you.

Quote: Greeble

Good point.

They're proud of who they are and as long as they're not doing anyone harm what's the big problem?

The problem is that not only are the majority of straight bystanders grossed out by it, a large enough numerator of the LGBT community also expresses disgust towards it. They are doing themselves more harm than good. These parades only focus on the LG part of the acronym when the T, I believe, should be recognized if anything, since that's the only true unique identity. I just don't see what's so good about liking other men/women that you have to throw a huge celebration for it. You aren't proving anything and most will not hop on the train. I don't see homosexuality as a fetish but many of those who don't understand it sure as hell do.
>as long as they're not doing harm what's the problem
You can't look at it from this locale. We'd might as well organize straight pride parades, let's see how people react to that.
The "pride" here is so ass backwards especially when the parade rejects bisexuals in straight relationships and the lot. The reason an Irish pride parade would be a hit is because they bring culture from a distant country and share it with us. We can learn history, try new foods, make new friends, learn new things overall. What do you get from a pride parade? People walking down the street expecting you to praise their sexual uniqueness. What you prefer sexually is duty best done behind doors, there is no need to vocalize yourself like this.
---
BREATHE AIR.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#20 Posted: 15:56:50 02/07/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor

I have been caught in Manhattan pretty much forced to watch it on two occasions. So yes, I know what it looks like. Know who YOU are talking to before making assumptions, please. Follow the OP's request and DON'T try to piss people off by reprimanding people you clearly lack relations with. Thank you.

Quote: Greeble

Good point.

The problem is that not only are the majority of straight bystanders grossed out by it, a large enough numerator of the LGBT community also expresses disgust towards it. They are doing themselves more harm than good. These parades only focus on the LG part of the acronym when the T, I believe, should be recognized if anything, since that's the only true unique identity. I just don't see what's so good about liking other men/women that you have to throw a huge celebration for it. You aren't proving anything and most will not hop on the train. I don't see homosexuality as a fetish but many of those who don't understand it sure as hell do.
>as long as they're not doing harm what's the problem
You can't look at it from this locale. We'd might as well organize straight pride parades, let's see how people react to that.
The "pride" here is so ass backwards especially when the parade rejects bisexuals in straight relationships and the lot. The reason an Irish pride parade would be a hit is because they bring culture from a distant country and share it with us. We can learn history, try new foods, make new friends, learn new things overall. What do you get from a pride parade? People walking down the street expecting you to praise their sexual uniqueness. What you prefer sexually is duty best done behind doors, there is no need to vocalize yourself like this.

If everyone was exactly the same the world would be a very dull place.

We all think differently and have different ways of expressing ourselves.

You can make new friends at a pride parade, if you choose to.

So people should only be gay, bi or trans where no-one can see them?
---
^ You all know it's true
#21 Posted: 16:29:05 02/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Nobody is saying you should not express individualism...? Your sexual preference is not profiling. Straight people come in all different types of shapes and sizes and they all share the same sexual preference.

Not saying you can't reveal yourself, just don't make a freak show to spread the message, make people aware and work with them to understand more instead of forcing it down everyone's throats.

Being blunt here, your sexual orientation isn't nearly as important as many people make it out to be. In fact, it isn't important at all to anyone but yourself.
---
BREATHE AIR.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:31:30 02/07/2015 by ThroneOfMalefor
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#22 Posted: 17:52:06 02/07/2015
i went to one in paris a few days ago and the only thing that was "forcing it down everyone's throats" was the lgbta+ flags and rainbow colored floats

i've seen more shirtless people at fourth of july parades tbh
---
tubular
#23 Posted: 20:31:53 02/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Maybe it's just a NYC thing. The main theming was glitter and thong this year.
Then I petition the NYC parade.
---
BREATHE AIR.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#24 Posted: 21:06:05 02/07/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
Personally, I am against it. Unfortunately, the U.S. is especially bent on stereotyping and the typical person here will believe all gays act flamboyantly. Mind you there is nothing wrong with being flamboyant, flaming or not you are still a valuable human being and a building block of our society. We should be able to love who we want but shoving it so bluntly in the faces of those who don't necessarily agree with the phenomenon only fuels the hate and give the gays a bad reputation (IMO). Also, the jumping around barely naked scene which is a seemingly popular act at most parades makes it all seem more like a freak show on wheels rather than a parade designed to channel allies.

Pretty much this.

Pride parades on paper is a good idea, but if one of the biggest points of LGBT rights is to prove that sexual orientation is completely normal and nothing out of the ordinary, it may help to not act out at these parades.

Also, gay or straight, you shouldn't be stripping or getting nude in a public area with kids around.
Philomena Blue Sparx Gems: 959
#25 Posted: 21:32:05 02/07/2015
I watched a documentary about asexual individuals and it was terrible to see how they were shunned by people from any side of the LGBTQ+ parade they found themselves participating in. There was a man dressed only in a speedo, who was painted in rainbows, flat-out telling the asexual representative guy "I can't agree with what you do." CAN'T AGREE WITH PEOPLE NOT FEELING INTERESTED IN SEXUAL INTERCOURSE WHILE PRANCING AROUND SHOWING OFF YOUR GAYNESS WHAT THE **** YOU JERKWAD.

Clearly some individuals have no interest in learning anything about people who are in a REAL minority.

Umm but other than that I don't really have any big opinion about gay pride parades. I live in the suburbs and parades don't happen here very often so I don't get bothered by them causing traffic or anything.
---
Don't worry, I'm a qualified Reactor Operator. I can handle this situation.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#26 Posted: 21:41:26 02/07/2015
No.

Just because you're straight, or gay/lesbian, or trans doesn't make you better then anyone else and therefore you don't need a parade.

(sorry if I seem harsh, it's just what I think.)
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 10006
#27 Posted: 01:05:22 03/07/2015
Quote: CAV
Also, gay or straight, you shouldn't be stripping or getting nude in a public area with kids around.

This so much
I dunno how parades are in other places but in a lot of cities in the U.S. (mine included) the parade is extremely sexual with people being practically naked.
The whole nudity thing is so so unnecessary since some kids are bound to see it (as well as sex-repusled asexuals or people that are just uncomfortable with it for other reasons).
I honestly don't understand why something like this has to be correlated(?) with nudity.
---
Twinkies and 2hus
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me