Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Turn Skylanders into a TV series
Page 1 of 1
Turn Skylanders into a TV series [CLOSED]
spyro2015 Red Sparx Gems: 44
#1 Posted: 13:54:34 29/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm new here.

Do you all remember Digimon (Adventure 01-02), Monster Rancher & Monsuno?

I think they should make a TV series out of it? From Portal Masters-Superchargers. Something like the shows I mentioned.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 17:42:53 29/06/2015
Portal Masters isn't a game that happened.

Activision said they were considering a TV show over a movie(probably because of over a 100 unique characters) but nothing else came up on the subject. An adventure series of the sort could or could not work, it'd depend on the writers - you really need to be into the canon to get some of the characters and dragging someone with no knowledge of the series in wouldn't end well.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#3 Posted: 22:30:59 29/06/2015
TBH..

Skylanders really needs to stop being made at all.

It's turning into call of duty. :I
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#4 Posted: 22:56:06 29/06/2015
Quote: parisruelz12
TBH..

Yeah, let's also stop Mario, Sonic, consoles,and every book and comic with monthly release. How dare people have a proeminent franchise.
No, really. It's not a bad series, let it be good while it's good.
---
#5 Posted: 18:05:30 01/07/2015
Quote: Bifrost
TBH..

Yeah, let's also stop Mario, Sonic, consoles,and every book and comic with monthly release. How dare people have a proeminent franchise.
No, really. It's not a bad series, let it be good while it's good.

Joke, as Activision owns both series.
---
#6 Posted: 18:08:31 01/07/2015
Yeah, but since when multiple games owned by a company are the same thing? You're really grasping into straws to criticize. Skylanders is a nice series, has a really good canon to be explored into stories - it just needs to be handled well to be great for everyone.(minus oldschool fans who don't give it a chance ever)
---
#7 Posted: 18:23:08 01/07/2015
Yeah, but since when multiple games owned by a company are the same thing? You're really grasping into straws to criticize. Skylanders is a nice series, has a really good canon to be explored into stories - it just needs to be handled well to be great for everyone.(minus oldschool fans who don't give it a chance ever)

Skylanders is a very repetitive game with that relies to heavily on it's gimmicks to make money. While the series is very child friendly, it get's really old fast. Not to mention they reuse the same bland story "Kaos is doing something suspicious, go stop him." "The canon" is short excerpts in character background and nothing more. To be fair, you can't give these figures anymore personality then they already have, and that's very little. Yes, I've the played the games. I still don't understand why their so popular to begin with. But to each his own.

(And BTW, my first comment was a joke)
---
#8 Posted: 18:35:01 01/07/2015
Books,comics, extra material, lore, the plot twists and the secondary villains. Not much background there, it's very in the face.
Just giving a glance at the Wiki,there's plenty of juicy delicious lore for a cartoon with focus on story and character.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:36:42 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#9 Posted: 18:37:37 01/07/2015
Books,comics, extra material, lore, the plot twists and the secondary villains. Not much background there, it's very in the face.

..Which is all very predictable.
---
#10 Posted: 18:53:44 01/07/2015
It's a kids' game, you can't expect a Last of Us out of this. It's still very smart for its target audience when it comes to the twists, it's not exactly insulting your intelligence (most of the time) nor complex enough that no kid would get it, except maybe for some of the darker concepts like Nefarion's way of making Portal Masters rare.

I mean heck, my avatar is from a character that despite being incredibly heroic has some apparently involuntary way of channeling dark arts and is shunned by the very people she saves, and for that reason she's grown stoic and no-nonsense when she clearly wishes she was having as much fun with her job as everyone else. That's the kind of character that you'd never find in a dumb uninspired series.

And that's why it'd be a great cartoon show, if the derailing is going too far.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:00:08 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#11 Posted: 19:12:21 01/07/2015
No, it wouldn't.

There would be no production value; Activison would probably put it on Saturday morning Nick, meaning that it would get no ratings because kids nowawdays wouldn't want to wake up on Saturday morning just to see a cartoon. Not only this, the writing would be terrible as they would hire the cheapest, newest writers out there. The animation would probably be crud because no one at nick knows how to animate.

Activison only cares about money, not about anything else.
---
#12 Posted: 19:18:26 01/07/2015
You're just guessing and assuming. Just because it CAN be crap doesn't mean it WOULD be in every single possible way. Awesome gems have showed up from possible filler and shovelware and will keep as long as someone cares. Even after Sonic Boom was put against everything that would make it crap(adaptation,a writer with more focus on funny than actual characters,a crappy game,SEGA's inner issues) it still manages to be decent, and that's just off the top of my head.
Acti might be greedy,but their devs want to make a good franchise. It's why we have the series' lore in the first place, it's why we have comics with an overarching plot, it's why there's so much to read between the lines. If they get the chance to have their writers(and Paul Reiche and I-Wei since they seem to do lore work just as much) give input and have the tools,they'll make good use of them.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:19:21 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#13 Posted: 19:31:47 01/07/2015

Skylanders is a very repetitive game with that relies to heavily on it's gimmicks to make money. While the series is very child friendly, it get's really old fast. Not to mention they reuse the same bland story "Kaos is doing something suspicious, go stop him." "The canon" is short excerpts in character background and nothing more. To be fair, you can't give these figures anymore personality then they already have, and that's very little. Yes, I've the played the games. I still don't understand why their so popular to begin with. But to each his own.

(And BTW, my first comment was a joke)

Uh.
That's not true.

And there's also Books/Graphic novels or whatever people call them on the Skylanders.

Not trying to argue, just saying
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#14 Posted: 22:07:52 01/07/2015
No, it wouldn't.

There would be no production value; Activison would probably put it on Saturday morning Nick, meaning that it would get no ratings because kids nowawdays wouldn't want to wake up on Saturday morning just to see a cartoon. Not only this, the writing would be terrible as they would hire the cheapest, newest writers out there. The animation would probably be crud because no one at nick knows how to animate.

Activison only cares about money, not about anything else.

Someone hasn't read the books, comics, and novels~

It would be cool to see a Skylanders tv series, it can add more character to the Skylanders that the games haven't shown.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:25:17 02/07/2015 by Aura24
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#15 Posted: 06:21:41 02/07/2015
Pari is just saying her thoughts on the situation. No need to pack up like hounds on it. Respect other's opinions should be considerably a thing.

TBH a TV show of Skylanders, might actually over do it. If they haven't already over did it.

Also the game's stories are in fact quite repetitive. SuperCharger's probably should be using another villain. Because you can catch Kaos in Trap Team. Just when you think it's the end and they ended it with a good game out of the series they pull off a Nuts and Bolts and make another based around cars and other vehicles. Which is why I'm considering stopping at Trap Team, and going on to other series of games. Other series that don't re use the same villain over and over making more plot holes with that said villain. Instead of using potentially other good villains from their comics and other lore. To that I say this is an opinion, and if you dog me, you have stooped a bit low on the respect scale.

[User Posted Image]
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#16 Posted: 11:31:47 02/07/2015
Yeah but she's just straight up saying it'll be bad because she says so and the series is bad because of Acti(TFB,Beenox and VV much?). Way to cut off any and all discussion.

The stories are repetitive ON THE SURFACE. Sure, yes, all games are 'stop Kaos from X', but how many stories out there are 'stop villain from X'? That includes some that people call masterpieces. Trap Team on that regard subverted it quite well at first, and Superchargers(which, not being about building vehicles, has nothing to do with NnB though I made the joke before) seems to be setting up for The Darkness trying for its spotlight.

Also I was mad at first with Kaos showing up again, but then someone brought up Bowser and Eggman. They really only need to explain his return in the prequel graphic novel. No plot holes IF WE DON'T EVEN HAVE THE CUTSCENES TO TELL US THAT YET. Traptanium can be broken out of, it's been shown in some backstories, we just need to know by who and how.

Now, if I dare to disagree and prove that your points aren't what you're saying ingame is being disrespectful, then call me whaever you want because I'll do that anyway.
---
#17 Posted: 23:13:51 02/07/2015
Yeah but she's just straight up saying it'll be bad because she says so and the series is bad because of Acti(TFB,Beenox and VV much?). Way to cut off any and all discussion.

The stories are repetitive ON THE SURFACE. Sure, yes, all games are 'stop Kaos from X', but how many stories out there are 'stop villain from X'? That includes some that people call masterpieces. Trap Team on that regard subverted it quite well at first, and Superchargers(which, not being about building vehicles, has nothing to do with NnB though I made the joke before) seems to be setting up for The Darkness trying for its spotlight.

Also I was mad at first with Kaos showing up again, but then someone brought up Bowser and Eggman. They really only need to explain his return in the prequel graphic novel. No plot holes IF WE DON'T EVEN HAVE THE CUTSCENES TO TELL US THAT YET. Traptanium can be broken out of, it's been shown in some backstories, we just need to know by who and how.

Now, if I dare to disagree and prove that your points aren't what you're saying ingame is being disrespectful, then call me whaever you want because I'll do that anyway.

Still though, doesn't give you a right to hound another person of a double standard.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:15:35 02/07/2015 by Trix Master 100
#18 Posted: 23:25:26 02/07/2015
She's still free to keep on discussing, I didn't say she isn't allowed to talk or anything only a jerk would say - I'll just go and disprove the points that are wrong or bringing up subjective as objective. It's what makes discussions fun to have as long as it doesn't get heated or turns into insult exchanging, going back and forth with opposing or even just slightly different opinions. Now just going 'it's bad and it'll be bad and there's no other way it'll happen' kinda gives the vibe you want to keep that argument no matter if it's wrong or right.
---
#19 Posted: 23:32:42 02/07/2015
No the fact that you and another user jumped on Pari for her opinion because she didn't the comics and etc. Was the bad part.

Honestly I feel like you guys just got a little offended because of her opinion, like "how dare she have an opinion, on a subject she doesn't like". Everyone has an opinion like they have a butt, and they both stink.
---
icon from Empoh
#20 Posted: 23:36:11 02/07/2015
I didn't jump on her, I wasn't even that harsh, I just explained it's not predictable,it's not pointless, they have more than what the games get. I apologize if I insulted any of you two but my intention was just to disprove.

Well the same way everyone has a butt if you're going to show that around,don't get mad if people call you out on that, same for opinions.

...I can't believe I wrote that sentence in this context.
---
#21 Posted: 00:02:12 03/07/2015
Well sorry for seeing the situation as a pounce on a person with a different opinion. It just came and looked like that.
---
icon from Empoh
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#22 Posted: 02:09:22 04/07/2015
Having an opinion is fine, but parisruelz12's initial opinion wasn't even on topic. The topic is about a potential Skylander's cartoon, not whether or not you think the franchise as a whole should continue.

Then parisruelz12 went on to state that a Skylanders cartoon would have no production values, which is a factual claim rather than an opinion. Other posters rightly countered that claim by providing existing Skylanders story material as evidence that Skylanders story material isn't necessarily of low production value.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#23 Posted: 07:51:56 04/07/2015
It still lands on the subject of Skylanders.
---
icon from Empoh
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#24 Posted: 09:44:04 04/07/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
Having an opinion is fine, but parisruelz12's initial opinion wasn't even on topic. The topic is about a potential Skylander's cartoon, not whether or not you think the franchise as a whole should continue.

Then parisruelz12 went on to state that a Skylanders cartoon would have no production values, which is a factual claim rather than an opinion. Other posters rightly countered that claim by providing existing Skylanders story material as evidence that Skylanders story material isn't necessarily of low production value.

She was still on topic, you don't have to get that specific,
#25 Posted: 12:23:40 04/07/2015
I don't think she's coming back to this topic unless to bring up that subject again so I don't think this subject is going anywhere.

Back on Skylanders cartoon series, what would be a better plot for it - overarching arc(like Mask of Power) or smaller arcs/one-per-episode missions(like the IDW comics)? Either has been done really well before in a cartoon but the latter definately helps show more characters per season.
---
#26 Posted: 17:03:01 16/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Wouldn't be better for Skylanders to be turned into a digimon-monster rancher type of series?
#27 Posted: 17:39:14 16/07/2015
Quote: spyro2015
Wouldn't be better for Skylanders to be turned into a digimon-monster rancher type of series?

The problem is that those have a very set in stone (minus the sixth ranger of the day)cast and are very arc heavy, filler aside. With 100+ Skylanders with defined personalities, throwing that out for up to 10 we'll have to see all the time would feel cheap and waste potential. Something with different casts per arc would make many more have their time to shine.
---
#28 Posted: 18:56:13 16/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyro2015

The problem is that those have a very set in stone (minus the sixth ranger of the day)cast and are very arc heavy, filler aside. With 100+ Skylanders with defined personalities, throwing that out for up to 10 we'll have to see all the time would feel cheap and waste potential. Something with different casts per arc would make many more have their time to shine.

I was thinking about that since we have eight attributes, 8 portal masters. One of them will join the 7 main portal masters later.
#29 Posted: 19:13:06 16/07/2015
Ten, we have Light and Dark now. It's still too limiting,now you'd be adding 8 human characters when the normal games have NPCs as it is. Not to mention people would be definately calling it a Digimon ripoff at that point, and it makes little sense in canon to have 8 PMs doing...Well, anything, when the Skylanders act on their own accord in the canon. Portal Masters are more like mission control, not chosen ones to unlock the hidden powers of someone or similar.
---
#30 Posted: 00:39:12 17/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Ten, we have Light and Dark now. It's still too limiting,now you'd be adding 8 human characters when the normal games have NPCs as it is. Not to mention people would be definately calling it a Digimon ripoff at that point, and it makes little sense in canon to have 8 PMs doing...Well, anything, when the Skylanders act on their own accord in the canon. Portal Masters are more like mission control, not chosen ones to unlock the hidden powers of someone or similar.

Characters:
- Protagonists – Skylanders and their Portal Masters:
Humans:
(Season 1 Portal Masters – Year of the Dragon)
Magic Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Spyro
Undead Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Cynder
Water Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Gill Grunt
- Dragon Partner: Zap
Life-Force Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Stealth Elf
- Dragon Partner: Camo
Tech Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Trigger Happy
- Dragon Partner: Drobot
Fire Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Eruptor
- Dragon Partner: Sunburn
Earth Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Terrafin
- Dragon Partner: Bash
- SWAP Force Partner: Doom Stone
Air Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Sonic Boom
- Dragon Partner: Whirlwind

(Season 2 – Giants)
Magic Portal Master
- Giant Partner: Ninjini
2nd Magic Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Pop Fizz
Undead Portal Master
- Giant Partner: Eye-Brawl
Tech Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Drobot
- Giant Partner: Bouncer
Water Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Slam Bam
- Giant Partner: Thumpback
2nd Earth Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Flashwing
- Giant Partner: Crusher
2nd Life-Force Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Shroomboom
- Giant Partner: Treerex
2nd Fire Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Hot Dog
- Giant Partner: Hot Head
2nd Air Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Jet-Vac
- Giant Partner: Swarm

(Season 3 – Swap Force)
3rd Magic Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Star Strike
- SWAP Force Partner: Hoot Loop
3rd Fire Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Fryno
- SWAP Force Partner: Blast Zone
2nd Water Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Rip Tide
- SWAP Force Partner: Wash Buckler
2nd Undead Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Roller Brawl
- SWAP Force Partner: Night Shift
2nd Life-Force Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Zoo Lou
- SWAP Force Partner: Stink Bomb
2nd Tech Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Countdown
- SWAP Force Partner: Magna Charge
3rd Earth Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Slobber Tooth
- SWAP Force Partner: Rubble Rouser
3rd Air Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Scratch
- SWAP Force Partner: Free Ranger

1st Magic Portal Master
- SWAP Force Partner: Trap Shadow
1st Undead Portal Master
- SWAP Force Partner: Rattle Shake
1st Earth Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Bash
1st Water Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Zap
- SWAP Force Partner: Freeze Blade
1st Life-Force Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Camo
- SWAP Force Partner: Grilla Drilla
1st Air Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Whirlwind
- SWAP Force Partner: Boom Jet
2nd Fire Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Hot Dog
- SWAP Force Partner: Fire Kraken

(Season 4 – Trap Team)
3rd Water Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Echo
- Trap Master Partner: Snap Shot
4th Fire Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Trailblazer
- Trap Master Partner: Wildfire
3rd Tech Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Chopper
- Trap Master Partner: Jawbreaker
3rd Life-Force Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Food Fight & High Five
- Trap Master Partner: Tuff Luck
4th Magic Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Cobra Cadabra
- Trap Master Partner: Blastermind
3rd Undead Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Funny Bone
- Trap Master Partner: Krypt King
4th Earth Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Fist Bump
- Trap Master Partner: Wallop
4th Air Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Blades
- Trap Master Partner: Fling Kong
Light Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Spotlight
- Trap Master Partner: Knight Light
Dark Portal Master
- Skylander Partner: Blackout
- Trap Master Partner: Knight Mare

Secondary Characters:
Master Eon

Antagonists – Doom Raiders:
Kaos
Glumshanks
Wolfgang – Undead
Chef Pepper Jack – Fire
Pain-Yatta – Magic
Dr. Krankkase – Tech
Dreamcatcher – Air
The Gulper – Water
Chompy Mage – Life-Force
Golden Queen – Earth
Luminous – Light
Nightshade – Dark

(Think of the Doom Raiders as Monster Rancher's "Big Bad Four")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8T78t9iRjs

Seeing this gave me the wish for Skylanders to have their own TV series.

The chosen Portal Masters in our world will think at first just a game, but it'll turn out to be real when they tried the portal. And we'd end up traveling to their world.

Guess no one is interested.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 20:23:42 24/07/2015 by JCW555
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#31 Posted: 16:12:09 23/07/2015
The last thing I would want in a Skylanders show is a bunch of human Portal Master characters running around. I can't see them being anything other than annoying and useless, as human tagalong characters almost always are in these kinds of shows. Skylanders aren't a bunch of dumb monsters that need humans shouting orders at them all the time, so it makes sense to keep the Portal Masters on the sidelines.

I think they should have a consistent core cast of Skylanders (like maybe Spyro, Stealth Elf, Hex, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy) and a rotating extended cast as the core cast travels throughout Skylands with Flynn.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:14:44 23/07/2015 by Muffin Man
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me