Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
I may be done with buying Skylanders [CLOSED]
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#1 Posted: 16:02:56 15/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I wasn't sure where to post this, but here it goes. I'm actually a bit saddened to post this, as my son and I have had fun playing and collecting Skylanders over the past couple of years. I've enjoyed coming on these boards and finding a bit of a community, so I probably still stick around and keep up with things. I can't say, for sure, that I'm done, but I'm not sure we will be moving on to Super Chargers, for now. For SSA and Giants, we tried to collect every thing we could. For Swap Force, we tried to get all the swappers and finally picked up the last one a few weeks ago (after not buying any more once Trap Team came out). With Trap Team, we only picked up the trap masters we liked, and a few cores that we wanted. There are still a few cores that my son wants, but I think he has already given up, though this was before he knew about Super Chargers.

Much of the decision is because of Lego Dimensions. My wife already hates seeing all the Skylanders around the house. When we got Trap Team, all the previous figures got stored away because my wife hated seeing them cluttering up the living room. My son was mainly focused on playing with the new ones, anyway. We are all excited about Lego Dimensions, so she thinks we should focus solely on it. I'm waiting to see how the gameplay will be, but, so far it looks pretty good. It has different characters that we all love. Plus my son is really big into Legos, right now, so this would be like getting two in one when we buy a new Lego Dimensions figure/set. Hype for that game has had time to build in my house, while Activision waited to show us anything for the new Skylanders game. When it was finally announced, my son was visiting grandparents, and my wife told me not to show it to him. When I was cleaning up his Skylanders (that his 4-year-old sister decided to get out), I asked him if we were buying any more Skylanders. He said, "no". He said there were still a few he wanted, but he's focused on Lego Dimensions. He did see the pre-order for Super Chargers at GameStop and got excited about it, though. We may eventually pick up Super Chargers, but it looks like Christmas will be focused on Lego Dimensions. I know my wife said he could get Skylanders for his birthday in May. But I also know it's hard to get many of the earlier wave figures after Christmas. Plus sales aren't as good as Black Friday. So those frustrations may lead us to not get back into it. We'll see, though.

I'll still be around, but wanted to throw out how things are leaning in my household. I know many of you are excited about the new Skylanders game, and some aren't. For us, it's not really about how great the new game will or will not be. It's really about economics with competition that actually interests us. What about the rest of you? How do you see your future Skylanders purchases? Are you looking at another franchise (i.e. Lego)? If so, will you still collect all the new Skylanders? Will you limit the Skylanders/vehicles you buy? Or are you completely out of it, altogether?
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#2 Posted: 16:50:56 15/06/2015
Sorry to see you go...for me I'm still going to keep collecting everything I can...Lego looks good but just like all other figure based games Skylanders has that WOW factor for me ...the main thing for me is the Chase figures....some hate them...I love the fact I have something not everyone has...like employees figures...and I don't try to get everyone all at once I look for deals...(still have 7 figures for a full collection) gives me something to look forward to when I have extra money ( honestly if they stopped chase figures ...I would stop collecting...that's why I got sacred with trap team only three chase figures...but the rarity of some traps made up for that in my mind)...another thing I like is the fact I don't know the background of every figure...(like Mario.. Or incredible Hulk) you have to play the character to know what he or she dose....but that's me...
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#3 Posted: 17:57:39 15/06/2015
To be honest Lego Dimensions looks like an amazing game, but that price point for just the game. That's are my biggest gripe towards the game.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:31:14 15/06/2015 by GhostRoaster617
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 17:58:28 15/06/2015
Well, always do it at your own pace if you still have doubts about getting the game or not. It's not going anywhere even when Lego Dimensions comes out, and you can just get who you like yourself to play as if your son isn't interested anymore. There's also always Black Friday if the price really is an issue, or even Digital Owners' Pack.

I've never collected to begin with so this game won't be much of a change, but even if it manages to impress me, I'll be slow about it. Money's short as usual and this time I'm trying to also save up for a new console - if I need to get that skylander I really want next year instead of during launch,so be it. And really just who I truly want - the three vehicles that catch my eye,some character with really fun gameplay,etc. And if the money gets really in the way no matter what,I don't need 100% to enjoy the game, I'll just do like Trap Team and ignore the collection stars.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:59:00 15/06/2015 by Bifrost
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#5 Posted: 21:22:18 15/06/2015
#NewWife lol i keed i keed
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#6 Posted: 21:28:09 15/06/2015
#newwife.....lol...I thought that just didn't write it...lol
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#7 Posted: 00:21:49 16/06/2015
Well probably going to do some Disney Infinity 2.0 after Trap Team which i have yet to start. I still believe Skylanders are tops but DI Princess figures makes a nice change .

Not sure if i am buying SSC , probably but thats way into the far future for me .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#8 Posted: 00:53:02 16/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Well. It's not just my wife. She's just the deciding factor. We can barely keep up with affording Skylanders. Not less keeping up with two games. We usually leave it up to Christmas and my son's birthday to get the majority. Although we've now started giving him an allowance. Then there's also the space issue. We just don't have the space to properly display or have them in the living room where the console is. So they get stored away. My son is into buying Legos, and we already have several cases for collecting Legos that we've picked up along the way marked down or in yard sales. So we already have a solution to the storage problem. I don't even have time to play games, as it is, so I'm not going to be buying Skylanders just for myself. As for the price, I'm hoping there will be Black Friday prices just like the other toys-to-life games. It's one thing I'm concerned about with Skylanders is that we'll only be able to afford one game come Black Friday, so I'll have to choose one.

I'll agree that one thing that has made Skylanders fun is hunting down variants and hard to find characters. It became more fun to look for them. If they were all easy to find, then it probably wouldn't have been as fun. Then again, not being able to just go and get whatever I want and having to get them when I find them, can be frustrating when you're low on money.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#9 Posted: 02:12:01 16/06/2015
it gets to be tough year after year and there's going to be more not going into it. im not really doing any day one purchase of superchargers either. since i mostly got for siblings, etc and then my collection. it's just too much every year to put into a game that the quality is starting to drop. giants was a high point to play through, swap force isn't bad, but i've watched some play throughs of trap team...that one will be rough to play through. its not worth as much of an investment anymore and theres a plethora of games to play. cant simply invest so much money into something im not really using thats taking up space. I agree on the hunt sometimes fun but low on funds make it frustrating.

Just not a fan of the direction they keep taking with more focus on the toys than the actual games. Each installment is not worth 300 + for one game year after year.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
#10 Posted: 11:18:19 16/06/2015
I think we have more than enough supported them if we have a 100 something toys and multiple games . I must have 20 or 30 skylanders from the the previous games that i have yet to max level or buy all their skills . Gonna do that in Trap Team but of course TT has a whole new set of toys .

No other console game has ever taken so much of my attention , time , seas of gold and of course cookie jar space as the Skylander franchise . No reason for any feelings of guilt about exercising free will and choosing to play another game . smilie
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#11 Posted: 20:25:39 16/06/2015
things is just getting out of hand now with amiibo mixed into the skylanders. so i am just glad i decided to opt-out of this year game. super chargers is not skylanders as i see it, this is just something different. the whole lore is out the window now with donkey kong arriving too. if not tfb deliver a more skylanderish game next year im done for good.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#12 Posted: 21:00:25 16/06/2015
As I've always said to those who feel the need to publicly voice their opinions on quitting Skylanders, it can never hurt to buy a starter pack when it reaches the deep discount prices of $20 or less...you do have an amazing roster of old Skylanders that are compatible with the game. If you don't have the self restraint to purchase the bare minimum amount of Skylanders merchandise and be happy using your older figures, maybe it is time to quit cold turkey and move on.

Count Moneybone...about the Amiibo comment...I consider Amiibo a temporary US craze which will be dead in less than a year. I just got back from a Scandinavian cruise and saw that countries like Demark, Finland, Sweden, and Norway don't even care to stock Amiibo in stores in major cities while Skylanders and Disney Infinity are seeing shelf space. The only place on my cruise where I saw Amiibo stocked in stores were in northern Germany and even the selection there was underwhelming compared to Skylanders. I went to a GameStop in Norway and they wanted nothing to do with Amiibo, but had Skylanders Giants figures like Jade Flashwing and single Jet Vac in stock in addition to Trap Team and Swap Force figures.
#13 Posted: 22:36:17 16/06/2015
the thing with skylanders is that you must be in at the beginning, and you cant cherry pick. its buy them when you see them or next time you maybe not end up getting them at all. that is how it is for the figurines, i have been through four games now, so that is what i have learned.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:37:14 16/06/2015 by CountMoneyBone
#14 Posted: 22:41:32 16/06/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
the thing with skylanders is that you must be in at the beginning, and you cant cherry pick. its buy them when you see them or next time you maybe not end up getting them at all. that is how it is for the figurines, i have been through four games now, so that is what i have learned.

Ebay. Used section of a game store. No one is forcing you to buy things instantly. Sales exist.
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#15 Posted: 02:21:32 17/06/2015
things is just getting out of hand now with amiibo mixed into the skylanders. so i am just glad i decided to opt-out of this year game. super chargers is not skylanders as i see it, this is just something different. the whole lore is out the window now with donkey kong arriving too. if not tfb deliver a more skylanderish game next year im done for good.

I think they will.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#16 Posted: 09:38:36 17/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost

Ebay. Used section of a game store. No one is forcing you to buy things instantly. Sales exist.

ebay aint an option and sales always comes when half is sold out...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#17 Posted: 12:05:34 17/06/2015 | Topic Creator

Yes, you can buy on eBay, but at inflated costs, especially if the figure(s) were hard to find. You can be lucky if you have a used game store. I used to get a few from a local game store until they closed. But for some of the figures, they aren't easy to find. Much of wave 1 of Trap Team is impossible to find, used or otherwise. You never know what prices you'll find on eBay.

I'm not really complaining about the new game. I'm actually curious to play it, but I'm just stating that I may be done, for now. It will be hard for me to see the new Skylander toys and not get them, especially as I watch the earlier waves disappear from the shelves. But we just won't be able to afford both. I know we can still play with the older characters, but you won't be able to fully complete the game, and part of the fun is getting the new figures. If we eventually picked up the game (which we still may, eventually), we would want the new characters/vehicles. But if the ones we want are hard to find, that will be very frustrating.
#18 Posted: 14:17:24 17/06/2015
Which is my point - you have time. Only jerks are going to yell at you for not getting the game in release. When you can afford and when you feel like it, go for it. If you don't, no one's forcing you to collect, and there's always a sale if the money is short. Way too many people here act like their life depends on completing the entire lineup plus variants asap.
---
Spyro7850 Gold Sparx Gems: 2656
#19 Posted: 17:17:12 17/06/2015
LEGO Dimensions runs on the same engine as every other LEGO game. However you've felt about those games, you'll feel about this one.
---
#1 Roller Brawl fan
"Ness, you'll always be the best character in Smash."
-Brawl in the Family, Comic #599
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#20 Posted: 17:19:26 17/06/2015
Which is my point - you have time. Only jerks are going to yell at you for not getting the game in release. When you can afford and when you feel like it, go for it. If you don't, no one's forcing you to collect, and there's always a sale if the money is short. Way too many people here act like their life depends on completing the entire lineup plus variants asap.

I agree with this...some people have an all or nothing attitude with Skylanders and no in between. All it takes is some self restraint and you can achieve a middle ground to enjoy a new Skylanders game without breaking the bank. Even if you're losing interest in Skylanders or moving onto Lego/something else, confirming it by buying a starter pack on deep discount is better than having a whiny "I'm quitting" attitude. If that's how you're going to go out on the franchise, were you really a true fan to begin with or just an addicted hoarder? It's funny...many of the people who talk about leaving are the same ones who rush in collecting everything gung-ho on release date without any regards for sales or how much money is being plopped down at once...then the "is it worth it" sense of regret creeps in much later after finishing the game and exploring all there is to explore (the great cost vs content debate).
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#21 Posted: 10:21:26 18/06/2015
I sticking with skylanders all the way but buying a lot less figures. We now have a car loan to pay off. Sad to see you go matey.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#22 Posted: 13:42:21 18/06/2015
Yep, gotta do what's right. Too much money to spend not to enjoy it. I'm intrigued with Lego Dimensions as well, but I'm not a Lego nut. The idea I can reconfigure my vehicle and it knows it is pretty darn awesome--much better than just one static vehicle we got in SuperChargers...it would'v e been much cooler if you could apply PHYSICAL MODS to the vehicle and have the game recognize it, but that's not what we got.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:42:40 18/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#23 Posted: 14:55:06 18/06/2015
To be fair, it'd be a storing nightmare for parents if we could buy individual mods - imagine the small wheels or detachable sub undersides. Doesn't help they'd probably come in blind bags. Much happier with just spending the money to customize them myself.
---
turtle20000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1370
#24 Posted: 00:27:08 30/06/2015
I'm with you this being it. Sick of all the shortages of characters and now traps. It's a scalpers dream and a gamers nightmare. It's overkill on the characters and not enough game play for all of them. I feel that Activision is fully taking advantage of our loyalty to the game by releasing way more figures then is nessissary. I'd be nice if they made more games for the characters that are released, but like I said before, they take advantage of our loyalty. As I write this I'm still trying to get the last few figures and traps, even though this is it. We're going to try out Lego Dimensions and see how that goes. At least they have games on top of the main game that you can buy. It's been fun, but sick of seeing scalpers at toysrus with shopping carts full of the hard to find ones. That's what great now, we all have many choices and Skylanders started it all. But all good things must come to a end. I hope all of you that continue have fun and I'm sure I'll still check out this forum from time to time. Wishful thinking is that someday they'll make just games and or new levels for the ones we already have.
#25 Posted: 03:31:06 30/06/2015
To be fair, it'd be a storing nightmare for parents if we could buy individual mods - imagine the small wheels or detachable sub undersides. Doesn't help they'd probably come in blind bags. Much happier with just spending the money to customize them myself.

Yeah, it was bad enough for Swap Force...Lego is synonymous with lots of pieces being lost. The Lego movie got it right--you have to be an adult to do some of the things/sets they sell.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#26 Posted: 05:22:01 30/06/2015
This is why I stopped buying Skylanders before Trap Team came out. I sat down to play Giants and then looked at all the toys on the floor, taking up almost the entire living room of that small apartment. The dog and cats couldn't navigate the mess and I couldn't easily find any of the Skylanders I wanted to use. So, fun as it all was, I bundled up everything but my favorite figures and gave them to my friend's kids. They, at least, have a big house and are used to tiny toys all over the place. :D
#27 Posted: 15:02:12 30/06/2015
300 figures. 4 games. Let that sink in. If you've bought every one there's a ton of space and money. Trust me, I know on both accounts. smilie
#28 Posted: 15:59:42 30/06/2015
I am gonna try to slow down on Trap Team . I hope .....
---
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#29 Posted: 01:48:09 01/07/2015
Here's the breakdown for Lego Dimensions, according to my latest issue of Game Informer:

Starter pack: $99.99
Everything else: $14.99 to $29.99 each

There are 14 licensed themes involved: Lego Chima and Ninjago, Scooby Doo, DC Comics, Ghostbusters, Portal 2, Lord of the Rings, Wizard of Oz, Back to the Future, Simpsons and Doctor Who, just to name some. But from what I've read from the article, you have to put them together. But the game play's similar to their regular games except you can have characters crossover from different franchises.
Honestly, I think Lego will be the biggest competition to Skylanders.
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:49:04 01/07/2015 by Insane01
#30 Posted: 02:01:56 01/07/2015
On the surface, there appears to be a TON of content (and a lot to buy at a premium price point), the ability to be creative with who goes where (like skylanders) and you can build the vehicles to match one of three configurations. I agree, it has the biggest opportunity to eat into Acti's market share. I personally think Infinity will be another meh year despite it being Star Wars (who needs to wow another generation as the 40 somethings like me just aren't feeling it).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:04:20 01/07/2015 by TakeYourLemons
sklndrmommy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1508
#31 Posted: 02:19:42 01/07/2015
We are backing out of Skylanders and going for Lego Dimensions. My son and I have had fun hunting characters since Giants. We still haven't finished Trap Team but continue to buy the characters. I just don't have the time or space to keep up with Skylanders and local shelves are full of old traps and characters but we still haven't found much of the later waves and traps. My husband and son are huge Lego fans so it can be their turn. Not saying we won't get Superchargers at all, just not joining in the hype.
---
Trying to keep an updated code trading list in my guestbook for Lost Islands.
Mommy to player JacksonTreeRex.
#32 Posted: 08:57:09 01/07/2015
My little brother bought the DI 2.0 toybox froom the PS store online 2 days ago . That will certainly distract resources and kill some Trap Team Money . I want Tinkerbell
---
#33 Posted: 15:11:36 01/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm really hoping for a good Black Friday sale on Lego Dimensions. That's usually when we pick up the new Skylanders game. As for the prices on the sets, I was hoping they'd be cheaper, but I'm not surprised. But the way we see it, my son likes getting Lego sets. So now those Lego sets will have more value being able to be playable in the game. I'm also hoping for sales on the sets, much like sales on Skylanders. I know Legos rarely go on sale, but I'm hoping this will be different and lean more towards the typical toys-to-life sales. With the variety of franchises, and them being able to cross over, it seems to be a fun fit. We're all Back to the Future and Doctor Who fans. I can't wait to have Doc Brown and The Doctor together. Add Ghostbusters and DC Comics (my son's into DC, even if the rest of us are more Marvel fans), then we have a winner in our house.

As I said, my son said he was pretty much done. Although now that he's seen SuperChargers, he's talking about it more. Plus getting some a couple of figures on Skylanders day at GameStop made him remember others he wanted. He's rarely played with the Skylanders he got for his birthday in May, though. But he's also been at his grandparents a lot for the summer (since we can't afford to put him in a daycare somewhere). He has the tablet edition of Trap Team, so since he got a couple of new figures over the weekend, he's decided to pull it out and play it while he's at the grandparents (although we forgot to download the full game and they don't have wi-fi for him to download new character content smilie ). So Skylanders is getting talked about more at our house, but we may wait until it gets really cheap and just hope we can pick up any figures we missed used. If it wasn't for the earlier waves disappearing after Christmas, I wouldn't be concerned about it. We always made sure to get it at it's cheapest price point on Black Friday, but with Lego Dimensions, we may be able to hold out until it goes on sale late in the life cycle of the game (much like Trap Team has had decent sales, recently, plus the Happy Meal coupon).
Boomer05 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#34 Posted: 20:34:39 01/07/2015
Good thing superchargers only has a few new characters
---
Kaos vs Bowser!! My life is complete.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#35 Posted: 05:57:38 04/07/2015
I admit, I was all about to dive headfirst into Lego Dimensions until Donkey Kong and Bowser pulled me back into Skylanders. LD looks to be a really awesome take on the toys-to-life model.

I don't understand the problem some people have been having with finding figures on ebay, though, as I've been able to find everything I need on ebay for very low prices. But then again, I've never been about buying every figure, nor do I have a problem waiting a while for them to become cheap (and I sure as hell never bother with rare variants). I buy my favorite figures from among what is required to unlock all the areas in the game (I don't even care about percentages or whatever, I just want access to all the actual gameplay) and a very small handful of extra figures if they are awesome enough to entice me.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#36 Posted: 08:34:41 04/07/2015
Ahh a Muffin Man with self control hey ? Oh dear oh dear oh dear . Well you took right step in joining us . Might i also recommend you install Lost Islands App game ?

Dont worry we will make you a toy addict in no time .
---
#37 Posted: 12:21:29 04/07/2015
Lost Islands didn't make me addicted to the figures but it definately influenced some choices, like sliiightly considering gimmicklanders and palette swaps over Cores because the 25% gold bonus is nifty. Not much need for that now that I have a nice number of those in every element,but last year definately.
---
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#38 Posted: 17:21:23 04/07/2015
Superchargers is just...ugh. All I'm interested in for this game is the actual gameplay. Other than that, I'm just getting the starter pack and a air and sea vehicle to go with it. Then, I'll probably just buy the 7 cores left from Trap Team that I don't have, and depending on how the 6th game is, I may or may not get some characters.
wickedrunt Yellow Sparx Gems: 1161
#39 Posted: 01:05:51 05/07/2015
If anyone here is very informed about skylanders thats not a admin I have some questions I need to ask could you pm me please.
SaraAB87 Green Sparx Gems: 271
#40 Posted: 15:46:21 09/07/2015
Gamestop sells pre-owned figures now, which should make it easy to eventually get everything needed.

Most figures go cheaper eventually.

I also have a Five below near me, and they get huge shipments of older skylanders. Since the dark pack is on sale right now at Target.com I have ordered it, if this game becomes too much of a money pit I will find a way around it, either by waiting for the needed figures to get cheaper or buying and selling on ebay, or buying and returning to the store (fortunately I haven't had to do this yet). I had a lot of success with buying and selling figures on ebay with Trap team, even with common figures going for very good prices. Since the figures were only needed to unlock gates, I simply used them to unlock the gates, wiped the figures then sold them on ebay. No one even knew they were used. I actually turned a small profit doing this, and I didn't mind doing it at all. I did keep the trap masters that I liked. This assumes of course the figures are playable through the packages this time. Since I started with Trap team early, I was able to sell in time for the holiday cash in season.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#41 Posted: 17:39:56 09/07/2015
Quote:
I had a lot of success with buying and selling figures on ebay with Trap team, even with common figures going for very good prices. Since the figures were only needed to unlock gates, I simply used them to unlock the gates, wiped the figures then sold them on ebay. No one even knew they were used. I actually turned a small profit doing this, and I didn't mind doing it at all

You probably won't get any grief from anyone since you sold them on ebay. Had you returned them to the store, and posted about it, then you would have heard about it. Some months ago, there was a LENGTHY discussion about returning "used" products to retailers.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me