darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > You know what would be a good worldbuilding tool? Flavor Text.
Page 1 of 1
You know what would be a good worldbuilding tool? Flavor Text.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#1 Posted: 17:15:19 12/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I've been thinking - there are tons of games out there which are just as brief with plot as Skylanders is,yet there's little need to look up the extra books and whatnot to know the lore in them. Then I noticed,most of these games don't have story scrolls, but a ton of flavor text.

With so few levels(or at least little space for collectibles), maybe it'd be better to add description to more things to give players a better feel of the world aside from just the scrolls; sure, the chances for plot holes become even greater then, but the connection people would have with Skylands and how it works would probably keep a lot of people interested - because if DS is any indication you mash skip every cutscene and then assume things based on the little you remember.

Without an inventory, though, it doesn't mean that they'd have to start adding things of the sort to have flavor text. We already have hats, enemies, and things to buy from Auric. We wouldn't need long sentences about how X was passed down from ancestors and the things it was used on - I mean things like "Wizard Hat(purple) - Worn by Magic users, not to be confused with the green Wizard Hat,worn by Life users". Those small details seem useless on their own, but with so many hats and other things around, it's a lot of lore that not even the Books of Elements have space for.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#2 Posted: 00:56:46 13/06/2015
Story scrolls were great for worldbuilding until it became all about Flynn.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#3 Posted: 01:11:43 13/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah,but 20 a game average still is just a really small insight on the world,it's 3 sentences at the most and usually about some existing level or concept.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me