Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Rise in Figure Quality [CLOSED]
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#1 Posted: 03:17:01 08/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I recently noticed that the figures have gotten a lot better over the years. Just look at this: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net...ro_S1_Figur.png, compared to this: http://mlb-s1-p.mlstatic.com/s...12_112013-O.jpg.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:55:41 08/06/2015 by Ryanator20x6
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#2 Posted: 03:24:27 08/06/2015
Ahhh. The car looks like a digital picture to me.
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#3 Posted: 03:57:05 08/06/2015 | Topic Creator
(Replaced with a better example)
The expression on his face got so much better.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 08:50:42 08/06/2015
Well, of course they're better than SSA figures, at that time they had no fan response or much of an idea of how to handle figures(kind of ironic considering the team name is Toys for Bob). A better comparison would be between Giants and TT ones - while they both had detail and a lot of personality to the poses, the latter got a better handle of having the figures actually look to the front mostly(looking at you SF, or better, you're not even looking back) and more details on the armor and the texture.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#5 Posted: 16:17:37 08/06/2015
Most of the STT's Flip Wreck have derpy eyes smilie
Still looking for a good paint app on him...the struggle is real. lol
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#6 Posted: 16:48:52 08/06/2015
I have to disagree. Looking at my S1 Spyro (first edition, back when they were at least claiming they were hand-painted), S2 Spyro, Maga-Ram Spyro and Spry (apologies, I put the thoughts in the order I saw them, so it's a bit messy):

S1 Spyro has a really pretty sheen on the main body. It sparkles slightly, but not in obtrusively. The crests, tail, horns and belly all have the same slight sparkle to them. The wings are the only part that looks like cheap plastic, and even then, they are very well-molded, with a realistic, wrinkly texture on both sides. The paint in general, although a bit worn, from a distance does not look like it bleeds. Only negatives are the fact that the claws and underside of the wings are not painted, and if you look very closely you can see that the purple bleeds slightly onto the head-crest, and that a few of the belly-scales aren't painted all the way.

S2 Spyro's main body looks like it is made up of cheap plastic. The wings look very nice, though, with slightly sparkly, metallic paint for the orange parts, and the same paint as S1 Spyro's main body on the purple part. The red wing-pieces look like cheap plastic, but the design of it and the fact that they are not very big allows this to be acceptable. All orange parts of the body have the same metallic-looking paint as the wings. The claws, again, are not colored in, although both sides of the wings are. The white and red parts of the eyes bleed into the surrounding eye-socket, the teeth are not all fully colored-in, and many of the crests are either not colored in fully, or bleed noticeably. The scales, possibly because of the lack of paint, look more shallow and more like plastic rather than actual scales. I will note that the sculpt is my favorite of the bunch though, as the sitting position is adorable.

Mega Ram Spyro's main body is made up of the same plastic as S2 Spyro's. All orange parts have the same metallic paint as S2 Spyro as well. The wings, this time, are made of purple plastic, though, and don't have that sparkle to them on the purple parts. This time, there is not only a noticeable bleed from the orange parts onto the main body (and some crests are not fully painted), there are a few tiny flecks of orange paint on the tail nowhere near the crests or belly. If you look really closely, you can see some of the orange paint has chipped off on the wings. Again, claws are not painted. One eye bleeds into its socket, while the other is perfect. The mouth looks slightly lopsided up close, with the red tongue having slightly missed and bleeding to his right, and not being fully covered on his left. Teeth look okay, although the bottom two bleed slightly, and one's paint has already flaked a bit. I will say that the scales look a lot less cheap then S2 Spyro, though.

Spry is tiny and has less features than the previous versions. The plastic and orange paint looks to be the same as S2 and Mega Ram. One eye bleeds slightly, but not noticeable unless you look up close. The crests, partly to blame of the sculpt, just look like blobs of paint, rather than an elongated spinal cord. The mold lacks belly scales completely aside from the front, instead having one long paint streak along the belly. There is a small amount of paint bleed on the wings, but given how tiny they are, it looks fairly significant up close. Mouth is colored just about perfectly (although the mouth is flat, so it's easier than the full-grown versions). Claws still aren't painted. Scales are big, but defined enough not to look cheap. One horn is not fully painted.

Don't have Eon's Elite Spyro (it just seems like a rip-off, Skylanders is easy enough already), but otherwise it seems in paint quality, S1 Spyro reigns supreme. The figure quality is still fairly high (although in general, Swap Force characters tended to look pretty cheap, look at Ninja Stealth Elf! She's barely colored at all!), but the paint jobs are getting worse it seems, from this sample. Another thing I didn't mention: S1 Spyro's face is a lot more detailed than any other version. He actually has eyelids, and his eyebrows are textured, unlike any of the others.

Again, not saying the others are bad, just that S1 characters (at least the early early ones from before the series got big) are higher quality.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#7 Posted: 18:48:57 08/06/2015
Figure design has improved.

Figure paint quality has decreased, significantly. Finding a "good" Flip Wreck took me looking through two full cases.

On could also argue that materials are also cheaper feeling now, like in Sproket S2 and Rocky Roll where they are light and hollow and there is some loose parts on some figures like Rocky Roll.
procrstntngdrgn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3613
#8 Posted: 19:11:49 08/06/2015
The paint jobs have become horrendous.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#9 Posted: 20:47:17 08/06/2015
Didn't see anyone complaining about Enigma, Short Cut, Thunderbolt,etc. When it's bad it's really bad,but when it's good it's pretty awesome. Seems to focus on certain waves too, instead of specific games.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:47:37 08/06/2015 by Bifrost
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#10 Posted: 20:52:45 08/06/2015
They seem to put more effort into their "premium" line (Trap Masters, Swap Force, Giants) than their cores, particularly in the later waves.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#11 Posted: 01:06:23 09/06/2015
Agreed i don't think they are better...some things are better..but like the others stated...the paint jobs have gotten very rushed an sloppy...not to mech'in many have been paint the wrong colors...as in they don't match the cards and the in-game figure.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#12 Posted: 08:21:50 09/06/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
Agreed i don't think they are better...some things are better..but like the others stated...the paint jobs have gotten very rushed an sloppy...not to mech'in many have been paint the wrong colors...as in they don't match the cards and the in-game figure.

The most glaring figure being Power Punch Pet-Vac. I was originally going to buy him, but when the paint job wasn't even close to in-game and card/artwork, I decided against it. Now I'm hoping to get Gnarly Barkley in stead.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#13 Posted: 08:33:17 15/06/2015
Quote: Nightmoon

The most glaring figure being Power Punch Pet-Vac. I was originally going to buy him, but when the paint job wasn't even close to in-game and card/artwork, I decided against it. Now I'm hoping to get Gnarly Barkley in stead.

Can we talk about Trail Blazer's figure's golden armor, while he has a black/grey one in-game?

I can stand his torch not being painted but really, how can you miss a detail so big...?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#14 Posted: 03:52:20 16/06/2015
Quote: Drek95
Quote: Nightmoon

Can we talk about Trail Blazer's figure's golden armor, while he has a black/grey one in-game?

I can stand his torch not being painted but really, how can you miss a detail so big...?

Agreed...i had to fix mine when i got it and saw how he looked in the game an how he looks on the Card... and said "are you kidding me?...his armor isn't gold what the hellabit...over"
[User Posted Image]
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#15 Posted: 07:47:15 16/06/2015
the paint job vary and depend on how much the chinese workers are overloaded with work. i think this year superchargers will have a good paint job, since there obvious will be a less demand this year. i can just hope you folks that get into this year skylanders can get your hands on the super charger you want. because there was more than enough trouble with trap team and shops availability of figurines last year.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#16 Posted: 11:34:33 16/06/2015
Quote:
Agreed...i had to fix mine

You had your horse fixed ? Aww thats just mean . smilie
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#17 Posted: 15:28:39 16/06/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Quote:
Agreed...i had to fix mine

You had your horse fixed ? Aww thats just mean . smilie

I ment the paint job silly smilie ....lol smilie I would never take away a mans pride an joy smilie ...thats something you woman do smilie *ducks* ...*runs* smilie
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me