Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Same Sex Marriage Set to Become Legal in Ireland (for real this time)
Page 1 of 1
Same Sex Marriage Set to Become Legal in Ireland (for real this time) [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#1 Posted: 15:04:03 23/05/2015 | Topic Creator
http://www.irishtimes.com/news...eland-1.2223646

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to register and vote (with a YES vote of course), but this is great news.

This will make Ireland the first country to legalise gay marriage due to popular vote.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#2 Posted: 15:10:01 23/05/2015
Coolio.
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#3 Posted: 16:22:43 23/05/2015
Fantastic news.
#4 Posted: 16:48:45 23/05/2015 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

-----
---
#5 Posted: 19:42:40 23/05/2015 | Topic Creator
http://www.independent.ie/iris...d-31238126.html

Sorry for the bump, but it's official - Ireland says a resounding YES to gay marriage!

While it hasn't taken effect just yet, the votes are in, so the appropriate bills will be passed.

Truly a historic day today, for the entire world.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#6 Posted: 22:53:17 23/05/2015
HOOORAAAAYYYYSIES FOOORR GAAAYYSIES!

As a bisexual Irish American, I am Proud!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#7 Posted: 00:37:32 24/05/2015
Wonderful news indeed! ~
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#8 Posted: 20:56:23 24/05/2015
Unfortunately, I live in a most seclusively rural area in Ireland with most people there being against it. My own dad says I can't be a Catholic if I support gay marriage. The local priest demonises the referendum, as if homosexuals will come and grab away children from families, while acting like he's the good guy.

Ireland has gone through some terrible things for a long time. Ireland under British rule, the great potato famine, the War for Independence, the Catholic Church being abusive towards women and children, patriarchy, domestic violence and The Troubles but THIS? Apparently progress is the worst thing to happen to Ireland. Becoming part of the European Union, the pound/punt becomes the euro and now homosexuals being allowed to marry under the eyes of God.

These are the same people who think Brendan O'Carrol's Mrs. Browne's Boys are funny. The fundamentalists that defined this country have been traitors to this country all along. The white between the green and gold represents peace.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#9 Posted: 22:43:26 24/05/2015
That's good to hear.
Robo-Spyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5869
#10 Posted: 14:32:40 25/05/2015
I think the next step ought to be making marriage a completely private affair that nobody has a role in officially defining.
---
no i will not write a signature for you
#11 Posted: 14:55:08 25/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Robo-Spyro
I think the next step ought to be making marriage a completely private affair that nobody has a role in officially defining.

There has to be some laws on marriage, or else an 80 year old rich man could literally buy a marriage to a 12 year old girl. Stuff like that was rampant in Ireland in the 1950's.
---
#12 Posted: 15:02:25 25/05/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Quote: Robo-Spyro

There has to be some laws on marriage, or else an 80 year old rich man could literally buy a marriage to a 12 year old girl. Stuff like that was rampant in Ireland in the 1950's.

Such a guy could say he's married that to that girl all he likes, but he wouldn't be able to make it mean anything in the legal sense, like anyone else, but him trying anything on her or forcing her into the relationship would be a different story.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:10:21 25/05/2015 by Robo-Spyro
#13 Posted: 15:19:39 25/05/2015 | Topic Creator
That's what I mean, in the 1950's, "match-making" was a rampant practice in Ireland - there were people who would arrange actual marriages for money, and these marriages were both legally recognised as OK and were given the church's blessing. This practice was abused and these match-makers would take a young girl from a poor family and marry them to a retired rich man, often times with the families consenting to it because they needed money, and they would basically guilt trip the young girls into doing it. This resulted in the girls often never seeing their families again, and becoming work & sex slaves. The men marrying these young girls were most often old, retired rich men, who would pay a large sum of money to both the family the girl comes from, and the match-maker.

There needs to be some laws dictating marriage, as it is a legal contract to begin with.
---
#14 Posted: 15:32:49 25/05/2015
You raise a good point, but we could still have laws in place to prevent such abuse without necessarily taking a stand on what marriage is. Even with marriage the way it is, kids can still be blackmailed into leaving their families with sex traffickers. That kind of thing isn't legally recognized now, and neither will it be legally recognized once marriage is made private. Basically, it'll just be a word people use for each other to define how they understand their relationship, like friendship. You don't have to sign any contracts to be someone's friend, and being their friend doesn't give you the right to abuse.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:28 25/05/2015 by Robo-Spyro
#15 Posted: 19:34:13 25/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Marriage has always been a legal thing though. That's how it started, and that's how it will always be. When marriage was first conceived, it wasn't even about love, that was just an element people personally added to it. Even today though, many marriages don't involve love. Marriage has always been merely a way to bind two different families together, so that finances are shared, legacies are carried on, etc.

If you and another person love each other very much, but don't see a need to get married, then you don't. Love is a superfluous element to marriage. Marriage has always been a legal mechanism first and foremost, though, and that's never going to change.
---
#16 Posted: 20:23:19 25/05/2015
Can't be certain of that, since many things we expect not to change eventually do. Values and social structure have made quite a shift since we first had marriage, but I do think it would be improbable for marriage to no longer be tied down to tradition, law and finance with the current system of family and economics in place, but that would be for another discussion, since we wouldn't want to get too off-topic, but I appreciate the time you gave to the conversation.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me