Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Excerpts from my 22-page, 7,278-word research paper
Page 1 of 1
Excerpts from my 22-page, 7,278-word research paper [CLOSED]
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#1 Posted: 00:34:51 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Thesis Statement:

F. Scott Fitzgerald captures the devastating perils of emotion, wealth, and carelessness in his novels, which portray the ethical decay of American society in a lost era of reckless abandon. The Great Gatsby, The Beautiful and Damned, and Tender is the Night display these themes, along with semi-autobiographical content that reflects Fitzgerald's frustration with his own life. His sheer emotional style and his manipulation of literary elements paint the portrait of this broken man and his broken dreams as he falls from a spurious grace.

Excerpt from Analysis of The Great Gatsby:Such an image of grandiosity grows from the sole defining aspect of Gatsby's character: his ardent, permanent love for Daisy. Gatsby “seek[s] to impose some kind of order on a cluttered universe. The meaning Gatsby sought . . . was Daisy; when the betrayal came, his dream disintegrated” (Burnam 110). The “cluttered universe” (110) refers to the ethically void East Egg, and its inhabitants from whom Gatsby draws a sharp distinction. To him, Daisy embodies wealth and status; that is to say, by his opinion of wealth, she embodies morality, divinity, and the concept of love itself. The “betrayal” (110) denotes her ultimate defection to Tom, who controls her with material wealth, leaving her oblivious and apathetic towards the emotional and spiritual wealth that Gatsby devotes to her. Immediately hereafter comes Gatsby's disintegration; figuratively as Tom asserts his superficial dominance, and literally as Gatsby dies, riddled with bullets, leaving behind a world in which he can no longer thrive. Gatsby's death comes naturally, for without Daisy, the epitome of eternal content and desire, his life has no purpose or direction.

Excerpt from Analysis of The Beautiful and Damned: The couple's primary error arises from their total lack of motivation, perpetuated by an ideological disdain for conventional society and a complacent sense of aristocratic sloth. Anthony possesses “a kind of moral greatness that contradicts the objective development of his adventure” (Perosa 42). However, only Anthony himself perceives this “moral greatness” (42); he sees it as justification for his lethargic leisure. His egotism generates from his ludicrously facile upbringing and education; he believes that because he possesses wealth without ever performing honest work, he represents the epitome of social transcendence. The fallacy lies in the fact that his luxury only comes from his grandfather's legacy, and his monumental self-esteem becomes ironic in the results of his refusal to seek steady work; the “objective development” (42), or lack thereof, refers to his financial disrepair and personal collapse, direct consequences of his complacency.

Excerpt from Analysis of Tender is the Night:Faithful to the motif of devolving mentality, their relationship sets Dick on the course for his own deterioration. Because of her cognitive hindrance and status as a patient, Dick must act as Nicole's doctor and father in addition to being her husband. Naturally, this hectic, troublesome marriage impacts Dick at his core, and his occasional resistance to her needs “costs him a difficult and not always successful effort of will” (Stanton 120). Both this concept and the fact that “[h]is nature and his love oppose his profession” (Stanton 120) portray Dick as a hopelessly stressed individual with a dwindling ethos; he exerts all of his personal and professional prowess into healing Nicole, despite the toll it takes upon his character. While this notion testifies to Dick's altruism (White 126), the duress that he endures renders his eventual dishonorable decision somewhat understandable.

Final paragraph of Conclusion:Ultimately, while these idiosyncratic tendencies set Fitzgerald apart from his contemporaries, they also sculpt him as a colossus of American literature and a human paragon of unbridled imagination. He uses depictions of the ardently impassioned dreams, falsely pristine prosperity, and decadent moral cataclysms of Western civilization to form his novels into social, emotional, and autobiographical commentaries that never fail to evoke a spiritual response. Despite the tragedies befallen, Fitzgerald’s works still seem to emit an aura of hopeful determination; they almost imply a “pining for the sublime elevation of art” (Curnutt 43). Fitzgerald’s works project a calling to readers; they shout a beckoning to embolden oneself and dive into the same world of ecstatic euphoria in which Anthony Patch, Dick Diver, and Jay Gatsby immerse themselves. Akin to the luminescent motivation that ceaselessly draws Gatsby to his forbidden love, Fitzgerald’s art sings to the hearts of passionate souls and inspires every reader to chase his own green lights.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:45:42 19/05/2015 by Metallo
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#2 Posted: 00:38:32 19/05/2015
why
__
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#3 Posted: 00:39:03 19/05/2015
cool, i can write long essays too
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
#4 Posted: 00:39:44 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Kitty
why
__

1) Because I'm bored
2) Because I'm insanely proud of it. I made a 100 on it, which is the first 100 that's ever been made on the assignment (and my teacher's been assigning it for 31 years)
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#5 Posted: 00:39:44 19/05/2015
nerd.
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#6 Posted: 00:41:13 19/05/2015
Good job.

See, this is the type of stuff I would want to write~
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#7 Posted: 00:42:02 19/05/2015
The Great Gatsby always was an interesting book when it comes to inspiring conversation and thought.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#8 Posted: 00:43:16 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: sonicbrawler182
The Great Gatsby always was an interesting book when it comes to inspiring conversation and thought.

Indeed. My section on Gatsby was the longest and I had twice as many sources for it as I did the other two. It's still my favorite book of all time.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#9 Posted: 01:01:47 19/05/2015
This is great dude. I wish I had the ability to write something this good. I'm just not good at writing.

Quote: Metallo
why
__

1) Because I'm bored
2) Because I'm insanely proud of it. I made a 100 on it, which is the first 100 that's ever been made on the assignment (and my teacher's been assigning it for 31 years)

Number 2 is pretty cool. It must of been amazing.
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#10 Posted: 01:16:24 19/05/2015
And I haven't even started the 1500 word University paper I have due in like 2 weeks...
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
#11 Posted: 02:11:07 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Wreckingball13
This is great dude. I wish I had the ability to write something this good. I'm just not good at writing.

why
__

1) Because I'm bored

Number 2 is pretty cool. It must of been amazing.

Thanks! And if you ever want any help just shoot me a PM.

Quote: Dragons-go-hrr
And I haven't even started the 1500 word University paper I have due in like 2 weeks...

Hey, this was done over the course of a month, and I wrote it at the snail's pace of a page a day. You can knock out that paper in no time :)
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#12 Posted: 02:13:07 19/05/2015
Quote: Dragons-go-hrr

You can belt that in a day if you know the subject matter well.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#13 Posted: 02:32:54 19/05/2015
The Great Gatsby is a weird book for me in that I don't really enjoy it just to read on my own terms. It's an example of a piece of art that really needs to be analysed, discussed, and debated over, for you to truly appreciate it. If you just read it passively as a way to pass the time, you don't really enjoy it, and it may come off as boring and mediocre at best. But it has a lot of hidden layers and depth, which is why it's such a popular choice for academic study.

The recent film adaptation is great for that passive enjoyment factor, and still retains much of the film's depth to boot anyway. It all truly came full circle in the end.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#14 Posted: 02:59:18 19/05/2015
Man, I remember taking International Literature and Sci-Fi Lit in high school and enjoying them because they weren't revolving around the stereotypical high school English books everyone in America has to read. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#15 Posted: 03:37:43 19/05/2015
[b] Naturally, this hectic, troublesome marriage impacts Dick at his core,

whats this about dick impact
#16 Posted: 05:19:30 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
Man, I remember taking International Literature and Sci-Fi Lit in high school and enjoying them because they weren't revolving around the stereotypical high school English books everyone in America has to read. <.<;

I know, but this is AP Literature and Composition, and I know how you feel about AP........

Quote: Big Green

Spoilered for those who haven't read the book:

Never once in the novel does it describe Dick having sex with Nicole (his wife). However, there ARE sex scenes between him and Rosemary (she's half his age) and between Nicole and Tommy Barban (a French mercenary - doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?) Of course, the sex scenes are never in vulgar detail, because Fitzgerald is much classier than that.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12148
#17 Posted: 05:27:47 19/05/2015
In my last year of high school I wrote two biological science research papers (1500 words each) and received 100% on both. Too bad I wasn't allowed to keep the marked report. v_v
#18 Posted: 06:13:14 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyro Fanatic
In my last year of high school I wrote two biological science research papers (1500 words each) and received 100% on both. Too bad I wasn't allowed to keep the marked report. v_v

Nice! And I'm not allowed to keep it either, I just have the graded rubric. This came from the file, which I still fortunately have on my computer
#19 Posted: 06:32:07 19/05/2015
Quote: HIR

I know, but this is AP Literature and Composition, and I know how you feel about AP........

Quote: Big Green

Dick having sex

haha, you said sex
Lstone Ripto Gems: 0
#20 Posted: 09:50:49 19/05/2015
big essays are just intimidation tatics
#21 Posted: 13:44:04 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Lstone
big essays are just intimidation tatics

This was like 5 Big Essay Rangers turning into the Big Essay MegaZord
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12148
#22 Posted: 13:58:24 19/05/2015
In my last year of high school I wrote two biological science research papers (1500 words each) and received 100% on both. Too bad I wasn't allowed to keep the marked report. smilie

Nice! And I'm not allowed to keep it either, I just have the graded rubric. This came from the file, which I still fortunately have on my computer

Thank you. Hah, I wasn't allowed to keep the rubric too! Apparently it was due to the possibility of next years students finding the answers since the science department kept the tests and assignments identical.
#23 Posted: 14:03:05 19/05/2015 | Topic Creator

Thank you. Hah, I wasn't allowed to keep the rubric too! Apparently it was due to the possibility of next years students finding the answers since the science department kept the tests and assignments identical.

Oh wow. See, our assignment in the first place was to choose a classic author and analyze three of his/her works, so there really were no "answers." Hell, my teacher even let us study some of the best ones from past students to see basically what we should do (weren't allowed to take them out of the room, though)
#24 Posted: 16:53:26 20/05/2015
Oh wow. anal

wow indeed
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me