Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > How Did You Get Started With Skylanders? Tell me your origin story!
Page 1 of 1
How Did You Get Started With Skylanders? Tell me your origin story! [CLOSED]
Pokypro Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#1 Posted: 06:31:12 22/04/2015 | Topic Creator
How did you get started with Skylanders? Did you start with from the beginning with Skylanders Spyro's Adventures or later with Trap Team? Here's my story in video form:

---
Skylanders Youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokypro)
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#2 Posted: 07:07:32 22/04/2015
When very first saw bash in the games section was curious of what the game was until I later noticed spyro was in he game but it all started with bash my very very first skylander.
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#3 Posted: 07:23:19 22/04/2015
I migrated here and saw the Spyro's Adventure ad, thought it was pretty good and just started playing the series
NinjaStealthElf Green Sparx Gems: 344
#4 Posted: 07:23:30 22/04/2015
I was watching some Skylanders videos from ''The Irate Gamer'' on YouTube and it looked so cool. Then I picked up SWAP Force. When I finished that, I loved it and thus I picked up Spyro's Adventure. Trap Team came out and that was the next logical step. I recently bought Giants smilie
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#5 Posted: 07:39:50 22/04/2015
I had just quit my job and had 3 months till I needed to do stuff for Skool again, so I went to go spend some money on video games/ DVDs .

Turns out spyros adventure was released that week so I saw the big advertisements in store.

I decided I'd go home and research it on my computer first . After googling a bit it Seemed kinda cool and I love elemental warriors.

TRavelled back to the shops and bought the starter pack. Went home and played it for like 2 hours.

I was really impressed with the game and I loved it. The characters were awesome and had so much personality and originality.

So I travelled straight back to the shops that same day again and bought all the figures I could lol.
I think I spent the next week travelling to all my local shopping centres to make sure I got every available charscter lol.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:42:02 22/04/2015 by wild_defender
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#6 Posted: 08:37:56 22/04/2015
It's actually an interesting story.

Back in 2010 if I remember correctly I went to a restaurant with my parents, a friend and his parents.
Moments before we left the restaurant he told me "Hey, did you hear of the new Spyro game with figures?"

I looked at him in complete astonishment.
"Not at all... A new Spyro game, you say...?"

"Yes. Well it has Spyro in it as a playable character but he is not the only ones.
There are this cool looking figures of various fantasy creatures and you can place them on a base connected to the console and play as them.
If I remember correctly they also remember the upgrades and the experience you collect.
It's actually a really interesting game and you may like it since you are so much into Spyro and figures collections"

He had already got me at "Spyro" since I have been a fan of the purple pest since his debut on the PlayStation.
But an entire and BIG cast of playable characters...?
UPGRADABLE...?!

So when I went home that night I starter looking for the game (my friend didn't remember the name) and found the first trailer, the one with AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" as the soundtrack.
It immediately got me.

So I started to keep an eye on the game and one day when my mum picked me up after school she opened the car's trunk to reveal the SA's Starter Pack.
I almost screamed with joy!

I came home and immediately placed Spyro on the Portal... And knew I would have NEVER came back. smilie

I even remember my first Skylanders after Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt and Spyro: the Eruptor, Bash and
Chop Chop Triple Pack.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:37:04 22/04/2015 by Drek95
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#7 Posted: 09:31:13 22/04/2015
for me i knew of skylanders but never really gave it much thought until i got a QA job at activision testing call of duty : advanced warfare. It being activitsion alot of the cubicles had skylanders figured everywhere so i saw them every day. At one point we had to do some emergency testing on skylanders trap team. I wanted to be on that to try out the game but i got stuck on call of duty. But i was able to see some of the game play and some of the figures. One person was charged with getting 100% in the game to make sure everything unlocked, so im thinking they may of had dark and light figures back in October, im not sure i didnt get a chance to hang out over there much. After that i knew i wanted the game so i ordered it from the activision store, got the starter kit about a month after the game came out for 30 dollars.

funny story. during this time Desinty just came out and everyone was talking about that game, they had 2 tv's set up doing some quick testing. one had destiny and the other had swapforce. no one was looking at destiny, everyone was gathered around the swapforce tv lol.
Pokypro Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#8 Posted: 10:08:20 22/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Wow these stories are awesome!!! So good to hear how everyone else got started!
---
Skylanders Youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokypro)
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#9 Posted: 11:09:36 22/04/2015
*clears throat,makes dramatic turn to the wind*
I remember that day.
The flamewar. The whining. The screaming. The fighting.
Spyro's new game was revealed. The model was early but Acti didin't care. The trailer was out. That fateful picture was out.
Mostly everyone hated it, DarkSpyro was on fire. If you liked it,you were a heretic that accepted dumb things and not a true fan. Suicide and death threats were "just a way of venting".
But I liked it, I stayed liking it. Though it was still during my time of lurking, I saw people like Aura stand their ground and tell people to give it a chance. And when I had the money and the time to spare, I gave the reboot a chance - and loved it, like I turned back into a joyful kid that first time I put the figures in the portal and saw them activate ingame.

tl;dr - Been Spyro fan for a long time, didn't allow the mass riot against Skylanders to turn me away from the game.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Garygoh884 Gold Sparx Gems: 2854
#10 Posted: 12:18:35 22/04/2015
My interest in Skylanders sprang due to my recurring interest of elves. Seeing the figures of elves on the shelves of the nearby game store - a blindfolded fire archer; a ninja elf; and a dark sorceress - these makes need to toss out my main interest on yordles from League of Legends (I was often negatively called in probability during matches), and Skylanders would be my replacement. My childhood favourite Spyro... I played as him from two games: Spyro: Year of the Dragon; and Spyro: A Hero's Tail... that was about 9 years and 5 years ago respectively since I deeply became interested with Skylanders.

Over the years, not only the elves and that dragon were my all-time favourite but more characters. Yes, Most of them can be generally more than half from SWAP Force, fewer than half from Spyro's Adventure and Giants, but probablynone from Trap Team. Below are the faces that I favor for now, as long as this franchise going the right way.

smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie

And lastly, I'm always in favour in seeing art, not only from cheaply kids' style, but more expensive and complex.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#11 Posted: 13:21:49 22/04/2015
I have always love the concept of games where multilpe characters each with it's own unique skills went throught the same world. One could argue that pokemon could have fill this need, but the fact is I also love action-platforming games and the former was an turn base rpg. Apart from that, I needed to love some of the characters that would made it into the game, and this is were Spyro played a role. To be honest I had to wait until knight light came out to really have another (or even more) great character, but that, plus the other semi good characters, are enough for now.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#12 Posted: 16:18:38 22/04/2015
My gf and I were at Toys R Us looking to grab some new Pokémon cards where we were also in the electronics. She saw the game and we were fascinated by it. No one told us about it, so we saw the tots to life thing all over the box and thought it was pretty cool. But she wasn't sure us she wanted to spend $75 on the starter kit. But she did because it had Spyro and she loved the older Spyro games. I eventually told her "Look, you love the character already. It's a cool idea. We have extraone to spend, so why not enjoy yourself for once." And so she got it. When we got home she opened it and started playing it and instantly fell in love. I didn't care all that much at first, but then I'd always see her playing, and the more I'd see the story and the toy switching and stuff I started to want some of mine own. So back to Toys R Us we go, a few days later mind you. I started with the Empire of Ice pack and Drobot, and while we were there she got Sonic Boom and Bash. Since then we get it every year, and I don't regret it one bit.
TJRedeemer Blue Sparx Gems: 596
#13 Posted: 17:25:13 22/04/2015
Since the beginning I have always been intrigued in it. Both reasons being the revival of Spyro and the Toys to Life concept itself. However, due to what people were saying I simply shrugged it off for years as a kids toy, and moved on.

Around Easter time however, me and my dad were out at Best Buy looking for a Blu-ray player. He was feeling generous, so he decided to let me get something as an Easter present as well. While I was browsing for amiibo I noticed that Trap Team was on sale. Not wanting to miss this opportunity, I had dad buy it for me.

While playing I was a little skeptical at first, but the more I played it the more I fell in love with it, and I found myself a week later going back to Best Buy to buy some traps, and the week after that to buy Drobit and Short Cut.
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#14 Posted: 18:11:54 22/04/2015
I was working at Toys R Us when Spyro's Adventure came out and I really thought it was going to be a passing fad, so I learned enough about it to talk to guests about it, but dismissed it as something to invest in. Then when Giants was announced, I realized this was a proper franchise and not a simple one-off game so I bought the game, liked it okay, but my girlfriend at the time was fascinated by it. So I ended up buying the entire SSA roster over a couple weeks and eagerly awaited Giants. The rest is history.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#15 Posted: 20:09:43 22/04/2015
Been with Skylanders since the beginning. My family happened to be in TRU when Skylanders was first demo'd to boost consumer interest. Kids thought it was neat, but I wasn't sure if I would be buying it. I bought it when TRU had a deal to receive the 3-figure Legendary pack free with a Starter kit. That was probably about a month after launch.
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#16 Posted: 20:18:51 22/04/2015
I was looking at the video games at target and saw skylanders so I put it on my christmas list.Got the game and a few figures then the skylanders were gone from the stores.So when I found them I picked them up and Thats how I got hooked in skylanders
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#17 Posted: 12:27:25 23/04/2015
It must've been January of 2013
I had a few gift cards to use on a new game. I was with my father, we had walked past the "money trap" Skylander section plenty o' times before. But for the first time we considered getting Skylanders Giants. Considering it was the only good Wii U game that wasn't sold out at that store, we took a chance and bought it.
Now have all 4 games and one version of every Skylander from the first 3 games. That game was so fresh.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:28:04 23/04/2015 by Blink182Bouncer
CookieCutter Green Sparx Gems: 295
#18 Posted: 17:40:47 23/04/2015
I learned about Spyro from the demo on a game my sister had. (Banjo Kazooie, if I recall correctly). Back then, she was dating a gamer and he had bought BK for her to play. I found a Playstation (the original) for a hundred bucks, and Spyro 1,2, and 3 for cheap. I played the crap outta Spyro. He's a great little dragon.

I found DARKSPYRO in a search for tips on how to get Tree Tops completed. That is one tough level! Now and then, I would revisit the site to see if there was anything new. Finally, Spyro was coming back! Oh, Joy! And with toys! Yay! I'll have my very own Spyro!! I'll hug him, and squeeze him, and name him, well, he's just Spyro.

As so often happens, life got in the way. Buying a house sucks up a LOT of your spare cash.
I would have to buy a game console (Skylanders just won't work with an old Playstation), plus the game, and of course, all the critters. I'm a collector at heart, so I knew I'd end up spending way too much money. I resisted the urge to buy for a couple of years, until shortly before Swap Force came out.

Luckily, my dad decided to get rid of his Wii. (that sentence sounds really funny out loud) The grandkids weren't playing it anymore. I found SSA on sale and bogarted the Wii. Bought Cynder that day, too, 'cause she's a dragon. Since then, I've tried (really) to not buy every critter the second it comes out.

It's not an addiction.
I don't have them ALL...
I can stop anytime I want.
I just don't want to.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#19 Posted: 21:30:06 23/04/2015
My story isn't so interesting. I was at Walmart one day and walked by a Skylanders Giants display in the center isle. I immediately noticed Chill and I wondered what the heck this is all about...a video game and action figures? That is like mixing chocolate and peanut butter! (I doubt anyone else here is old enough to remember these commericals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLDF6qZUX0)

I'm a fan of anime/cartoons and Chill is very much cartoony. And I do like collecting action figures too (I sell them on ebay). So I went home and checked online about what this Skylanders was all about. I discovered that it was a lot like Gauntlet Legends, which is an absolute favorite of all time video game of mine, so I was immediately hooked.

I waited for a midnight Black Friday sale at Best Buy and I got a Spyro's Adventure Hex and a Stealth Elf for $2.99 each before I even got the game! Waiting for over an hour in the freezing cold to get them too. I was so silly back then, but I really wanted them! A former boyfriend of mine gave me the Giants set as a Christmas gift.

Little did I know about needing one of every element to unlock gates and the such. That pissed me off for a couple weeks as I detest being locked out of content, so I got hooked into buying more figures to "jailbreak" my game. Eventually I bought used collections from ebay as it was cheaper that way.

Amusingly Hex was my first character used and I almost beat the entire Giants game with her as I refused to use anyone else but her. She was that cool to me! I then discovered that she totally sucks compared to the much faster and stronger Stealth Elf.

Luckily Skylanders is basically more of the same year after you, so they keep me hooked and coming back for more, but these days I only buy what I absolutely like rather than needed one of everything. Having an army of some 150 or so now and I only use about a dozen is sorta foolish, you know? So every year I buy what I need to to unlock content, buy ones I like to display (the ladies mostly) and I ignore the rest.
---
Stay Cool!
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#20 Posted: 00:47:23 24/04/2015
I was following the Spyro's Kingdom rumors in 2010 when I joined the forum. After the reveal trailer came out, I thought the idea was interesting and when more trailers were released I made my decision to buy the game.

I went to Best Buy, picked up the starter pack and Stealth Elf, chatted with an employee who said he was a fan of Drobot, and then I payed for the game and went home to play.

Now that I think about, Spyro's Adventure was the game I bought the most figures for.smilie
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#21 Posted: 01:31:00 24/04/2015
Fall 2011 my boyfriend mentioned how cool the game looked because it had all the toys. I didn't really think twice about it, and I just went on. Well in like March 2011 I found a starter pack at a discount salvage store. Box was banged up but everything inside was intact. I payed like 19.99. I really enjoyed the gameplay and thought the leveling up was cool with the characters, but I decided that I didn't want to get into buying them yet. Well...after a summer of playing I decided to collect them all in Fall 2012 because I wanted more gameplay. I started hunting them all down and had a few surprises along the way (Boomer, Darklight Crypt). I got Giants around the Holidays in 2012 and ever since that game I just started buying the new characters on release date with each wave all the way until now. I never buy the S2's though except a few. Sometimes I look at the shelves and ask myself if its worth it, but I think somewhere down the line I will enjoy looking back and seeing the army of Skylanders.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#22 Posted: 03:03:48 24/04/2015
I had caught wind that a new Spyro game was coming out from...actually I think here before I signed up and was just creeping the forums/site. I ended up really liking it, and shared the news with some friends, who also hopped on the "toys to life" train, since it's such an incredible concept.

hundreds of dollars later, here I am still lol.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#23 Posted: 03:48:30 24/04/2015
I started when it was announced. Thought the whole toy gimmick was very neat. At the very least, I'd buy some toys even if the game was meh (like all those cheap web games before it which was the only thing comparable to the concept). Whoa it's like Diablo for kids!
---
#all Spyros are valid
OnionCakes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#24 Posted: 15:10:04 24/04/2015
I had just pitched an idea of toys to life for one of my game art projects in school. People thought it was the most ridiculous thing and about 6 months later the announcement came for skylanders. When it came out I jumped on it with every coupon I could find (I was working at Disney at the time so not a lot of money coming in with still going to school).

I remember bringing it home to my apartment and my 4 other roommates wondering if they should move out because I was clearly insane. (I was the only gamer, and now I "play with toys"). I called my boyfriend who was finishing his degree in San Francisco at the time and explained it to him and we both thought it was amazing. My grandma is a lover of toy collecting too so ever since we enjoy collecting the toys for her.

-------------

I have a family friend (I was raised with his older sister and practically raised the boys myself) who is like a little brother to me and the year Giants came out, I did my first WAL MART black friday with his mom because their family is really poor. But his mom managed to really pull for a ps3 on my recomendation (I could also let them borrow 20 games which was a seller for her) and we went to black friday to get the 40$ Giants and 30$ SSA for him; I grabbed a GitD Whirl Wind and the games, and found out they rang up Sale price at 5PM Thanksgiving day so we walked in, walked out, and didn't have to get murdered. So yay!
---
Check out my boyfriends Skylander ARTWORK
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108425
http://jacob-a-sweet.tumblr.com/
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#25 Posted: 19:35:34 24/04/2015
I saw SSA in a store and asked for it for Christmas.

...What? What did you expect, War and Peace?
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
DobermanOwner Yellow Sparx Gems: 1013
#26 Posted: 11:24:44 25/04/2015
I went to my friend's birthday party in June last year. Her 7 year old son asked me to play video games with him and pulled out this big colorful case of action figures. Confused, I watched him plug in the portal, line up his figures and turn on the game. He told me to pick a figure to use in the game and sit it on the portal. I noticed a familiar purple dragon in his line up, so I chose to play as Spyro. I immediately fell in love with the gameplay. I grew up playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, so this was right up my alley.

The next day, I did some research online about the game, found out there were hundreds of figures and two other games. I am a sucker when it comes to collecting figures (I have a huge collection of scale model animals called Schleichs), so I decided to invest in the game. I went to Walmart later in the week and picked up the Swap Force starter pack. My husband picked out two figures- Slobber Tooth and Spy Rise, and I chose Spyro and Scratch. We went home and played for HOURS!

The obsession started from there. That week, I bought like 20 more figures and did some research on storage options online, leading me to this forum.

Now here I am, 222 unique figures, 29 doubles, 27 magic items and 48 traps later... Not to mention the countless other Skylanders swag items I have.
---
Collection total: 317/364 figures, 28/31 vehicles, 51/66 traps, 34/35 magic items & bonus levels (not counting Skymiibos)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:26:01 25/04/2015 by DobermanOwner
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#27 Posted: 17:59:51 25/04/2015
Saw the demo in Best Buy a few weeks before it was released, where a representative told us how it worked. My son and I got hooked. His Christmas has basically been the game since 2011-2014.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:00:12 25/04/2015 by TakeYourLemons
sackboy5055 Green Sparx Gems: 198
#28 Posted: 19:27:36 25/04/2015
I started late with S:SA but have pre-ordered every since Giants but not got dark trap team cause I pre-ordered TT too early.
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#29 Posted: 19:40:10 25/04/2015
5 years ago. I searched Spyro on google and saw a news article with a picture of a weird Spyro on it. I didn't care how he looked, i just wanted spyro! I bought SSA, after i got all the characters, i thought i was done for good. Than SG, SSF, STT, showed up. smilie

Have you noticed Spyro is starting to look more like... spyro?
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#30 Posted: 19:48:57 25/04/2015
Quote: goldenrushducks

Have you noticed Spyro is starting to look more like... spyro?

As I said in my post,the first picture was definately an early model/texture. New graphics definately helped make him look less spotted and aged,but compare the first picture to the website one a bit before release. They'd have definately salvaged a few more fans by getting a better first impression.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Barrysun Gold Sparx Gems: 2106
#31 Posted: 15:50:18 26/04/2015
I've got stared after watching Spyro's adventure reviews from Irate gamer and the Wiiviwer and they recommended a buy. so I've decided to check it out. I've first went for the 3DS verion and it was completely different from the videos I saw. It was an ok game, but I did eventually picked up the a console verion for the PS3. it got everything the reviewers were talking about. and the rest is history.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#32 Posted: 16:44:31 26/04/2015
Saw Bash bought him and game.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
madibart Blue Sparx Gems: 511
#33 Posted: 00:01:53 27/04/2015
After being the animation director and character designer on the 3 original Spyro the Dragon games I was interested in what they were going to do with the character in this series. I didn't buy any of them when they first came out because I know what a collector I am and I knew I wouldn't be able to stop. After seeing them in the store a few times and knowing my daughter would like to play with me I decided to go ahead and get a few. After playing the game the first night I immediately bought the rest that were available. Now, 4 games (well, more than that including 3DS and iPad versions) and about $5000 worth of characters later at least I can say I was right about my initial hesitance to get involved in this in the first place.
CookieCutter Green Sparx Gems: 295
#34 Posted: 18:24:00 27/04/2015
Thank you for your work on my favorite games! Spyro 1-3 are wonderful!
Barrysun Gold Sparx Gems: 2106
#35 Posted: 18:26:10 27/04/2015
Quote: madibart
After being the animation director and character designer on the 3 original Spyro the Dragon games I was interested in what they were going to do with the character in this series. I didn't buy any of them when they first came out because I know what a collector I am and I knew I wouldn't be able to stop. After seeing them in the store a few times and knowing my daughter would like to play with me I decided to go ahead and get a few. After playing the game the first night I immediately bought the rest that were available. Now, 4 games (well, more than that including 3DS and iPad versions) and about $5000 worth of characters later at least I can say I was right about my initial hesitance to get involved in this in the first place.

One thing I wished they did is to bring back some of the Spyro characters from the original series. one character I missed seeing is Hunter and his habit of giving me some challenges for Orbs and eggs. They should really bring back some mini games and challenges from the Spyro games to Skylanders.
yoshidrone Green Sparx Gems: 126
#36 Posted: 19:36:46 27/04/2015
I loved Nintendo Power. I always read it. When they started doing articles on Skylanders, I was hooked. It was such an interesting concept to me! I loved everything the game advertised in the articles: Awesome action, fantasy characters, funny humor, and to top it all off: awesome figures of the in game characters! I grabbed hold of every bit of info I could from the magazines. Where could I sign up? When the game came out, I accidentally stumbled upon the game. I had no idea it was out yet, but I immediately put all of my current funds into the Starter Pack, as well as Drobot, Bash, Zap, Chop Chop, and Eruptor. I may have also gotten the 3DS starter pack as well, but I don't remember. I was hooked! The game was everything I hoped for and more! And the poster that came with the game showed so many awesome characters! This series has truly been an amazing (and costly) ride for me, but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way.
---
This will be a piece of cake, especially for heroes like us! Heroes who like cake.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#37 Posted: 20:33:59 27/04/2015
I posted the whole story some where else, but I'll say this~

You see here, I actually found darkSpyro in like.. 2007, and then in 2010 or 2011 whenever I had first heard about SSA~
I thought it looked cool, since I had played the Classic Spyro series when I was younger, and a few other games in the Spyro series too, but I wasn't extremely excited about it, until I realized it was placing toys on a portal and then they appear in-game
That really got my attention... until I forgot about it..
I remember one of my friends got the game for his birthday, about a month after SSA came out, and then I remembered how cool the game looked, and I started playing right away.. My actual first Skylander I ever played as was.. Gill Grunt~
My friend chose Spyro, but I played as him right away after~ The game seemed so amazing, and he eventually got all the SSA landers, except Ghost Roaster and Boomer, and the variants~ I didn't get the actual game until 2012, and then I got SG for Christmas, and I was obsessed over it, and I didn't even have many Skylanders at the time, but the first Skylanders I got, were Prism Break, Eruptor, and then Double Trouble + Whirlwind + Drill Sergeant Triple Pack, and then S2 Gill Grunt was my first Series 2 character, because I quite like that Gillman, he's been one of my favourites since the beginning~
And so I continued buying the games, and the figures, and in 2013, I really caught up on a lot of the figures I was missing, half of my collection probably came from that year~
And here I am, with about 70 or 80 some Skylanders, and 17 traps,
Trap team is most likely my last game, unless I get the disc-only form of Sky 5, but that doesn't mean I'm stopping playing, I always like playing PVP with my nephew, and since I lost all my save progress, I still need to get all my games to 100%, and I still haven't even registered every Skylander in every save file, so.. I'm going to keep playing for quite a while~
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:36:02 27/04/2015 by Badwolfmichael
Skylandscaper Emerald Sparx Gems: 3966
#38 Posted: 22:14:22 27/04/2015
My son was 6 when I saw a commercial for SSA before Christmas. I bought it because it seemed like a cool idea, and like something we could play together. The addiction started when the shelves were bare that January, and I found DarkSpyro that February for more information on releases.
---
WANTED: regular Chompie Mage. Can be loose. We will open and play with it like all of our Skylanders.
Rumiko Green Sparx Gems: 419
#39 Posted: 16:48:56 29/04/2015
in 2011, when i was looking up info for the cancelled spyro's kingdom, i first saw the new spyro design reveal for skylanders, and i hated it just like everyone else. but then it started to grow on me, and i eventually just gave up my hate and got spyro's adventure, mainly because all i really wanted was to just play a new spyro game since i was obsessed with the ps1 spyro games at the time. and also because i thought the toys to life idea sounded quite cool.

when i played it, i realized that my hate was so stupid and blind, and people shouldn't hate an entire game for a character design. then i started going on this wikia site thing for skylanders fan characters (where i also met my bf because of our love for this stupid game), and it only made me even more obsessed.

for two years i was so obsessed with collecting those figures, even though i dont really buy any more nowadays. now i have every game from spyro's adventure to trap team and a huge huge box of figures and sometimes i stop and wonder what am i doing with my life.
---
ogre
Captainfishlip Green Sparx Gems: 415
#40 Posted: 00:56:33 30/04/2015
For me a friend of mine had Spyro's Adventure at his house played and liked it a lot and a few months later bought Giants. I eventually went back and bot the first one and have to other two as well.
---
SA 31/32 SG 16/16 SF 27/32 TT 30/52 SC 9/20 SCV 3/20 SI 3/31
sklndrmommy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1508
#41 Posted: 01:58:21 05/05/2015
My then 4yo played Giants at a friend's house and loved it. Every time we went to Best Buy he played the demo and it looked fun to me (I haven't liked video games since SNES). I got him Giants for Christmas and then I started playing Lost Islands and I was hooked. We have at least one version of every character (still working on TT) and it's something my son and I enjoy. Our collection even HS a wall on DH's man cave :-)
---
Trying to keep an updated code trading list in my guestbook for Lost Islands.
Mommy to player JacksonTreeRex.
Cheshiremonkey Gold Sparx Gems: 2068
#42 Posted: 04:30:13 05/05/2015
Penny Arcade had a comic or two about it. Got hooked after a Google search.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me