Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders - Cost through the series [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 04:51:50 10/04/2015 | Topic Creator
So, based off of other threads, I thought I'd put together some costs.

Here's a few basic assumptions:
Starter Packs run $80.
Dark Starter runs $100.
Core figures run $12.
Special figures (Giants, SWAPpers, Trapmasters) run $17.
Adventure Packs/Battle Packs run $25.
Action Packs run $32.
Traps run $7.

Now, I know you can often find these on sale for less - and, in the case of earlier games, the figures were often cheaper. Heck, the prices above are pretty much Toys R Us prices, which run $1/figure than everywhere else. But, to keep things simple, I went with these prices. Also, no multi-packs. That just complicates things. Also, no Volcanic Vault. Because, reasons.

The idea is, how cheap can you acquire everything in the game with the least amount of purchases. Also, the assumption is that the game being discussed is the first game in the series you have. Sure, some folk have been there since the beginning, but not everyone has been.

For SSA, you'll have to buy the starter and the four expansion packs. That leaves you needing an Air and Life Skylander. Total cost - $204.

For Giants, you'll need the starter, the four expansions from SSA, the two battle packs, a Magic and a Tech Skylander - Total Cost, $254.

For SWAP Force, you'll need the starter (don't get the Dark Starter, since you really won't need the extra core figures), both expansions, both battle packs, then it gets confusing. If you plan ahead well enough, you'll need to purchase 6 additional SWAPpers to get all of the movement types, but you'll double up on one of the elements. Plan it right, and you'll be short an undead character, but you'll get one in your Crossbow Battle Pack. You'll also need a Giant for the game - all of which bumps you up to a total cost of $299.

Finally, Trap Team. This time, grab the dark starter. It's $20 more, but you get an extra Trapmaster and an extra trap, saving you $4. Get the two adventure packs and the two action packs. With the starter and the action packs, you have five of the 11 traps you need, so pick up six more of those. With the starter and the action packs, you have four of the 10 Trapmasters you need, so you'll want to pick up six more of those. Finally, you'll need to grab a Giant. Total cost this go-around, $375.

So, there's your buy-in for each game. Food for thought. :D
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#2 Posted: 06:08:02 10/04/2015
Not bad, a little over a grand retail! Unless your like me, and must have everything and ASAP, spending well over 10k..
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#3 Posted: 06:42:40 10/04/2015
^ Bingo. I spent what UncleBob said I could get away with for all of Trap Team on opening night. Yikeroni.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#4 Posted: 08:14:50 10/04/2015
note for swap force, you can get away with just 8 of them to unlock all movement abilities and swap element combos.

wash buckler (water climb)
blast zone ( fire rocket)
free ranger ( air spin)
stink bomb ( life sneak)
magna charger (tech speed)
rattle shake ( undead bounce)
rubble rouser ( earth dig)
hoot loop ( magic teleport)

the other 8 swappers also make this same combo but because you get blast zone and wash buckler in the starter its not worth it to replace them.

trap shadow ( magic sneak)
boom jet (air rocket)
fire kraken ( fire bounce)
night shift (undead teleport)
grilla drilla ( life dig)
doom stone ( earth spin)
spy rise ( tech climb)
freeze blade ( water speed)
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#5 Posted: 16:36:08 10/04/2015
This was never a cost effective franchise...poor bang for your buck and your money could be put to better use many times over just buying other video games instead. Toys to Life was the cool and novel thing several years ago...now, we're all just fools roped into a plastic-toy collecting fad who will collect the toys regardless of what kind of video game product is put out year after year. No need to add up the numbers...it's a poor investment and we all know it, but we're fans and as long as it makes us and the people we play with happy, we're going to ride this ship until it sinks.
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#6 Posted: 14:58:33 13/04/2015
^In whole-hearted agreement. Except for the little part about it being cool several years ago. The world cannot print money fast enough to give to Nintendo, and Lego is about to start getting theirs. Trap Team hasn't sold as well as SF, but it has still sold a ton; it seems more like we're approaching the pinnacle of the fad.

How interesting, that each game saw an approximate increase of $50, until TT bumped up to $75 more. At this point, they have this scheme down to an art form; question is, when will they get too bold? When will we decide it's not worth it? They obviously forced TfB to increase pay-walls to arrogant levels at the ninth hour; let's not assume they won't do even worse to VV's next offering. This Portal Master predicts buy-in for Sky 5 will be around $500.
---
1Jn47
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:00:06 13/04/2015 by Plordigian
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 15:23:17 13/04/2015
I've found my wallet is much happier waiting for sales and stuff for things. Thanks to waiting a bit, or otherwise picking things up with coupons and what not, I've spent a fraction of that for each game.
At least..I kind of did. I ended up buying everything for most of the games so it doesn't really factor. But if I only bought what was needed, then yeah I think I hit the mark pretty good.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#8 Posted: 15:36:03 13/04/2015
I bought most items on sale, but there have been times when I didn't. It happened with this last wave. I got the traps at a deal, but not the figures. The next round, of all games, will be all about sales. I don't buy everything, but my wallet still takes a beating.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me