Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
My TRU experience and help [CLOSED]
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#1 Posted: 16:58:26 08/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Well, here it goes. * deep breath*

I haven't been on here for a while, because of my fading love for skylanders. I still buy them, but rarely, so i won't finish TT. I went to TRU to exchange my accidental purchase of Knight Light. And right by the front entrance was a section of skylanders, i was choosing what i wanted to exchange it for. Than a sight caught the bottom of my eye, i couldn't believe it, it was a clear thunderbolt variant. After my mini heart attack, i snatched it, and finished what i had to do there. I'm now home, and my mother says i should sell it, i wanted to keep it and unbox it, but I'm having second thoughts... I have a variant collection, but it only has exclusives and commons ( green smilie etc. ) That would be the star of my collection. I didn't open it yet, and i will maybe later, or tomorrow. I wanted to ask you guys, should i sell it, or should i not? Please give me 1 reason. If i keep it, no doubt i would open it. Now, i feel like i don't need a regular one. I can provide a pic later if you want.
thanks.
-GRD

EDIT: thanks to all who will reply, i don't wanna clog the thread with posts. :/
EDIT 2: How many were made?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:12:37 08/04/2015 by goldenrushducks
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#2 Posted: 17:06:05 08/04/2015
I would rather sell it and get a few other figures to play with...but that's just me...I've never found a chase variant in stores myself, but I would be inclined to use it to increase my spend-ability for other Skylanders rather than have one trophy piece. I'm sure others will have a different point of view. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#3 Posted: 17:12:36 08/04/2015
I've had the same dilemma with the Frito Lay Fire Bone Hot Dogs. I got 3 in, but two of them were the same color. I had thought about trading one to get the color I need, but I've just sat on them. We gave one of them to my son who just opened it (and didn't even play with it that much). The other two have just been sitting in the closet. I'd almost like to complete the set, but since one is opened, I'm not sure. Plus, I'm thinking I could use the money more than a couple of Skylanders collecting dust.

I also would have the same dilemma as my son keeps asking for a clear Tuff Luck. If I had somehow ended up finding one, do I give it to him to enjoy or sell it? I know he'd just open it and play with it (and probably get it broken), lowering the value. I'd almost rather him have a regular Tuff Luck and sell the clear one to get the money to purchase more.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#4 Posted: 18:14:18 08/04/2015
Quote: obidawsn
I've had the same dilemma with the Frito Lay Fire Bone Hot Dogs. I got 3 in, but two of them were the same color. I had thought about trading one to get the color I need, but I've just sat on them. We gave one of them to my son who just opened it (and didn't even play with it that much). The other two have just been sitting in the closet. I'd almost like to complete the set, but since one is opened, I'm not sure. Plus, I'm thinking I could use the money more than a couple of Skylanders collecting dust.

I also would have the same dilemma as my son keeps asking for a clear Tuff Luck. If I had somehow ended up finding one, do I give it to him to enjoy or sell it? I know he'd just open it and play with it (and probably get it broken), lowering the value. I'd almost rather him have a regular Tuff Luck and sell the clear one to get the money to purchase more.

I've found that giving a clear or chase variant to a young child is the same as a normal figure...initial excitement is there, but it quickly wanes and the figure is added to the ever growing pile of other Skylanders. The young Skylanders fan in the family doesn't pay any more attention to the flocked Stump Smash and clear Fire Bone Hot Dog which he opened up long ago.
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#5 Posted: 18:38:51 08/04/2015
If you decided to sell it wait till Christmas... Market is flooded right now...and more so soon with GameStop bundles
procrstntngdrgn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3613
#6 Posted: 18:53:31 08/04/2015
Sell it for sure.
#7 Posted: 19:51:41 08/04/2015 | Topic Creator
ugh, i realllllllllllly want it...
$115 though? oof, 10 toys...
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#8 Posted: 20:15:20 08/04/2015
Quote: goldenrushducks

Do whatever makes you happy. If you'd be happier opening it versus getting a quick buck and then regretting it for a long time afterward, keep it and open it. There's far too much profiteering in this hobby/game as it is, so if you're not immediately wanting to make a quick buck, don't. I've found a single chase variant in the wild and managed to pick up two more thanks to a GameStop bundle. While I haven't opened any of them, I have no more intention of selling them as I do any of my loose, played with figures. Why? Because I enjoy having them. If you enjoy having the figure, keep it. If you're worried that you might lose that attachment down the road and want to sell it? Leave it in the packaging but keep it. Here's a question I didn't see asked: How do you keep your other special edition figures? Are they all opened, or are they sealed? This one didn't cost you anything more than a standard figure for this game and shouldn't worry you any more than that, no matter how others might handle your situation.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#9 Posted: 20:22:18 08/04/2015
As darkchylde said, do whatever your heart tells you to.

My personal recommendation? Keep it in the box and don't use him in the game. Chase figures are excellent display pieces, and if you're ever desperate for cash, sell it off.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#10 Posted: 20:29:12 08/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: darkchylde28
Quote: goldenrushducks

Do whatever makes you happy. If you'd be happier opening it versus getting a quick buck and then regretting it for a long time afterward, keep it and open it. There's far too much profiteering in this hobby/game as it is, so if you're not immediately wanting to make a quick buck, don't. I've found a single chase variant in the wild and managed to pick up two more thanks to a GameStop bundle. While I haven't opened any of them, I have no more intention of selling them as I do any of my loose, played with figures. Why? Because I enjoy having them. If you enjoy having the figure, keep it. If you're worried that you might lose that attachment down the road and want to sell it? Leave it in the packaging but keep it. Here's a question I didn't see asked: How do you keep your other special edition figures? Are they all opened, or are they sealed? This one didn't cost you anything more than a standard figure for this game and shouldn't worry you any more than that, no matter how others might handle your situation.

-Doug

They are opened.

Quote: Matteomax
As darkchylde said, do whatever your heart tells you to.

My personal recommendation? Keep it in the box and don't use him in the game. Chase figures are excellent display pieces, and if you're ever desperate for cash, sell it off.

I have a new plan, i sell it for $100ish and i buy RSS
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#11 Posted: 20:50:33 08/04/2015
I was happy to find a Flocked Springtime Trigger Happy last year. Rumors were that there were only about thousand of him or less. Sadly he doesn't look any different in the game and you have to really look hard to notice any difference as a toy. So I sold him on ebay soon after getting him. Now I can get him for about 2/3rds of what I sold him for but I don't really have any desire to do so. I'm happy enough knowing that I once had a higher demand figure and I'm at ease knowing I can live without it.

I think he'll probably be the same thing. You'll may loose interest in him by this time next year and will feel happy that you were able to cash in on it before the prices dropped. If you always get a naggy feeling that you should have kept him, then you'll most likely will be able to buy one for less than what you sold one for and will still be ahead of the game.

Honestly, clear figures ain't all that hot. They don't appear clear in the game and in person it's rather hard to see any detail on them. It seems just lazy to me rather than an excitable collectable. I'd rather have a cheap Nitro or a Dark variant figure over a clear. Those awful Walmart clear and glow in the dark figures from years past I hate as they just look like hunks of gloppy plastic to me with no special visual distinction in the game to make them worth playing. I only have them still as they are next to worthless.
---
Stay Cool!
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#12 Posted: 20:54:28 08/04/2015
im in a similar situation you are in, i got a clear thunderbolt at TRU too, my first chase variant. Im keeping him in the box, you can still use him while in the box and it keeps its collection value. As i posted in my topic abut it ill probably never sell it as its now part of my collection but its just one of those things that really highlight your collection. Just like people that collect other things like startrek and stuff, The box always ups the value by like 5 times.

its one of the weird things i noticed. we think about the value of items in our collection even thou most of us will never want to sell the stuff, then the question gets asked "whats the point of worrying about its value?" To me i guess its pride that i have something rare and of value in the collecting community. we all got our reasons.
Czar Mania Ripto Gems: 353
#13 Posted: 02:42:41 09/04/2015
Me personally I would keep it in the package and sell it later ,clear variants are rare I never found one just seen pictures online. Great find
#14 Posted: 13:52:42 09/04/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm selling it. someone bid. I can cancel the auction if i want, but that's up to me. that's already $100
#15 Posted: 15:50:34 09/04/2015 | Topic Creator
I decided I am selling it now because you guys said so.
Of course i can't give you the link, because it will count as advertising.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:42:33 09/04/2015 by Matteomax
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me