Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
I need help [CLOSED]
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#1 Posted: 23:08:32 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
I want to tell my parents I am atheist but I'm scared what they might say bac.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#2 Posted: 23:09:21 05/04/2015
Quote: epicLLOYD

wat religion is your parents
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#3 Posted: 23:09:39 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Christian.
#4 Posted: 23:11:17 05/04/2015
Christian.

my grandparents are christian............So take it from me.Tell them.They most likely will whine but hey.........
---
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#5 Posted: 23:11:21 05/04/2015

It's always best to be honest with them.

I'm sure they won't treat you any differently because you want to follow your own path.
---
^ You all know it's true
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#6 Posted: 23:11:39 05/04/2015
lmao, just tell them. If they actually love you they won't care.

Who gives a **** if you believe if we were created from an explosion or a dude with a beard
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#7 Posted: 23:12:32 05/04/2015
I can understand where you're coming from..

Are you sure about this? Because your parents might or might not take it seriously depending on how religious they are if you change your mind later,

I would start out by asking a few questions, or explaining why you think so,

I'll PM you.
RMStunticon Green Sparx Gems: 295
#8 Posted: 23:13:43 05/04/2015
Quote: Lunarz

Who gives a **** if you believe if we were created from an explosion or a dude with a beard

Or a dude with a beard who likes explosions.
---
I'm going to shamelessly promote my Youtube now, 'Kay?
https://www.youtube.com/channe...grjNmeuQrhvaMDA
#9 Posted: 23:19:54 05/04/2015
Quote: RMStunticon
Quote: Lunarz

Or a dude with a beard who likes explosions.

That's my cue smilie

[User Posted Image]
---
^ You all know it's true
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#10 Posted: 23:20:36 05/04/2015
Quote: Greeble
I'm sure they won't treat you any differently because you want to follow your own path.

That actually has a good chance of not being true. There are a lot of stories of this kind of thing pulling families apart. But that's not to say I advise against telling them. Honesty is the best policy and all that.

If you do tell them, you need to make sure that they understand that this isn't a "phase" or something that's "curable". This is how you feel, and even if they don't like it they can't change it. If they're good parents, they'll understand. If they don't...

then I say screw them. Being around that kind of person is not healthy, no matter who they are or how they are related to you.

How hardcore religious are they? I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to make sure that you understand what telling them might entail.
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:21:51 05/04/2015 by spyrolvr96
#11 Posted: 23:22:52 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
They are mostly religous, Christmas is bullcrap because they focus on the Jesus side etc. Anyway thanks guys, I hope it goes well.
#12 Posted: 23:24:43 05/04/2015
Just to get an idea, how do they feel about homosexuals? I feel like the feelings may be transferable. Keyword: may.
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
#13 Posted: 23:24:48 05/04/2015
They are mostly religous, Christmas is bullcrap because they focus on the Jesus side etc. Anyway thanks guys, I hope it goes well.

Good luck Lloyd.

Just put your point across, but don't be rude about it.

They're still your parents.
---
^ You all know it's true
#14 Posted: 23:26:24 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
They don't mind gays they said they wouldn't care if I was one but that's about it.
#15 Posted: 23:27:26 05/04/2015
They don't mind gays they said they wouldn't care if I was one but that's about it.

That's a good sign at least. But, if you're feeling nervous, is there anyone else you can talk to about this first? Any aunts or uncles that can listen to and support you?
---
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#16 Posted: 23:30:36 05/04/2015
I PM'd you some good stuff, go check it~
#17 Posted: 23:37:41 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyrolvr96

That's a good sign at least. But, if you're feeling nervous, is there anyone else you can talk to about this first? Any aunts or uncles that can listen to and support you?

Currently talking to Greeble and Badwolfmichael about it now, they are friends I trust.
#18 Posted: 23:39:47 05/04/2015
Currently talking to Greeble and Badwolfmichael about it now, they are friends I trust.

Don't get me wrong, friends on this site are great for advice (otherwise I wouldn't be here), but I meant- do you have someone close to you in real life to support you? Even be with you when you're talking to your parents if you want?
---
#19 Posted: 23:49:37 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
No, no one is atheist in my family.
#20 Posted: 23:53:55 05/04/2015
No, no one is atheist in my family.

I'm not saying they have to be atheist, just someone else to talk to first, to get a feel for what you're going to say, and to have someone with you to help calm your parents down from their initial reactions (which, I'm not going to lie to you, are likely to be negative). Someone to have your back. Even if this person doesn't agree with you, they can still support you.

Do you have any siblings? (Well, older siblings? Younger ones probably wouldn't be a great amount of help...)
---
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#21 Posted: 00:06:59 06/04/2015
Just be honest and tell them. It's the best thing to do. If they love you so much then they won't mind, hopefully. Say it in a kind, calm voice, and they will hopefully appreciate it. It's at the point, that they should respect you no matter what you believe.

If they don't, then at least you were honest. They might start to accept it then.
#22 Posted: 01:04:01 06/04/2015
Well, I'm going to go to sleep soon, so I at least hope that you see this post before going through with it. I guess my last piece of advice would be- don't do it tonight, or really even tomorrow. Figure out what you're going to say first, anticipate how you're going to respond to some reactions. Going in blind in this sort of situation is the last thing you want to do.

So, good luck, I'm praying for you and all that.
---
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#23 Posted: 01:06:33 06/04/2015
Just don't have parents like mine who are "incredibly disturbed" that I'm not Christian.

My grandma basically disowned me today because I didn't want to go to church.
#24 Posted: 01:07:35 06/04/2015
Quote: StriderSwag
Just don't have parents like mine who are "incredibly disturbed" that I'm not Christian.

My grandma basically disowned me today because I didn't want to go to church.

Man what a jerk
---
#25 Posted: 08:03:57 06/04/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't have any older siblings, my brothers are both younger than me (you don't say) and they are both really ignorant and don't care. I live in a different town from all my family so they are out, that leaves me with my friends but those are all jerks. Yep, my life sucks. I'll tell them later I just hope they don't take it the wrong way.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#26 Posted: 08:15:50 06/04/2015
I'm an atheist and I haven't told many about it, not even family, only really close friends that I've known for years. I just don't think it really matters in real life and it has a bit of a negative connotation with a lot of people, so I seldom bring it up.

What I would do in your situation is this, if you really think it needs to be said now, do it. Personally though, I'd just wait it out for a bit until I was older and more mature and then tell them, it would probably lessen any thoughts of "Oh, this is just a teen phase he's going through".

That's just my suggestion though, if it needs to be said, say it. Just be careful about it.
#27 Posted: 09:44:36 06/04/2015 | Topic Creator
I told them.

They didn't what the word meant, I told them what it meant and they told me stuff like I wont go to heaven or have Christmas but I don't care. They are fine with it, I told them it wasn't a phase and I still loved them. It's all fine I guess.

Thanks so much to all of you.
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#28 Posted: 09:57:00 06/04/2015
I told them.

They didn't what the word meant, I told them what it meant and they told me stuff like I wont go to heaven or have Christmas but I don't care. They are fine with it, I told them it wasn't a phase and I still loved them. It's all fine I guess.

I'm glad you told them. ^.^ It was the right choice. And I'm glad they didn't react negative whatsoever.
#29 Posted: 11:25:35 06/04/2015
That's awesome! I'm glad they took it so well.
---
#30 Posted: 13:49:27 06/04/2015
I told them.

Glad it went well smilie
---
^ You all know it's true
#31 Posted: 15:52:20 06/04/2015
I told them.

Great!!!!
---
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#32 Posted: 16:15:24 06/04/2015
Well I was about to say that it depends on what kind of parents you have and its impossible to know what they will think until you tell them:

But that's good. At least they are okay with it...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me