Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > If Nintendo bought the rights of Spyro?
Page 1 of 1
If Nintendo bought the rights of Spyro? [CLOSED]
Radiance Emerald Sparx Gems: 3950
#1 Posted: 20:17:42 03/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Though with Spyro sticking with Skylanders, that are both on new Nintendo consoles (Wii U/3DS), I just thought it would be a nice discussion after recently getting into the collect-a-thon platformer, Banjo-Kazooie. However it's hardly unlikely for everyone's favorite purple dragon to be handed to the most infamous videogame companies in the world.

Maybe I just think that Nintendo would give Spyro the respect that it deserves. (I loved the Season "trilogy" on the GBA years ago! Season of Flame still remains to be one of my favorite videogames to this day)

I think the idea would be nice. I know there's Bowser and Ridley, being primary antagonist dragons, but then you've got Spyro who would be able to kick both their butts twice as hard if they were ever locked in a room together. We could have some nice games that could get back to the original roots. Have characters from the original games return, and brand new worlds to explore and artifacts or objects to collect during your adventure!

I also think it would be neat if Retro could step in and become Spyro's next developer for a potential game. If the new Donkey Kong is fun and colorful as Rare's DKC, I bet Spyro could be even better than before.

And if this topic has been made before, just ignore it and move along. :D
---
Love is a gift.. Cherish it!
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 20:23:08 03/04/2015 by Radiance
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#2 Posted: 20:23:33 03/04/2015
Ehh... I don't know. I can't really explain it, but I just don't feel like it would work out
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#3 Posted: 20:42:27 03/04/2015
Same as spyrolvr. Nintendo didn't do BK,Rare did,and though they're the ones keeping the genre alive, Nintendo focuses a lot less on 3D plataforming and collecting per se(more 2D and whatever collectible is important this level or this world).
Besides, Nintendo won't do so many plataforming series just because they got an IP of the big mascots. They don't exactly love and respect every series they have through and through to begin with - unless they hired an entirely existing developer team from a Spyro game, they're never going to get anywhere close to the classics,even less LOS or Skylanders. They will do the same as Activision, put it where a new gimmick or genre seems fitting,and if there's interest THEN there's a small possiblity they'll answer to fan demands(while Activision just pretends to).
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:42:47 03/04/2015 by Bifrost
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#4 Posted: 20:43:15 03/04/2015
No, Spyro belongs on the PlayStation. I've never liked Nintendo's consoles or games.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#5 Posted: 20:54:49 03/04/2015
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I've never liked Nintendo's consoles or games.

You don't like a single Nintendo game? Not one? That's a pretty hefty statement.
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
#6 Posted: 22:02:37 03/04/2015
Spyro: A Hero's Tail came out on the Xbox and Gamecube,sooooo...

(and kind of ironic to read the game's reviews now. Too like the original games,no innovation,just before Shadow Legacy and ANB of all things.Says a lot about why they did that to begin with)
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:03:48 03/04/2015 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 15:38:05 04/04/2015
Quote: spyrolvr96
I've never liked Nintendo's consoles or games.

You don't like a single Nintendo game? Not one? That's a pretty hefty statement.

Well I was never brought up on Nintendo, and I have seen footage of some Nintendo games, they just don't really interest me.

Quote: Sesshomaru75
No, Spyro belongs on the PlayStation. I've never liked Nintendo's consoles or games.

Even though I would prefer him to be on the PlayStation, who are you to say where he "belongs"?

That's also kind of narrow minded of you if you really never liked a single Nintendo game you've played because either you haven't played that many or just have **** taste. :/

Spyro originally started from the PlayStation, I just think that's where his "home" console is. Just like the Tomb Raider franchise, it started off on the PS1, but now Square Enix want it just for the Xbox, which makes no sense to me at all.

I don't think it's narrow minded of me at all, what? Am I not allowed to not like Nintendo? lol. How do you know I don't have good taste, you don't even know me that well to make that sort of judgement right off the bat.
---
#8 Posted: 15:54:10 04/04/2015
Hating every single game under Nintendo's name is narrow minded in itself. You're including even third party in that.

And no console the guy starts on "owns" a character. That's recipe for console wars. Crash "belongs" to the Playstation so if Acti wants to port rereleases to Xbox and WiiU it's just wrong? Not really, it's just a controller,engine or whatever. Why should it MAKE any sense for anyone, if it's what the owner damn wants it to be?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:55:06 04/04/2015 by Bifrost
#9 Posted: 16:00:26 04/04/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Hating every single game under Nintendo's name is narrow minded in itself. You're including even third party in that.

And no console the guy starts on "owns" a character. That's recipe for console wars. Crash "belongs" to the Playstation so if Acti wants to port rereleases to Xbox and WiiU it's just wrong? Not really, it's just a controller,engine or whatever. Why should it MAKE any sense for anyone, if it's what the owner damn wants it to be?

I suppose the word "hate" is a strong word, here's another way of putting it; I don't care for Nintendo games. They don't interest me.

And the reason why it doesn't make much sense to just swap the series to another console is because the majority of the fans properly have owned that brand since the start, so why would you make them get another console just to continue the series? Fair enough if it's on multiple platforms but if it's not, it doesn't make that much sense to me.
---
#10 Posted: 16:46:39 04/04/2015
Because maybe the company itself doesn't want the game in its usual console? It happened with Bayonetta being initally Xbox 360 exclusive(it eventually got a PS3 port but still) and after the initial riot everyone noticed that Platinum Games was in the right by ditching SEGA for Nintendo to make the second game real, though they're an exception because they did the smart thing and actually ported the first game to the WiiU to get people up to speed,and it definately helped sales.
If Acti ever struck a deal with a console company for a quick buck on Skylanders/Spyro they wouldn't have another choice but having an exclusive game, even a Nintendo console. Doesn't matter the past being on Sony or whoever, it goes where the new ally says. So in the end back to my point,it doesn't matter where it should or should not belong, the IP holder won't care if another console *seems* better than the current one and will change in a jiffy.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:47:04 04/04/2015 by Bifrost
#11 Posted: 22:07:56 04/04/2015
Because maybe the company itself doesn't want the game in its usual console? It happened with Bayonetta being initally Xbox 360 exclusive(it eventually got a PS3 port but still) and after the initial riot everyone noticed that Platinum Games was in the right by ditching SEGA for Nintendo to make the second game real, though they're an exception because they did the smart thing and actually ported the first game to the WiiU to get people up to speed,and it definately helped sales.
If Acti ever struck a deal with a console company for a quick buck on Skylanders/Spyro they wouldn't have another choice but having an exclusive game, even a Nintendo console. Doesn't matter the past being on Sony or whoever, it goes where the new ally says. So in the end back to my point,it doesn't matter where it should or should not belong, the IP holder won't care if another console *seems* better than the current one and will change in a jiffy.

Okay then.
---
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#12 Posted: 22:44:47 16/09/2015
Same as spyrolvr. Nintendo didn't do BK,Rare did,and though they're the ones keeping the genre alive, Nintendo focuses a lot less on 3D plataforming and collecting per se(more 2D and whatever collectible is important this level or this world).
Besides, Nintendo won't do so many plataforming series just because they got an IP of the big mascots. They don't exactly love and respect every series they have through and through to begin with - unless they hired an entirely existing developer team from a Spyro game, they're never going to get anywhere close to the classics,even less Legend Of Spyro or Skylanders. They will do the same as Activision, put it where a new gimmick or genre seems fitting,and if there's interest THEN there's a small possiblity they'll answer to fan demands(while Activision just pretends to).

I definately agree with Bifrost. Now if RARE and I mean the ex- RARE employees making Yooka-Laylee, the RARE that did Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, etc. Then maybe that would be certainly interesting. Or maybe by indie devs who are making A Hat in Time by Gears for Breakfast, or the Legend of Lobodestroyo by Lefthanded Game Studios, they seem to know how those 3D collect-a-thon platmorms works these days. I don't know about Nintendo. But it's certainly unlikely such a thing would happen. I don't have the faith to hope for a new Spyro game that is similar to the classic trilogy. I'd like to see one happen though. I like 3D platforming collect-a-thons.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:01:07 23/09/2015 by Bryman04
#13 Posted: 22:46:14 16/09/2015
Yooka-Laylee is made of almost all ex-Rare employees. The other cases are new people,yeah, but Playtonic Games is really their attempt to bring it back to how it was pre-MS.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:46:42 16/09/2015 by Bifrost
#14 Posted: 23:12:13 16/09/2015
Yeah, the new Rare did Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Conker: Live & Reloaded, mostly the Kinect games, and Conker's Big Reunion, I think. The new Rare didn't really live up to their legacy, and the ex-Rare emplyoees are making Yooka laylee. *older comment has been edited.*
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#15 Posted: 23:40:13 16/09/2015
Sorry, but, no. I was never a big fan of Nintendo. If they bought Spyro, it would be just nothing the but re-hash games and endless spin-offs. I don't wanna see like billions of sequels of "Spyro Kart" or something.

(No offense to Mario fans.)
#16 Posted: 23:44:56 16/09/2015
...They only do Mario Kart though, they don't spinoff into racing everything that they touch. Besides, if we already have Superchargers Racing,they wouldn't even feel the need to.
---
#17 Posted: 23:54:44 16/09/2015
I think RaymanTwilight thinks of Nintendo as a kiddie mario company. True. But there isn't the Legend of Zelda Karts, y'know?
not to be rude RaymanTwilight.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:18:16 17/09/2015 by Bryman04
Seakara Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#18 Posted: 02:02:50 17/09/2015
Am I the only one here who would actually love this? As someone stated above, Nintendo I would think would give this series the respect it deserves, or at the very least better than Activision slapping his name and mutated face on the cover. Granted, I have absolutely no idea what their thoughts are on Spyro, whether he'd be something worthy to invest in. But in all honesty, I'd much rather see Nintendo at least try out their spin of a spyro game then see him in the background of all the skylanders.

My biggest curiousity is what kind of Spyro game they'd try to make. Could they try to make a collectathon such as the originals? Maybe even just go the easy route and do an HD remake of them? Would they try to maybe do something involving the story and/or more fighty gameplay of the legend series? Or try something completely different on the series, such as the change from 2D metroid to the prime series thanks to Retro.

As for the console thing... at this point I'm not sure it matters anymore. After the original trio, Spyro's been on multiple consoles on his games for the majority of the time. Plus I'd rather see Nintendo make him only for either the WiiU or 3DS (Or NX) so they can focus development on only that version.

Would they create something on par of the originals? Not sure, probably not. Maybe they don't even care for the series/character. But through my eyes, anything is better than Activision's use for him. (Unless it somehow gets into EA's hands...) And with that being my two cents, back to lurking.

(On a slightly off topic note, the only way Spyro would ever be able to beat Ridley would be if he has permanent superfire breath and Ridley stood completely still for a very long time. But if you've played any metroid game, you know how little he stays still...)
---
Lurking, lurking, lurking- Oo~ Shiny! Lurking, lurking, lurking.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#19 Posted: 04:21:52 17/09/2015
Nintendo makes good family games and that's what Spyro has always been best at/for. I'd buy a non-handheld Nintendo console for a Spyro helmed by them or one of their better third party partners.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#20 Posted: 04:58:24 17/09/2015
I think Retro could do Spyro justice, but I'd be worried if any other team at Nintendo ended up with the Spyro franchise. I don't think Spyro really meshes well with the Japanese sense of humor. Much like the Banjo series, I'd only ever want to see Spyro handled by a western developer with a good appreciation for its style and humor.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:59:12 17/09/2015 by Muffin Man
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#21 Posted: 05:36:30 18/09/2015
I just hope 3D platformers make a comeback soon (outside of the indie scene) and maybe then some up-and-coming developers will start becoming more proficient in the genre, at which point Activision could just license the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot IP's out to them.

---
Boop me if you see this.
#22 Posted: 17:12:59 27/09/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
I just hope 3D platformers make a comeback soon (outside of the indie scene) and maybe then some up-and-coming developers will start becoming more proficient in the genre, at which point Activision could just license the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot IP's out to them.

We can only hope. I actually like the sound of that. Maybe if Playtonic Games make Yooka-Laylee successful, more developers follow up and revitalize the genre.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#23 Posted: 18:28:18 27/09/2015
I think Retro's role as a Golden Recyling Bin in which you can throw dead series in there and get great results might work for Spyro.

Also Ridley would absolutely destroy Spyro.
#24 Posted: 01:04:12 28/09/2015
Quote:

Um, Who is Ridley?
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#25 Posted: 01:31:01 28/09/2015
Yeah... I'm not overly fond of the idea of Nintendo buying the rights to Spyro. I think everyone's already summed it up why.

(and yeah, call me narrow minded but i honestly agree with superspyrofan)
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#26 Posted: 19:38:57 28/09/2015
Quote: Bryman04
Quote:

Um, Who is Ridley?

A major antagonist in the Metroid series. Here's a picture...

[User Posted Image]

He's practically invincible in that he can 'die', but he will always come back somehow. He's gigantic, extremely intelligent, and really powerful. He is literally dubbed "The Cunning God of Death" in some game manuals.

I was mainly replying to this in the op.

Quote: Radiance
I know there's Bowser and Ridley, being primary antagonist dragons, but then you've got Spyro who would be able to kick both their butts twice as hard if they were ever locked in a room together.

Bowser sure, but Ridley? Not a chance.
#27 Posted: 21:38:03 28/09/2015
Quote: LunarDistortion
Quote: Bryman04
Quote:

Um, Who is Ridley?

A major antagonist in the Metroid series. Here's a picture...

[User Posted Image]

He's practically invincible in that he can 'die', but he will always come back somehow. He's gigantic, extremely intelligent, and really powerful. He is literally dubbed "The Cunning God of Death" in some game manuals.

I was mainly replying to this in the op.

Quote: Radiance
I know there's Bowser and Ridley, being primary antagonist dragons, but then you've got Spyro who would be able to kick both their butts twice as hard if they were ever locked in a room together.

Bowser sure, but Ridley? Not a chance.

yeah LOL. nah, instead of comparing who can kick who's butt, I like to think that spyro was a great game that I enjoyed growing up playing when I was a kid. I mean, it was FUN! until The Legend of Spyro...and Skylanders.... well- ok, The Legend of Spyro, in my opinion had like, a God of War kind of combat, kind of like Sonic Unleashed. It wasn't terrible. It was just... to different, ya know? And really, over storytized, if that is even a word. And Skylanders, well... ya know.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:21:08 28/09/2015 by Bryman04
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me