Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > This is just crazy (Scalpers in the wild)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
This is just crazy (Scalpers in the wild) [CLOSED]
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#1 Posted: 05:34:24 16/02/2015 | Topic Creator
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...ds=Marth+amiibo

Really scalpers, your going to charge 40 to 53 dollars for a single Marth Amiibo aka the only amiibo I care about till Lucina/Ike/Robin?

Post cases where scalpers are driving you crazy
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#2 Posted: 06:47:04 16/02/2015
Yeah... good luck with him. Also, I'd pre-order Robin & Lucina if I were you. Ike is supposed to be out, but is going to be rare like Marth. Nintendo has been having some rather shoddy distribution with Amiibo and scalpers are just making it worse.

Try importing if you really want Marth & Ike.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#3 Posted: 15:47:41 16/02/2015
i think i'm gonna cave and just buy a villager from a scalper... i'm probably never going to find one.

EDIT:

[User Posted Image]

well then
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:51:54 16/02/2015 by ZapNorris
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#4 Posted: 16:28:56 16/02/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
i think i'm gonna cave and just buy a villager from a scalper... i'm probably never going to find one.

EDIT:

[User Posted Image]

well then

Why do you want a villager amiibo?
#5 Posted: 16:32:25 16/02/2015
Quote: Mesuxelf

EDIT:

[User Posted Image]

well then

him and pac man are my favorites.

EDIT:

i've decided to pre-order the following amiibo from japan for my birthday.

Mario (4) (SUPER MARIO)
Ness (2)
Pac-Man (1)
Robin (2)
Lucina (2)
Wario (1)
Charizard (1)

you might be wondering why i'm getting many of ness, SM Mario, robin, and lucina. because i'm going to trade them for these guys..

sonic
lucario
meta knight
VILLAGER
little mac
pit
captain falcon

but don't worry, i won't sell them. I'm doing this solely to obtain the villager and others.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:15 16/02/2015 by ZapNorris
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#6 Posted: 16:43:36 16/02/2015

EDIT:

[User Posted Image]

well then

him and pac man are my favorites.

EDIT:

i've decided to pre-order the following amiibo from japan for my birthday.

Mario (4) (SUPER MARIO)
Ness (2)
Pac-Man (1)
Robin (2)
Lucina (2)
Wario (1)
Charizard (1)

you might be wondering why i'm getting many of ness, SM Mario, robin, and lucina. because i'm going to trade them for these guys..

sonic
lucario
meta knight
VILLAGER
little mac
pit
captain falcon

but don't worry, i won't sell them. I'm doing this solely to obtain the villager and others.

Why do you need 4 marios?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#7 Posted: 17:08:34 16/02/2015
HALT. DON'T IMPORT OR BUY A SCALPED MARTH.

Nintendo already said in a Nintendo Direct that they're planning to reproduce Marth amiibo to go along with the release of Codename S.T.E.A.M. (since FE characters are compatible with it). If this reproduction will be of Smash Bros Marth or something different I'm not sure, but he is going to come again at retail price. Just be patient and diligent.

sonic
lucario
meta knight

VILLAGER
little mac
pit
captain falcon

Unfortunately many people have a rule of thumb that they only trade retail exclusives for other exclusives. Unless you have a Shulk or Rosalina to spare, people might not bother trading you for their Lucario or MK.
#8 Posted: 18:07:05 16/02/2015
Crap.... then i'm gonna import 2 lucarios...
#9 Posted: 18:27:37 16/02/2015
If you can import him for cheap on a place like AmiAmi, go ahead. Otherwise keep waiting. Toysrus seems to randomly get new shipments every now and then so check the nearest store.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#10 Posted: 18:33:34 16/02/2015
I think the only amiibos I want are,

Sonic
Lucario
Charizard (maybe. Not sure what the planned figure looks like)
Toon Link (on the maybe list)
and Fox.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#11 Posted: 18:35:43 16/02/2015
Quote: Trix Master 100

Sonic
Lucario
and Fox.

[User Posted Image]

It's subject to change but I doubt it'll be very different than what you see here.
#12 Posted: 20:08:43 16/02/2015
Quote: CAV

Sonic
Lucario
and Fox.

[User Posted Image]

It's subject to change but I doubt it'll be very different than what you see here.

Oh my god I need that right now.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#13 Posted: 21:04:12 16/02/2015
$40-50 for a Marth isn't as bad as he went for a couple of months ago...
---
words. letters. filler.
dinorang67 Gold Sparx Gems: 2409
#14 Posted: 21:54:29 16/02/2015
46 dollars for a Sonic that would originally be 15 at EB Games.
What the frick scalpers.
---
and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out a
#15 Posted: 21:57:28 16/02/2015
Quote: dinorang67
46 dollars for a Sonic that would originally be 15 at EB Games.
What the frick scalpers.

I got mine for $25 on Amazon.de
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#16 Posted: 22:17:07 16/02/2015
I love how everyone here just assumes all scalpers are evil demons who take everything off of shelves without thinking of others.

Some people scalp because they have low-paying jobs or don't have jobs at all and they need to feed their children.

Think before you speak.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#17 Posted: 22:19:48 16/02/2015
^ honestly, if you don't want to pay $50 for a ****ing toy, don't buy it. nobody's forcing you to result to scalpers.
---
words. letters. filler.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8554
#18 Posted: 22:23:11 16/02/2015
Quote: MoonHorizons
I love how everyone here just assumes all scalpers are evil demons who take everything off of shelves without thinking of others.

Some people scalp because they have low-paying jobs or don't have jobs at all and they need to feed their children.

Think before you speak.

Come on mate. Why would someone with poor financials go out and buy a figure and mark up the price to hell (without the guarantee of it selling by the way). You would just lose money that way. Sounds VERY counterproductive IMO.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:24:17 16/02/2015 by JCW555
#19 Posted: 22:26:01 16/02/2015

Sonic
Lucario
and Fox.

[User Posted Image]

Yeah I might consider it. I wonder if they will add in the mega evos. I kind of doubt it, but just throwing that thought out there.

Perhaps I should see if I can get a Sonic one for my boyfriend. Or a Link one.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#20 Posted: 22:29:25 16/02/2015
Quote: MoonHorizons

Think before you speak.

Many scalpers buy hundreds of dollars worth of figures to sell them for higher profit. This heavily implies that they have at least some sort of income to begin with, and just want even more money regardless of what they affect. Mariotehplumber for example bought hundreds of Rosalinas to scalp them off so he can make more money, as well as spite Rosalina fans. And he has $35000 remaining to spend on scalping more figures in future waves. He isn't in financial trouble clearly.

Maybe there are a few out there that fit your description, but most of them don't.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:30:30 16/02/2015 by CAV
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#21 Posted: 22:54:01 16/02/2015
Quote: TacoMakerSkys
^ honestly, if you don't want to pay $50 for a ****ing toy, don't buy it. nobody's forcing you to result to scalpers.

So much this.

Also, don't blame "scalpers" because you were lazy and missed out.

I have pre-ordered all Amiibo except Roslina and have gotten all amiibo that have been released - and paid retail (or less) for every single one. And that's after TRU messed up my pre-order and screwed me out of my Marth (day they were released, I tracked him down to a Target who still had him in stock). TRU had the Wave 1 figures up for pre-order for two months or more. There's really no excuses there.

Now, if we're talking about something like Toad (who GS and AMAZON has for about three mins) sure - that does suck. But in those cases, I doubt scalpers were able to get them by the hundreds anyway.

I want a Majora's Mask Collector's Edition. I don't want to pay eBay prices. Net result, I don't have a Majora's Mask Collector's Edition. And you know what? Life goes on.
#22 Posted: 23:01:09 16/02/2015
Quote: UncleBob

So much this.

I have pre-ordered all Amiibo except Roslina and have gotten all amiibo that have been released - and paid retail (or less) for every single one. And that's after TRU messed up my pre-order and screwed me out of my Marth (day they were released, I tracked him down to a Target who still had him in stock). TRU had the Wave 1 figures up for pre-order for two months or more. There's really no excuses there.

Now, if we're talking about something like Toad (who GS and AMAZON has for about three mins) sure - that does suck. But in those cases, I doubt scalpers were able to get them by the hundreds anyway.

I want a Majora's Mask Collector's Edition. I don't want to pay eBay prices. Net result, I don't have a Majora's Mask Collector's Edition. And you know what? Life goes on.

Maybe you don't have a ride to the store, or you don't have the money at the time, or everyone's already preordered all the stock they're shipping in.
#23 Posted: 23:06:11 16/02/2015
Again - Toys R Us had Wave 1 up for preorder for months (online and in-store).
#24 Posted: 23:30:21 16/02/2015
Here we can see the infamous Scalper in its native habitat. It is quite a horrid creature. It is quite similar to that of the homosapiens. That is because this thing you see before you is in fact an evolution (or de-evolution in this case.). These beasts were in fact human at a time but that time has long gone. Now all that is left is an empty shell with only greed filling its’ will to live on. Anyways, let’s get on to further studying this horrendous creature.

There are some key noticeable differences between a human and a scalper. Notice how the eyes have changed from a natural human eye to a dark pitch black circle. The iris has changed from a circular shape to a sign of currency. The scalpers seen here have dollar shaped irises due to them residing in the United States of America. Another key thing to note here is that they have also developed a hunched back. This is probably due to spending an ample amount of time hunched over computer screens in dimly lit rooms. In fact, this also is a reason as to why these gut wrenching beasts are known to be a bit on the overweight side. This leads to all sorts of poor health conditions as well as putrid bodily odors. These foul odors are used as a defense mechanism, should there ever be a threat to one of their kind. The stench is strong enough to incapacitate an average human for several hours.

Now that we have the basic anatomy of a Scalper out of the way, I believe it is time we go over their living habits. As one can easily guess, Scalpers tend to isolate themselves in dark, dimly lit areas, such as their mother’s basement or in underground sewers and underneath bridges. They are rarely seen leaving their dens unless it is for ruining the day of another person’s. Now then, Scalpers are known for one thing and one thing only, ruining things for other people. Specifically, destroying any and all chances a person may have at acquiring something of physical matter that a group of individuals may have interest in. They go to stores, hunt down things online and buy things en masse to ensure that no one else can buy said item. They then raise the price to ridiculous prices in order to profit off of these poor souls whom only wish to purchase something to add to their collection of nice trinkets.

Now then, you may ask yourself, is this right? Any and all logical and morally correct answers lead to it being immoral and completely unfair to others. That is what these foul beasts thrive on. They enjoy your pain, your misfortune. You, whom may not be as fortunate as others are. You, whom may not have as high an income as other people are fortunate to have. A scalper finds nothing but joy and satisfaction in the suffering of others.

These creatures have no hearts, no emotions, no guilt and no remorse for the foul atrocities they commit. All that matters is that they are lining their greasy, pork grind filled pockets with currency. These creatures are some of the worst creatures mankind has ever seen. Tickets to that concert for that band you like are strangely sold out. That brand new Collector’s Edition for that game franchise you love so much is somehow entirely out of stock. Things that were supposed to be given out for free are now being sold online for insane amounts of money. All thanks to the putrid Scalpers.

So then, how does one combat the growing threat of the Scalper? It is rather quite simple. Just say no. Do not give in to temptation. Patience and perseverance always prevail over the evil doings of the Scalper. Do not buy what they are selling. In time, they will realize that no one is going to buy the items that they have bought for the sole purpose of scalping and they will be forced to lower the price accordingly just to not lose money. That my fellow friends, is how we can defeat these vile beasts that pollute our fandoms.
#25 Posted: 00:08:39 17/02/2015
Here we can see the infamous Scalper in its native habitat. It is quite a horrid creature. It is quite similar to that of the homosapiens. That is because this thing you see before you is in fact an evolution (or de-evolution in this case.). These beasts were in fact human at a time but that time has long gone. Now all that is left is an empty shell with only greed filling its’ will to live on. Anyways, let’s get on to further studying this horrendous creature.

There are some key noticeable differences between a human and a scalper. Notice how the eyes have changed from a natural human eye to a dark pitch black circle. The iris has changed from a circular shape to a sign of currency. The scalpers seen here have dollar shaped irises due to them residing in the United States of America. Another key thing to note here is that they have also developed a hunched back. This is probably due to spending an ample amount of time hunched over computer screens in dimly lit rooms. In fact, this also is a reason as to why these gut wrenching beasts are known to be a bit on the overweight side. This leads to all sorts of poor health conditions as well as putrid bodily odors. These foul odors are used as a defense mechanism, should there ever be a threat to one of their kind. The stench is strong enough to incapacitate an average human for several hours.

Now that we have the basic anatomy of a Scalper out of the way, I believe it is time we go over their living habits. As one can easily guess, Scalpers tend to isolate themselves in dark, dimly lit areas, such as their mother’s basement or in underground sewers and underneath bridges. They are rarely seen leaving their dens unless it is for ruining the day of another person’s. Now then, Scalpers are known for one thing and one thing only, ruining things for other people. Specifically, destroying any and all chances a person may have at acquiring something of physical matter that a group of individuals may have interest in. They go to stores, hunt down things online and buy things en masse to ensure that no one else can buy said item. They then raise the price to ridiculous prices in order to profit off of these poor souls whom only wish to purchase something to add to their collection of nice trinkets.

Now then, you may ask yourself, is this right? Any and all logical and morally correct answers lead to it being immoral and completely unfair to others. That is what these foul beasts thrive on. They enjoy your pain, your misfortune. You, whom may not be as fortunate as others are. You, whom may not have as high an income as other people are fortunate to have. A scalper finds nothing but joy and satisfaction in the suffering of others.

These creatures have no hearts, no emotions, no guilt and no remorse for the foul atrocities they commit. All that matters is that they are lining their greasy, pork grind filled pockets with currency. These creatures are some of the worst creatures mankind has ever seen. Tickets to that concert for that band you like are strangely sold out. That brand new Collector’s Edition for that game franchise you love so much is somehow entirely out of stock. Things that were supposed to be given out for free are now being sold online for insane amounts of money. All thanks to the putrid Scalpers.

So then, how does one combat the growing threat of the Scalper? It is rather quite simple. Just say no. Do not give in to temptation. Patience and perseverance always prevail over the evil doings of the Scalper. Do not buy what they are selling. In time, they will realize that no one is going to buy the items that they have bought for the sole purpose of scalping and they will be forced to lower the price accordingly just to not lose money. That my fellow friends, is how we can defeat these vile beasts that pollute our fandoms.

How much time did you put into typing that?
#26 Posted: 00:11:12 17/02/2015

So much this.

Maybe you don't have a ride to the store, or you don't have the money at the time, or everyone's already preordered all the stock they're shipping in.

Well that's tough luck. Can't blame scalpers because you didn't have a ride to the store, money at the time, or that everything was preordered.
---
words. letters. filler.
#27 Posted: 00:14:21 17/02/2015

Maybe we don't have the money at the time.

I understand if it's a obscure or not very popular character like R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch, but let's be fair here: Villager from Animal Crossing or Pit from Kid Icarus being as rare as they are is unreasonable and unfair not just for people like me who wanted them to use in game (though I have Pit), but also children who like those games and want their favorite as a toy.

And while of course not everyone buying multiples of a figure is a scalper, they're also part of the problem. It kinda sucks when people go and buy multiples so they can trade for other people who bought multiples, or people buying two of each so they can have one to open and one to keep in a box for all of eternity as if it's a prize.

And we're not talking about a super limited collectors edition item like that Majora's Mask N3DS XL. We're talking about a $13 retail toy, often of characters that should not be as rare as they are. It's upsetting that I have to resort to arriving at a Best Buy early in the morning this Friday for the mere chance of getting Meta Knight, when I should be able to just arrive at the store later that day (or weekend) and pick him up like I would, say, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse if I had the money.

I honestly dislike this logic of "tough luck preorder next time" because this shouldn't be an issue for a toy. We shouldn't have to take toys this seriously. There shouldn't be a scalper market and I shouldn't have to run to every single store to ask "hey did you guys run out of wave 4 preorders?" just because I want my main, Pac-Man and don't want him running out on release.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:15:46 17/02/2015 by CAV
#28 Posted: 00:21:12 17/02/2015
I, too, wish everything were easy and would just fall in my lap.

But it doesn't happen that way.

Quote: Sesshomaru75
Again - Toys R Us had Wave 1 up for preorder for months (online and in-store).

Not everyone has a fortune to blow and waste on toys. ;)

Why are they complaining about not being able to blow their money on toys then?

PS: You don't need a "fortune" to go buy amiibo. I'm pretty middle class and I manage it.

Also, there are 200 results for "Pit amiibo" on eBay right now. If those 200 Pits were released into the wild at retail, how much do you think that would improve your odds of getting one?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:24:06 17/02/2015 by UncleBob
#29 Posted: 00:25:27 17/02/2015
I'm not even talking about falling in my lap and getting what I want. I'm talking about being able to say "I'll get them later when I have more money" and actually being able to do so.

I said that when I had Villager in my hands at Nintendo World the day amiibo first launched. I never saw him again. That shouldn't be the case, especially for a franchise as popular as Animal Crossing.
#30 Posted: 00:31:50 17/02/2015
Quote:
Life was always a matter of waiting for the right moment to act.

Do you grab that figure now, when it's in your sight, or do you wait and see if it goes on sale later?

As for not having the funds - I have a very small portion of my pay check direct deposited each week into a separate banking account. This is my gaming fund. Now, some of what I buy just comes out of my general entertainment budget - but when there's a big purchase (new system, Skylanders launch, whatever), I have enough in there to cover it.

But what's great about this is that it pretty much assures that I always have the funds set aside if something comes up unexpected.

It's all about budgeting your cash, setting your priorities, and knowing your limits.

I'm curious, does anyone here actually have a written budget for their income and outgo?
#31 Posted: 00:35:09 17/02/2015
My family lives off SSI and child support, but 99% of that goes towards bills, gas, an $850 rent, etc.

I'm not going to get into a ****ing match over how your family lives their lives, but SSI isn't really designed to buy you toys. One could say that child support is, but, really, it's more about necessities for the kids than anything.

Quote:
It shouldn't cost $60 for a low quality toy that should only cost around $14.

Then don't buy it?
#32 Posted: 00:37:24 17/02/2015
Honestly Bob I don't like the attitude you have of "either suck it up and buy it now regardless of the money you do or don't have or you can never have the toy you want". This attitude is rampant on r/amiibo and it's part of why it's such a toxic community nowadays (and why I choose to lurk instead of actively participate). If I can simply wait a few months to buy a video game I want but can't currently afford, why can't I do so with a goddamn toy for said video game?

Not everyone has enough money right at this moment, but they still want that toy later on. But what you are saying is that we then don't get to buy that toy, and don't even get to buy that toy later on when we do have enough money because it'll cost considerably more. That's the logic of someone who actively resells these toys.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:32 17/02/2015 by CAV
#33 Posted: 00:45:07 17/02/2015
Honestly Bob I don't like the attitude you have of "either suck it up and buy it now regardless of the money you do or don't have or you can never have the toy you want". This attitude is rampant on r/amiibo and it's part of why it's such a toxic community nowadays (and why I choose to lurk instead of actively participate). If I can simply wait a few months to buy a video game I want but can't currently afford, why can't I do so with a goddamn toy for said video game?

Not everyone has enough money right at this moment, but they still want that toy later on. But what you are saying is that we then don't get to buy that toy, and don't even get to buy that toy later on when we do have enough money because it'll cost considerably more. That's the logic of someone who actively resells these toys.

You must be new to video games.

If all you want is mainstream stuff, sure, you can buy it three, four months down the road for retail. You should try playing some Atlus games.

And I'm saying - plan ahead with your money. At this point, my budget is plotted out through December, with wiggle room for emergencies, fun spending, or whatever. How far out is your budget planned?

I didn't say it was, but when you have no other source of income and you have three children in the house, it's kind of nice to get them something nice every once and a while.

Get another source of income? Supplemental Security Income is supposed to Supplement your income. Not be a tugboat for buying anything and everything you want.

Quote:
What if I wanted to buy it?

What if I want to buy a $30 Million Mansion? Should I get to complain that the guy selling it is asking for more than I make?
#34 Posted: 00:48:44 17/02/2015
^Yes I'm new to video games that can be rare hence the Danganronpa avatar.

I have bought Atlus games such as the Persona and Trauma Center games. I didn't get them for months or even years after they released and yet I was able to buy them just fine at either full or marked down prices.

And my budget isn't quite planned simply because I'm not working. I would like to be able to buy the figures myself when I am working and have my own money but nope; instead I have to rely on my parent letting me borrow money so I can pay it off later. I hate doing that, but I'm stuck in a corner because the figures I want end up potentially being rare. All 5 of my Smash mains (Pac-Man, Greninja, Lucina, Falco, and Palutena) are all at pretty big risk of being rare, and that's kinda bull****.

Bob at this point what you're saying is "tough **** you don't get anything your fault for not having enough money right now" and it's a pretty nasty attitude to have at someone who simply wants a $13 toy but can't get it until, say, next week. You have that community attitude where everything is a goddamn race to get there first and it's disappointing. I honestly expected more from you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:50:17 17/02/2015 by CAV
#35 Posted: 00:50:06 17/02/2015
Alright, UncleBob. You spoke of budgeting income and outcome and the such. You do realize most of the userbase here and many others who would be purchasing Amiibo are young children who don't have jobs yet, right? The lack of funds isn't so much a matter of needing proper budgeting as it is they don't have much income. A normal allowance is doubtful to allow purchase of every Amiibo in a given wave. Most would probably only provide enough funds for one figure a week, maybe.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#36 Posted: 01:13:44 17/02/2015
^Yes I'm new to video games that can be rare hence the Danganronpa avatar.

I have avatars turned off... but regardless, Atlus games are known for low print runs and low availability. You named two of their largest franchises.

Quote:
And my budget isn't quite planned simply because I'm not working.

Ima gonna let you in on a tip. Budgets aren't for rich people. Simply, they don't need a budget because they can blow money whenever they want and not have to worry about it.

The less income you have, the *more* reason you should have a budget. When you're not planning your purchases out ahead of time, you find yourself more likely to make impulse purchases.

But, beside that (and I don't mean this in a mean way) - get a job. I had a paper route at 13 and have worked ever since then. Sure, paper routes aren't as common now, but you can mow lawns, shovel snow, tutor kids, baby sit (let them come over and play Smash with you!), find a locally-owned mom and pop store that will hire you as a bag boy or a mom and pop restaurant that will hire you as a dishwasher... I'm not better than you and I did all of these things when I was a kid - I have full faith in your ability to do it as well.

Quote:
You have that community attitude where everything is a goddamn race to get there first and it's disappointing. I honestly expected more from you.

No, I have the attitude of not expecting everything to be exactly how I want it all the time because that's how I want it to be.

How? Both my mom and I are disabled and incapable of getting a job.

Can't speak to your exact situation, but, generally, if you are so "disabled" to the point where there's absolutely no job you can possibly do, then there is likely additional assistance you can apply for. But that's getting into a topic I don't think is something you want to discuss openly on this forum.

Quote:
A mansion costing $30 million is probably not really that ridiculous considering that it's a ****ing MANSION.

A mansion and a toy are two very different things, especially since the toy is supposed to cost $14 ****ing dollars.

Who gets to say what the toy is "supposed" to cost and who gets to say what the mansion is "supposed" to cost?

Quote: Seiki
Alright, UncleBob. You spoke of budgeting income and outcome and the such. You do realize most of the userbase here and many others who would be purchasing Amiibo are young children who don't have jobs yet, right? The lack of funds isn't so much a matter of needing proper budgeting as it is they don't have much income. A normal allowance is doubtful to allow purchase of every Amiibo in a given wave. Most would probably only provide enough funds for one figure a week, maybe.

A.) Get a job. Like I said above, I've worked since I was 13.
B.) You're never too young to learn to budget your money.
#37 Posted: 01:15:31 17/02/2015
Honestly, UncleBob has a point. Everyone is whining over not being able to get a damn toy, but you're giving yourselves the opportunity, but you gave it away. If you didn't have the money at that time, tough luck, nobody to blame but you. Oooo, someone bought an extra figure to trade. Maybe that person is trying to trade that one for one they missed out. "I SAW SOMEONE BUY 5 AMIIBOS. ****ING SCALPER". Maybe he's trying to get some extra money, similar to how Sess is on SSI and Child Support, to help their family. OR MAYBE. THAT PERSON JUST WANTS THE ****ING TOY. Christ, the amount of idiotic nonsense I hear towards the argument about scalpers just baffles me on how stupid the fanbase can get. OH, BUT THE TOY IS $13 RETAIL AND SCALPERS ARE SELLING IT FOR $50. Supply and DEMAND. Low Supplies, Higher Demand. Value goes up, people are willing to buy it then. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BUY IT AT THAT PRICE. UncleBob is giving us life lessons, but you guys make it sound like he's force-shoving it up your ass to be a dick to you guys, when he's not.
---
words. letters. filler.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#38 Posted: 01:19:18 17/02/2015
Honestly, UncleBob has a point. Everyone is whining over not being able to get a damn toy, but you're giving yourselves the opportunity, but you gave it away. If you didn't have the money at that time, tough luck, nobody to blame but you. Oooo, someone bought an extra figure to trade. Maybe that person is trying to trade that one for one they missed out. "I SAW SOMEONE BUY 5 AMIIBOS. ****ING SCALPER". Maybe he's trying to get some extra money, similar to how Sess is on SSI and Child Support, to help their family. OR MAYBE. THAT PERSON JUST WANTS THE ****ING TOY. Christ, the amount of idiotic nonsense I hear towards the argument about scalpers just baffles me on how stupid the fanbase can get. OH, BUT THE TOY IS $13 RETAIL AND SCALPERS ARE SELLING IT FOR $50. Supply and DEMAND. Low Supplies, Higher Demand. Value goes up, people are willing to buy it then. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BUY IT AT THAT PRICE. UncleBob is giving us life lessons, but you guys make it sound like he's force-shoving it up your ass to be a dick to you guys, when he's not.

This, so much, I was just about to say this~
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#39 Posted: 01:20:17 17/02/2015
As a toy collector myself I can say that you're all complaining about someone selling plastic. ****ing plastic.
#40 Posted: 01:25:03 17/02/2015
But, beside that (and I don't mean this in a mean way) - get a job. I had a paper route at 13 and have worked ever since then. Sure, paper routes aren't as common now, but you can mow lawns, shovel snow, tutor kids, baby sit (let them come over and play Smash with you!), find a locally-owned mom and pop store that will hire you as a bag boy or a mom and pop restaurant that will hire you as a dishwasher... I'm not better than you and I did all of these things when I was a kid - I have full faith in your ability to do it as well.

Working on it man. Applied to more than once place already and waiting for a call back. Trying to get a retail position until I go to college.

Again, we aren't even talking about collectors edition figures or systems where such a thing makes sense. We're talking about toy accessories similar to Skylanders or Infinity characters that are used in a video game and are, like it or not, marketed to children who don't have regular income or the ability to stay up until 3 AM waiting for preorders to open.

And yeah nobody is forcing us to buy at the scalped price, but at the same time you're also saying that if we don't immediately preorder figures (or miss out on those preorders because we aren't online 24/7) that we should either accept it and pay that scalped price or call it quits entirely on a figure we wanted. That shouldn't be a thing and it's disappointing that it is.

Also there is no real reasonable logic to someone having enough money to buy hundreds of dollars worth of figures but not enough money to put food on the table for their children or pay rent. The vast majority of people scalping or hardcore collecting these figures are employed and have a good enough source of income; they just want to be greedy and get more. This includes retail employees that have sometimes lied to people and held onto figures for themselves to sell off later.

I honestly don't know why you guys are trying to defend scalpers that are essentially taking away these things from people or even children who actually want them and like the franchises they came from. It's one thing to do it with one figure or even to get a spare to trade off for another figure you missed out on. But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about people who are taking away from others and then offering to give it back for considerably higher prices.

If you seriously want to defend that guys, then go ahead. But this is not how $13 toys for a game should work, and people shouldn't have to be pulling their hair out about trying to get their favorite character in a non-collectible figure form. That's all I have to say.
#41 Posted: 01:27:09 17/02/2015
Although UB has a point. Sess also has a point, you can't get any jobs (Well little to no jobs at all) when considered disabled.

Also the kids here are like 13 below? Most of them. They probably wouldn't start considering getting a job until high school. Since there is in fact a underage workers law. And most work places take in 16 year olds anyways. That and economy is complete crap lately.

Honestly I would say stick a cork in it. Some of you guys are coming off as pretty rude.
---
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:28:16 17/02/2015 by Trix Master 100
#42 Posted: 01:28:41 17/02/2015
For the record, I'm not defending "scalpers" - I just don't care about them. Again, if the 200 Pits on eBay were dumped on the market at retail, what do you think your chances getting one would be?
#43 Posted: 01:30:18 17/02/2015
I'm honestly surprised and disappointed in how many people here are defending scalpers. Yeah they're just plastic toys, and that's why I have such an issue with scalpers and hardcore collectors taking them so seriously. It takes them away from people and children who just want to use them as Nintendo intended. I confess that I considered scalping myself, but not in the form of buying multiples at once as to give back to someone who missed out behind me in line.

I just want a Pac-Man to train. I shouldn't have to search the net late at night hoping I get a preorder so I don't have to pay double or triple the price later on.

For the record, I'm not defending "scalpers" - I just don't care about them. Again, if the 200 Pits on eBay were dumped on the market at retail, what do you think your chances getting one would be?

Indifferent on that one since I already have Pit.

But if, say, 200 Villagers dropped into retail, I myself would actually have a decent chance at them, living in a populated area like I do. We'd probably get more stock.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:32:07 17/02/2015 by CAV
#44 Posted: 01:48:56 17/02/2015
Quote: Seiki

A.) Get a job. Like I said above, I've worked since I was 13.
B.) You're never too young to learn to budget your money.

I have a job and do budget, saving a portion of each check for figures and such. I wasn't speaking for myself.

Also, keep in mind of child labor laws. At least in Texas, you can't get a job unless you are 14 and even then some places restrict until older. Doing odd jobs such as babysitting can only get you so far. Plus, there may also be kids around 9 who can't get a job. I've been in stores and see kids who can't be much older than 8, there with their parents picking out stuff they've saved allowance for. Darned good hearing has allowed me to overhear conversations to know it is solely the kid's money that is paying for these things.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:57:09 17/02/2015 by Seiki
#45 Posted: 02:09:20 17/02/2015
Indifferent on that one since I already have Pit.

But if, say, 200 Villagers dropped into retail, I myself would actually have a decent chance at them, living in a populated area like I do. We'd probably get more stock.

There are 164 Villagers on eBay right now. That's about three per state (ignoring the fact that some are imports and such). If your entire state managed to get a case of Villagers in (which is four, by the way), what do you honestly think your odds of getting it would be?
#46 Posted: 02:19:37 17/02/2015
^Problem is that it probably wouldn't end up that way. Some states get bigger shipments than others, and mine (New York) would probably walk away with at the very least 3 shipments.

But that wasn't even the point of the debate.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me