Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Help Me with my Hopes... [CLOSED]
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#1 Posted: 13:43:07 29/01/2015 | Topic Creator
I never thought I would make a topic anywhere but the video-gaming or the Skylanders forums, but right now this is a desperate time for me.

In case you don't know, I own two parakeets, one male, and one female. The male is named Arpeggio, while the female is named Frostbite. I have owned them for about 4 years now, and this event I am about to describe has never happened before. You see, I noticed just yesterday that Frostbite, the female, was a little rounder in her lower chest. When I did some research, I didn't think it was true. She must be pregnant with eggs.

I was at first excited, but as I researched more, it could be very life threatening. You see, unless the female gets enough exercise, or they have enough calcium in their diet (both of which are lacking, sadly) the female could become eggbound, which is when an egg is locked in her system, and can't come out. This is very strenuous to the bird, and it usually can't be solved by anyone but a veterinarian. I don't have one near me, so please, keep my bird, Frostbite, in your hopes. I don't want her mate, Arpeggio, to be heartbroken.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#2 Posted: 14:24:55 29/01/2015
I hope your bird is going to be alright! I can't really give and suggestions (I'm more for turtles) but I know eggshells can help give your parakeets calcium, but don't take my word for it. I hope she'll be okay!
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#3 Posted: 15:05:59 29/01/2015
That happened to one of my chickens. She died afterwards smilie
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#4 Posted: 15:54:41 29/01/2015
I sincerely hope that frostbite will be alright. ^.^
#5 Posted: 02:47:46 30/01/2015 | Topic Creator
In response to the statements above, I have already refined my birds' diet. I have learned that eggs, when cooked with no seasonings or additives, is actually very good for birds. And the protein is very healthy for a mother bird as well. The eggshells I have mixed into their seed should be doing some good, and the cuttlebone I have gotten for them will help as well. I should be getting a new cage built with a breeding box as well. And, thanks for all those who will keep Frostbite in their mind.
---
#6 Posted: 16:06:32 31/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the hopes. Me and my brother are gradually learning how to take care of parakeets well. We just rushed into things, and it is a miracle that the two survived for 4 years. I wouldn't be concerned for their exercise if the two weren't cage-birds, as in, they only like being in the cage. I try and train them. but they don't like anywhere else, unless I force them out. They remain mostly reclusive anyway.

I really wasn't expecting this to happen, so after the pregnancy, and the chicks are weaned and trained for daily life, I might just try and sell them to a store. We don't have the money right now to pay for a new cage, and honestly my parents aren't too thrilled either. But at least after this experience, I will take care of them better, and get all of the necessary supplies. I don't know if we'll try and breed again, though. It is a risky business.
---
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#7 Posted: 22:44:28 21/02/2015
Any updates?
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
#8 Posted: 03:22:40 22/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Everything is all fine. I would rather not talk about it now however.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me