Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > We are officially playing God now.
Page 1 of 1
We are officially playing God now. [CLOSED]
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#1 Posted: 04:40:06 07/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Some Japanese scientists created see-through mice.

I'm going to leave it to you to find since it can be disturbing for some viewers.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#2 Posted: 04:42:31 07/11/2014
It looks like melted plastic.
SackBoy01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#3 Posted: 04:47:02 07/11/2014
Quote: somePerson

So true.
---
ded
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#4 Posted: 07:04:26 07/11/2014
This actually seems to be a pretty profound innovation.

How is it playing God?
---
1Jn47
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#5 Posted: 10:51:24 07/11/2014
Cool. I've read about that.

It's weird to see how people around the world react to news like this. We've been genetically altering animals by breeding them for thousands of years now. Nowadays we can just do it in the lab and suddenly people freak out?
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#6 Posted: 11:06:29 07/11/2014
Old news to me.

It's useful to track proteins, DNA and cells with visible markers.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#7 Posted: 15:31:19 07/11/2014

you weren't kidding
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#8 Posted: 16:18:28 07/11/2014
Poor things.....
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#9 Posted: 16:58:23 07/11/2014
Eh, if we were giving them sentience or superpowers (totally no possible repercussions for that!), then one could say we're really playing God, just making freaks like these doesn't really fully qualify.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#10 Posted: 17:11:09 07/11/2014
Quote: Samius

It's weird to see how people around the world react to news like this. We've been genetically altering animals by breeding them for thousands of years now. Nowadays we can just do it in the lab and suddenly people freak out?

Exactly. Many people are surprised when I mention the colour variations in carrots are mutations and white is the "natural" colour.

Why are people so scared of DNA and science? Is it because they feel threatened when they're faced with complex information? Do they hate the idea of being influenced by something they don't fully understand?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:12:14 07/11/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#11 Posted: 17:13:09 07/11/2014
Looks trippy but for some reason when you said see through I thought you meant completely transparent (organs included). Not sure why.

Quote: Samius

Selective breeding is a different process to genetic reconstruction in a lab. Selective breeding at least appears natural and so people turn a blind eye to how many of the domesticated species of dogs and cats are a result of it (and in some cases are harmed by it). Lab work on the other hand doesn't appear that way, and at the same time reminds people of Dr. Frankenstein and his monster.

Of course we also have to ask ourselves if this harms the animal(s) in question. I would oppose it too if it's causing severe adverse effects on the mice, let alone humans in the future.
#12 Posted: 21:37:44 07/11/2014
^

Quote:
Creating transparency will give researchers a more complete picture when trying to solve complex scientific puzzles by allowing them to examine internal organs such as the brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and liver without ever cutting into the rodents. It provides a “new understanding of the 3D structure of organs and how certain genes are expressed in various tissues,” according to the research, which was published in Cell magazine.

It's here if you want it. Note that it has photos of them so if anyone here is still trying to avoid seeing them, I'd recommend against clicking the link.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8542
#13 Posted: 21:37:50 07/11/2014

True dat.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#14 Posted: 23:23:34 07/11/2014 | Topic Creator

maybe it's my one rubber mouse that I lost when I was a kid, i don't know.
---
#15 Posted: 04:27:47 08/11/2014
Quote: CAV
Selective breeding is a different process to genetic reconstruction in a lab.

Sounds surprising but no, selective breeding and natural genetic variation isn't a different process to laboratory induced variation. All reagents used in a lab for cloning, cutting, inserting and moving pieces of DNA and nucleotides around all originate from natural processes. The only significant difference is that in a lab we're not waiting for nature to mutate and produce what we can create in far less time.
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#16 Posted: 11:22:27 08/11/2014
If you guys actually read an article on it you'd know that they start off as normal mice. To make them transparent they put a saline solution in to their hearts, this then gets pumped around their body, killing the mouse, and causes all colour from tissues to be removed.

Sounds like a horrid death for the mouse.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#17 Posted: 16:09:25 08/11/2014
Quote: Ice Dragoness
If you guys actually read an article on it you'd know that they start off as normal mice. To make them transparent they put a saline solution in to their hearts, this then gets pumped around their body, killing the mouse, and causes all colour from tissues to be removed.

Sounds like a horrid death for the mouse.

Quote: AvatariDragon
Poor things.....

That's what I'm sayin'
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#18 Posted: 16:29:54 08/11/2014
Selective breeding is a different process to genetic reconstruction in a lab. Selective breeding at least appears natural and so people turn a blind eye to how many of the domesticated species of dogs and cats are a result of it (and in some cases are harmed by it). Lab work on the other hand doesn't appear that way, and at the same time reminds people of Dr. Frankenstein and his monster.

Of course we also have to ask ourselves if this harms the animal(s) in question. I would oppose it too if it's causing severe adverse effects on the mice, let alone humans in the future.

Spyro Fanatic kinda answered for me, but I know what you mean. It's people's attitudes that are causing these reactions, because not all of them stop to consider the whys and hows of news like these.
It's like you mentioned how selective breeding appears "natural". Natural doesn't really mean anything. Everything is natural. People often just relate the idea to something that is normal and safe.
breakfastpugbam Blue Sparx Gems: 973
#19 Posted: 22:50:51 09/11/2014
if I met the ppl who did this I swear to god I would ****ing burn them alive
---
You can't compete with all that puginess.
All the pugginess was had that day.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#20 Posted: 22:52:24 09/11/2014
PETA should be start protesting about right..............now
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8087
#21 Posted: 22:58:57 09/11/2014
Quote: breakfastpugbam
if I met the ppl who did this I swear to god I would ****ing burn them alive

they died for a good cause
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
AmethystRose Yellow Sparx Gems: 1132
#22 Posted: 23:25:27 09/11/2014
Looks like a failed McDonald's toy.
---
ϟ Break my heart, break me til I fall apart. ϟ
breakfastpugbam Blue Sparx Gems: 973
#23 Posted: 23:30:19 09/11/2014
they died for a bad cause
comare animals and earth before and after humans. im glad im not a human cuz they are ******
---
You can't compete with all that puginess.
All the pugginess was had that day.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#24 Posted: 23:31:57 09/11/2014
We can see Cancer and other bad stuff now!
AmethystRose Yellow Sparx Gems: 1132
#25 Posted: 23:38:24 09/11/2014
I honestly don't understand the point of this. Next we'll be seeing transparent humans walking around. Could you imagine that? Creepy as ****, man.
---
ϟ Break my heart, break me til I fall apart. ϟ
LegoLander Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#26 Posted: 23:42:19 09/11/2014
Quote: breakfastpugbam
they died for a bad cause
comare animals and earth before and after humans. im glad im not a human cuz they are ******

So you'd rather we never discovered anything about life?
Also, don't deny it. You're a human.
---
The person who finally changed his Christmas avatar. Give me a cookie.
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#27 Posted: 08:03:44 10/11/2014
Still not sure what the hubbub is all about...

- Did anyone who ever pitched a fit about killing mice to save human lives ever have a mouse infestation in their home or farmhouse? Or own a cat, snake, or other animal that can catch and digest at least one mouse per day?

- Would any of us let our newborn child die, rather than experiment mice into extinction to find a cure to save them?

- There will be no clear-skinned humans; the process mercifully kills the animal, enables the invaluable ability to study tissue and organs intact, and is a massive leap towards keeping our loved ones alive.
---
1Jn47
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:05:00 10/11/2014 by Plordigian
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#28 Posted: 19:00:28 10/11/2014
Quote: AmethystRose
I honestly don't understand the point of this. Next we'll be seeing transparent humans walking around. Could you imagine that? Creepy as ****, man.

You won't see transparent humans walking about because in order to become transparent you'd die in the process.
#29 Posted: 19:09:05 10/11/2014

The point is that as of right now in order to see what's wrong with someone involving their organs, you have to cut them open in what could be unnecessary or even risky surgery. If they can inject a serum in you that turns your skin transparent for a temporary amount of time so they can see what ails you without having to slice you open, it can save time, resources, money, and reduce risk of surgical complications.
#30 Posted: 20:18:10 10/11/2014 | Topic Creator

The point is that as of right now in order to see what's wrong with someone involving their organs, you have to cut them open in what could be unnecessary or even risky surgery. If they can inject a serum in you that turns your skin transparent for a temporary amount of time so they can see what ails you without having to slice you open, it can save time, resources, money, and reduce risk of surgical complications.

I can imagine this going wrong.

"Oh hey Jim how are you doing- WHOA MAN WHAT'S WITH YOUR SKIN"

"The effects didn't wear off, didn't they Bob?"
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me