Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Anyone good with MacBook Airs? [CLOSED]
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7728
#1 Posted: 17:08:49 05/11/2014 | Topic Creator
I just brought The Sims 2 and I installed it, only to get the message "You cannot open this application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Is there any way of being able to play this game on my laptop, or have I just wasted £12?
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#2 Posted: 17:19:49 05/11/2014
That seems to happen when the PowerPC file is outdated when you update the Mac's OS X. Which OS X are you running BTW?
#3 Posted: 17:27:43 05/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyro Fanatic
That seems to happen when the PowerPC file is outdated when you update the Mac's OS X. Which OS X are you running BTW?

---
oh my god
#4 Posted: 17:43:31 05/11/2014
Quote: Jaggedstar

Oh, Mavericks. Apple removed software called "Rosetta" for "PowerPC" applications (which is basically software that allows older programs to run on a newer system) with the release of Lion.

So you need to find a patch made for Sims 2 that upgrades the application to an x86 intel program.

According to this site, Sims 2 does have a patch which allows it to work on Mavericks. I however haven't searched for it. If you find it, that's all you'll need to do.
#5 Posted: 18:40:21 05/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Jaggedstar

Oh, Mavericks. Apple removed software called "Rosetta" for "PowerPC" applications (which is basically software that allows older programs to run on a newer system) with the release of Lion.

So you need to find a patch made for Sims 2 that upgrades the application to an x86 intel program.

According to this site, Sims 2 does have a patch which allows it to work on Mavericks. I however haven't searched for it. If you find it, that's all you'll need to do.

That website is for downloading The Sims 2 online, and I've already brought the disc. Is there a way to download Rosetta, do you know?
---
oh my god
#6 Posted: 16:38:35 06/11/2014
Rosetta is only made to work on OS X software predating Lion, so it's impossible to make it run.

From what I've seen you have two options. You can either search for a patch or instructions that updates/changes The Sims 2 from a PowerPC file that only Rosetta could read into a 86x Intel file that all intel based Macs (which I believe is all of them now) can read.

Or, you could partition your hard-drive and install Snow Leopard (Apple's OS X released before Lion) that still has Rosetta on it and play The Sims 2 there. You can even instal a Windows OS if you can't get Snow Leopard to work.

If you want to partition the hard-drive, read up on Apple's "Boot Camp." I partitioned mine a while ago so I can't recall specific details other than the process being very easy.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:43:35 06/11/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
#7 Posted: 19:14:10 06/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks so much for your help. I will try partitioning it (because I actually know how to do that) and the other things you suggested, if all else fails I'll just go buy a cheaper, older laptop smilie
---
oh my god
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me