Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The Amiibo's look like ****ing ****
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
The Amiibo's look like ****ing **** [CLOSED]
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#1 Posted: 23:11:03 28/10/2014 | Topic Creator
anyone else see the final build quality? that for $12 is a ****ing joke
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#2 Posted: 23:16:28 28/10/2014
[User Posted Image]

Well, that's what happens when you mass produce things. It's the same with most other toys, they make a few prototypes and then mass produce them with cheaper materials, can't say I'm surprised.

I'm still buying them though, just for the functionality you get in game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:16:50 28/10/2014 by LunarDistortion
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8480
#3 Posted: 23:34:13 28/10/2014
[User Posted Image]
WHY IS THE STICK YELLOW!
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#4 Posted: 23:56:35 28/10/2014
Quote: zer0dch
anyone else see the final build quality? that for $12 is a ****ing joke

If you expect a high quality product for $12, you're a ****ing joke.
---
words. letters. filler.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 00:24:29 29/10/2014
wow, they do.
SackBoy01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#6 Posted: 00:56:02 29/10/2014
Quote: somePerson
[User Posted Image]
WHY IS THE STICK YELLOW!

That isn't a stick.......he isn't potty trained......JK It looks really weird though o.O
---
ded
#7 Posted: 04:18:33 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I'll probably still buy one...but someone, please convince me as to WHY I should even want one.

CPU fighting against a CPU? For what?
#8 Posted: 04:32:32 29/10/2014
I'll probably still buy one...but someone, please convince me as to WHY I should even want one.

Personal training buddy, as well as extra content for other certain games.
#9 Posted: 05:58:31 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: LunarDistortion

**** that, I have friends for that. I'll buy one if they actually make a game that is similar to Skylanders or something where I can use the characters for a huge benefit.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#10 Posted: 15:08:02 29/10/2014
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

Skylanders are pretty good quality and detail for $8. They look to have better quality than the amiibos here.

Unfortunately I would probably end up striking out in my purchases, since the intention was to buy my mains. Unless Star Fox Wii U will have ship personalization and the ability to choose your character, I don't think a Falco amiibo will have much use outside of Smash.

Amiibos are hard enough for me to justify buying, but it's made worse when I realize the characters I would buy are those who will probably never have a game where the use of amiibo is necessary (the lone exception being Kirby).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:08:57 29/10/2014 by CAV
#11 Posted: 16:11:16 29/10/2014
Quote: CAV

Skylanders are pretty good quality and detail for $8. They look to have better quality than the amiibos here.

Except this is Nintendo, and they're new to the interactive figurine business, while Activision has 4 years of experience, so of course there's are better quality.
---
words. letters. filler.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#12 Posted: 19:57:49 29/10/2014
Well to be honest I think even the prototypes had varying quality anyway.

And the Peach one still doesn't look half bad. Only the face really bothers me a bit (a little squished looking).

However, there is NOOOOO excusing Kirby's mouth being off center (unless I was seeing an isolated, badly made copy that just got messed up).

As long as Rosalina, Sonic, Mega Man, and Duck Hunt Duo look OK, then I will be fine. Those are the definite purchases for me. And if my brother doesn't get Link, I'll get him too since he will be usable in Smash, MK8, and Hyrule Warriors.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#13 Posted: 20:40:39 29/10/2014

Except this is Nintendo, and they're new to the interactive figurine business, while Activision has 4 years of experience, so of course there's are better quality.

Even when Skylanders first started the detail on the figures was pretty good, and looked better than what the amiibos are appearing to be.
#14 Posted: 23:02:58 29/10/2014

Even when Skylanders first started the detail on the figures was pretty good, and looked better than what the amiibos are appearing to be.

Such quality.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
words. letters. filler.
#15 Posted: 22:01:42 30/10/2014
Quote: Pixilism

Such quality.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

showing us pictures of the bad apples doesnt prove any point

Not all of the Amiibo's look bad, in fact, some look pretty good like Fox here.

[User Posted Image]
#16 Posted: 22:33:13 30/10/2014
Yoshi is definitely my favourite looking one, pretty much looks perfect, like he didn't even get a downgrade. And since I think he's a very effective character (and I love him out of Smash anyway), I think I'll make him my first Amiibo. Plus, he'll be useable in Mario games, as well as Yoshi's Wooly World.
---
#17 Posted: 22:34:31 30/10/2014
Quote: Pixilism

Such quality.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

showing us pictures of the bad apples doesnt prove any point

Not all of the Amiibo's look bad, in fact, some look pretty good like Fox here.

[User Posted Image]

He looks cute.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#18 Posted: 01:33:36 31/10/2014
I was never interested in these to begin with, so I don't particularly care about this. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#19 Posted: 17:57:08 31/10/2014
were people seriously expecting the same quality as alter or good smile??? ewwwww ur all bakas
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:06:56 31/10/2014 by Blackholes_Wolf
#20 Posted: 05:25:30 01/11/2014
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
were people seriously expecting the same quality as alter or good smile??? ewwwww ur all bakas

I was expecting the kind of quality that warrants $13.

Or at least quality of Skylanders.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#21 Posted: 20:46:18 01/11/2014
Meh, at least they actually use metallic paint (I'm looking at you, DI 2.0 Iron Man.). Gotta love shiny stuff. :3

But yeah. Nothing is perfect. They (obviously) try to lower production costs in any way possible.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#22 Posted: 04:16:43 07/11/2014
[User Posted Image]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#23 Posted: 04:52:45 07/11/2014
Quote: arceustheprime
[User Posted Image]

A lot of people are hoping GoodSmile opens pre-orders for the Lucina Figma soon. She was announced quite some time ago.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:54:56 07/11/2014 by Seiki
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#24 Posted: 14:04:16 08/11/2014

At least they're better handled than skylanders.
---
Cool cool.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#25 Posted: 15:47:57 08/11/2014

Such quality.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

You forgot this lovely quality owned by yours truly.

[User Posted Image]
#26 Posted: 20:39:39 08/11/2014
[User Posted Image]

Most of them are actually very good IMO, but poor Marth...
---
#27 Posted: 21:22:00 08/11/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182
[User Posted Image]

Wow..
#28 Posted: 22:04:23 08/11/2014
[User Posted Image]

See that's really ****ing good and I want it.

Quote: pankakesparx456

Enlighten me. How?
#29 Posted: 23:08:52 08/11/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

Such quality.
-snip-

You forgot this lovely quality owned by yours truly.

[User Posted Image]

That looks like the same exact ****.
---
words. letters. filler.
#30 Posted: 01:03:09 09/11/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182
[User Posted Image]

Hey Marth, buddy...

You...

You don't look yourself...
#31 Posted: 03:02:07 09/11/2014
[User Posted Image]

See that's really ****ing good and I want it.

Enlighten me. How?

Because they're optional and add just enough to a game that it can basically be seen as a bonus for said game. For skylanders, you're required at least one figure to play, and as far as I know, you need certain types of skylanders in order to get any extras within the game. Amiibos don't add much to the game itself and you could live your whole game life without owning one. This is how I think NFC figures should work in the gaming industry. They should add to the game, but not to the point where they're required. Nintendo knew this previously when they released figures for Pokemon Rumble U, and Angry Birds when they released figures that could add extra birds to levels. Skyanders and Disney infinity require at least one figurine to play, otherwise you're pretty much screwed and can't even play the game.
---
Cool cool.
breakfastpugbam Blue Sparx Gems: 973
#32 Posted: 22:26:28 09/11/2014
what are these used for
---
You can't compete with all that puginess.
All the pugginess was had that day.
#33 Posted: 03:47:16 10/11/2014
Quote: breakfastpugbam
what are these used for

google it.
---
words. letters. filler.
#34 Posted: 05:39:12 10/11/2014 | Topic Creator
what are these used for

google it.

r u okay shirtless shrek
#35 Posted: 22:33:10 10/11/2014
Nintendo is teaming up with LootCrate to deliver you some amiibo.
http://www.lootcrate.com/amiibo
---
#36 Posted: 01:51:08 11/11/2014
what are these used for

google it.

r u okay shirtless shrek

i am but people are ignorant and wait an hour to get a reply on a skylander forum when they can get the answer in a few seconds on google
---
words. letters. filler.
#37 Posted: 13:31:40 11/11/2014
More amiibos have been revealed:

[User Posted Image]

Quality definitely varies. Bowser, Shulk, and Sonic (stubby arms and big nose) don't look amazing from this picture. Meta Knight, Dedede, Toon Link, Lucario, and Rosalina look great though.

And someone found a close up of the Rosalina one. I'll post other close-ups when I find them.

[User Posted Image]
---
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#38 Posted: 13:41:44 11/11/2014
META KNIGHT AGH

GIVE ME IT NOW NINTENDO
---
you never saw me
#39 Posted: 14:14:00 11/11/2014
Also, Toon Link is confirmed to work with MK8.

Toon Link, Zelda, and Sheik have also been confirmed to have special functionality with Hyrule Warriors.

Sonic, Mega Man, and Shulk are part of wave four, being released to Japan in February. The rest are wave three, being released to Japan on January 22nd.

Also, the Wii U got a firmware update today that adds Amiibo support.

And a major drawback of Amiibo has been announced - Amiibos can only hold written data for one game at a time. What this means is that should Mario Party 10, for example, write data to the Mario Amiibo, then this means you will need to delete your Smash Bros data from him to do so. However, this poses no problems for games like Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors, since they merely read the Amiibo to unlock in game content.

Now while this does sound fatal at first glance, from what I heard, games like Smash Bros can actually save your Amiibos data on the system. If this is true, then this is not a big deal, and simply means the Amiibos themselves are more of small, portable storage for data, for when you want to go to a friend's house and play a particular game. Hopefully, this is the case.

EDIT: For any of you collectors out there - boxed Amiibo cannot be scanned into the game:

---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:48:02 11/11/2014 by sonicbrawler182
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#40 Posted: 17:01:22 11/11/2014
Has anyone seen the huge cast on the Wii fit ladies leg ? Gross!
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
#41 Posted: 18:15:08 11/11/2014
Lucario and Mega Man don't look that great, but Ike and Meta Knight are beautiful.
#42 Posted: 18:22:26 11/11/2014
I'll hold doubts. Those are promotional images or prototypes. Let's not forget that we thought wave one was gonna look that good, and then it didn't happen.

Because they're optional and add just enough to a game that it can basically be seen as a bonus for said game. For skylanders, you're required at least one figure to play, and as far as I know, you need certain types of skylanders in order to get any extras within the game. Amiibos don't add much to the game itself and you could live your whole game life without owning one. This is how I think NFC figures should work in the gaming industry. They should add to the game, but not to the point where they're required. Nintendo knew this previously when they released figures for Pokemon Rumble U, and Angry Birds when they released figures that could add extra birds to levels. Skyanders and Disney infinity require at least one figurine to play, otherwise you're pretty much screwed and can't even play the game.

That is true, but how does that justify the purchase of amiibo, especially when they're more expensive than Skylanders? They're completely optional, like you said, and the bonuses they offer do little to nothing as it stands. So there's far less reason to buy amiibo other than because you can't find a decent figure of your favorite character (i.e. Falco).

Skylanders have a purpose in that you need them to play the game, and their stats and data carry over to the figure so you can take it wherever you want. Amiibo cost more and have a purpose that means little. That's poorly handled and has you question why they made it at all.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:25:48 11/11/2014 by CAV
#43 Posted: 18:37:04 11/11/2014
Quote:
I'll hold doubts. Those are promotional images or prototypes. Let's not forget that we thought wave one was gonna look that good, and then it didn't happen.

They're not the prototypes, they are production.

Shulk outright has "Marth face" (though the rest of him seems fine).

And even though the Rosalina and Luma one looks beautiful, it has some obvious "mass production drawbacks" - the wand is very thick, the star on the wand is also quite blocky and has white filling instead of being hollow, both Rosalina and Luma have obnoxiously large stands (not present on prototypes, they were much thinner on prototypes), and the point between Rosalina's chest and belly has a disjoint, and these kinds of disjoints were not there on the prototypes.

Also, her eyes are not 100% correctly lined up with Luma, but I think that was unavoidable considering the size of the stand.
---
#44 Posted: 18:55:46 11/11/2014
But then why are the lines that hold them up clear rather than yellow like wave one supposedly will have?
#45 Posted: 20:22:59 11/11/2014
Awesome. I definately want the Rosalina and maybe the Shulk ones.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#46 Posted: 20:53:34 11/11/2014
Has the playablity ONLY out of package been confirmed?
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#47 Posted: 21:06:22 11/11/2014
Quote: skylander_chaos

Do you mean as in unboxed?
---
you never saw me
#48 Posted: 21:22:27 11/11/2014
Quote: skylander_chaos

Watch the vid that was posted.

There's some metallic strip under the figure in the box that prevents the figure from being scanned while in the package.
---
#49 Posted: 22:02:50 11/11/2014

That is true, but how does that justify the purchase of amiibo, especially when they're more expensive than Skylanders? They're completely optional, like you said, and the bonuses they offer do little to nothing as it stands. So there's far less reason to buy amiibo other than because you can't find a decent figure of your favorite character (i.e. Falco).

Skylanders have a purpose in that you need them to play the game, and their stats and data carry over to the figure so you can take it wherever you want. Amiibo cost more and have a purpose that means little. That's poorly handled and has you question why they made it at all.

I never clarified what I did think of the amiibos, my fault on that one.

Personally, I see them as harmless. As I said, they add just enough so that they aren't required. But the price is outrageous for something that adds so little to a game. In the long run it does make Nintendo more money, but for older players like us, almost $13 is a ripoff for something that should be priced around $5 with what they offer.

I say this because I meant to say I love the amiibos in CONCEPT. Having NFC figures basically be an add on for bonus content is how figures should be handled. They shouldn't be required to beat a game, let alone complete it(as in completionists who get every collectible and unlockable possible) like Skylanders and Infinity, even if they do store more data. It bothers me a lot that Nintendo is asking so much for figurines that only do so little when their competitors, which I think have worse concepts, can perform so much more in their respective games for less.

Not to say I'll at least invest in one. I plan on eventually getting the Kirby figure as he's always been my favorite fighter, and I'm interested to see how they work out in Smash Wii U. But I don't plan on getting any other figure unless duck hunt dog gets one.
---
Cool cool.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me