Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Police corruption project [CLOSED]
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#1 Posted: 19:42:30 28/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm working on a Government project involving police corruption.

I just need you guys to answer the following questions with either yes or no. Also I would like to know your age, race, and gender you identify yourself as. (Real age, real race, and the gender you identify yourself as.) I need at least 25 people/users to answer this. Also these are yes and no questions, please say yes or no to them if fully decided on your answer. You may give out your opinion on it, as long as it has yes or no on it.

1. Should the government step in and punish the corrupt police force?

2. Should people record the corrupt officer, while the officer is harassing the citizen?

3. Should the officer be punished for more than 1-4 years in jail. (For bribes, murder, etc. For those that never did read the bolded message that was posted in 2 other posts.)?

4. Should officers be retrained to use their tasers more?

5. Should police officers ban tattoos because of gangs?

Thank you for looking.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:06:05 28/10/2014 by Trix Master 100
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7713
#2 Posted: 19:59:55 28/10/2014
Race: White

1. Yes. You're being wrongly harassed by a police officer and there's nothing you yourself can do about it. Unless the government steps in, you'll have to fight really hard to get justice.
2. Yes. With recorded evidence, action will be taken further instead of just left and forgotten about.
3. YES. The officer has broken the law themselves and is obviously not fit to take the law into their hands and punish people.
4. Yes. For added safety.
5. No. Not all tattoos are gang symbols.
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 20:04:07 28/10/2014
I'm going to try and be really nice, but honest at the same time.

Your questions are pretty one sided and will very much skew your results for this project.

1) Umm... is there anyone who would possibly answer this with anything aside from a "Yes"? Without a real definition of "corruption", even a slightly corrupt individual will point at those who are worse and call for them to be punished. And what "government" are you proposing to do the punishment? Local, state, federal or international? Should local governments be in charge of determining punishment for local police forces, or should it go up one level? And if it goes up one level, who is in charge of determining punishment for federal police forces?

2) This one is a slightly better question - though I think it should be asked more generally. I don't think there's many (non-corrupt police officers, of course) who wouldn't support this - but the question really isn't about "should people be allowed to record police doing bad things" - it's "should people be allowed to record the police" (which, IMHO, is a "yes"). It would be hard to create and enforce any kind of law where "Recording police doing bad = okay, recording police doing nothing/good = bad". And what if the police are in my home - who has a right to record them? Only me? Should a stranger on the street be allowed in to record? What if I don't want that stranger recording in my home? What if I do?

3) Bad question. What did the officer do? Use his badge to get a free doughnut? No, I don't think our legal systems and overcrowded prisons need to be filled up with doughnut-stealing cops. Did he pepperspray a bunch of protesting kids who did nothing more than mouth him off? Perhaps. Did he throw a flashbomb into a baby's crib in the wrong house? Yes.

4) Yes. And anyone who knows anything about law enforcement will answer this yes. Just like firearms, officers should be retrained at least annually on using their tasers, both as a refresher and to gain additional knowledge (like, new models, etc.)

5) What? Police don't have that authority.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:19:57 28/10/2014 by UncleBob
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#4 Posted: 20:23:38 28/10/2014
Race: Caucasian

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depends on the offense, but yes he/she should be punished accordingly.
4. Yes
5. No
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#5 Posted: 20:31:09 28/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I should have revised the third question. But since the topic is of corruption. I kind of meant like murder over race, bribes, you know a lot problematic issues that are going on as of now.

@Unclebob - last I checked doughnut stores voluntarily gave policemen doughnuts.

Edit: I should answer more questions than make 'em. I'm looking at users at least above the age of 11. Also the questions may seem like pure one answer questions, but their not since everyone has an opinion. I mean one can say no, to retraining and just replace all the officers.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:23:57 28/10/2014 by Trix Master 100
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#6 Posted: 21:04:44 28/10/2014
Race: Latino

1) Yes
2) Of course
3) Depends of the offense. Police should be treated like normal citizens.
4) Yes, of course it depends on the gravity of the situation.
5) No of course not, that's stupid.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#7 Posted: 21:06:12 28/10/2014

Should the government step in and punish the corrupt police force?
Yes. In my opinion, being a corrupt officer is a crime, and should be treated like one.

Should people record the corrupt officer, while the officer is harassing the citizen?
Yes, because you can't properly prosecute someone without evidence.

Should the officer be punished for more than 1-4 years?
Depends on the offense.

Should officers be retrained to use their tasers more?
Again, depends. Sometimes tasers just don't cut it. Leaning towards yes on this one though.

Should police officers ban tattoos because of gangs?
No. Not all people who have tattoos are in gangs. It isnt fair to punish the public for the offense of a few.
darkwolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 7080
#8 Posted: 21:12:24 28/10/2014
White
Male

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depends on the offense
4. Yes
5. No
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#9 Posted: 21:12:39 28/10/2014
Race: White/Asian

yes
id rather them do something rather than record, but yes if nothing can be done
yes
yes
no
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:27:26 29/10/2014 by Ninpire
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#10 Posted: 21:56:59 28/10/2014
Race: Asian/White

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depending on the crime
4. Aren't they already?
5: no
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#11 Posted: 22:36:21 28/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Re posting this bit: I should have revised the third question. But since the topic is of corruption. I kind of meant like murder over race, bribes, you know a lot problematic issues that are going on as of now. perhaps I should just edit the question in the first post.

Quote: Pixilism

could you elaborate more? ban tattoos from people within the police force or ban tattoos in general? for the latter, what does that have to do with anything else you asked? i'd say no to both of them.

Because apparently when I read on a news article regarding corrupt police. Tattoos were a sign of gangs, making some officers think that whoever is wearing a tattoo is out to either shoot an officer, or to make an officer part of the gang by force. So basically banning from the public altogether kind of deal.

Quote: Ninpire

i dont get this question

Well officers recently are more likely to pull out the gun than a taser. Thus why I made the question.

Also guys, it's okay to reply with a sentence of your opinion to why, but could you perhaps say Yes/No then add on your opinion? So I can at least tell what you meant by that? Thank you.
---
icon from Empoh
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#12 Posted: 22:49:37 28/10/2014
Race: Caucasian/Hispanic

1. Of course. The question is more about if entire police forces are corrupt, or if it's just a few bad apples within that force.

2. Yes. There shouldn't be an issue with recording police doing their job on public. However I do also believe that if the video can be used as evidence in a criminal case or even a case of police corruption (and something is being done about it), it may not be best to post it publicly online.

3. What do you define as punishing them? A suspension of their duties or jail time? A prison sentence should only be necessary if the officer in question commits a crime severe enough to warrant such (assault and battery, murder, etc.). Otherwise a suspension, fine, or full relieving of duties will suffice. Sending an officer to an overfilled prison for performing a stop and frisk on someone without valid reason or warrant is a bit overkill.

4. Most officers are already aware that firearms are to be used as a last resort when the suspect is armed, dangerous, and showing clear aggression and intent to harm or kill someone. Some officers certainly do need to be retrained on the importance of a taser or pepper spray in place of that firearm, but I believe that to be a minority that are just trigger happy and paranoid.
But if you mean retraining officers in the sense of officers that have specifically shown aggression with a firearm in the past and have proven themselves as potentially dangerous, then no they should not be retrained, and should be fired instead.

5. The police have no say on that matter. They don't make laws, they just enforce them. That being said, no. I didn't even know this was an issue/debate.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:50:14 28/10/2014 by CAV
Cynderluv8801 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3305
#13 Posted: 23:18:24 28/10/2014
Race: Caucasian

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Yes. If regular citizens get put into jail for over 4 years because of murder, so should police.
4. Yes!
5. No.
---
~ Nami One-Trick ~
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#14 Posted: 00:35:22 29/10/2014
Race: Eh, I see myself as "Human"...xP

Sure. They really could use some punishing...
So, YES. (If only though... >.< )

Should people record the corrupt officer, while the officer is harassing the citizen?
Well, for proof, yes. But they should also help, not just stand there and watch..

Should the officer be punished for more than 1-4 years in jail. (For bribes, murder, etc. For those that never did read the bolded message that was posted in 2 other posts.)?
Only 1/4 years?
Well, I would choose something a bit more cruel then that, but a lifetime in jail would be good I think. (Or at least many MANY years. e.e )

Should officers be retrained to use their tasers more?
I guess, only if they really need to be able to defend themselves from REAL criminals.
Using them on an innocent person is wrong, and should be treated as such.

Nah, I don't think that really matters....
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#15 Posted: 01:46:40 29/10/2014
Race: Asian

Yes
Yes
Should the officer be punished for more than 1-4 years in jail. (For bribes, murder, etc. For those that never did read the bolded message that was posted in 2 other posts.)?
No
Should officers be retrained to use their tasers more? I missed read this as Restrain.
Yes
No
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:03:16 29/10/2014 by somePerson
#16 Posted: 02:01:03 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: cowpowa23

Only 1/4 years?
Well, I would choose something a bit more cruel then that, but a lifetime in jail would be good I think. (Or at least many MANY years. e.e )

I think mistook the 1-4 years part. 1 year to 4 years is what it meant.
---
icon from Empoh
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#17 Posted: 02:45:49 29/10/2014
Quote: Trix Master 100
Quote: cowpowa23

Only 1/4 years?

I think mistook the 1-4 years part. 1 year to 4 years is what it meant.

I knew that, it was obvious when I first read it. xP
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#18 Posted: 03:20:48 29/10/2014
19 white female

1. yes
2. yes; you have the right to record police
3. yes; they should get the same punishment as anyone else. the badge does not grant extra rights
4. yes, although some use the tasers too much as well
5. no
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:21:15 29/10/2014 by Big Green
#19 Posted: 22:03:23 09/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Sorry to bump. But I got less than 25 valid answer sheets. At least 13 were workable.

But guys when you go to answer these, please fill out, age, gender, and race. Thank you.
---
icon from Empoh
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#20 Posted: 22:06:17 09/12/2014
Race: white

1. Yes
2. 100% yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. Yes
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#21 Posted: 22:45:35 09/12/2014

Yes yes yes yes and no
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#22 Posted: 03:20:55 10/12/2014

1. Definitely
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No
---
but i love it all smooth
#23 Posted: 21:27:30 11/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you 3. Now I have at least 9 more to go.
---
icon from Empoh
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me