Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Abused words and sentences [CLOSED]
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 20:57:27 06/10/2014 | Topic Creator
This isn't about cliches like "Don't judge a book by it's cover", it's more on the lines of calling some a troll or a social justice warrior, which is just a way of saying "I don't agree with your opinion and your opinion is wrong."

Seriously, it's still relevant to talk about representations of women in gaming and people will call you a SJW as a means to you feel bad and stop talking, just so they can continue some irrelevant status quo.

Another problem I see is with abusing the words "no personality" to describe characters they don't like, especially when it comes to Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning. Apparently, being calm, cool or bitter translates to having no personality. Then what about Auron from X? Does this mean he has no personality too?

I wanna hear your opinions words, joined words and sentences abused, to the point of losing all meaning, on the internet.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 21:33:21 06/10/2014
I agree that there's a problem with people taking any opinion defending feminism or equal rights in the direction of women an SJW. That being said actual SJWs exist and give feminism and all related ideas a bad name. And it doesn't help when they do the same thing by accusing everyone who disagrees with them an MRA.

On topic: "That's just, like, your opinion, man"

Yes it is an opinion. Claiming it's an opinion doesn't make my thoughts any less valid and you don't get cool points for pointing it out.

Also don't like the "if you don't like it don't buy it/don't listen to it/don't play it/go somewhere else". Typically to not like it you have to have experienced it so it's too late already.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#3 Posted: 22:09:13 06/10/2014
"Rosalina is Nintendo's Lightning"

At this point, I'm not even sure people understand what they are talking about when they say this. Lightning hasn't been promoted heavily in many games outside of, you know, her own series (and heck, she took a huge backseat in FFXIII-2, she gets about 20 minutes of screen time in this 20+ hour game).

Rosalina also hasn't been in a whole lot. She's just passed the 10 game mark. Which is a very small amount for a Mario/Nintendo character. Granted, she's showing up in the biggest games, but why is that a problem? People love her, and she's the only main character who debuted in the main series to actually be interesting within the main series. Except for Luigi, who was actually interesting in Galaxy, but Rosalina is still much more noteable in this regard. I would also say Bowser and his son, but Sunshine squandered this.

"Rosalina is Space/Blue/Emo Peach"

Please get glasses, look at the two side by side, and then also compare their backstories.

I mean FFS, Rosalina is nearly 8 feet tall.

"Daisy is an underrated character, deserves to be in the main Mario series"

I have nothing particularly against her, but she doesn't deserve anything, as she's never done anything to get any really warranted love beyond shallow interest. Peach was the first Super Mario female, and was developed into a distinct character thereafter (she's still misrepresented in the biggest Mario games, but she's really cool in almost anything else). Rosalina was arguably the main character of the original Super Mario Galaxy, which is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time (99% of the game's plot elements revolve around her), had a thought provoking and touching backstory, interesting personality, and cool factor (immortal deity with control over the cosmos themselves) right from the get go. But she also had an appealing design that basically deserves any phrase you would use to complement a woman's appearance, and she has a cute factor in how she is the adoptive mother of the adorable (but also interesting) Lumas.

Daisy is just a character that is consistently referred to as a tomboy, which makes her sound one note in and of itself, but she RARELY displays this quality regardless of it's potential appeal anyway. At this point, she's literally just player 2 Peach. That's not me being insulting, that is literally all she's ever been at this point.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#4 Posted: 22:30:48 06/10/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182

I'm genuinely curious how one can think this...
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#5 Posted: 22:43:35 06/10/2014
"You're not a true fan!"

AKA 'I don't like your opinion but I have no way to reasonably combat it and I don't feel like agreeing to disagree so therefore your opinion is wrong and mine is right so shut up and admit that I'm right'

I'm sure the term 'true fan' can have some appropriate use...maybe... But I've yet to see it used in such a way.

I'm also really bothered by SJW/MRA being thrown around the way they are. 'I disagree with your views and therefore you're automatically a SJW/MRA and therefore I don't have to pay attention to anything you say so shut up already'

Be nice if people didn't give the fight for equal rights of any kind a bad name, but what can ya do. :/

watch me edit this later to remove the part about SJWs and MRAs because that's a hornet's nest that I don't like poking
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:44:38 06/10/2014 by IsisStormDragon
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#6 Posted: 00:08:16 07/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
I agree that there's a problem with people taking any opinion defending feminism or equal rights in the direction of women an SJW. That being said actual SJWs exist and give feminism and all related ideas a bad name. And it doesn't help when they do the same thing by accusing everyone who disagrees with them an MRA.

On topic: "That's just, like, your opinion, man"

Yes it is an opinion. Claiming it's an opinion doesn't make my thoughts any less valid and you don't get cool points for pointing it out.

Also don't like the "if you don't like it don't buy it/don't listen to it/don't play it/go somewhere else". Typically to not like it you have to have experienced it so it's too late already.

You're right. Ones who are actual SWJs are a real problem.

Another problem with the "Don't like, don't buy it" shtick is when that sentence is put into action, the product doesn't well because people refuse to support it, said people are then blamed for the poor sales and get dog-piled by the supporters for... doing exactly what they said.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#7 Posted: 05:34:56 07/10/2014
Basically anything that people say "for the effect", but don't really even mean/understand. That's an inaccurate way of distributing information at times when you should be presenting your case clearly (in other words, when you're in a serious discussion and not joking around).

Ultimately it's a defensive tactic. People do it to convey disagreement, but they also do it to shield themselves from disagreements. They're not willing to consider the fact that they might be wrong, and that leads nowhere.
I think it's also important to see past this and not sperg out over it when it happens because, let's face it, we've all done it at one point or another. It's how our brains are wired. No-one likes cognitive dissonance, even though learning new things through being corrected is a good thing, so we ******** ourselves.
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#8 Posted: 18:02:23 07/10/2014
Gay is an overused word which isn't nice to call people really as it shouldn't be used as an insult.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#9 Posted: 14:24:39 08/10/2014
"Smogon sucks and bans everything"

It's everywhere I look e.e
#10 Posted: 17:52:01 08/10/2014
Quote: CAV
Quote: sonicbrawler182

I'm genuinely curious how one can think this...

Because of the bang over her right eye.

And because she has a tragic backstory, so apparently that automatically makes her "emo".
---
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#11 Posted: 21:12:27 08/10/2014
"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Guess I should pay taxes to the British then.

If we didn't have criticism we'd have a lot more movies like Animals United then Toy Story 3.

"You can't do better!"

I don't need to be able to do better to be able to tell it's bad. It doesn't matter how much effort you put into it, it still sucks.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#12 Posted: 23:11:21 08/10/2014
Quote:
"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

This quote isn't supposed to be taken absolutely. In the proper context, it's a completely sensible suggestion.
---
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#13 Posted: 23:59:26 08/10/2014
Quote: MoonHorizons
"You can't do better!"

I don't need to be able to do better to be able to tell it's bad. It doesn't matter how much effort you put into it, it still sucks.

I was just coming into this topic to mention this. I read the FB comments for Face Off sometimes so I hear the "shut up, i bet you can't do any better so you have no right to have a negative opinion about someone's art!!!!!!!!" stuff pretty often. Same with books/stories, all kinds of art, etc.

I realize that it's nice to know a little bit about art or successful literature before criticizing a piece you find inferior so that you may be able to provide suggestions for the artist/author to improve. Still, I don't think I need to be super creative, be able to professionally manipulate clay into an appealing archetype, and know how mold, set, and apply it to a live model in order to be able to say, "oh, I didn't like __'s work this week, the sculpt was pretty terrible and the concept boring and nonsensical" or something like that, lmao
---
but i love it all smooth
#14 Posted: 00:41:58 11/10/2014
When people keep citing Game Theory's Rosalina episodes as gospel even where it had no reason to be brought up, and when the Theorists treat the episode as their pride and joy, even though it's objectively one of their worst episodes.
---
Ghakimx Emerald Sparx Gems: 4064
#15 Posted: 09:02:58 11/10/2014
Two of the biggest grammatical errors that are prevalent in Singapore: "-color" and "free gift".

The first one is the redundant use of the word color to describe the adjective is a color. For example:

"Do you see the red colored bag?"

Red by itself is already a word that is a color, so it's redundant to say "colored". It would only be appropriate if the previous word was an adjective that isn't a color or could be identified as one. For example:

"Do you see the dark/light/bright colored bag?"

This would be the correct usage of the word. Now stop being retarded by constantly saying this!

"Free gift" is the most prominent oxymoron in Singapore. It's pushed for advertisements EVERYWHERE for some reason. For example:

"Buy x and get a free gift!"

The word "gift" is something or an object given to someone else voluntarily and without charge whatsoever. So if I say I'm giving you a gift, I'm giving it to you regardless of the circumstances and cost. Having to pay x to obtain y isn't a gift but in fact an inclusive package of some sort. Therefore

"Buy x and get y free!"

SO RETARDED, ARGH.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me