darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Toys For Bob thinks we like playing slow, lumbering characters...
Page 1 of 1
Toys For Bob thinks we like playing slow, lumbering characters...
plebeianprint Blue Sparx Gems: 676
#1 Posted: 01:35:24 06/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Trap Team is giving me major Giants flashbacks. Perhaps it's my own personal play style, but I prefer faster characters with range options. I play on hard/nightmare, where skylanders, especially new, low level figures generally cannot trade blows standing toe to toe with the enemy.

I own six trap masters, and they all seem to play in the same style as the giants the second game was titled for: they're slow; they're agonizingly slow. Traveling levels, or worse, the hub world, with these characters bores and frustrates me. They have little dodge capabilities. Many of them can barely move faster than "seeking" enemies.

This being the first title after Swap Force seems to exacerbate the feeling. In Swap Force the key figures were all fairly mobile. Now, I will be the first person to admit that they were all fairly over-powered, so maybe this is the price that we pay for a more balanced game. However, I want mainstay characters that are important to the title's objective, and that can move with more speed than a tortoise eating molasses in a tar pit.

Am I alone in feeling this way? At least in Giants the core characters were powerful enough to finish fights on nightmare, and could open elemental gates.

Thanks.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 01:42:31 06/10/2014
Either it's the "kid dumbing down" stance, or the combat system needs some serious rework. Having balance in this game doesn't feel like it was a priority since you're basically fighting a ton of random enemies.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#3 Posted: 01:46:43 06/10/2014
Nope, I too noticed how slow the Trap Masters were. Best bet would be to find one that has an attack that gives slight momentum and spam that to get around ala rolling as Link in Zelda games.
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
#4 Posted: 01:52:16 06/10/2014
Well, at least the good news is it promotes a tag partner villain with agility to assist.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#5 Posted: 01:54:49 06/10/2014
Jawbreaker has a bit of a surge forward move, like Tree Rex's sorta but better I think.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#6 Posted: 02:15:38 06/10/2014
As a Sonic fan who grew up with the franchise so much, I want things to go fast. When there's an upgrade path with a speed upgrade in it, I get it, no matter how crappy that path can be. I don't do heroics much, but I make sure everyone does the speed challenges. When a Skylander gets a hat, it must have speed or bust. So this slowness ticks me off.

GOTTA GO FAST.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
#7 Posted: 02:26:37 06/10/2014
Don't worry, just play those heroics...oh wait.
---
Eggers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1305
#8 Posted: 02:34:31 06/10/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

My thoughts (and disappointments) exactly! Giants may have been slow and lumbering, but with speed heroics you could fix that about them. With them coming up with the worst idea ever to get rid of heroics, what do we really have in order to speed up these slow characters? I'd honestly like to know since I likely won't be playing until Friday. If all we have are a hat, then I'll be entirely disappointed.
---
Rainbows are nature's rainbows!
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#9 Posted: 02:36:28 06/10/2014
Lobstar's lobster roll for the win... yup we just got giants 2.0 here - the cool light core effects...
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
#10 Posted: 02:38:10 06/10/2014
Quote: Eggers
Quote: GhostRoaster

My thoughts (and disappointments) exactly! Giants may have been slow and lumbering, but with speed heroics you could fix that about them. With them coming up with the worst idea ever to get rid of heroics, what do we really have in order to speed up these slow characters? I'd honestly like to know since I likely won't be playing until Friday. If all we have are a hat, then I'll be entirely disappointed.

You'll find out before I do. I hope to get all of the non-spoilers understood before I start my romp later this year.
---
Zauron Green Sparx Gems: 162
#11 Posted: 05:05:40 06/10/2014
Yeah the Trap Masters are mostly pretty lame IMHO (though Short Cut looks cool), and why do they cost as much as Giants did and don't even light up or anything, or have swappable parts like Swap Force figures? I mean really, as far as the toys go they are really no different than slightly larger Core figures with a clear plastic piece, hardly seems like they should cost 70% more when they don't even offer special tech like lighting up or having swappable parts.

And then as you said they actually play like Giants again, but without the extra benefit of being able to lift heavy rocks (still need a Giant to do that even in this game) or smash through gates without needing a bomb, or heck, even do special scripted events like pulling islands closer to you or smashing through floors. No, the only in-game benefit they give is bonus damage vs trappable villains, which is nothing more than a stat tweak, and ability to smash Traptanium, which is pretty unremarkable as far as gimmicks go and much less interesting than either the gimmicks Giants or Swap Force characters offered in their games.

Its no wonder that late in development they suddenly decided to change all the elemental gates to only be open-able by Trap Masters - they must have realized that many people would have no reason to buy them otherwise! Especially those of us that don't care for slow lumbering large characters and also aren't particularly interested in boss fights being over too quickly because of the bonus vs bosses they get.

I must say, I actually REALLY like this game's primary gimmick of trappable villains. I know others don't care for it but I'm really enjoying that aspect. But the Trap Masters feel like a lame extra gimmick that is more frustration than fun. I would have MUCH rather they had just made a bunch more Core Skylanders, kept the Gates working like they always have before, and focused the marketing on just the traps and villains. Every Skylander can trap a villain anyway, the whole Traptanium weapons/bonus damage/Traptanium smashables/Traptanium Elemental Gates just seems like a bunch of unnecessary extra effort to have more than one gimmick in the game and try to squeeze more money out of us. That's why I'm throwing my hands up this time and saying fine, I guess I won't 100% this game like I did the past 3, I'll just have to learn to live without entering most the elemental gates, because I'm not buying the Trap Masters. I'm not the type that collects every Skylander, I just buy ones I like, but I always at least bought enough to be able to see all the game's content before now (1 of each element for SSA, nothing extra needed for Giants, and 1 of each swap force travel power for SF) but this time I'm trying to get over my completionist tendency because I just don't really like most of the Trap Masters at all.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#12 Posted: 05:11:58 06/10/2014
Stink Bomb's speed was increased to the point that he is the fastest character.
Corn_Hornet Yellow Sparx Gems: 1982
#13 Posted: 06:01:15 06/10/2014
They probably like slower characters so these short levels take longer to get through. It gives the illusion that there's more game than there actually is.

What do the legendary treasures do this time around? I've noticed in playthrough videos that they decorate the hub, but do they offer stat boosts of any kind?
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#14 Posted: 06:21:33 06/10/2014
Quote: Failinhearts
As a Sonic fan who grew up with the franchise so much, I want things to go fast. When there's an upgrade path with a speed upgrade in it, I get it, no matter how crappy that path can be. I don't do heroics much, but I make sure everyone does the speed challenges. When a Skylander gets a hat, it must have speed or bust. So this slowness ticks me off.

GOTTA GO FAST.

ME TOO.

Only four of my specially selected team of 22 Skylanders for the first three games do not have a charge move/flight/thrust attack, and those four must JUMP everywhere they go, to at least provide the illusion of increased speed. I purposefully studied the movesets for the Trap Team 'landers, and I'm still adding four more slowpokes in the 16 from TT chosen to join my crew (assuming the light/dark Masters move like they're wearing hammer-pants full of bowling balls. You'd think having wings and four legs would make you fast, but OH NO! Right Scratch/Camo/Slobbergoof/Spy Rise?).
---
1Jn47
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:23:44 06/10/2014 by Plordigian
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#15 Posted: 11:24:24 06/10/2014
While I don't like the idea of the Trap Masters (at least most of them) being slow, since it is in fact kind of a Giants 2.0, I prefer diversity among the Skylanders, with some of them being slow and some fast, for specific reasons.

I have yet to try him, but Snap Shot seems quite fast, for a character of that size.
Also don't forget that bigger creatures cover large distances in less time, because, well, they ARE bigger.

I wouldn't want an hyper speed Tree Rex.
It would partially ruin the his uniqueness.

That's why I mostly HATE charms, in SWAP Force.
They make all the characters feel the same...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#16 Posted: 12:26:01 06/10/2014
Quote: spyrocrash
Stink Bomb's speed was increased to the point that he is the fastest character.

You mean Stink Bomb in Trap Team was tweaked to be fast? I haven't pulled out much of my old collection yet with the exception of a few Giants I had nearby. Interesting.

I'm curious to see if Spy Shift and Spy Jet are still ridiculously overpowered.
GatorShea Green Sparx Gems: 361
#17 Posted: 12:44:37 06/10/2014
I just keep the Sheep Baddie in my trap and swap with him when I want to get moving.
---
PSN: GatorShea Feel free to add me if you play on either the PS3 or PS4.
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#18 Posted: 18:33:39 06/10/2014
In this kind of linear, on the rails fixed progression game I don't mind actually. Plus knowing the levels are shorter, I'm not in any hurry to finish it.
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#19 Posted: 18:53:18 06/10/2014
Dang, thats always been my biggest complaint with this series. Probably why Drobot is my favorite..
#20 Posted: 21:22:31 07/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I also think it's hilarious how Toys For Bob crapped on Swap Force. Why do we have special situations for Giants, but not the swappers? Also, have you seen how tiny TFP made the swapper characters? I swear that Food Fight is taller than half of them.
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#21 Posted: 21:55:49 07/10/2014
Quote: plebeianprint
I also think it's hilarious how Toys For Bob crapped on Swap Force. Why do we have special situations for Giants, but not the swappers? Also, have you seen how tiny TFP made the swapper characters? I swear that Food Fight is taller than half of them.

TFB didn't make Swap Force, Vicarious Visions did.
#22 Posted: 22:12:17 07/10/2014
Quote: Epic popthorn

TFB didn't make Swap Force, Vicarious Visions did.

I believe they know that. They are pointing out that T.F.B. has "crapped on" everything V.V. touched. For the most part I agree. Although they did add a jump attack so there's that.
Jackalope Green Sparx Gems: 262
#23 Posted: 22:17:29 07/10/2014
It's funny. A lot of people here were so happy that Toys For Bob(the so-called "superior" developers) were making Trap Team. Now they're complaining about the decisions they made.

TFB may be better at the toys and physical innovations, but VV are clearly the better game developers.
---
Trap Team Collection: smilie smilie smilie smilie
#24 Posted: 22:22:15 07/10/2014
I've said this before (I totally know I'm not the only one), if T.F.B. worked on the story and V.V. worked on game play and extras it would be a PERFECT game. I doubt they will ever put forth a collaborative effort though. I'm sure Acti is pushing their noses to the grind stone each year to put forth a new title..../dramatic effect.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:22:55 07/10/2014 by Tigorus
#25 Posted: 22:23:42 07/10/2014

You know the same can be said for V.V. with SWAP Force, right?
A lot of SA and Giants characters were heavily nerfed or simply changed in bad ways.

At least this year we get a proper use for Giants, so people cannot say they are just "glorified keys".
Did you really wanted Swappers-only areas, so people who are getting Trap Team as their first game would have whined about that...?

I'm getting more and more convinced that this community will never be satisfied, whatever decision the teams are going to make...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:25:51 07/10/2014 by Drek95
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#26 Posted: 22:24:06 07/10/2014
Quote: Jackalope
It's funny. A lot of people here were so happy that Toys For Bob(the so-called "superior" developers) were making Trap Team. Now they're complaining about the decisions they made.

TFB may be better at the toys and physical innovations, but VV are clearly the better game developers.

but we didnt know that at that moment, before swap force was released tfb was better. but now with the third game from them we see they are not...

they should let tfb do the toys and vv do the game developing from now... but with activision stearing the boat that is not gonna happen i guess...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#27 Posted: 22:31:18 07/10/2014
Quote: CountMoneyBone

but we didnt know that at that moment, before swap force was released tfb was better. but now with the third game from them we see they are not...

they should let tfb do the toys and vv do the game developing from now... but with activision stearing the boat that is not gonna happen i guess...

I'd say:

Toys for Bob:
- character design (NPCs, Skylanders, enemies)
- level design and art style

Vicarious Visions:
- story
- gameplay

But they both have to come up with a permanent damage output scheme.
You cannot have a character that is slow and weak in a game, and fast and powerful in another...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#28 Posted: 22:34:32 07/10/2014
Quote: Drek95

A lot of SA and Giants characters were heavily nerfed or simply changed in bad ways.

At least this year we get a proper use for Giants, so people cannot say they are just "glorified keys".
Did you really wanted Swappers-only areas, so people who are getting Trap Team as their first game would have whined about that...?

I'm getting more and more convinced that this community will never be satisfied, whatever decision the teams will make...

You're over generalizing here. It's not practical to have exclusive content locked behind "old characters". That being said they could have had some Swapper Treasure Chests or Swapper locked turret nodes in Doom Challenge...you know like they have Giant blocked nodes...consistency (or Weasley) is King!!! T.F.B. already made all of their own previously released 48 characters from Giants and SSA not able to unlock the new gates. They can do turret nodes so there's that. I don't so much see what V.V. did as a nerf but more of a balance (my opinion). Yes I understand what nerf is. Wham-Shell's Poseidon Strike used to be stupid broken but they balanced it to make more since. Hell is third strike "mace grind" combo used to do mythic levels of damage. A lot of SSA characters seem better now and to be honest I thought they got better in Swap Force too. Namely Warnado. He sucked (my opinion don't flip out) in SSA but I started playing him again in Swap Force. I think they are screwed either way. When ever you change something you usually please some and piss off others.../ehh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:42:47 07/10/2014 by Tigorus
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#29 Posted: 22:34:34 07/10/2014

I'm getting more and more convinced that this community will never be satisfied, whatever decision the teams will make...

to get things perfect is hopeless i but believe the community and the creators can both meet half way... as long there is no greed and things done unfair. so the paywalls and the nerfing is the first that will have to go. then it must be made sure older main characters always will have a useful and meaningful usage in every game, so they dont get obsolete... that we all can agree on.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Zauron Green Sparx Gems: 162
#30 Posted: 22:34:34 07/10/2014
Personally I think its best to think of it as two heavily related series - the games made by TfB and the games made by VV. It seems like its not worth using TfB's figures in VV's games and vice versa, and they obviously have totally different engines and different strengths and they aren't working together nearly as much as Activision would have us all believe. I'm going to start thinking of TfB's games as the ones with the personality and charm, and VV's games with the solid action gameplay and tons of bonus features, if these trends continue.
Jackalope Green Sparx Gems: 262
#31 Posted: 22:56:24 07/10/2014

I'd say:

Toys for Bob:

Vicarious Visions:
- story
- gameplay

You cannot have a character that is slow and weak in a game, and fast and powerful in another...

I'd argue that VV has better level design, but maybe that's because I enjoyed SWAP Force's longer levels.

I do agree that they're going to have to work together more and create one engine to develop the characters around.
---
Trap Team Collection: smilie smilie smilie smilie
#32 Posted: 23:03:39 07/10/2014

I'd say:

Toys for Bob:

Vicarious Visions:
- story
- gameplay

I'd argue that VV has better level design, but maybe that's because I enjoyed SWAP Force's longer levels.

I do agree that they're going to have to work together more and create one engine to develop the characters around.

I have no problem with longer levels, but I just found that, compared to Giants or SA, they lacked... Something.

Don't know what.
I never got bored of playing Bringing Order to Kaos, to max out my Skylanders, but unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing, for Kaos Fortress...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#33 Posted: 23:23:30 07/10/2014
Ugh that makes me sad. I haven't played the game yet but I detest the heavier/slower characters. The Giants especially were frustrating, but a lot of the normal core guys like Stump Smash were like that too.

I wish that the characters could have a "walk" and a run" motion, like when the direction is pressed and held they'll move and then go into a gallop/run or whatever to move them around faster. Even upgrading some of the character's speeds/equipping them with hats seems to not do that much. Speaking of which, that kind of stinks that if you want a faster character, you have to trade it in for your attack or defense or whatever.

Skylanders is a game that doesn't require any strategy in speed. Movement is all just "go there"; there's not like dodging or making attacks go faster.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#34 Posted: 23:39:18 07/10/2014
To be honest a lot of the to-come trap masters are much faster, and this can be seen with Gearshift to an extent. Enigma, Tuff Luck, Bushwacker, KnightLight and so forth all move quickly enough to get from point A to B and outrace their giant counterparts.
#35 Posted: 23:41:17 07/10/2014
Doesn't Lob Star have a charge too?
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#36 Posted: 23:50:55 07/10/2014
Quote: Kung Fu Man
To be honest a lot of the to-come trap masters are much faster, and this can be seen with Gearshift to an extent. Enigma, Tuff Luck, Bushwacker, KnightLight and so forth all move quickly enough to get from point A to B and outrace their giant counterparts.

Curious how you know this
#37 Posted: 23:53:20 07/10/2014
Quote: DaMadNes
Quote: Kung Fu Man

Curious how you know this

Here you go...it's a good read:

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108512
#38 Posted: 00:21:35 08/10/2014
At first it sounds like an excellent idea to have TfB and VV work on different aspects of the same game, and perhaps for the last game in the series (if we ever see that) they will join forces...

Quote: Zauron
Personally I think its best to think of it as two heavily related series - the games made by TfB and the games made by VV. It seems like its not worth using TfB's figures in VV's games and vice versa, and they obviously have totally different engines and different strengths and they aren't working together nearly as much as Activision would have us all believe. I'm going to start thinking of TfB's games as the ones with the personality and charm, and VV's games with the solid action gameplay and tons of bonus features, if these trends continue.

...but then this really good point is made. Perhaps this is the best perspective when series, publisher, and cost fatigue sets in (as it obviously has for some of us) and a game simply appears to not be worth $300. It's a perfect opportunity to take a break; the less viable and necessary the gimmick characters are in the next game, the easier it is to take that year off without worrying about having to catch up. If my favorite Swap'landers stink it up or have nothing to do in Trap Team, it's a lot easier to decide not to invest in it this year.
---
1Jn47
#39 Posted: 03:02:58 08/10/2014 | Topic Creator

I'm getting more and more convinced that this community will never be satisfied, whatever decision the teams are going to make...

Hmm. I'm not sure that I understand your reasoning. Did I miss something in Trap Team, because the only use that I've found for Giants is to be a turret key. They unlock turrets. It's not unreasonable to have swappers do the same. Also, why would people be more inclined to whine about using figures that were released last year, as opposed to figures that were released two years ago?

Vicarious Vision had giant chests on, I believe (I might be wrong), every single level of Trap Team. There is not one single class-specific use for swappable characters in Trap Team. But there are Giants. So basically VV included giant characters, but TFB completely shut out the swappers. Swapper character models are also tiny and, as a whole, unimpressive. That's why I say TFB took a crap on, what I believe, is the most compelling Skylander game yet in Swap Force, simply because they didn't develop it.

In terms of nerfs/buff, every game does that. It was no a part of my argument for that reason.
#40 Posted: 08:19:55 08/10/2014

Hmm. I'm not sure that I understand your reasoning. Did I miss something in Trap Team, because the only use that I've found for Giants is to be a turret key. They unlock turrets. It's not unreasonable to have swappers do the same. Also, why would people be more inclined to whine about using figures that were released last year, as opposed to figures that were released two years ago?

Vicarious Vision had giant chests on, I believe (I might be wrong), every single level of Trap Team. There is not one single class-specific use for swappable characters in Trap Team. But there are Giants. So basically VV included giant characters, but TFB completely shut out the swappers. Swapper character models are also tiny and, as a whole, unimpressive. That's why I say TFB took a crap on, what I believe, is the most compelling Skylander game yet in Swap Force, simply because they didn't develop it.

In terms of nerfs/buff, every game does that. It was no a part of my argument for that reason.

Well, I don't think characters were nerfed THAT MUCH, in Giants, compared to SWAP Force.

I also believe Giants have rocks to throw, and can smash trought walls like they did in the second game, in Trap Team.

The problem with Swappers is that they are REALLY different, in terms of body shape, than the rest of the Skylanders.
They are mostly humanoid, don't have bigger head or funny proportions, and if they were going to make them the same size, more or less, of the other characters, they would probably be as big as the Trap Masters.
They would always result "weird", no matter what.

They never really looked like proper Skylanders, to begin with.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#41 Posted: 08:02:42 08/06/2015
It's weird, but before Trap Team, I was always looking out for Skylanders with both a dash and a radial move. Those with the best of one, never had the other; Flameslinger and Drill Sergeant, L. Rod and Prism Break. Ghost Roaster and Terrafin were the closest, but neither seem to have a pure radial attack; Ghosty can use his ectoplasm on Fear Eater, but it's tricky, and Terrafin has to be burrowing, and even then it's inconsistent.

And then Trap Team comes out, and suddenly we have a bunch. Just off the top of my head, Gearshift, Lob-Star, Enigma, and Head Rush all have both. If VV doesn't nerf them, could some of these Trap Masters go down as some of the best Skylanders ever? Gearshift is definitely one of my favorites of all time, she just has everything; such versatility with speed, range, and damage.
---
1Jn47
Kefran Yellow Sparx Gems: 1203
#42 Posted: 12:54:40 08/06/2015
I recently did a few stages in Skylanders 1 with my son. All our toys are maxed, including heroics and "speed oriented" hats...
... it was strange to see how fast slow skylanders are.

Coming back to controlling Trap Masters in their game was a shock: we want our team of rockets back !!!
Sworn2Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#43 Posted: 00:33:11 10/06/2015
Trap Team is giving me major Giants flashbacks. Perhaps it's my own personal play style, but I prefer faster characters with range options. I play on hard/nightmare, where skylanders, especially new, low level figures generally cannot trade blows standing toe to toe with the enemy.

I own six trap masters, and they all seem to play in the same style as the giants the second game was titled for: they're slow; they're agonizingly slow. Traveling levels, or worse, the hub world, with these characters bores and frustrates me. They have little dodge capabilities. Many of them can barely move faster than "seeking" enemies.

This being the first title after Swap Force seems to exacerbate the feeling. In Swap Force the key figures were all fairly mobile. Now, I will be the first person to admit that they were all fairly over-powered, so maybe this is the price that we pay for a more balanced game. However, I want mainstay characters that are important to the title's objective, and that can move with more speed than a tortoise eating molasses in a tar pit.

Am I alone in feeling this way? At least in Giants the core characters were powerful enough to finish fights on nightmare, and could open elemental gates.

Thanks.

If I sound argumentative when I say this, I don't mean to, but what are you talking about? The default speed rating of a typical non-giant Skylander is at least 60, while in games before Trap Team, it could go as high as 50-something (that would be Stealth Elf I believe) and as low as 20 (Crusher, Tree Rex, Swarm, etc.). By virtue of their stats, Skylanders are now faster than they've ever been unless you were fortunate enough to have a bunch of speed increasing heroic challenges in Spyro's Adventure and Giants.

Secondly, efficiency and speed are huge parts of my playing style--I don't like having to stop for anything--but I don't consider that many Skylanders in Trap Team to be "slow, lumbering characters". Again, just by having 60 speed, they are pretty agile compared to previous games, so the only place this argument could apply is in attack speed. Even if it's just the trap masters, let's take a look at them by element:

Air: I will actually level with you on this one. Gusto and Thunderbolt both have fairly slow to really slow attack speed.

Life: Bushwhack can deal around 1,000 damage in approximately 6 seconds. Considering it takes a lot of Skylanders that aren't efficient (and even some that are) more than twice as long to do the same, that doesn't sound slow to me. Tuff Luck can also pounce for heavy damage in just a few seconds if she does so on the clover enhancing path.

Undead: While Krpyt King's charged swarm is slow, you don't have to charge it and slow it down. His broadsword attacks are fast, and he can actually make his enemies the slow ones with his haunted sword. Short Cut can attack at blistering speed with cutting frenzy and if he's on the scary seamster (or whatever it's called) path, he can stop his enemies movements and attacks with his thread attack.

Earth: It's split here. Head Rush is not efficient with her yodel, and massively slow and inefficient with her stomp attacks, and her charge often needs to be adjusted in where it's going, which wastes time, with the lack of safety associated with this attack being ignored. Wallop on the other hand, can deal 440-ish damage in 2 seconds. Not slow by FAR.

Fire: I'll agree that Ka-Boom's attacks (other than his cannonball shots) are slow, but if you develop him on the cannonball path, the room can be covered with cannonballs in seconds. Wildfire can swing his shield around quickly, or force his enemies to come to him (which saves time) with fire chains and can use downtime effectively by blocking attacks with his shield.

Water: A boiled Lob-Star is not even close to being slow with his traptanium star shurikens. The same is true of a Snap Shot on the arrow path; charging his arrow takes just a second and does 200-ish damage to anything it his (it can pass through enemies too) and they can be shot off in quick succession.

Magic: Blastermind and Enigma may have slow attack speed, but they make up for it with other moves. For example, Blastermind can slow foes with his Attack 3 and Enigma can turn invisible and completely put enemies on hold until you choose to reveal him by attacking or if you wait for too long, but that has never been a concern for me.

Tech: Gearshift can fire gear shards ridiculously quickly with her Attack 1 in Fragment mode. Jawbreaker can punch once in the blink of an eye and does so even faster in robo rage mode for staggering damage in a few seconds.

Light & Dark: Neither Knight Light or Knight Mare are particularly fast, but both have ways of making up for it, like the magic trap masters. Knight Light can launch enemies and Knight Mare can make enemies stop in place on a screenwide basis with her Attack 3 once her soul gem is purchased.

Also, your point about mobility is pretty much invalid because mobility isn't even incentivized anymore when you can just call in Buzzer Beak, Tussle Sprout, Threatpack or Kaos to handle any situation that requires mobility for you until things calm down and you can use your Skylander again. Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble, but I think claiming that the new Skylanders in Trap Team are slow is a fallacy.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:29 10/06/2015 by Sworn2Skylands
#44 Posted: 08:08:29 10/06/2015
Absolutely agree with you, Sworn2Skylands.

And I also appreciated you didn't even mentioned Cores since that's were the true FAST Skylanders are.
TfB likes variety.
We have slow characters and we have fast ones.

Usually fast characters are weaker but with a higher DPS and slow ones are tough powerhouses.
Of course there are exceptions.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me