Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Spyro Movie [CLOSED]
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7752
#1 Posted: 10:46:05 11/09/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm glad the movie was cancelled. I have a feeling that it would have been absolutely terrible..I mean, Spyro suits our PlayStations, not our DVD systems smilie

That's just my opinion but I'd like to hear yours. *Sits cross-legged and gazes into your eyes.*
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#2 Posted: 14:56:29 11/09/2014
The plot description for the movie was just LoS all over again. It was terrible and I can see why it got canceled.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#3 Posted: 15:03:15 11/09/2014
I would actually like there to be a Spyro movie someday, regardless if it were based on Classic or LoS. I'm glad the film in production was cancelled however due to the names that were on board. Producers and executives on the project were also responsible for films such as Garfield, Eragon, and the live action Scooby Doo movies. It would've been a disaster.

I haven't played much of either franchise (yet), but the trailers for the Sly and Rachet films show that they're being worked on by people who care about the games and want to make something worthy of the characters and story. I can't help but feel like that wouldn't have happened (at least not well) with Spyro with that production team.

Activision's talking about making a Skylanders movie. So if that's your thing go for it.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#4 Posted: 15:24:36 11/09/2014
I think a Spyro movie would've been pretty awesome IMO, but I suppose the TLOS movie wouldn't have been that good, as seen by the names who were working on it...
But still, a Spyro movie done right would be awesome, methinks...^.^ (Classic or Legend.)
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#5 Posted: 15:33:04 11/09/2014
A different Spyro movie would probably be fun, yeah. The LoS movie was just really redundant since you can make your own just by watching all the cutscenes. XD
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#6 Posted: 17:26:36 11/09/2014
^Yeah but can you get them in 33333333333333DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#7 Posted: 18:51:47 11/09/2014
Quote: CAV
Producers and executives on the project were also responsible for films such as Garfield, Eragon, and the live action Scooby Doo movies. It would've been a disaster.

Dude, I loved the first Garfield movie and the first Scooby-Doo live action movie. I can at least find your argument on Eragon fair, since it felt awkward.

Yeah, since the Spyro movie would have involved a medieval setting, it would have flopped, due to the producers' work in Eragon. They could have probably fixed a few things that DotD messed up, but I just don't see why there should be a need for a Spyro movie. After I've seen what Naughty Dog can do with the PS3, I think that if Spyro should get anything that involves movie elements, it should be in a video game.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#8 Posted: 19:05:45 11/09/2014
It just wasn't mean to be, not with those writers and that 'adaptation' (read: we had to find an excuse for Cynder to be evil so evil necklace). It's actually better without the movie than with the movie - DOTD tarnished LOS good already, imagine the same thing but done by people who care even less about the series.

At least Acti is actually trying to make its own team to have movies of its games nowadays; if Skylanders does get a movie doubt it won't have the developers(or at least Onk Beakman) involved.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Radiance Emerald Sparx Gems: 3950
#9 Posted: 03:01:28 13/09/2014
I wouldn't have minded an AHT/Shadow Legacy film. I'd love to see drunk!Spyro again. smilie It'd be fun! (that is, if Jess Harnell would return to voice Spyro)
---
Love is a gift.. Cherish it!
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#10 Posted: 07:43:12 13/09/2014
Quote: LocoGuy107
Quote: CAV
Producers and executives on the project were also responsible for films such as Garfield, Eragon, and the live action Scooby Doo movies. It would've been a disaster.

Dude, I loved the first Garfield movie and the first Scooby-Doo live action movie. I can at least find your argument on Eragon fair, since it felt awkward.

Yeah, since the Spyro movie would have involved a medieval setting, it would have flopped, due to the producers' work in Eragon. They could have probably fixed a few things that DotD messed up, but I just don't see why there should be a need for a Spyro movie. After I've seen what Naughty Dog can do with the PS3, I think that if Spyro should get anything that involves movie elements, it should be in a video game.

Try watching Garfield and Scooby-Doo again.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 08:26:47 13/09/2014
I would like a LoS movie if it had a better plot and fixed the issues with Dawn and better-integrated themes and whatnot but I doubt the one they were making would have
#12 Posted: 18:28:16 13/09/2014
It doesn't help that the LoS movie they were making was, again, the first in a trilogy.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#13 Posted: 19:12:53 13/09/2014
Quote: Razz
It doesn't help that the LoS movie they were making was, again, the first in a trilogy.

Though the first game was not really bad. I mean if we were to compare the first two games in the trilogy, they weren't bad at all. But if the movie were to land on Dawn of the dragon, then there's issues. Thus I'm kind of glad it was cancelled. Though I really want to see some of the cgi movie graphics of the characters.

And I kind of like the Scooby Doo live action movies. Like the first one and Monsters unleashed. :3 I'm Guilty as charged.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#14 Posted: 21:03:47 13/09/2014
The first game was okay, but the story was definitely not movie material.
#15 Posted: 21:14:44 13/09/2014
The first game was okay, but the story was definitely not movie material.

I guess. I mean a few animated movies do have dark tones in it. *shrugs* I guess it's how one looks at it.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#16 Posted: 22:07:41 13/09/2014
It's not the dark tones of the game, it's just that the story in LoS is painfully derivative of much better films (most obviously Lord of the Rings and Star Wars). It's a very "by the numbers", Joseph Campell type epic, and those are so overdone already.
#17 Posted: 22:25:02 13/09/2014
It's not the dark tones of the game, it's just that the story in LoS is painfully derivative of much better films (most obviously Lord of the Rings and Star Wars). It's a very "by the numbers", Joseph Campell type epic, and those are so overdone already.

Oh I see.
---
icon from Empoh
TheReptileGirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1197
#18 Posted: 22:54:38 13/09/2014
Maybe someone should just re-write it? Like call it a fan-fiction, but.. Well, I'm not too sure. It would be an interesting thing to write though.
---
It's a no from me.
#19 Posted: 23:13:29 13/09/2014
Repeating LOS with minimal changes can't even be called a fanfic,it'd be a ripoff.
---
#20 Posted: 23:42:31 13/09/2014
Still though, couldn't hurt, right?
---
It's a no from me.
#21 Posted: 00:12:32 14/09/2014
If someone wants a flamewar in the comments/reviews of the fanfic page, I wouldn't call it harmful :U
---
#22 Posted: 00:15:37 14/09/2014
Plenty of fic writers have redone LoS and it's never really been all that impressive that I've seen. Nobody deviates from the stale tropes enough in those rewrites and it just reads like the games all over again.
#23 Posted: 00:33:13 14/09/2014
Well, least it is in a sort of POSITIVE way. Worst case scenario people just won't like it.

I'm better at writing scripts than stories as I tend to visualize everything as each and every character.

I would actually like to see someone give it a shot to re-write LOS. If they get hated on, then I will back them up on it for trying because hey, nobody else did it and I credit them for trying to write it.
---
It's a no from me.
#24 Posted: 00:44:18 14/09/2014
I tried to remake LOS in Skylanders' canon, but ever since I did a series of cringeworthy Kirby and Pokémon fanfics I know I wasn't writing any fanmade stuff anymore and decided to make a comic instead; I didn't even get too far before I noticed I'm not really good with those yet. It's possible to reinvent LOS while still keeping the key plot elements, but most of the time people take that as an excuse to change X thing they didn't like or push their OTP into the spotlight(like with most reimaining fanfics really), so good writers would rather bother with sequel/prequel fanfics or other things people don't have such low expectations for from the get go.
---
#25 Posted: 00:50:57 14/09/2014
Hey... I got an idea, you know what would make an excelent fan-fic?

One about Malefor before he became The Dark Master. I've always wondered what his past would have been like. I think it would make a great fan-fiction and a killer game.
---
It's a no from me.
iSO Emerald Sparx Gems: 3143
#26 Posted: 01:04:58 14/09/2014
On a related note regarding the plot, theme, and setting of the LoS series, despite me not playing the games at all; it seems that in my perspective based on limited knowledge, they were building a reboot or series that will replace the previous series (the original Spyro series) seeing back before Skylanders became a thing. I say that because the people who worked on the LoS series at the start built up the content regarding those games it despite being derivative as Razz points out.

• Did the creators at that time intend to create just a one-off trilogy using the Spyro license?
  • Did they intend to create more games based on the LoS universe?

The Spyro IP has been thrown around ever since Insomniac Games and Universal went their separate ways; as much as the Crash IP.

Now with Activision owning it, and with Skylanders around, I'm not exactly sure what was going on behind the scenes besides of a proposed Spyro MMO based on the LoS games. All I know from my limited knowledge is the creator of the LoS series is working on Skylanders, which explains Cynder being there. Wouldn't mind some clarification.
#27 Posted: 01:12:11 14/09/2014
Quote: TheReptileGirl
Hey... I got an idea, you know what would make an excelent fan-fic?

One about Malefor before he became The Dark Master. I've always wondered what his past would have been like. I think it would make a great fan-fiction and a killer game.

I've read enough fanfiction to see where this is going, quite literally,sometimes this exact story.

1)He's evil because destiny say so.
2)He's evil because his powers took the better of him, he's so helpless it can't be his fault ever.
3)He's evil because some person he loved died or started avoiding him.
4)Fanfic writer tries any of those and fails miserably to be specific.

Pick your poison, everyone.

And iSO, they marketed LOS as Spyro's backstory, but it hardly has anything to do with the Classic Series. They definately wanted to do more with it (Spyro's Kingdom/Skylanders started out as an MMO sequel to DOTD), but there was no fixing that it was Star Wars with dragons.
---
#28 Posted: 03:03:29 14/09/2014
Quote:
Did the creators at that time intend to create just a one-off trilogy using the Spyro license?
Did they intend to create more games based on the LoS universe?

1. They never even planned for it to be a trilogy when ANB was made, just left a sting at the end in case it did well enough for a sequel or two.

2. There were plans to make more LoS world games (see: Spyro's Kingdom) but DotD failed so hard it became Skylanders instead.

re: Malefor fanfics
Oh lord, yeah, they're all one of those three. D: Before DotD made me hate him too much to even care, I wrote Malefor as an amoral fellow who thought he was doing the best for dragonkind even when he did horrible things. When the other dragons exiled him, he just started to decide that the world would be better off he remade it all from scratch. Then DotD came out and proved that he was waaaay too stupid and incompetent to be that kind of clever and I quit. Then crazed DotD fans started being turds about any of my Spyro fics that weren't all about Spyro x Cynder and I stopped writing for the fandom almost entirely (I write out the occasional idea I find interesting for myself or for personal friends and post it where the fandom can't hassle me anonymously).

tl;dr
Don't write Malefor fics, they're terrible. Don't write Spyro fic, really, the readers are overall terrible, too.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#29 Posted: 03:12:50 14/09/2014
Quote:
Pick your poison, everyone.

Malefor got tired of the responsibility and attention other dragons gave him, just went 'screw it' and started acting like a jerk to deter them, which eventually escalated into him becoming evil as he is today.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:19:11 14/09/2014 by Arc of Archives
#30 Posted: 03:23:08 14/09/2014
With Malefor, I'm not doing any of those bloody Mary Sue's, they BORE me and are too cliche.

Idk, I might give it a shot because why not, but god no, just, no romance in it.

I thought Malefor was exiled for learning too much, becoming power hungry and whatnot?

I'm obviously missing something then.
---
It's a no from me.
#31 Posted: 03:56:05 14/09/2014
2. There were plans to make more LoS world games (see: Spyro's Kingdom) but DotD failed so hard it became Skylanders instead.

I heard questionable things about DotD, but I wonder how terrible the game is in terms of sales in comparison to the previous two LoS games. I assumed they would've made bank just because it's the last game in the trilogy; maybe they expected more sales than the previous two?

I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with those crazed fans at the time Razz. I wouldn't mind thoughtful crafted fan content that wouldn't attract those types of loud fanatics.
#32 Posted: 04:48:36 14/09/2014
All I know for sure is that ANB was successful enough to be a Playstation Hits game, and neither TEN or DotD got to those levels. Usually, trilogies don't do so well by the end because they require knowledge of the previous two parts.

I have two Spyro fics up on AO3 right now (one Skylanders short and a longer story that's a sequel to LoS in which Spyro is dead by the end of chapter one).
#33 Posted: 05:15:59 14/09/2014
They sound interesting, can you post some links?
---
It's a no from me.
#34 Posted: 05:22:04 14/09/2014
@Razz: That's an interesting tidbit of info. The reason I thought the third game would perform financially well is because I recall seeing more advertising of the game than the usual...though my mind was rather fuzzy with time.

As for your fanfics, cool, I'll try to read them for the next few days. Right now, I'm preoccupied and I'm currently taking a break by entertaining myself using an image editor to crop out all the background from photo images of Skylander statues that were taken during events; similar to the Spyro Skylander statue that I've done a long time ago which became my avatar. It was during the time I was compiling all the first Skylander game info in that mega topic.
#35 Posted: 06:07:26 14/09/2014
For the interested:

Heart of the World - At last, someone has done what the Ancestors should have done long ago and finally rid the world of purple dragons. But darkness is still in the world and it's up to Cynder and Sparx to decide if what's left is worth saving.

Ghosts Like Us - (Skylanders) “No one lives forever, after all,” the scythe whispers as it is raised in the air. “Not even ghosts like us.”

Hero In Violet - (South Park/Spyro crossover) He's not quite the hero they were hoping for but, with the help of a faun and her friends, he might be just what they need to save the worlds of Avalar. Rated for language, death, and morbid/suggestive humor.

I have a bunch of older fics that used to be on FF.net that I haven't reposted to AO3. I might put them back up if I remember/get the time/anyone is interested enough.
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7752
#36 Posted: 10:56:48 14/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Hm, interesting opinions
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
S P Y R O Blue Sparx Gems: 953
#37 Posted: 07:08:45 28/11/2014
I think they should make one, however, they need to alter the Los plot first to avoid the boringness of the first game..

Learn an element, rescue a guardian, learn an element, rescue a guardian.
---
Spyro is cool, Spyro is cool. Anyone doesn't think Spyro's cool, must be a banana. smilie smilie
#38 Posted: 07:52:10 28/11/2014
DOTD was no different. Save some guy, sulk about something, save some guy, sulk about something; it only has extra Ignitus dies in a fire. At least ANB and TEN were your general high fantasy videogame story(embodiment of all evil is doing something super evil!Get the powers or macguffin and save the world!) instead of outright ripping off Star Wars and LOTR.
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#39 Posted: 03:46:42 30/11/2014
it wouldnt be a good movie.spyro is a game series not a movie
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Radiance Emerald Sparx Gems: 3950
#40 Posted: 17:56:54 30/11/2014

Hero In Violet - (South Park/Spyro crossover) He's not quite the hero they were hoping for but, with the help of a faun and her friends, he might be just what they need to save the worlds of Avalar. Rated for language, death, and morbid/suggestive humor.

[User Posted Image]

A Spyro/South Park crossover. With Mysterion replacing Spyro. Brilliant. xD
---
Love is a gift.. Cherish it!
#41 Posted: 23:38:49 30/11/2014
Oh! Haha, I keep forgetting I wrote that. XD Glad somebody has noticed. :D I'll get back to it eventually... :D
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#42 Posted: 19:56:37 07/12/2014
The movie got cancelled for good reasons. There was no positive hope for it at all.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me