Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 22 of 54 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 52 53 54
Unpopular Opinions [STICKY]
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#1051 Posted: 14:29:33 23/03/2016
Because it's the first in a while, I think? Most of the jokes are how it's creating a new generation of furries. Could be wrong.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
OnionCakes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#1052 Posted: 15:26:50 23/03/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Because it's the first in a while, I think? Most of the jokes are how it's creating a new generation of furries. Could be wrong.

No this is the exact point. But I think what they're pointing at is alot of other sites are taking it rather far and people just repeat what those sites say. (Gawker did a horrible article about this, and i hear the same "arguments" and jokes from that post)
---
Check out my boyfriends Skylander ARTWORK
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108425
http://jacob-a-sweet.tumblr.com/
SuperSpyroFan55 Gold Sparx Gems: 2265
#1053 Posted: 15:36:58 23/03/2016
Quote: pankakesparx456
I don't get why people keep labeling Zootopia as a "furry movie." Maybe it's because of the time it came out, but Disney making entertainment based around anthropomorphic animals isn't anything new, so I don't get why all of a sudden people are putting Zootopia in that position when this is something Disney has done for a long time now.

I thought it was because they explained what the word Anthropomorphic in the trailer.
---
eggmans gona pop dat cherry
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#1054 Posted: 15:40:11 23/03/2016
I don't get why people keep labeling Zootopia as a "furry movie." Maybe it's because of the time it came out, but Disney making entertainment based around anthropomorphic animals isn't anything new, so I don't get why all of a sudden people are putting Zootopia in that position when this is something Disney has done for a long time now.

Disney made a facebook post asking people in fursuits to post pictures of themselves, in their fursuits at the movie premiere.

i'm guessing thats why.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
SuperSpyroFan55 Gold Sparx Gems: 2265
#1055 Posted: 15:54:21 23/03/2016
I'd like to see Disney get that off their backs.
---
eggmans gona pop dat cherry
#1056 Posted: 14:59:19 24/03/2016
Disney has nothing to get off their backs. The fursuit community isn't a bad one. There's a tiny percentage of people who use them for sex, have you ever looked at the pricing of those things? The nicer ones cost thousands of dollars.

They're a different type of people who like to preform at conventions. Oh no. I think we call another type of those kinds of people...um...you know...cosplayers?

I love how anyone acts like it's bad.

It's not like humans don't you know....do it ALL THE TIME OR ANYTHING.
---
#1057 Posted: 18:08:01 24/03/2016
Well, except for the actual insults, they seem to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, like actual furries joking about how the tiger dancers made their friends confused.
---
Faust Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#1058 Posted: 00:33:49 25/03/2016
I like reading spoilers. If I buy a game, I'd rather know exactly what I'm spending my money on.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#1059 Posted: 00:34:40 25/03/2016
Quote: Faust
I like reading spoilers. If I buy a game, I'd rather know exactly what I'm spending my money on.

FINALLY IM NOT ALONE
Spellslamzer75 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1333
#1060 Posted: 01:49:13 25/03/2016

So do I, actually. Especially if there are important things to know before playing a game, like if there are characters you can only get by doing specific actions that the game might not make obvious, and things like that.
---
Strength, courage, and evil
SkylandrPurists Emerald Sparx Gems: 3419
#1061 Posted: 11:33:44 25/03/2016
I think Sofia the First is a really good and cute show.

INFINITELY better than MLP.
---
My Magical Marauders: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smilie
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#1062 Posted: 11:54:01 25/03/2016

I'm like this, too. I also do it with movies. For example, the day The Force Awakens came out, I looked up everything that happened in it.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#1063 Posted: 21:00:40 25/03/2016
RWBY Volume 3 spoilers:

I didn't really care for Penny's "death" at all. IMO Penny was the most uninteresting character in the whole series and I didn't really feel for her at all when she was destroyed by Pyrrha. And besides, she's a robot so there is the potential that she can just be rebuilt in Volume 4. Though that being said I'd rather she doesn't come back at all but there still is that potential for her to come back.
---
Cool cool.
#1064 Posted: 00:30:29 26/03/2016
RWBY Volume 3 spoilers:

I didn't really care for Penny's "death" at all. IMO Penny was the most uninteresting character in the whole series and I didn't really feel for her at all when she was destroyed by Pyrrha. And besides, she's a robot so there is the potential that she can just be rebuilt in Volume 4. Though that being said I'd rather she doesn't come back at all but there still is that potential for her to come back.

ACTUALLY LEAVE.

...j/k penny was one of my favorite characters, despite her not really getting a ton of development or screen time.
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#1065 Posted: 22:01:22 26/03/2016
Quote: parisruelz12
RWBY Volume 3 spoilers:

ACTUALLY LEAVE.

...j/k penny was one of my favorite characters, despite her not really getting a ton of development or screen time.

RWBY spoilers.....
Penny's death didn't bother me at all since she is a robot and can be rebuilt. In fact, I'd be surprised if she wasn't. Her death made a nice plot twist for the other characters and was a good point to use as a spark to ignite the war Cinder was going for. Really, I don't think any other character could've served the role better as like Cinder said, it only made to show Ozpin's students as cold and merciless & to show the truth about Penny to the world to bring distrust towards Ironwood. Sure, any other 2 people in the fight could create a distrust of Ozpin by making his students look bad, but only Penny being revealed as a robot and killed by one of Ozpin's students would lead to distrust of all the heads at once.

Pyrrha's death was the one that got me. The moment it happened, I was 110% not ok with it.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#1066 Posted: 23:01:12 26/03/2016

Aside from the things other people mentioned, it's just the core concept of the movie so blatantly appeals to furries.

Like yes, Disney has made plenty of movies with anthro characters. But they're always more fantastical so they feel truly like fantasy worlds. Robin Hood, for example, is based on a fairy tale anyway.

Zootopia literally has our real life, modern society, only the difference is that everyone is an anthropomorphic animal.

Like you have all of these animals wearing very real and normal clothes, walking around with iPads and iPhones, and they even have a furry Shakira in the movie. Not to mention the tiger dancers. Like, this whole movie is literally every furries fantasy dream - just the same as the world we have,, but everyone is physically an animal and has a few animalistic tendencies. It creates this uncanny valley effect.

That, combined with the other things people have mentioned, and certain other references in the movie ("shhh, you'll start a howl"), and you cannot deny that the creators of the movie didn't know what they were doing. They were TRYING to catch the furry demographic, and they definitely succeeded.

I don't say this as a negative thing myself, I mean, it's a very distinct, fairly large demographic, so it's smart of them to hook it. And if most people are none the wiser and just see it as a kids movie, I don't see what the problem is.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:01:42 26/03/2016 by sonicbrawler182
#1067 Posted: 00:22:44 27/03/2016
Also I do want to mention I didn't try to imply Zootopia being a furry movie was a bad thing if anyone got that notion. I just didn't really understand initially why it was being called that but now it makes more sense.
---
Cool cool.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#1068 Posted: 12:15:07 28/03/2016
BvS was ****ing awesome and it's one of my favorite superhero movie
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#1069 Posted: 04:22:26 29/03/2016
The Archie Sonic comics are absolutely horrible. Being honest, they seem like this really bad fanfiction that Sega unfortunately approved.

Not to mention, that weird freaking "Mobius 30 years later" thing that I have in book form really disgusts me because I thought Sonic's creator didn't intend Sonic to have kids or a family because it was out of character. I might be wrong though, it was a long time ago I read that..
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:28:39 29/03/2016 by RaymanTwilight
#1070 Posted: 05:14:06 29/03/2016
Quote: RaymanTwilight
The Archie Sonic comics are absolutely horrible. Being honest, they seem like this really bad fanfiction that Sega unfortunately approved.

Not to mention, that weird freaking "Mobius 30 years later" thing that I have in book form really disgusts me because I thought Sonic's creator didn't intend Sonic to have kids or a family because it was out of character. I might be wrong though, it was a long time ago I read that..

SO MUCH THIS
---
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#1071 Posted: 10:56:37 29/03/2016
Yeah that's why the big reset happened in the Sonic comics after the Mega Man crossover.

The older Archie comics broke so many rules of the "Sonic Bible" (like letting Sonic blatantly commit to a relationship), and so SEGA just sort of cracked down on it and told them to stop.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#1072 Posted: 01:26:11 01/04/2016
I don't really enjoy Digimon Adventure Tri, it didren't really give me the "feels" the first OVA.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#1073 Posted: 02:18:40 02/04/2016
I've really been wanting to say this for a long time.

Star Wars The Force Awakens isn't a great movie, and my favorite scence is when Rey escapes, just because I know the mind-tricked stormtrooper is played by Daniel Craig.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan, and I'll admit when I first saw it I got giddy at the sight of Han and Chewy and the rest of the characters coming on screen together again, .. but after a few viewings it's just sunk in that it's not a great movie. I rank it as my 5th favorite, barely. Ignoring the fact that the majority of it is rehashed A New Hope plot, the movie is extremely predictable with Finn being the only real developed new character, a weak villain, and the movie relies on nostalgia. I wouldn't usually hold the new characters to a normal standard since they were only introduced in one movie, but they were treated as if they had years of training? How did Rey, more particularly Rey know how to use a lightsaber? Just because she's strong with the force? I get it that Rey was similar to Luke and liked ships and piloting but it still seems unlikely she could drive the Millennium Falcon. Nothing in the films stands out at all.
The ending fight scene is really less impressive every time I rewatch it too.
#1074 Posted: 14:05:35 02/04/2016
I absolutely hated the first God's Not Dead, and it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Now let me make a couple things clear before I go into why: I am a dedicated Christian at heart. I believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and I do read my Bible every now and then. So this opinion is coming from someone who is, while laid back about it for the most part, very serious and dedicated about Christianity. If anything, it should really say something about this movie if someone who's Christian like me hated this movie. Also, this may not come off as an unpopular opinion to most considering the negative critical reception God's Not Dead got, but I've noticed that a LOT of Christians put this movie in high regard and say it's an excellent movie. Even at my own Church and student ministry I seem to be the only Christian who hated this movie.

As for why I hate it, where do I even begin...

The primary problem that the entire movie has as a whole is that it's too biased. This movie victimizes Christians and puts Atheists and Muslims in a seriously negative light. The Christians in this movie are portrayed as the only good people, and have no real character flaws to them at all. The Atheist teacher in this movie is portrayed as the most spiteful, hateful human being. He constantly refutes the Christian student in this movie, treats him generally like garbage, and abuses his girlfriend on a mental scale because she's a Christian. Never mind the fact that this kind of stuff would make you a terrible person no matter what religion you are, but just about every atheist in this movie is like this. the teacher's friends, who are also atheists, basically treat Christians like a laughing stock, and it's honestly the most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in any movie thus far. Some of my closest friends are atheists, and none of them would ever treat me this way in the same way I wouldn't treat them this way because it's just being a bad person regardless of religion.

And it doesn't help that the only character who's a Muslim in this movie beats his daughter because he's too "traditional." Yeah, because we DEFINITELY needed to do that to a religion that already faces more oppression than any other religion in today's world, right? The movie is incredibly biased because of how horribly it treats the other side, and the movie would've been a HELL OF A LOT better if they focused on making all the characters good characters instead of constantly victimizing Christians and saying they've done nothing wrong, while basically treating every non-Christian character like garbage.

Even without this problem the movie itself is just a jumbled, unfocused mess that covers WAY too many subplots. Along with the whole Christian student vs Atheist teacher plot, we have a subplot with the Christian student breaking up with his girlfriend, a subplot with the Atheist teacher mentally abusing his girlfriend, a subplot with said girlfriend's brother not visiting their mother at all even though she has dementia(oh yeah, and the brother is an atheist and the mother is a Christian. guess where that goes?), a subplot with THAT brother's girlfriend who writes a Duck Dynasty blog(including a random Duck Dynasty cameo in this movie), gets cancer, and has the brother dump her because she has cancer(I wish I was making this stuff up, but I can't. the brother actually dumps her because she has cancer and calls her the selfish one. And it's not done in a whole "the brother is just really hurt" kind of way. The brother dumps her with absolutely no sympathy), and later converts to Christianity after she meets the Christian band Newsboys, a subplot with a Muslim girl who converts to Christianity only to have her father beat her and kick her out of the house, and be left to a couple of pastors to take care of her because she has nowhere to go, and a subplot with the same two pastors trying to get their car to start working, only to finally get it working and come across the atheist teacher dying because he got hit by a car, and they help him convert to Christianity(Oh yeah, did I mention that they kill off the atheist teacher at the end, have the pastors here convert him to Christianity before he dies, and they essentially mock him at the Newsboys concert at the end of the movie?).

Did you manage to follow ANY of that? Yeah, that's how incredibly unfocused this movie is. The movie should've just been left at the student and the teacher debating about whether or not God is real(and it should've been done more unbiased, I should add again). But instead they throw all these other plots at us for no reason other than to essentially extend the runtime of the film. The writing is absolutely atrocious because of this, since the script is trying to balance out all these plots with no real flow to them whatsoever. It also makes the characters even less interesting. It's already bad enough that these characters are stereotyped and incredibly one-dimensional(and with actors doing really bad performances, no less), but now, since there's so many characters, you can't care about them at all because the movie is going all over the place with them.

Ultimately this comes down the the biggest problem that most Christian movies have nowadays: The focus more on the message than the actual movie. Instead of trying to make a good movie, with good characters and good writing, they constantly put God at the center and try to hammer his message into the audience, and no audience other than Christians are going to like that.

There's a difference between putting God at the center on a human scale and putting him at the center on an entertainment scale. There can be a good message behind these Christian movies. but the message has to flow with the movie itself, not the message has to carry the entire film. Some of the better Christian movies, like The Prince of Egypt or The Ten Commandments, succeeded because the message they held was supported by a good story, good characters, and good writing. The message didn't dictate the story or characters, the characters and story of those movies dictated the message. And that's the core problem with God's Not Dead and a lot of Christian movies. The message of the movie comes first, and making a good movie comes second.

I could go on and on about other problems about the movie, such as how unrealistic it really is(THAT's an understatement), about how converting the characters to Christianity is handled very poorly in the film(especially with the atheist teacher), and about some of the pointless things that happen in the movie such as the random Duck Dynasty cameo, but then I'd be ranting way longer than I should be.

I really wanted to like this movie. I honestly did. With such an interesting concept, it should've been great. But it has so many problems with stereotyping, disrespecting other religions, subplots, writing, and characters that it's honestly a close third to Foodfight and The Last Airbender to being the worst movie I have ever seen. And I'm not even going to bother seeing the second one(at least in theaters) because it seems like their rehashing the exact same movie but on a courtroom scale(which is just going to cause even bigger problems than the first film).
---
Cool cool.
#1075 Posted: 14:09:44 02/04/2016
It's 2016 and we're still using Easy Evangelism AND Hollywood Atheist tropes? In a serious fashion? Wow.
---
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12161
#1076 Posted: 13:31:13 06/04/2016
we're in a golden age of christian exploitation films
#1077 Posted: 14:48:21 06/04/2016
Quote: Badwolfmichael
I've really been wanting to say this for a long time.

Star Wars The Force Awakens isn't a great movie, and my favorite scence is when Rey escapes, just because I know the mind-tricked stormtrooper is played by Daniel Craig.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan, and I'll admit when I first saw it I got giddy at the sight of Han and Chewy and the rest of the characters coming on screen together again, .. but after a few viewings it's just sunk in that it's not a great movie. I rank it as my 5th favorite, barely. Ignoring the fact that the majority of it is rehashed A New Hope plot, the movie is extremely predictable with Finn being the only real developed new character, a weak villain, and the movie relies on nostalgia. I wouldn't usually hold the new characters to a normal standard since they were only introduced in one movie, but they were treated as if they had years of training? How did Rey, more particularly Rey know how to use a lightsaber? Just because she's strong with the force? I get it that Rey was similar to Luke and liked ships and piloting but it still seems unlikely she could drive the Millennium Falcon. Nothing in the films stands out at all.
The ending fight scene is really less impressive every time I rewatch it too.

Thank you.

My boyfriend and I took his dad to see it, who both of them are BIG Star wars fans, me I could go either way.

My boyfriend and I went to school and now work in the videogame/movie industry and for the last 7-8 years we learned and teach about storytelling.

We were exceptionally disappointed by this movie. His father however was the nail in the coffin as when he walked out of the movie he said "I'm pretty sure that was the same movie i saw in the the 70's/80's." It was a bummer.

I however bought the movie for my grandmother, she's been really sick lately and hasn't had the chance to go to the theater so she has to watch it from home. If she doesn't like it...well...I'd say that's pretty sad as she likes everything. Haha.
---
#1078 Posted: 21:10:00 10/04/2016
There are a few more things I want to cover up.

About Harvey Beaks and the fact that people are clamoring this show to be good, I honestly don't like the show. I mean, it is better than Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners and Pig Goat Banana Cricket (I keep calling it Pig Goat Banana Chicken, LOL), but it just honestly doesn't appeal to me at all. Similarly to, well, other shows, I understand why people love them, but it is just not in my taste. I am also looking forward to The Loud House. I've seen some episodes on demand, and it looks really funny. I hope I don't mix up the characters, ESPECIALLY the ten sisters!

Also, I think all the Total Drama seasons are good in their ways. I even like All-Stars (despite the fact that a lot of people hate it). The "heroes versus villains" battle is pretty clever (because of their similarities with Survivor). As for Sundae Muddy Sundae, I really like that episode. I know a lot of people hate this episode because of Courtney's evil plan. I actually do NOT like Courtney, sorry, she's just an obnoxious sketch and (to be clear, I predicted she'' do something evil ever since Episode 2 of Island). I mean, if it was someone I like being ruined (I.E. Zoey), the episode would've sucked for me as well, but I like my characters, and you guys like your characters.

Also, can we please not discuss this? It feels like I get really queasy whenever I have to clarify things to you guys from earlier posts.

Thank you in advance! smilie smilie
---
My Magical Marauders: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:13:25 15/04/2016 by SkylandrPurists
#1079 Posted: 23:05:03 10/04/2016
Meta Knight is way too overrated. Like, seriously.

I like King Dedede so much more.
---
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#1080 Posted: 01:24:13 11/04/2016
Obligatory unpopular opinion... Hm... Well, Emmy from the Professor Layton games (actually I just mean in Last Spectre, since it's the only one I've played with her in it) irked me a bit. I haven't played it in a while to figure out why, I just know she kinda did sometimes and I don't really know why, even though she's badass and I did like her at some points. I feel like the reason she irks me had to do with Luke.

I absolutely hated the first God's Not Dead, and it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen. [...]

Thank you for typing out this review. I was considering watching it because a Christian friend of mine was raving about how great she thought it was and how she wanted me to watch it: "I know you're not Christian [I'm agnostic] but you'll love it!" Her prodding has me thinking about watching some religious films that I wouldn't normally watch when I have the time because I want to be open-minded, but the trailer for GND had me skeptical. The idea is interesting and I feel like it had potential, but I'm pretty sad that it went the route that you describe it did.

Thanks for mentioning The Prince of Egypt and The Ten Commandments, I'll check those out instead sometime. I've been wanting to watch The Prince of Egypt (assuming you mean the animated 1998 film?) for a long time now. Also, has anyone seen Miracles from Heaven? That's another one I'm considering, but if it's like God's Not Dead (as in the characters are unrealistic, the writing and acting is poor, and its message is not subtle at all) then I don't think I'll enjoy it.
---
but i love it all smooth
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#1081 Posted: 05:44:07 11/04/2016
I DON'T LIKE GILGAMESH
GILGAMESH MORE LIKE GILGATRASH
MORE LIKE KING OF THE PRICKS
URG
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#1082 Posted: 10:45:58 11/04/2016
Which Gilgamesh? FF, fate/stay i forgot which one that character is from, etc?
---
#1083 Posted: 03:04:22 12/04/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Which Gilgamesh? FF, fate/stay i forgot which one that character is from, etc?

He means the one from Fate/.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:39:24 12/04/2016 by Seiki
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12771
#1084 Posted: 21:35:21 12/04/2016
Sailor Moon Crystal > Original Sailor Moon
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8257
#1085 Posted: 02:27:12 14/04/2016
I still enjoy the Minions. The movie wasn't necessary, but I still love those little corn people. They get to much hate.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#1086 Posted: 19:37:25 14/04/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I still enjoy the Minions. The movie wasn't necessary, but I still love those little corn people. They get to much hate.

I agree 100% with this.
---
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12771
#1087 Posted: 11:32:33 15/04/2016
I don't like Sunday roast dinners. The only thing I would eat from them is Yorkshire puddings. I'd pick a pasta dinner over roast beef any Sunday.
#1088 Posted: 18:10:27 15/04/2016
Quote: Chompy-King257
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

I agree 100% with this.

Even though Inside Out is my favorite 2015 animated movie, these little yellow scuzzballs and their movie are awesome!

Scarlet Overkill is a pretty funny villainess herself (much like her friends: Vector and El Macho) She is one of my favorite female Villains: along with Yzma, Mrs. Tweedy, Captain Chantel DuBois, Dawn Bellwether and Darla Dimple.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:24:42 15/04/2016 by SkylandrPurists
#1089 Posted: 23:19:05 15/04/2016
I find the MCU to be rather overrated and find myself less hyped with each coming movie.

To me, it just seems like they throw in a bunch of superheroes for some big action movie. Which can be fine, except it seems to cost a bit in the plot department. After hearing about GotG maybe being in the next Avengers, I kinda lost some interest in it as it really feels like it'll have too much going on with far too many characters for its own good. I'll still watch any that have characters I like, and enjoy them, but can't help but feel like they could be better and not worth the hype or praise they get.
---
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#1090 Posted: 23:54:26 15/04/2016
Quote: Seiki
I find the MCU to be rather overrated and find myself less hyped with each coming movie.

To me, it just seems like they throw in a bunch of superheroes for some big action movie. Which can be fine, except it seems to cost a bit in the plot department. After hearing about GotG maybe being in the next Avengers, I kinda lost some interest in it as it really feels like it'll have too much going on with far too many characters for its own good. I'll still watch any that have characters I like, and enjoy them, but can't help but feel like they could be better and not worth the hype or praise they get.

And here I am, jumping to defend my waifu with a **** ton of exposition, sonicbrawler style. God, I'm such a hypocrite.

They aren't really "just throwing characters" together just for the sake of it, and it certainly doesn't mess up the plot either, if the Civil War reviews have anything to say about it. While that absolutely can happen, and has happened in the past (file under: Avengers: Age of Ultron). At least they learn from their mistakes and make attempts, unlike other films that completely bog down the plot just for the sake of having extra characters, such as Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. When an MCU film makes that kind of mistake like they did with AoU, they get right to fixing it. AoU was both written and directed by Joss Whedon, so when he couldn't juggle that many characters and plotlines with favorable results, they hired people that could for Avengers: Infinity War. The Russo Brothers have clearly shown through Winter Soldier and Civil War that they can handle a large amount of characters, hence why they were hired to do so for the culmination of 12 years of character development.

The Guardians have good reason to be fighting alongside the Avengers, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel by the time of Infinity War too. Marvel has already teased that the main villain will be Thanos, and that's someone who's been a long time enemy of both the Avengers and the Guardians, within the movies AND within the comics. A cosmic character that constantly threatens Earth with supernatural destruction and has a history with both teams seems like a good enough reason for them to team up, at least in my opinion.

Avengers: Infinity War is ABSOLUTELY the endgame for the MCU. It's what they've been building towards for 12 years, and a shared universe that's that long and that popular is unprecedented. Every film, every show, every one shot that they've made has all led up to Infinity War, so it only makes sense that they'd use every trick they have up their sleeve for the big finale. Even if they make more films after Infinity War, there's not much that can top that. For me, after that, unless they have some great films that'll reel me back in, it's done. They've wrapped up a 12 year story arc. There's not much point left in watching them after such a finale, even for diehard Marvel fans such as myself.
#1091 Posted: 00:31:20 16/04/2016
I kinda had a feeling you'd reply. Don't worry, I take no offense as long as you don't attempt to change my view and tell me my opinion is invalid.

I get the characters have reasons to fight Thanos and work together, and that can work in a massive comic crossover event. But trying to pack it all into a roughly 2 hour movie? It just leaves me skeptical and like some characters won't get too much screen time or any character development in the movie. I do understand they all come together to help a greater plot, but still it's nice to have a movie be good on it's own and not just part 10 of a good arc. I'd rather a movie good in itself than simply building for a larger point that doesn't come until 3 movies later and still isn't great on it's own as all the build up and character development happened several movies ago. It's an issue I had with Force Awakens as well. I liked FA, but felt too much time was spent building up for later and wasn't too happy with how things left off. Which that is part of the problem I have with the MCU. I'm not interested in every hero that gets a movie, yet I feel like I am required to watch every movie/show in the MCU to fully understand the later movies that do have characters I would enjoy seeing. I have yet to see GotG, AntMan, & Winter Soldier and have no interest in seeing Doctor Strange or Captain Marvel as I just don't really have interest in them or in some cases, had not heard of them until their movie was announced.

I do understand they generate a ton of money, that many people like them, and they get great reviews, but it doesn't mean I have to like the movie or agree with those reviews. If people like them, so be it. It's just not really the best to me.
---
#1092 Posted: 11:26:17 16/04/2016
I think I get it, it's comics versus movies. In a comic, a crossover is no big deal, you have two different ongoing series, and if you get too much screentime on one side, chances are it'll invert in a future one. Movies you can't just "waste" screentime on a less popular character or risk future crossovers featuring more of the obscure folk, too much money - not even getting into giving standalone movies to them. So if Iron Man is the focus on so many Avengers movies? Tough luck, that's all we're getting until a reboot in the next half of the century.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:26:51 16/04/2016 by Bifrost
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#1093 Posted: 14:34:36 16/04/2016
I absolutely hated the first God's Not Dead, and it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I'm not sure of the opinion on these movies in the Christian communities but to my knowledge both the film and it's sequel have been thrashed to all hell for a lot of the reasons you listed. Is it really that unpopular an opinion?

Quote: Seiki
I get the characters have reasons to fight Thanos and work together, and that can work in a massive comic crossover event. But trying to pack it all into a roughly 2 hour movie? It just leaves me skeptical and like some characters won't get too much screen time or any character development in the movie. I do understand they all come together to help a greater plot, but still it's nice to have a movie be good on it's own and not just part 10 of a good arc. I'd rather a movie good in itself than simply building for a larger point that doesn't come until 3 movies later and still isn't great on it's own as all the build up and character development happened several movies ago. It's an issue I had with Force Awakens as well. I liked FA, but felt too much time was spent building up for later and wasn't too happy with how things left off. Which that is part of the problem I have with the MCU. I'm not interested in every hero that gets a movie, yet I feel like I am required to watch every movie/show in the MCU to fully understand the later movies that do have characters I would enjoy seeing. I have yet to see GotG, AntMan, & Winter Soldier and have no interest in seeing Doctor Strange or Captain Marvel as I just don't really have interest in them or in some cases, had not heard of them until their movie was announced.

My turn to step in.

This sort of continuity thing is no stranger to comic books and I think Marvel absolutely intended that to be the purpose. Just like how in many comic books there's a lot of history to understand and go through, the film universe follows suit by having other films that you might want to see to be able to fully understand the context of films like Age of Ultron or Civil War. I personally think it's well and good if you're aware that's what you're stepping into or if you're willing to not bother with some films and just read a synopsis online to figure out what you might've missed (I still haven't seen Thor: The Dark World, and I'm not particularly interested in doing so).

Major note to that though is that I think this shared universe continuity thing is something that should mostly be done only for superhero movies. Marvel has shown that they can do it well and so they get a pass. And while DC is bumbling over itself in a mad dash to catch up to Marvel, if they can get themselves straight DCEU will be equally fine. But something like, say, a Hanna-Barbara cinematic universe sounds really off and just smells of the studio trying to rake in more cash, especially when you consider that while the IPs for that brand have crossed over in the past, it was usually for one off specials or Wacky Races at best.
The only non-superhero brand that I think could reasonably pull off a cinematic universe is Nintendo, and to be quite honest I say that in large part because a Super Smash Bros film would be surreal.

That said, while some MCU films exist seemingly only to advance the continuity further and don't really work well as solo films on their own, I do think that a decent number of movies succeed as solo projects without the need for more info. GotG is probably the best example I can think of besides the original Iron Man, since as of right now GotG has no relation to the rest of the MCU at all, and the only thing remotely connecting the two is that one of the infinity stones is featured and Thanos shows up once or twice as a reminder that he exists. Ant-Man is also largely its own thing, separated from the rest of the MCU, only really connecting itself to other IPs in the post credits scene (and also a reference to another hero that I thought was a really nice touch).
Even The Avengers itself can stand as its own movie. While it helps a lot to watch past films to better understand who these characters are, you can still walk in and understand just enough to get by, especially since the plot is so basic (bad guy threatens world, superheroes have differences but eventually team up to punch him).

It's definitely not for everyone though and I understand why anyone may not like it (and totally understand why after BvS some people, even fans of the genre, are feeling fatigued). And many properties and IPs really need to just be standalone films that don't need shared universes or even typical sequels. And I also understand the feeling of needing to watch all the films to most understand things, as that's something that I myself am finding myself set to do with both Marvel and DC (it helps that I've mostly enjoyed all of it). I'm just throwing in my own thoughts on it all.

Also Infinity War is two parts, so it's probably closer to being a 4.5-5 hour total product.
#1094 Posted: 20:53:55 16/04/2016
Kind of like what Bifrost said. Yes, I know it happens all the time in comics and that's one thing. But doing in movies is different. It's not as easy to have a trilogy of movies like with a comic crossover where the first part is solely a build-up origin story for the event/villain, 2 has an initial confrontation where the bad guy emerges, then 3 has the actual battle with no build up or plot other than dialogue during the fight. Then each character's respective comic gets 1 issue after the crossover to deal with aftermath and have character development. This is just a rough example I'm making up, but the point is that comics can get away with it alot easier than movies. Movies have a more restricted time and can't as easily stop right in the middle of the big fight and say "OK, to be continued next time." and when using such a large cast should give a fair amount of screen time with each character and deal with each. That way an Avengers film doesn't turn into "Captain America and Iron Man featuring the Avengers and cameos of others".

I will agree that superhero movies are the only ones that make it work as well as it does, but even then, I still feel it doesn't work perfectly and only for so long. I do also agree that some can stand on their own and be good, like the first Iron Man, like you'd said. I liked that one. I'm mostly referring to the Avengers films & some of the Captain America movies like Civil War as well as the upcoming Spiderman who's title alone seems to imply some iffy things like it being about him coming home after the big fight. I'd rather see a standalone film than one of him dealing with aftermath. I love Spidey and I already have little interest in MCU's Spidey. Some of the earlier films in the MCU were fine, it's just the further it goes on and the bigger the crossovers get, the more I find myself getting turned off and not just for the crossover films like Avengers.

And now hearing that about Infinity War being 2 parts, I'm even more unsure about it as it leaves me a bit nervous as to how they'll leave things off in the first.

I do respect that others like it and have nothing against them for doing so. I just personally feel it isn't worth the hype.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:57:40 16/04/2016 by Seiki
#1095 Posted: 21:45:22 17/04/2016
Okay, time to get this schlock off my chest. I have been waiting a while to tell you this, but I wanted to think about the wording before I type it up.

The MAIN reason why I don't like the "popular" shows (Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, MLP, etc) other than the shows not being in my interest, has actually NOTHING to do with the shows themselves.

It is the fanbase.

I KNOW not all fans of these shows are bad, but each show's fanbases have their own issues.

I am actually really tired of seeing OC "pony" characters when I am looking up some of my favorite movies. For example, sometimes when I look up something like Inside Out or Wreck-it Ralph, I OFTEN see 'pony" versions of some of my favorite characters, and I feel really insulted for some reason. Plus, bronies are pretty much "running the internet" sort of speak.

Steven Universe fans I have heard made a passionate DeviantArtist commit suicide because of one change in a drawing. You know the one (possibly)! I don't really like the show, but I admire her artistic passionate love for a show. And because some butthurts griped her to death made me REALLY hate the fanbase.

As for Gravity Falls fans; they are just about as "everywhere" as bronies (but not really), and they aren't as infamous as SU fanbases, but I have heard some rash things said by them. I've heard that the fanbase has some members that are like dictators, FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON PEOPLE. I have heard that you shouldn't FORCE your beliefs on another person, but I am afraid to try to speak up and say that there are other good Disney shows (I know, subjective), but I am afraid that, since this fanbase is gargantuan (especially on DeviantArt and YouTube), they might maul me to death (metaphorically)

I know why people like these three shows, but the butthurt fanbases can ruin an entire thing. I apologize if I feel like I am pushing some of my favorite things (Frozen, Pokémon, Inside Out, etc), I just don't mean any harm.

I also apologize if this offended anyone, I was not trying to do that.

I am glad I got to say this, thank you.
Keep on keeping on, friends! smilie smilie
---
#1096 Posted: 22:00:53 17/04/2016
I actually like the Undertale community.
---
#1097 Posted: 01:08:09 18/04/2016
Quote: CAV

I'm not sure of the opinion on these movies in the Christian communities but to my knowledge both the film and it's sequel have been thrashed to all hell for a lot of the reasons you listed. Is it really that unpopular an opinion?

From the perspective I'm looking at it from, yeah:

Quote:
Also, this may not come off as an unpopular opinion to most considering the negative critical reception God's Not Dead got, but I've noticed that a LOT of Christians put this movie in high regard and say it's an excellent movie. Even at my own Church and student ministry I seem to be the only Christian who hated this movie.

For the most part, I'm referring to it as unpopular from a Christian perspective.

Both films did get absolutely trashed by critics, but audience reception from Christians is at an all time high for the first God's Not Dead. The vast majority of Christians that I've seen online talk about the movie and that I know personally absolutely adore this movie. They think it's amazing and inspirational. The reaction that Christians have given to me when I say I hate it are really mixed. Some people respect me and decide to just agree to disagree, other times they've been in absolute shock that I disliked it. A few people have actually insulted me because I disliked the film.

I can't say how the second one will fair just yet because I haven't talked to anyone personally about it yet, but I'm guessing it will probably be the same reaction. I work at a movie theater, and apparently during one of the showtimes for the second film the entire audience sang during the end of the film(I didn't see it personally so what exactly the scene was they were singing along too I don't know, but my guess is that it was another concert scene like at the end of the first film). Mind you, this showtime in particular was a full house.

This happens with pretty much the vast majority of Christian films, not just God's Not Dead. I think the reason is because Christian audiences, like the film itself as I initially mentioned, get too wrapped up with the message of the movie more so than actually caring about the movie itself. Unless it's a biblical epic from the 50s-60s or one of Dreamworks' animated films(I can't exactly say how it is from a wide perspective on that part, but from personal experience, those seem to be the only Christian films that pretty much everyone enjoys whether you're religious or not), Christians seem to always have the opposite reaction that every other audience has towards these films because they focus on what the message is more than whether or not the movie itself is good.

That being said, the only positive thing about God's Not Dead that I forgot to mention is that it at least tried to make the debates between the student and teacher balanced and logical, and they tried their best to make both sides of the argument make sense. Ultimately this falls apart(mostly because of how much they portray the teacher as a horrible person), but they at least tried. And this single positive is kind of why I'm upset that the film was this bad. Had it been unbiased, It could've been a pretty good movie, I think, and could've brought up a lot of discussion.

EDIT: I noticed I was mentioning a lot of personal experience about the film. I do want to emphasize that these are also observations I've made from a general perspective, not just from a personal one.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:15:03 18/04/2016 by pankakesparx456
First | Previous | Page 22 of 54 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 52 53 54

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me