Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Honest opinion, does S&N need an age restriction?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Honest opinion, does S&N need an age restriction? [CLOSED]
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#1 Posted: 04:17:51 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
like 13+? nearly every forum has a 13+ user age required.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8480
#2 Posted: 04:18:17 28/07/2014
Yes..
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#3 Posted: 04:18:54 28/07/2014
Yeah, probably
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#4 Posted: 04:19:38 28/07/2014
Yes, nobody of the age of 21 and above allowed!
#5 Posted: 04:20:09 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Mrmorrises

This would destroy the userbase by 75% lol
AmethystRose Yellow Sparx Gems: 1132
#6 Posted: 04:25:08 28/07/2014
Yes, I think it does. Some of the stuff posted here should be at least rated 13+. I make dirty jokes, but I hide them enough so that the little ones won't get it... Sort of like cartoon shows. Adult humor in a child-driven area. ;3
---
ϟ Break my heart, break me til I fall apart. ϟ
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#7 Posted: 04:26:01 28/07/2014
Quote: zer0dch

This would destroy the userbase by 75% lol

I'm JK, but I don't think it would destroy it by that much.
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#8 Posted: 04:27:19 28/07/2014
We need it...It's gosh dang ridiculous.
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
#9 Posted: 04:27:36 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Can we actually try to promote this? I honestly feel bad for some users who are under 13 that have to read some of the crap me and a bunch of other spew.

For instance, Eevee is eight. She really should not be on this forum.

Most forum's T.O.S. make you agree that you are 13 or older.

This place is just ridiculous
#10 Posted: 04:29:00 28/07/2014
Can we actually try to promote this? I honestly feel bad for some users who are under 13 that have to read some of the crap me and a bunch of other spew.

I thought the rules to this site was that it was recommended that you should be at least 13 years of age to join? Not a rule, no, but recommended.
---
#11 Posted: 04:30:16 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: AmethystRose

I thought the rules to this site was that it was recommended that you should be at least 13 years of age to join? Not a rule, no, but recommended.

I said most forums.

This is something I argued with dark52 back in the late 00's. This site seriously needs an age restriction.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#12 Posted: 04:31:38 28/07/2014
Likely, though many will likely still find a way to get around it. Even then, as proven, age =/= maturity. Sometimes some people just need to be more mature before not just entering S&N, but using the internet. *coughgnarlycough*

D':

I see how it is, hate you too... >.>
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#13 Posted: 04:31:59 28/07/2014
I agree. This site does need one. Maybe not for the games sections like Skylanders and the Spyro forums, but DEFINITELY for Stuff & Nonsense. But then again, people would just lie about their age then to get on... :/
---
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#14 Posted: 04:32:08 28/07/2014

People rarely follow recommendations or read the TOA, They would still be allowed in rp and forum games, but S&N really needs an age limit. I personally think it should be 14+, but whatever, as long as we don't have a bunch of ten year old skyro's running around not understanding the majority of the things that they are reading
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
#15 Posted: 04:34:10 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I agree. This site does need one. Maybe not for the games sections like Skylanders and the Spyro forums, but DEFINITELY for Stuff & Nonsense. But then again, people would just lie about their age then to get on... :/

Require users to sign up with their birthday *they could still lie though*, but never let them change it again, unless they contact an Admin.

Make S&N password protected.

Only give password out to users who are 13+.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#16 Posted: 04:41:06 28/07/2014
I think after the whole Gnarly debacle that this is needed, but I don't know how this would be enforced.
#17 Posted: 04:42:37 28/07/2014
Why give out passwords period?
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#18 Posted: 07:07:30 28/07/2014
Ah, this suggestion again.

I agree that S&N is not for everybody, but it's all because of the users themselves and what they like to post.
See, this is a Spyro and Skylanders Forum, it wouldn't make sense to prevent anybody else from using this board just because a couple of older users want a special place for their "adult" discussions.
I use quotation marks there because in reality, this board is full of nothing but ridiculous "trends" and joke topics that my seven-year-old cousin wouldn't find funny.

Seriously, the only thing that would reqire a level of basic self control (i.e. found in everyone) from all the users is ignoring the trolls.
Bam! There. Every single problem solved.

Now, you might wonder why all the fights and arguments do keep on happening if it's so easy to stop causing them, there's the real thing.
It's all because you want to argue, you want to see all the drama, you want ES to come over and try to cause a little "chaos".
Dozens and dozens of times over for five years I've read people say stuff like "Oh but dS wouldn't be fun without the drama", "I like flame wars because they're entertaining to read." and "Why did I miss this? I'm always offline when fights break up."

It's not that people really care about the underlying problem. They just want to keep enjoying it and not have anyone else to come mess things up. The thing is, this is not the place for it. Asking for an age restriction for S&N is like pleading for the pros but not wanting the cons. It won't happen.

It's also a bad idea because there really is no way of preventing everyone under the biological age of 13 from using this board.
A password? A password can be leaked.
An age barrier? You can modify your age on your profile.
And if nothing else, other users can always simply lurk the board. Quite literally nothing would change.
#19 Posted: 07:09:16 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Samius
Ah, this suggestion again.

I agree that S&N is not for everybody, but it's all because of the users themselves and what they like to post.
See, this is a Spyro and Skylanders Forum, it wouldn't make sense to prevent anybody else from using this board just because a couple of older users want a special place for their "adult" discussions.
I use quotation marks there because in reality, this board is full of nothing but ridiculous "trends" and joke topics that my seven-year-old cousin wouldn't find funny.

Seriously, the only thing that would reqire a level of basic self control (i.e. found in everyone) from all the users is ignoring the trolls.
Bam! There. Every single problem solved.

Now, you might wonder why all the fights and arguments do keep on happening if it's so easy to stop causing them, there's the real thing.
It's all because you want to argue, you want to see all the drama, you want ES to come over and try to cause a little "chaos".
Dozens and dozens of times over for five years I've read people say stuff like "Oh but dS wouldn't be fun without the drama", "I like flame wars because they're entertaining to read." and "Why did I miss this? I'm always offline when fights break up."

It's not that people really care about the underlying problem. They just want to keep enjoying it and not have anyone else to come mess things up. The thing is, this is not the place for it. Asking for an age restriction for S&N is like pleading for the pros but not wanting the cons. It won't happen.

It's also a bad idea because there really is no way of preventing everyone under the biological age of 13 from using this board.
A password? A password can be leaked.
An age barrier? You can modify your age on your profile.
And if nothing else, other users can always simply lurk the board. Quite literally nothing would change.

this board is going to just pile up with **** then, quite honestly
#20 Posted: 07:15:42 28/07/2014

But it's the users themselves that are causing all that. **** doesn't just appear on it's own.

We are the population of darkSpyro forums, and we make all of the topic content. If this was really a problem to everybody then we would simply act as a cohesive whole to solve it.

That's how we work with all the short-tempered trolls who we really want gone. We bombard them until they lash out and get banned.
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#21 Posted: 07:34:21 28/07/2014
You realise telling a bunch of 12 year olds they're too 'immature' to post on a forum is just going to make them 10x more interested in posting here right?
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#22 Posted: 07:38:46 28/07/2014
S&N shouldn't be age restricted anyone can post here no matter what. It's a part of the forum that I honestly don't think should be here but since it is you can't just say get lost to all the young people because not every topic is inappropriate.
---
#23 Posted: 08:06:25 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crookshanks
suggested

rejected

by the decent amount of responses in this thread suggesting there should be an age limit, you're wrong.

obvy dark52 has yet to make a comment, although I'm sure he would deny it. It will probably end up being rejected.
#24 Posted: 08:21:08 28/07/2014
Quote: dark52
Denied
- Any kind of age related limits

gg

Rekt.
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#25 Posted: 08:46:05 28/07/2014
But then I can't be here then lol.
#26 Posted: 09:03:51 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
suggested

rejected

by the decent amount of responses in this thread suggesting there should be an age limit, you're wrong.

obvy dark52 has yet to make a comment, although I'm sure he would deny it. It will probably end up being rejected.

thats were ur wrong hunny bun bun <3

Denied

gg

and thats also where you look like an asshole
#27 Posted: 09:10:02 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pixilism

gg

and thats also where you look like an asshole

an asshole pointing out that it was already denied??????

well **** there might just be a new definition of asshole i havent heard about

no, not exactly. dark hasnt even aknowledged the suggestion from what ive seen. i think its a great idea to put an age restriction, and many others seem to feel like its a good idea. i was just saying that dark probably would deny it.

doesnt mean croockshanks or you have to be complete jerks about it.

edit:

Denied

gg

I didn't see this in your post. I'm glad dark said something about it, but I would like to understand why he feels that way.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:15:18 28/07/2014 by zer0dch
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#28 Posted: 12:55:25 28/07/2014
If we do try to promote this... can it start on April 24 2015?
I'll be 13 then.
---
now its time to get funky
#29 Posted: 12:59:55 28/07/2014
Maybe S&N can be a hidden board where you need clarification. And when you're in here you'll be in the cool big boy club.
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#30 Posted: 13:10:08 28/07/2014
I agree with Samius on this one. Restricting S&N won't help much because younger users will always be joining on here, let alone always finding ways to get into S&N if it WAS restricted, i.e. A birthday change. Adding the restriction will only make things more complicated than they have to be.

And you guys can't make the argument that you don't want younger kids to see your "adult" conversations. 1: age=/=maturity. 2: you were the people who chose to make these conversations in this board in the first place, just because dark is more lenient on rule-breaking here. If any kid sees your conversations, you have only yourself to blame because you guys purposely make these "jokes" only in this board. You have the choice of saying that kind of stuff, a board that isn't as strict on the rules doesn't determine that.
---
Cool cool.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#31 Posted: 13:26:11 28/07/2014
how about making a another forum.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
Eevee88 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4424
#32 Posted: 13:47:25 28/07/2014
1. I am not an immature kid.
2. If s&n got a age liment, I would quit dark spyro.
---
Heading out, my liege? A commission, I presume? Then I shall accompany you. Just...ah, allow me to indulge in one more chapter...
huge dotd freak Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#33 Posted: 14:01:07 28/07/2014
Definitely
---
Do you not like my mouth words?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#34 Posted: 14:05:20 28/07/2014
I used to think we did, but probably not.

What difference is it going to make? Many of the people you want to restrict from being here don't actually come here. And when they do, I don't see them doing a whole lot that's wrong. They should have the ability and freedom to come here and lurk or post whatever they please in the same way we have the ability to lurk the sections they go to. Also allowing them to post and lurk here can allow them to mature and get out of the protective bubbles they're currently in. I don't mean that you can walk around flaming each and every one. But if we don't allow them to post here or even look at the section, how will they ever learn? What'll happen is we'll just laugh and criticize them for being immature at the age of 13-14, when they could've grown up if we had let them come here sooner.

And it's worth noting that Baro was under 13 when she first started posting in this section. If we had an age restriction, she only would've started posting here a year ago. I don't think anybody here would've wanted her to wait. And while Baros aren't common among the younger users, we shouldn't stop any from coming in here should they want to.

I want to think that by raising the age limit we'd be putting in some sort of quality standard on the section, but it won't make a difference, and I get the feeling S&N was never supposed to have a standard of quality anyway.

EDIT: Sleepy's suggestion of a new section for mature discussion/jokes is a more practical idea (dS After Dark?). But it probably won't happen.

Most of the ****ty topics that get posted here are posted by people 13+. Putting in an age restriction will change nothing.

If you want better quality, do what you can to make and encourage it, rather than blocking out other users because you don't think they can provide anything worth our time.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:07:30 28/07/2014 by CAV
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#35 Posted: 14:33:49 28/07/2014
Age doesn't equal maturity.

If you're worried that a younger user will see something inappropriate, just don't post it. Punishing them to "help" them isn't really the answer.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#36 Posted: 15:04:26 28/07/2014
Better idea: if users act immature, lock them out of certain boards. Is there a way where we can make a user unable to access certain boards?

When I was 11 or 12 I was mature enough I could pass for a far older user, so really as many others have said, it's maturity, not age.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#37 Posted: 15:07:30 28/07/2014
The Internet needs a maturity filter.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#38 Posted: 16:04:49 28/07/2014
Make a another forum.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#39 Posted: 17:26:14 28/07/2014
Quote: Doomslicer
Better idea: if users act immature, lock them out of certain boards. Is there a way where we can make a user unable to access certain boards?

When I was 11 or 12 I was mature enough I could pass for a far older user, so really as many others have said, it's maturity, not age.

At least on FreeForums you can set it up so certain users can't access certain sections to the point of only viewing or not being able to enter at all. I knew of a Bakugan forum where the Trade section was unviewable unless you were the equivalent of a Green Sparx.

I'm not sure on how the admin controls are set up for darkSpyro but it is most definatly possible to do that on a forum.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#40 Posted: 17:28:54 28/07/2014
People say they don't even know I'm 8.... So maybe users can do whatever they want if they take a quiz for a fourm?
---
Heading out, my liege? A commission, I presume? Then I shall accompany you. Just...ah, allow me to indulge in one more chapter...
Mad Jack1123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1766
#41 Posted: 17:37:10 28/07/2014
Yeah it depends on maturity level eevee is more mature than most people on this site 12 and under, for example treesex was 12 I think and eevee is 10 times more mature. I needed this, yeah I was a d*ck when I joined but this site helped me learn internet skills that made me more well liked. I learned that sometimes people seem mean but you are the one with their head up your ass.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
#42 Posted: 17:38:33 28/07/2014
What ma jack said... Well not the bad words...

@Cynderfan True very true.
---
Mad Jack1123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1766
#43 Posted: 17:42:34 28/07/2014
Or the mods can keep an eye on younger users. If this rule were to talk effect everyone on the forum under 13 should be able to stay but no new people under 13.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me