Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
An Old TLoS Topic [CLOSED]
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#1 Posted: 22:59:51 18/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I decided to look through the News and Updates section of this website, and I noticed a few topics about The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. Damn, I wish I was there earlier, because this topic is now closed.

[User Posted Image]

Anyway, I think this was during a time when the ad didn't come to TV yet. When it did, I instantly rejected the game, because I was expecting a sequel to Spyro: Shadow Legacy and NOT a reboot with a new, crocodilian-faced Spyro (that's how I thought of TLoS Spyro back then, not now). My concerns blew through the roof right there.

However, there was actually another user who was concerned about the game earlier than I was. He wasn't bashing the game, like I would have back then, but he was still concerned...

Quote: jamieque (inactive fodder)
I honestly don't know what to think about the new game. I think it is going to be a nice change but unfortunately, the franchise still looks the same. The new game looks more action packed then its predecessors but I still can't bring myself to be excited about it. Which is surprising considering the fact I am writting a fanfiction series on Fanfiction.net based on this franchise. I was hoping that this game would take the franchise forward by bring a more mature edge to Spyro and his friends. What's wrong VU? Is it that difficult to do a decent mature Spyro game with a good story that allows Spyro and the rest of his friends to be fleshed out into more complete individuals? Never mind, sorry I even asked that question. So VU is going to go backwards in time and try and revise, revamp and reimagine Spyro's origin story. *sigh* The fact that this game is suppose to be a prequel worries me for some reason. I really think that this game is the start of a new cannon for Spyro. Many of you like the new look of this game I for one hope that the storyline is done well. Krome as this game maker or is it Sierra Entertainment... blast! I hate the way VU keeps shopping Spyro around like a orphan. I wish they would just stick with one development team and not the dozens they have used so far.

I am happy they are getting some Hollywood talent to do the voices of Spyro and the new characters but I still feel like VU is making the wrong changes to this franchise and making to many mistakes. I know many of you will disagree with me but think about it. The Spyro franchise has been 'running in place' storywise since the original trilogy of games that introduced the world to the little guy. Wouldn't most of you like to play a more grown up Spyro game that managed to balance out the best of the old gameplay elements and mix in some new elements that make things come alive again.

I want the new game to do well but I also realize that VU doesn't really know what they are doing when it comes to Spyro. I am not asking for perfection but I would like them to at least CARE about Spyro and his friends and do a proper story that takes the best elements of the past games and mix them with fresh new ideas that stay within story continuity and allows Spyro to tackle new challenges. How about a new Spyro game storyline that spans three games and uses a duel storyline formula. Throw in some new complex villians that are actually threatening and intelligent for change. Take Spyro and his friends to new locations or realms that have never been seen before. Introduce some new charaters and for once let them ALL play a part in the story. And no I am not talking about A Hero's Tale either. Do a rpgish type game with all the characters or at least make the gameplay deep enough to involve all the characters. I would like to play a Spyro game for once that begins and ends with some actual character development. Let's face it people no matter how good the new game sounds does it really live up to Spyro game you truly want.

Considering the amount money that VU is spending on this game I really think they should have considered taking Spyro forward and letting him finally break out of the stagnant mold they have him lock into. Instead they decide to take trip down their version of Spyro's memory lane. Hell, they could of at least brought in some of Spyro's original creators to put in their two cents storywise. I for one will play the new game but as of now I don't really like what VU are doing. Maybe I care too much about this character... I don't know but as a storyteller and writer I know this isn't the path or direction I would have taken if I was the one doing the story. Oh well, unfortunately, I am not the one doing it. Still it does look like it is going to be good game. I wish them luck with it.

I kind of have to agree with this guy, right here. He probably didn't know about Spyro: Shadow Legacy, though. jamieque didn't think that, when he said, "Do an rpgish type game with all the characters," a game like that already existed. I know it failed, but it existed. I feel like The Legend of Spyro should have been that "proper story that takes the best elements of the past games and mix[es] them with fresh new ideas that stay within story continuity and allows Spyro to tackle new challenges." I feel like The Legend of Spyro should have been a direct sequel to Spyro: Shadow Legacy, rather than a "trip down their version of Spyro's memory lane." I mean, the series did have some good ideas...

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I just wish that the lines and the story plots weren't as if they were constantly referencing movies, urban jokes or anything like that ("Spyro, we're not in Kansas, anymore..."). I also wish that they didn't make the series to be an entire reboot in general, because they threw out some MAJOR characters that really could have made a BIG difference in the series (Hunter became so minor that he only gets the strongest lines in the beginning in the last game, but at least he got more light than Elora, Bianca, the Professor, Blink, Tomas, Red, Agent 9, Sgt. Byrd, etc.). I can see that they're changing the style just to make the series work, but it was costly in the last game (damn you, marketing).

I'm hoping that Sony does something quick. Even though Spyro's getting something with Skylanders, I'm hoping he actually gets out of that "neverbreak" crystal...
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:03:58 18/07/2014 by LocoGuy107
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#2 Posted: 16:06:41 19/07/2014
heh, I've heard of Jamieque before on fanfiction.net, his stories are quite unique, in a good way though.
I say that so long as Spyro and all of his friends can escape the skylanders, I'm happy. After all, the skylanders should have themselves an end, it has to come eventually.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#3 Posted: 04:45:20 20/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: theuone
I say that so long as Spyro and all of his friends can escape the skylanders, I'm happy. After all, the skylanders should have themselves an end, it has to come eventually.

I've seen it happen before with UB Funkeys. The only difference is that it became defunct three years, as opposed to a probable four, maybe six years later. Yes, guys, this WILL happen.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#4 Posted: 07:58:05 20/07/2014
i remember the UB Funkeys, it was sad to see them go.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
S P Y R O Blue Sparx Gems: 953
#5 Posted: 19:25:12 09/08/2014
Skylanders has gotten repetitive and lame. Spyro's adventure, though the purple dragon being ugly, was rather enjoyable. I found giants easy (too easy) but swap force? Come on! They're running outta ideas! Trap team? Oh.... crumbs.

I very much enjoyed tlos and I wish that they made a game with many tlos similarities such as: in depth plot line, great meelee moves and elements, furies (elemental furies! smilie are epic) and much more. I personally love spyro's design by krome studios. I think he just looked like a proper dragon in my opinion. However, I think they could've used the characters from the classic series to e.g. Involve more female characters and make them absolutely AWESOME! 'Cause there were only TWO girls in tlos.
---
Spyro is cool, Spyro is cool. Anyone doesn't think Spyro's cool, must be a banana. smilie smilie
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#6 Posted: 20:42:37 09/08/2014
In depth plot. Hah, I think Swap Force had a better overall plot than LOS and it's the one I hate with a passion. And Spyro looks like a lizard instead of purple dog with horns in Skylanders at least.
Now, if someone made LOS more than a Star Wars/LOTR rip off, maybe we can talk. If not, I take my ram-horned guy with a personality past 'chosen one', please.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#7 Posted: 21:26:36 09/08/2014
Quote: S P Y R O
Skylanders has gotten repetitive and lame. Spyro's adventure, though the purple dragon being ugly, was rather enjoyable. I found giants easy (too easy) but swap force? Come on! They're running outta ideas! Trap team? Oh.... crumbs.

I very much enjoyed tlos and I wish that they made a game with many tlos similarities such as: in depth plot line, great meelee moves and elements, furies (elemental furies! smilie are epic) and much more. I personally love spyro's design by krome studios. I think he just looked like a proper dragon in my opinion. However, I think they could've used the characters from the classic series to e.g. Involve more female characters and make them absolutely AWESOME! 'Cause there were only TWO girls in tlos.

i can totally agree with you on this..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:26:53 09/08/2014 by CountMoneyBone
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#8 Posted: 03:54:08 25/09/2014
To be honest, I think tLoS is my favourite series out of all the Spyros. smilie
Don't get me wrong, I loved the Classics with the platforming and quirkiness, but Legend won me over with the story and the darkness. Boy, I have so many headcannons/AUs that make tLoS so much more darker. smilie
I think what I love the most in games is probably the story element (but of course if the gameplay or graphics aren't desirable I won't play it), a game that has a great story that I can really get into would be one of my favourites; tLoS being one of those games/series. smilie
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#9 Posted: 11:44:27 25/09/2014
Thank god for my internet finally getting faster after this topic first sank, forgot about the usual image page stretchers.

The headcanon makes the franchise good for you, but it's a lot more about that relationship than the actual series. Actually, give it time, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to Skylanders - that place is an absolute ocean of worldbuilding that even a High School AU might as well be possible in its canon.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Koolpostman Ripto Gems: 0
#10 Posted: 23:51:46 31/10/2014
What's a high school AU?

And that's an interesting find there.
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#11 Posted: 23:58:00 31/10/2014
Quote: Koolpostman
What's a high school AU?

And that's an interesting find there.

Only you would bump your own topic Loco...
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7752
#12 Posted: 02:49:04 02/11/2014
oh my god TOO LONG DID NOT READ
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#13 Posted: 18:40:56 02/11/2014
At first, I was interested when I heard this being a prequel to the original game but when it became a reboot, I said "Nope! That's it! No more Spyro!"

I was 16 and I felt that the Spyro has lost it's way from it's PS1 days.

Time has long past, I have a PS2, PS3 and Wii. I'm wondering if I should try and play the actual games for some bile fascination like Sonic 06 or if I'm better off just leaving it be.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#14 Posted: 18:52:05 02/11/2014
^ I played LoS just to see the trainwreck unfold. It's worth it if you don't get sucked into the games' sense of over dramatics. :D
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#15 Posted: 19:26:27 02/11/2014
^That's good to know. I've already all the demented Michael Bay-esque cutscenes of Resi 6 on YouTube, some of those "sex scenes" or Ride to Hell in some of the reviews, saw most of Sonic 06 as a whole on Game Grumps, plus there's the fact I saw most of Transformers: Energon years ago and even watch the whole first Twilight movie.

In terms of cringe-worthiness, it'll be hard for Legend of Spyro to top all that.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me