Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 (Shot Down by a Missile)
Page 1 of 1
Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 (Shot Down by a Missile) [CLOSED]
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#1 Posted: 03:13:01 18/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I can't believe I'm making another topic like this. Just when I thought the occupy Crimea crisis couldn't get anymore desperate, this happens.

I feel so sorry for Malaysian Airlines, if this doesn't completely destroy their business, I don't believe anything will. Maybe now the search for MH370 will either be swept under the carpet, or it'll share the same spotlight.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:36:51 19/07/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#2 Posted: 03:35:22 18/07/2014
Oh so they found out what caused it? Wow
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#3 Posted: 05:27:35 18/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: DragonCamo
Oh so they found out what caused it? Wow

The impact was viewed by a few people, there's no need for an investigation on what caused the crash.

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:29:10 18/07/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#4 Posted: 05:58:12 19/07/2014
[User Posted Image]

We have no place to judge as of now, but it's plausible that Russia could've shot it down to try and pin blame on Ukraine and claim that the area is unstable and in need of Russian "assistance".

But to be frank all I really know is that the plane has been shot down; I know little about who did it or who is pointing fingers at whom.
#5 Posted: 06:17:52 19/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
We have no place to judge as of now, but it's plausible that Russia could've shot it down to try and pin blame on Ukraine and claim that the area is unstable and in need of Russian "assistance".

But to be frank all I really know is that the plane has been shot down; I know little about who did it or who is pointing fingers at whom.

Everyone is pinning the blame on Russia. And really, who can blame them? Just look at Russia's history in the past 100 years. Constantly having to be at war with other nations seems like a necessity for Russia. It's understandable to make hasty and irrational decisions at this time, although Ukraine seems to be blaming Russia at every chance they get...

What I can't understand is who befits from this? If Ukraine did it, why? Do they want a legitimate reason to go to war with Russia? They don't have the numbers to even defend their own land, let alone invade.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:18:14 19/07/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#6 Posted: 10:22:27 19/07/2014
Quote: Spyro Fanatic

Everyone is pinning the blame on Russia. And really, who can blame them? Just look at Russia's history in the past 100 years. Constantly having to be at war with other nations seems like a necessity for Russia. It's understandable to make hasty and irrational decisions at this time, although Ukraine seems to be blaming Russia at every chance they get...

What I can't understand is who befits from this? If Ukraine did it, why? Do they want a legitimate reason to go to war with Russia? They don't have the numbers to even defend their own land, let alone invade.

Ukraine does, USA does, the west generally does.

You have to look at the big picture. Ukraine doesn't want a war with Russia, but it's current goverment largely depends on western support, and this makes for good anti-separatist propaganda for Ukraine and the west (this topic being a good example).
The thing is that we don't really know who downed the plane, but the location it happened in is a strong indicator, and western medias make good use of that. And most, if not all, of what the average citizen of the USA or the EU hears comes from the media.

In the same way this also makes for good anti-Russia propaganda for the USA and the EU, which do have a big political struggle going on at the moment. I think it's very clear that Russian forces weren't responsible for shooting down the plane. I'm thinking the separatists, or Ukranian forces.
#7 Posted: 11:46:52 19/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Samius

Ukraine does, USA does, the west generally does.

You have to look at the big picture. Ukraine doesn't want a war with Russia, but it's current goverment largely depends on western support, and this makes for good anti-separatist propaganda for Ukraine and the west (this topic being a good example).
The thing is that we don't really know who downed the plane, but the location it happened in is a strong indicator, and western medias make good use of that. And most, if not all, of what the average citizen of the USA or the EU hears comes from the media.

In the same way this also makes for good anti-Russia propaganda for the USA and the EU, which do have a big political struggle going on at the moment. I think it's very clear that Russian forces weren't responsible for shooting down the plane. I'm thinking the separatists, or Ukranian forces.

Thats a good summary. I personally think it was the pro-Russian separatists too, then again, if you want to falsely prove your "strength", claiming responsibility for it is the best way to do it. Theres still too little information at this moment and what is reported are speculations and repeated statements.
#8 Posted: 16:06:38 19/07/2014

I wouldn't at all say it is something to look at the past 100 years for. The Czar period of Russia, the USSR, and modern day Russia are three separate things with different kinds of rule. USSR was never really at "war" per say more than it was a matter of Stalin being a paranoid git and then them trying to spread the word of Communism like a giant Jehovah's Witness (not to say that the US was innocent throughout the Cold War; they were just as bad). You can't look towards Yeltsin or Gorbachov as examples of why Russia could do what they potentially did, as those two leaders wouldn't do that.

No; you look at Putin.

When we think about the Ukraine crisis on the Russian side, or Russian's foreign policies and attitude as a whole, we have to look towards Putin and figure out how he operates. Problem is that Putin is such a wild card that I can't really say for sure if he would go as far as to shoot down a passenger jet in a ploy to take control of what he would consider an unstable nation.

And because I know little about Ukraine and how their forces/citizens act, I can't at all make judgement about what they could do. I'm relatively ignorant of the larger situation at hand, as there are so many sides to it that it becomes difficult to keep track unless you specifically follow after it. Samius could very well be right, but I don't know enough of the current Ukraine situation to know for sure.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:07:14 19/07/2014 by CAV
#9 Posted: 16:41:50 19/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Problem is that Putin is such a wild card that I can't really say for sure if he would go as far as to shoot down a passenger jet in a ploy to take control of what he would consider an unstable nation.

If he's putting on a facade, he's doing it rather well. I'd doubt he'd go to such an extreme to gain a stable foothold in Ukraine.

For all we know this could be an accident, and if it is, it's incredibly careless.
#10 Posted: 09:02:09 20/07/2014
Problem is that Putin is such a wild card that I can't really say for sure if he would go as far as to shoot down a passenger jet in a ploy to take control of what he would consider an unstable nation.

If he's putting on a facade, he's doing it rather well. I'd doubt he'd go to such an extreme to gain a stable foothold in Ukraine.

For all we know this could be an accident, and if it is, it's incredibly careless.

Currently Putin is just playing the "I didn't touch you! I didn't touch you!" -game with the EU. He admires the old Russian Empire and wants to return his country to it's former glory, but he knows he can't steamroll over eastern EU.

However, Russia does also have good relationships with Finland and Germany (Which is probably why the USA likes to spy on us so much), and Putin is not hell-bent on military conquest.
#11 Posted: 18:35:55 20/07/2014
U.S. Secretary of State claims the missile used was Russian.

I'm aware of how some people in the comments (also this was felt on Imgur too) that the most important thing to do right now is to give the bodies a proper burial and to remember the victims. But I personally feel that the most important thing to do is to find out who's responsible for their deaths and make them face the consequences of their actions.

Quote: article
.....while Britain said Moscow faced "pariah" status and the threat of further economic sanctions.

These should not be the consequences. It didn't stop Russia with Crimea and it probably won't stop them now.

I highly doubt it was an accident. It's far too unlikely that a single missile was shot on accident and just so happened to hit a plane dead on. You have to aim to pull something like that off.

Quote: Samius
However, Russia does also have good relationships with Finland and Germany (Which is probably why the USA likes to spy on us so much), and Putin is not hell-bent on military conquest.

The US just wants to spy on everybody. I doubt your alliance with Russia makes that much of a difference; they were gonna spy anyway.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:37:08 20/07/2014 by CAV
#12 Posted: 12:53:48 21/07/2014

How am I not amazed at all that US officials immediately pin the blame on Russia?

Sure, it's quite obvious that russian forces have supported the separatists (for their own ends), so the AA-system they used to bring down the plane could very well have been russian. Still, I highly doubt that they would directly assist them.

The US just wants to spy on everybody. I doubt your alliance with Russia makes that much of a difference; they were gonna spy anyway.

Probably, but I do believe it makes a difference in their motives.

It's not an alliance per se, Finland is a part of the EU after all. We are in friendly terms with Russia, and so we have to for the sake of our national security.
#13 Posted: 17:53:09 21/07/2014
^The report also says things about transmissions, but there's little to really go on. Kerry isn't a very beloved politician around here because of things he's said in the past, so it could/should be taken with a grain of salt for now. But it was worth posting nonetheless.
#14 Posted: 18:10:59 21/07/2014
I agree. Any info we can dig up is welcome.
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#15 Posted: 20:40:15 21/07/2014
What's the thing with Malaysian flights and crashing?

Guess we'll have to wait and see who downed the plane.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me