Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > (Relatively) Family-Friendly Anime Sugestions?
Page 1 of 1
(Relatively) Family-Friendly Anime Sugestions? [CLOSED]
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#1 Posted: 23:37:43 06/07/2014 | Topic Creator
So anyway, in an anime mood as of late, but I'm trying to find some series that are pretty much ok for younger family members (think tween-level) to watch.

In case you're wondering what I define as relatively family-friendly
Violence is probably fine (if not overly gratuitous), but preferably not too much blood or gore. While a darker tone is ok, I'd rather something that's at least light-hearted some of the time. As for se[ns]ual content, preferably as little as possible (if it'll fly over younger viewers heads I don't mind as much), especially overt references or nudity. Nothing that would give a tween unaware of... certain facts many questions. Language, can live with but less is better. As for magic and all that, can live with it, but preferably not too many demons or outright spells.

So any recommendations? A general content overview would be helpful.

Currently have recently watched or am going through (now edited so others can get a general content idea)
A:tLA and LoK (ok, not actual anime, but might as well be) [nothing overtly inappropriate, though darker subject matter and some rather creepy and startling stuff for what you might mistakenly think of as kids' shows, good for fans young and old]
Noein [some blood, brief occasional reference (nothing serious so far), mild language, occasional drinking and drunkenness, and some creepy and unsettling imagery every now and then, can be enjoyed by younger and older fans]
Marvel Disk Wars [a show for kids, and perfectly suitable, older fans may enjoy it to laugh at it and the absurdity of the premise]
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing [while clean and not overly bloody, this show still has a lot of dark stuff, involving war and assassinations aplenty (some of it is lessened by narm and the at points cheesy dub though), and some mild language, can be enjoyed by younger and older fans]
Sanjougatti Transformers GO! [another show for kids, nothing wrong here, good for some laughs from older fans]
Spider Riders [haven't seen much, but nothing looks objectionable, cheesy as heck but also good for some unintentional laughs]

Might try
Transformers: Robots in Disguise

And have tried and don't really care for (though if they get a lot better later on or some other reason, you can mention them):

Figure 17 (if I want an anime to watch my younger sister, I might pick this back up sometime, but otherwise, while the combat is fun all the little twin girl slice of life doesn't make it worth it)
Angelic Layer (only saw a little, but looks rather dull and just another version of NT Warrior. If the combat gets good though I might pick it back up)
Dragonball Z Kai (saw quite a bit, but lost interest)

---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:04:37 10/07/2014 by Doomslicer
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#2 Posted: 23:38:27 06/07/2014
first of the north star
Cynderluv8801 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3305
#3 Posted: 23:40:04 06/07/2014
The World Is Still Beautiful is a pretty good anime
Log Horizon is also good

Most of the others I would put are not as family-friendly smilie
---
~ Nami One-Trick ~
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#4 Posted: 23:40:22 06/07/2014
Um...Bakugan is awesome and kid-friendly. smilie So is Huntik.
---
#hu
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#5 Posted: 23:44:58 06/07/2014
johnny test
Gage Platinum Sparx Gems: 6654
#6 Posted: 23:46:16 06/07/2014
Totoro.
---
Got it Memorized?
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#7 Posted: 23:47:07 06/07/2014
Pokemon! *shot*
#8 Posted: 23:50:16 06/07/2014
Oh, and Beyblade!
---
#hu
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#9 Posted: 23:51:21 06/07/2014
I don't know if this counts as "anime" or not, but Storm Hawks was a really great show, it was family friendly, yet could still get really intense at certain points. Be warned of a really sharp cut-off at the end of season two. The story doesn't really have a conclusion, it's non-completed.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#10 Posted: 00:01:25 07/07/2014
hamtaro c:

eh pretty much most anime aren't kid friendly. the best i can think of are studio ghibli movies, pokemon... I've heard card captor sakura is a good one (I haven't seen it myself, but the rating is only PG)
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:09:21 07/07/2014 by DarkCynder_543
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#11 Posted: 00:44:22 07/07/2014
Please Teacher, Deadman Wonderland, & Panty and Stocking for sure.

Seriously though... Cardcaptor Sakura.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#12 Posted: 00:53:44 07/07/2014
Ok I'm going this edit this post a stupid amount of times
http://myanimelist.net/anime/16918/Gin_no_Saji Silver Spoon
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1..._Machigatteiru. Oregairu
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9..._Mada_Shiranai. Anohana
http://myanimelist.net/anime/11771/Kuroko_no_Basket Kuroko (don't watch if you don't like sports anime)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2...a_Gurren_Lagann Gurren Lagann (mecha (fanservice is kinda weird))
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8...ruhi_no_Yuuutsu Haruhi (fanservice)

Pervy Section just in case
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1...e_Jama_****eiru Noucome
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6...t_to_Shoukanjuu not really pervy but whatever
http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life No Game No Life
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2..._Minna_Kawaisou Kawai Complex (sex jokes)

Magical and Gore Section just in case
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8..._Zombie_Desu_ka Is This A Zombie?
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2251/Baccano! Baccano
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari Bakemono
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15809/Hataraku_Maou-sama! Devil is a Part Timer
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10087/Fate/Zero Fate/Zero

I'm sorry I like anime and I have nothing to do
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:11:24 07/07/2014 by Ninpire
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#13 Posted: 00:59:04 07/07/2014
Well, Magi, the one I'm currently watching seems moderately family friendly. I don't think I've heard a single swear, and the visual art is more or less child-like.

Quote: Doomslicer
As for magic and all that, can live with it, but preferably not too many demons or outright spells.

Okay, nevermind. u.u;;
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:59:36 07/07/2014 by DummyZ
#14 Posted: 01:06:42 07/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
hamtaro c:

eh pretty much most anime aren't kid friendly. the best i can think of are studio ghibli movies, pokemon... I've heard card captor sakura is a good one (I haven't seen it myself, but the rating is only PG)

Tell me about it. Shame too, most western animation is junk or cancelled. Haven't watched the Studio Ghibli movies, but plan to. Seen the Pokemon anime, don't really care for it.

So what are the general content levels of some of those anime you mentioned? I.e. lots of blood, ribald jokes, other such descriptions? Sorry, hope I'm not sounding stroppy lol (for some reason I'm the only American I know who uses that word, too many international friends I guess :P)
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#15 Posted: 01:11:52 07/07/2014
Mine has non at all.
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#16 Posted: 01:23:47 07/07/2014
Quote: DarkCynder_543
hamtaro c:

Tell me about it. Shame too, most western animation is junk or cancelled. Haven't watched the Studio Ghibli movies, but plan to. Seen the Pokemon anime, don't really care for it.

So what are the general content levels of some of those anime you mentioned? I.e. lots of blood, ribald jokes, other such descriptions? Sorry, hope I'm not sounding stroppy lol (for some reason I'm the only American I know who uses that word, too many international friends I guess smilie)

For Cardcaptor Sakura, it's a magical girl series. Sakura finds a book of magic cards and opens it, the cards fly off and she has to use her magic powers and the cards she has collected to obtain all the cards. There is some romance, but nothing adult about it, just cutsy lovey-dovey junk. The action is good and the romance is ok, but can get too sappy at times. Warning, there are hints of yaoi going on as Syaroan has a crush on Yukito for part of it, then Yuktio & Toya are very much in love.....

Also, if you watch this series, you MUST watch the original japanese with subs. The dub is horrible, with bad voices, skipped episodes, out of order episodes, and was attempted to be turned more into an action series geared for a male audience which led to horribly butchered censoring.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#17 Posted: 01:30:27 07/07/2014
Quote: kardonis
I don't know if this counts as "anime" or not, but Storm Hawks was a really great show, it was family friendly, yet could still get really intense at certain points. Be warned of a really sharp cut-off at the end of season two. The story doesn't really have a conclusion, it's non-completed.

OH MY GOD YES. Everyone needs to watch Storm Hawks.

Family friendly anime tho. Sounds like you'll be into pretty much anything from the slice of life genre.

Hyouka is a great, cheerful anime. It's a cute anime about high school kids solving cute non-murder mysteries. Really funny characters too.
Ouran High School Host club, basically the anime equivilant of a rom-com. It's really cute and funny, but also gets really deep and meaningful.

You mentioned Durarara, and I'm not sure how family friendly that is... It's basically about gangs, and a headless demon on a motorcycle, and another demon who runs around slicing people up with a knife. I don't think there was much blood, but it did have a fairly dark tone. Oh, and as far as dubs and subs go, Ouran has a fairly good dub from what I've heard (I watched it subbed so I have no idea) but Hyouka is only subbed.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:32:21 07/07/2014 by Dragons-go-hrr
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#18 Posted: 01:35:29 07/07/2014
Pokemon?
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#19 Posted: 12:29:48 07/07/2014
What Cynderfan said Sailor Moon is awesome and despite what some may say it can be for all genders and ages not just 6 year old girls.I recommend the English sub of the Japanese version since many episodes were cut from the English version.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
#20 Posted: 13:09:05 07/07/2014
....i strongly urge you to watch silver spoon
#21 Posted: 15:31:14 07/07/2014
Spider Riders! It's super kiddy, but an amazing anime!
---
#hu
#22 Posted: 15:39:33 07/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dragons-go-hrr

OH MY GOD YES. Everyone needs to watch Storm Hawks.

Family friendly anime tho. Sounds like you'll be into pretty much anything from the slice of life genre.

Hyouka is a great, cheerful anime. It's a cute anime about high school kids solving cute non-murder mysteries. Really funny characters too.
Ouran High School Host club, basically the anime equivilant of a rom-com. It's really cute and funny, but also gets really deep and meaningful.

You mentioned Durarara, and I'm not sure how family friendly that is... It's basically about gangs, and a headless demon on a motorcycle, and another demon who runs around slicing people up with a knife. I don't think there was much blood, but it did have a fairly dark tone. Oh, and as far as dubs and subs go, Ouran has a fairly good dub from what I've heard (I watched it subbed so I have no idea) but Hyouka is only subbed.

Tried a few episodes of Stormhawks. Had it been another animation style, I might've liked it (that kind, however, just messes with my depth perception), but with that, along with being relatively dull and cliched outside of the action sequences (if that changes after a point, then I might pick it back up), and the lack of an ending, didn't care for it.

I actually rather dislike slice of life genre (unless it's a twisted version like Detentionaire), though I don't mind if it's included.

Ah ok, thanks for the warning.

Sorry, not really into magical girls (if there were less slice of life in it, I might watch Figure 17, but it's sci-fi and a bit more brutal than a lot in the Magical Girl genre, as is I'd only watch it with a younger sister maybe), and the tween I intend to maybe watch these with sure as heck ain't either :P

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :D
---
#23 Posted: 15:52:54 07/07/2014
Well, what does the tween like, interested in, etc? That could make it easier for us.
---
#hu
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#24 Posted: 15:54:14 07/07/2014
I would say Black Rock Shooter, but it can get pretty dull at times and you will basically have no ****ing clue what's happening half the time. Although the fights scenes i think are fantastic, just don't expect them constantly like you would think. It can get I guess trying to be emotional at times.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Thepokeman Blue Sparx Gems: 590
#25 Posted: 16:01:09 07/07/2014
Attack on tita-*shot*
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#26 Posted: 16:09:08 07/07/2014
You know you wanna watch Tokyo Mew Mew. nya~

I think D.N.Angel would classify as family friendly.

Quote: Rickorio
Um...Bakugan is awesome and kid-friendly. smilie So is Huntik.

That's not an anime, it's an Italian cartoon.
#27 Posted: 16:10:38 07/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Well, what does the tween like, interested in, etc? That could make it easier for us.

He doesn't really care, he just wants to watch stuff with me, but he prefers lots of action and shows of power.
He, like me, does get annoyed by hyper immaturity though.
---
#28 Posted: 16:35:39 07/07/2014
Hmmm....The first Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh: 5Ds are good for action and no immaturity.

I would recommend Death Note, but it's pretty much all about demons. smilie Huntik is amazing, and has an awesome storyline.

Bakugan (any season) is pretty good, as long as you can handle a little bit of immaturity, though it gets better through the series.

Spider Riders is an amazing series, as kiddy as it is. It gets you hooked after about three or so episodes. smilie
---
#hu
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#29 Posted: 17:57:39 07/07/2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doraemon
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#30 Posted: 23:25:41 07/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Ah Doraemon, nostalgia
But no
:P

Yeah, no way I'd let him watch Death Note, I did for a bit but disliked all the demons and heart attacks squick me out (probably more than blood does XD).

Spider Riders? Got it, I'll try an episode later.
---
#31 Posted: 00:16:49 08/07/2014

He doesn't really care, he just wants to watch stuff with me, but he prefers lots of action and shows of power.

If the kid likes shows of power then you may as well just give up because practically all power action anime have gore or sexuality thrown into the mix

BUT SILVER SPOON IS THE BEST SLICE OF LIFE SHOW EVER EVEN IF YOU DONT LIKE SLICE OF LIFE YOU WILL LIKE SILVER SPOON
#32 Posted: 00:23:36 08/07/2014
@ Doomslicer

It changes A LOT in season two. In fact, you might be able to skip all of season one and not have any issue with the story (aside from the occasional flashback).
---
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#33 Posted: 00:35:42 08/07/2014
obligatory boku no pico
#34 Posted: 02:18:56 08/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Ninpire

If the kid likes shows of power then you may as well just give up because practically all power action anime have gore or sexuality thrown into the mix

BUT SILVER SPOON IS THE BEST SLICE OF LIFE SHOW EVER EVEN IF YOU DONT LIKE SLICE OF LIFE YOU WILL LIKE SILVER SPOON

Aside from the Avatar-verse, though of course that's not actual anime.

Noein and the movie Advent Children aren't too gorey or inappropriate, and still have shows of power, but I suppose those are exceptions.

I only like slice of life if there's some good action or twists thrown in (though I imagine a good enough slice of life might change my mind)

@ Doomslicer

It changes A LOT in season two. In fact, you might be able to skip all of season one and not have any issue with the story (aside from the occasional flashback).

Ahhh ok
Still not sure if I'll watch though, dang unresolved endings (RIP Tron Uprising).
---
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#35 Posted: 02:56:42 08/07/2014
Futurecard Buddyfight
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#36 Posted: 17:04:14 08/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Saw the first two episodes of Spider Riders.
(Much like Gundam Wing) laughed quite hard, though not at the points they intended.
When you all said it was kiddish you certainly weren't joking. Which isn't entirely a bad thing, the narminess and cheesiness gives it an almost retro feel.
And I learned that if I'm ever trapped in a subterranean world (unless it be one filled with slugs), I'll continually shout out "ARACHNAPOWER" because it's magic and will do magicky things.

Looks... interesting, might keep watching, thanks
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me