First | Previous | Page 3 of 7 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reviews *Spoilers* [STICKY]
cynder1111 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1675
#101 Posted: 22:43:28 14/05/2009
i love Ember now! smilie
---
I know this is not the path you would choose for me...But i have to walk my own path...and do what i know is right....
Bongoro77 Red Sparx Gems: 26
#102 Posted: 23:20:36 19/05/2009
I only read to the bottom of the first page, and read a horrible review. The main fails on the review were on the combat, in which the user who reviewed it apparently didn't pay attention to the first few minutes of the game. Here is a list of corrections to the fails of that review:

Fail #1: Hold (x) to fly down, let go to drop. Tap (x) to flap your wings.
Fail #2: Up to go down, Down to go up. Standard flying controls for any game.
Fail #3: Fighting combos (Such as ([]) ([]) ([]) ([]) (^) ) are a useful, but unnecessary to use asset in combat. They are there, but you don't need to use them.
Fail #4: The camera rotation system that was used is standard among most games, and is very necessary to the game. You don't NEED to rotate the camera to your liking, but when you can, it is extremely useful. If you think you NEED to rotate the camera, go home.
Fail #5: I need to check back at the review, I know there was at least one more FAIL.

My review of this game:
Story: 10/10
Combat: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Difficulty: 10/10
-----
Overall rating: 10/10

-- I missed both of the other games in the series, so I might update if I get them!
Overall emotion: THIS GAME IS FRICKIN' AWESOME. Best spyro game to date. I don't believe how low people rate this game.... They just have no lives.
cynder1111 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1675
#103 Posted: 18:19:51 20/05/2009
coool this is awsome"ember"
---
I know this is not the path you would choose for me...But i have to walk my own path...and do what i know is right....
shadowdragon5 Blue Sparx Gems: 820
#104 Posted: 14:06:26 02/07/2009
overall i giv it 10/10. i had alot of fun playing DotD, hated the orbs though
---
Aww, I wanted to explode.
HIR Hunter Gems: 5551
#105 Posted: 03:09:31 05/07/2009
Quote: Bongoro77

I only read to the bottom of the first page, and read a horrible review. The main fails on the review were on the combat, in which the user who reviewed it apparently didn't pay attention to the first few minutes of the game. Here is a list of corrections to the fails of that review:

Fail #1: Hold (x) to fly down, let go to drop. Tap (x) to flap your wings.
Fail #2: Up to go down, Down to go up. Standard flying controls for any game.
Fail #3: Fighting combos (Such as ([]) ([]) ([]) ([]) (^) ) are a useful, but unnecessary to use asset in combat. They are there, but you don't need to use them.
Fail #4: The camera rotation system that was used is standard among most games, and is very necessary to the game. You don't NEED to rotate the camera to your liking, but when you can, it is extremely useful. If you think you NEED to rotate the camera, go home.
Fail #5: I need to check back at the review, I know there was at least one more FAIL.

My review of this game:
-----

-- I missed both of the other games in the series, so I might update if I get them!
Overall emotion: THIS GAME IS FRICKIN' AWESOME. Best spyro game to date. I don't believe how low people rate this game.... They just have no lives.

Alright... let me ask you something. How many 3D action/adventure games have you played in your life time? Probably many, given we've been in the realm of 3D for over a decade now.

Now, tell me how many of these games at least let you have SOME control over the camera? Many. What do they all have in common? THEY GOT GOOD REVIEWS FROM CRITICS AND PEOPLE BOUGHT THE GAME. Super Mario 64 was loved because you had complete control over the camera and rarely found yourself in a tight space and the camera angle unwitting to help you out. In DotD, there were several of these awkward times when the camera refused to assist you by remaining in a certain direction. Crash Mind Over Mutant had the exact same problem. A FIXED CAMERA IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES YOU CAN MAKE IN THE GAME.

How about you go play a 3D game like Devil May Cry or God of War... where you are swarmed by enemies in much greater numbers than DotD. Notice the camera is more flexible than in DotD. Also notice how much more helpful said controllable camera is in helping you mow down your enemies (which have much more difficult AI when compared to those in DotD).

Now, on to those "fighting combos." Of course you needed them! EL did a TERRIBLE job with the mana system. Even your most basic breath attacks sapped your mana twice as fast as they did in ANB and TEN. Seeing as you were constantly running out of mana, the only plausible way to make it through the action segments just begged the use of melee combos. Now, in the previous two installments, your melees were powerful and simple to perform. EL tried to add flare to DotD with unnecessary and underpowered combos like the "weak melees" and "grabbing combos." The grabbing combos were especially terrible, because upon the conclusion of the attack you found yourself exposed to counterattack from your foes unless you skillfully glided/flew away. The strong melees also sucked because they were too slow, leaving you completely open to attack while you were trying to bash a baddie.

And, as I've stated. The flight mechanic DIDN'T WORK. Try playing any other 3D game with flying. Up on the control pad/stick is supposed to make you go downward, and down on the control pad/stick is supposed to make you go upward. Such has been the case with the past Spyro games. So why didn't it work? Well, it may have been a technical glitch in my PS3 (seeing as it is really old), but I had to randomly mash the control stick in different directions until I was actually flying where I wanted to. And releasing the X button generally causes you to start gliding. There is no immediate falling right on the spot you stopped over. Also, why doesn't a bottomless pit kill you in this game? I'm pretty sure a bottomless pit equaled death to the purple dragon in EVERY SINGLE OTHER SPYRO GAME.

You're entitled to your opinion, good sir. But do not go bashing my review and saying that it "fails" in certain respects. Additionally, I must convey a major gripe with your review:

My review of this game:
-----

Where is the evidence? The cold, hard proof that each section of the game is, in your opinion, flawless. A review is not meant to be strictly numbers... there must be conjecture to support the numerical statement! I'm afraid I simply cannot take your review at face value without your opinions backing it up, my good man.

*end rant*
---
The Invisible User
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#106 Posted: 22:33:44 10/07/2009
Quote:

A FIXED CAMERA IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES YOU CAN MAKE IN THE GAME.

I don't think so. God of War on the PSP had a fixed cam, and it works really well. In DotD it works ok too.
#107 Posted: 21:24:41 11/07/2009
Quote: Doppel

Quote:

A FIXED CAMERA IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES YOU CAN MAKE IN THE GAME.

I don't think so. God of War on the PSP had a fixed cam, and it works really well. In DotD it works ok too.

You forget... DotD rips off God of War in more ways than one. >.>

Right, so that leaves one good game with a fixed camera. I don't feel DotD works very well with it. Especially when you're doing the fighting part. =_="
---
The Invisible User
Queen MikaTinks Gold Sparx Gems: 2292
#108 Posted: 09:41:12 16/07/2009
Running/Walking: 5/10
Jumping: 3/10
Flying: 9/10
Climbing: 7/10
Ground Combat: 8/10
(Air) Jumping Combat: 8/10
(Air) Flying Combat: 3/10
Blocking: 9/10
Plot Highlights: 10/10
Graphics 10/10
Music 10/10
Camera 2/10

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT <3
---
xBlu Skiesx my new account
#109 Posted: 13:47:01 16/07/2009
Quote: Queen MikaTinks

Camera 2/10

<3
---
The Invisible User
Random Sheep Red Sparx Gems: 59
#110 Posted: 13:59:56 26/07/2009
Looking at other game sites i can say that the average reviews by people who played it showed around a 7.5-8.2/10. Which is a bit higher that what the sites themselves said which was a 1-7/10 depending on where you looked.
---
Baa! *Jump* *Hop* *Jump* *Jump* Baa!
Razz Emerald Sparx Gems: 4427
#111 Posted: 19:43:48 26/07/2009
GameRankings is your friend.

According to that site, DotD scored as follows:

Wii: 11 reviews, 65.9%
Xbox 360: 37 reviews, 64.14%
DS: 10 reviews, 60.6%
PS2: 2 reviews, 59%
PS3: 20 reviews, 58.6%

The only Spyro games that got reviews and scored lower than DotD were the DS TEN, Shadow Legacy, and EtD.

Fun fact: the original Spyro trilogy by Insomniac is still at the top (at 85% and above) and the highest ranking LoS game is the Xbox ANB at 71.27%.
Random Sheep Red Sparx Gems: 59
#112 Posted: 20:53:40 26/07/2009
Quote: Razz

GameRankings is your friend.

According to that site, DotD scored as follows:

Wii: 11 reviews, 65.9%
Xbox 360: 37 reviews, 64.14%
DS: 10 reviews, 60.6%
PS2: 2 reviews, 59%
PS3: 20 reviews, 58.6%

The only Spyro games that got reviews and scored lower than DotD were the DS TEN, Shadow Legacy, and EtD.

Fun fact: the original Spyro trilogy by Insomniac is still at the top (at 85% and above) and the highest ranking LoS game is the Xbox ANB at 71.27%.

It does not really matter what the "professionals say" it matters about what the people say, which is varied. Those guys did not even average their scores right and rounded down so when the game was suppose to be rated a 7 they ranked it a 6. Others of those game sites were still in a nostalgic mo