Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > What I hate about parents of "gamers"
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What I hate about parents of "gamers" [CLOSED]
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#1 Posted: 16:21:59 06/07/2014 | Topic Creator
So I go to my local Gamestop and decide to see if they have any new Skylanders. (Please note that the Skylanders are really close to the register so you can clearly hear and see what other people are buying)
Two parents and their son (who looked to be about 7 years old) was buying a game. At this point this seems like normal until the kid mentioned the name of the game he was buying. Guess what this game was? An M rated shooting game known as Call of Duty Ghosts. Note the KID was buying it, not the parents. I felt like I should tell them about the age rating but didn't seeing as they didn't even know I was somewhat eavesdropping. (Although it can barely be called that since it is easy to hear customers at the Skylander section)

And this isn't the first time, I see parents buying inappropriate games at ANY store that sells video games plenty of times. Seriously? There is rating for a reason!
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#2 Posted: 16:24:31 06/07/2014
True that. I'm only BARELY legal to play those games where I live (17, and canada respectively) yet I don't. Why? They don't interest me.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#3 Posted: 16:24:49 06/07/2014
What's wrong with buying inappropriate games exactly?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#4 Posted: 16:28:08 06/07/2014
My brother and I started playing Left 4 Dead when we were 8 and 12, respectively. In fact, after my mother died the only real rule about video games was to not play any games with sex in them (GTA was off limits for me until 2 years ago).

It can be ok for a child to play rated M games so long as their parents monitor their play, and the child has the ability to tell the difference between a game/movie and real life (which they/we usually do).
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#5 Posted: 16:35:49 06/07/2014
I once saw a kid that was like four or five years old at Wal-Mart holding a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops and a Sing Along with Elmo DVD. He couldn't decide which one he wanted, so he asked his mother, and she told him to get Call of Duty.
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:36:54 06/07/2014 by awesomerockets
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8554
#6 Posted: 16:35:56 06/07/2014
In my opinion, they're five things I've used to counter people that think that video games should be regulated.

1) Age. No brainer really

2) Maturity. Each child matures differently. Some 9 year olds are more mature than 14 year olds, and vice versa

3) Rating. Windumup, you brought these up. Parents should follow these as guidelines, like rated R movies where they usually won't let anyone under 18 go into them w/o parents permission, but not to that extent. I have more precedent with age and maturity than ratings.

4) Distinguish fantasy and reality. CAV said it best, so no need to point it out again

5) Common sense.

Quote: awesomerockets
I one saw a kid that was like five or six years old at Wal-Mart holding a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops and a Sing Along with Elmo DVD. He couldn't decide which one he wanted, so he asked his mother, and she told him to get Call of Duty.

That's ****ing stupid.

Quote: kardonis
True that. I'm only BARELY legal to play those games where I live (17, and canada respectively) yet I don't. Why? They don't interest me.

Does Canada regulate video games like alcohol? WOW
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:39:08 06/07/2014 by JCW555
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#7 Posted: 16:42:22 06/07/2014
I'm not going to say that every kid should be allowed to play Splatterhouse just because they can tell it's not real. But at this point CoD has become a T for teen franchise, what with the violence in it becoming less and less hardcore.
#8 Posted: 16:46:10 06/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
I'm not going to say that every kid should be allowed to play Splatterhouse just because they can tell it's not real. But at this point CoD has become a T for teen franchise, what with the violence in it becoming less and less hardcore.

Well the kid looked to be about 7, although it still isn't good as you say.
---
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8554
#9 Posted: 16:47:32 06/07/2014

No doubt, again, age is a major factor in allowing kids to play violent video games.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#10 Posted: 16:53:48 06/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: JCW555

No doubt, again, age is a major factor in allowing kids to play violent video games.

Exactly, there are even some reports of kids actually pretending to act out what they see in video games.
---
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#11 Posted: 17:01:09 06/07/2014
I'm 90% sure that M is rated 17+ here. Don't quote me on that.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#12 Posted: 17:01:43 06/07/2014
I get bullied for playing Skylanders because they say I'm too old for it. I guess you can be too old for games bu not too young according to them.
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#13 Posted: 17:04:21 06/07/2014
i saw a kid trying to buy an m-rated game once

and he didn't
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#14 Posted: 17:10:05 06/07/2014
Quote: Windumup

Exactly, there are even some reports of kids actually pretending to act out what they see in video games.

My favorite report of someone acting out (not just pretending) what they've seen in a video game was this:

http://www.nextnature.net/2010...arcraft-skills/
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#15 Posted: 17:19:13 06/07/2014
Quote: Nightmoon

My favorite report of someone acting out (not just pretending) what they've seen in a video game was this:

I did a paper on that in 6 grade.
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#16 Posted: 17:24:31 06/07/2014
Meh, in this culutre, not really a shock. That being said, I do believe parents should pay attention to what media their child consumes. Whether or not they control or regulate it, that's their choice, but they should definitely be aware so they're at least making informed decisions.

Over time, my parents started letting me choose what I want to expose myself on my own (they probably wouldn't want me watching Game of Thrones when I was young teen though XD *to be clear I never have watched that and I doubt I ever will*), though I still largely respect their standards even to this day. Incidentally, they never watched hardly anything above the standards of what they'd allow us (and yes I searched everywhere in the house and for years we only had one or two PG-13 movies).
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Spyro-Fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5325
#17 Posted: 17:26:47 06/07/2014
In my country nobody gives a damn about age. I could buy 18+ games with no issue when I was under aged.

Then I took a trip to England and there was a whole drama at the cash register when I wanted to buy Final Fantasy XIII. I had to chase my mother around to buy it for me, then I got my game. It was such a shock to me lol.

I just found it silly that they saw I was giving her the money and openly said she'll buy it for me instead. Why make a huge fuss over it if it's going to be me who'll play it anyway.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#18 Posted: 17:29:28 06/07/2014
I'll just point out what I think about it:

The ratings on games and movies are nothing but recommendations on what age one should play with such game, but it isn't a strict law that they can't be sold to kids under that age, as some kids grow mentally earlier than others do.

Society today seems to develop a lot faster than it used to, meaning that they aren't really that bothered by violence or death when they're young anymore. So to my fullest opinion, if the kid is allowed, is aware of what he's really playing, and won't mentally go wrong by playing it, then he's free to play it.
Then again, many say kids are influenced by those games and become more violent by playing them, but that only depends on each person. If that were the case, then that person in question doesn't follow the rules listed above and then shouldn't play it.
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#19 Posted: 17:41:02 06/07/2014
Quote: DummyZ
I'll just point out what I think about it:

The ratings on games and movies are nothing but recommendations on what age one should play with such game, but it isn't a strict law that they can't be sold to kids under that age, as some kids grow mentally earlier than others do.

Society today seems to develop a lot faster than it used to, meaning that they aren't really that bothered by violence or death when they're young anymore. So to my fullest opinion, if the kid is allowed, is aware of what he's really playing, and won't mentally go wrong by playing it, then he's free to play it.

you said everything i was going to say.

thank you.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#20 Posted: 17:41:36 06/07/2014
Skylanders has a big fan base at my school. Most of the kids also play FPS. I have to "pretend" I do because of me wanting to fit in so badly smilie
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#21 Posted: 18:24:28 06/07/2014
My mom let me get South Park Stick of Truth.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#22 Posted: 18:37:36 06/07/2014
Quote: Toynerd14

are u 8 years old????
#23 Posted: 18:46:18 06/07/2014
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

are u 8 years old????

No, I'm 14.
assassinelf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1180
#24 Posted: 18:48:39 06/07/2014
I play Dragon Age, and it has lot's of (sadly unrealistic) blood splatter. I mean four people kill one bandit, your not gonna get blood all over each of them.
And teh sexually explicit seens are easily skippable.
---
Rickinelf: I ship it
Check out Survivor! Season 10! In forum games! Yay!
#25 Posted: 18:50:31 06/07/2014
Quote: Crookshanks

are u 8 years old????

No, I'm 14.

u seem younger

Hey! I'm very mature for my age. Just not online because aminosity or some **** IDK.
#26 Posted: 18:53:13 06/07/2014
Quote: Spyrobaro

HOLY ****

That's boss!
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#27 Posted: 18:54:13 06/07/2014

awesome!
#28 Posted: 19:00:19 06/07/2014

Deeyam.
---
#29 Posted: 19:05:04 06/07/2014

are u 8 years old????

Yes, I'm 8.

okay then
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:05:48 06/07/2014 by Blackholes_Wolf
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#30 Posted: 19:06:49 06/07/2014
Here are some nice stories on the subject.
http://notalwaysright.com/grand-theft-innocence/13962
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-2/13986
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-3/18279 (My favorite)
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-4/30955
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-5/32082
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-6/32896
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-7/33338
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-8/35396
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...ce-part-9/35840
http://notalwaysright.com/gran...e-part-10/38161
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#31 Posted: 19:09:20 06/07/2014
I read Part 3 and questioned society. Sex and Violence are ok but Naughty Words aren't... The ****!
#32 Posted: 19:09:58 06/07/2014
I read Part 3 and questioned society. Sex and Violence are ok but Naughty Words aren't... The ****!

reported for being underaged
#33 Posted: 19:11:12 06/07/2014

I'm 14 and watch things like Ninja Sex Party and South Park.
#34 Posted: 19:13:57 06/07/2014

I'm 8 and watch things like Teletubbies and Johnny Test.

reported for being underage
#35 Posted: 19:16:33 06/07/2014

reported for being underage

Ok, you made me laugh that time!
#36 Posted: 19:17:18 06/07/2014
im still reportin u
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#37 Posted: 20:07:10 06/07/2014

Same here

I know I might stereotyping first person shooters here, but all seem to be basically the same game over and over, sure I see some differences like in the Halo series and such. But most First Person shooters don't seem to improve on the gameplay and only add in things. And a good amount now have zombies in it. I mean really, all you need for a best seller is not improve the gameplay, just add a zombie that's it. There's to many first person shooters in my opinion and not a lot of interesting kid's games. We still got Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and such. But some of those games have an age thing for a reason.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#38 Posted: 20:08:24 06/07/2014

Those are my two favorite shows! Especially the first one.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#39 Posted: 20:12:54 06/07/2014
Quote: Ryanator20x6

I still think your avatar is Pop Fizz getting off
---
#40 Posted: 20:17:01 06/07/2014
Quote: assassinelf

No it's Po!
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:18:14 06/07/2014 by Ryanator20x6
#41 Posted: 20:20:08 06/07/2014
Quote: assassinelf

No it's Po!

TRE SUNBABY FREAKS ME OUT
---
#42 Posted: 20:22:36 06/07/2014
Quote: Cynderfan507
Quote: Trix Master 100

Same here

I know I might stereotyping first person shooters here, but all seem to be basically the same game over and over, sure I see some differences like in the Halo series and such. But most First Person shooters don't seem to improve on the gameplay and only add in things. And a good amount now have zombies in it. I mean really, all you need for a best seller is not improve the gameplay, just add a zombie that's it. There's to many first person shooters in my opinion and not a lot of interesting kid's games. We still got Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and such. But some of those games have an age thing for a reason.

My brother thinks games like Call of Duty are the best games ever and that every video game that I play (or that isn't rated T or M) is boring, childish and crappy.

Do you play pokemon and/or sly cooper?
---
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#43 Posted: 20:25:12 06/07/2014
Quote: Cynderfan507
Quote: Trix Master 100

Same here

My brother thinks games like Call of Duty are the best games ever and that every video game that I play (or that isn't rated T or M) is boring, childish and crappy.

I hate people like that. Someone once told me "If it doesn't have guns and cussing in it then it's a baby game" and I just wanted to smack him. Another time when I was at Wal-Mart (Probably should stop going there) I was purchasing a copy of Kid Icarus: Uprising and some seven year old kid saw and said "You seriously want that gay baby game?" I just wanted to yell "SCREW YOU, *****" and beat him with a nearby cardboard cutout of Superman, but I was in public so that wouldn't have been the best idea.
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me