Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
To the LGBT community: [CLOSED]
torok Platinum Sparx Gems: 6123
#1 Posted: 03:15:08 07/06/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm sorry.
I'm sorry for all the hateful stuff I've ever said to any of you. I was a fool to believe what I believed about yo- us.
I have embraced the fact that I am part of your community, I just didn't see it, or I hated it.
I am just sorry you had to put up with me and my bigoted ways, I was no different than the Phelps family.
Whether or not I am accepted or forgiven, I am an ally to our community now.
I'm in the process of starting an LGBT club at my college and keep it as far away from Inervarsity (Christian club) as possible since they might not accept it. I will take on the role of president and lead our community to a more prosperous future. I am not worthy to be president, but that role will likely fall to me. I will do my best.
Cynder09 Diamond Sparx Gems: 9866
#2 Posted: 03:24:02 07/06/2014
Aww, torok. It's so nice to see that you've changed. Good luck with the club and everything.
---
I live my life inside a dream, only waking when I sleep.
Yeah, I've been living in the state of dreaming, living in a make-believe land.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#3 Posted: 22:22:00 07/06/2014
Well now, here's a topic that I honestly didn't think I'd ever see.

You're still catholic, are you not? How did your family react when they learned of this?

I'm assuming they know, I mean, you're also going to start a club in your school so it's not really a secret.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#4 Posted: 01:16:26 08/06/2014
Damn, this ws unexpected from Torok.
Jeez, I'm honestly kinda stunned that you took back your opinions.

But good luck in your endeavors nonetheless!
#5 Posted: 02:12:22 08/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Samius

You're still catholic, are you not? How did your family react when they learned of this?

I'm assuming they know, I mean, you're also going to start a club in your school so it's not really a secret.

I'm not Catholic, I haven't been a Catholic since 2007. I was a Christian a little more than 6 months ago.

My family doesn't know about the club. I'm assuming they wouldn't mind, although I'm gonna keep it on the down low. I'm especially gonna keep the fact that I'm part of the community a secret for a while, don't know how mom will react.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#6 Posted: 02:30:13 08/06/2014
Well, this is unexpected, Torok, but there is good in everyone and I do forgive you. No one is perfect, no one will be perfect, but I think if a person wants to strive to get closer to the unattainable, then I'll wish you luck!
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#7 Posted: 02:51:16 08/06/2014
I'm definitely proud of someone for stepping outside the norm and accepting who they are. Bravo!
#8 Posted: 09:44:51 08/06/2014
Quote: torok

I'm not Catholic, I haven't been a Catholic since 2007. I was a Christian a little more than 6 months ago.

My family doesn't know about the club. I'm assuming they wouldn't mind, although I'm gonna keep it on the down low. I'm especially gonna keep the fact that I'm part of the community a secret for a while, don't know how mom will react.

I see. I always thought that you were catholic, mostly due to your views. So you're no longer a christian at all? If I may ask (and this is rather off-topic), what changed your mind? You can send me an answer to my GB or send me PM if you don't want to talk about it here.

If she didn't like it, how would that make you feel? Would you just shrug it off, try to explain it to her or what?
#9 Posted: 10:44:18 08/06/2014 | Topic Creator
I am more of an agnostic really. I was a Catholic when I first came to DS, then I was a Romanian Orthodox, then I was hopping around from denomination to denomination, then I was just a Christian. The practice of my faith went into a steady decline starting back like 9 months ago, then it escalated from there, yesterday I found out how stupid I was for ever believing in the stuff that I believed in and how flawed it was.

If my mom found out that I was part of the community (the T part) I bet she'd try to talk me out of it, or tell me I'm crazy. I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability.
#10 Posted: 11:43:51 08/06/2014
I am more of an agnostic really. I was a Catholic when I first came to DS, then I was a Romanian Orthodox, then I was hopping around from denomination to denomination, then I was just a Christian. The practice of my faith went into a steady decline starting back like 9 months ago, then it escalated from there, yesterday I found out how stupid I was for ever believing in the stuff that I believed in and how flawed it was.

If my mom found out that I was part of the community (the T part) I bet she'd try to talk me out of it, or tell me I'm crazy. I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability.

Good, that's good. Don't blame yourself though, human beings have this.. Silly aversion towards being wrong. There's nothing bad about changing your mind when you realize that it's the smarter thing to do.

That is also good, as it's not something she can really talk you out of. Be yourself and let her know that you care for her even if you two might disagree on some things. I believe it'll all go just fine in the end.
#11 Posted: 11:48:35 08/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks smilie
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7728
#12 Posted: 13:58:40 08/06/2014
YAYYYYYYYYY!! *throws rainbow confetti*
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#13 Posted: 16:04:26 08/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Hooray for rainbows!

In related news: I got denied entry into an LGBT forum because it recognizes my IP address as that of a spammer. Now idk how that happen, I never went around to LGBT forums before.
#14 Posted: 22:55:49 08/06/2014 | Topic Creator
I don't know. I honestly don't know.
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#15 Posted: 12:53:51 11/06/2014
Wow, i did not see this coming at all. I'm glad you've changed your views on homosexuals, but i don't necessarily agree with you turning to agnostic. Though i will accept it nonetheless, it's not my choice. We all have the right to believe in what we believe in. I'll pray for you Torok, and good luck on that club. smilie

Good, that's good. Don't blame yourself though, human beings have this.. Silly aversion towards being wrong. There's nothing bad about changing your mind when you realize that it's the smarter thing to do.

That is also good, as it's not something she can really talk you out of. Be yourself and let her know that you care for her even if you two might disagree on some things. I believe it'll all go just fine in the end.

Before i misinterpret this, could you explain what you mean by this, Samius?
---
Cool cool.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#16 Posted: 12:58:59 11/06/2014
This is a pleasant surprise. All of the best, torok!
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#17 Posted: 15:56:06 11/06/2014
Quote: pankakesparx456

It means exactly what I said. Cognitive dissonance is a well known psychological phenomenon. Human beings often seek out or "cherry pick" proof to support their own hypothesis simply because they dislike the feeling of having two contradictory beliefs. When evidence is presented against them, they ignore, refuse to believe, or argue against it.
It takes a decent amount of self-esteem and self-respect to admit to your own mistakes, like torok here did. It is also an important part of the learning process.

And yes, I know you asked because you are a Chistian. I respect your choice, but understand that I can not agree with you. I'm an atheist, and I thoroughly believe that it is a mistake to believe in the existense of supernatural beings.

Anyhow, let's not argue about it here. You can PM me about it if you want.
Spyro-Fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5318
#18 Posted: 17:11:33 11/06/2014
Even though this is indeed a pleasant surprise, I can't help but ask one thing.

Is this because of Observer?

Because I talk to him every now and then, and he tells me you two sometimes talk about religion. I know that he always tries his best to prove someone that their Christian views are wrong, since he himself is an agnostic and part of the LGBT community. I just want to know if this is something you have decided, and are not being pressured by him to change your view.

This is a right way to look at things, but it doesn't mean you have to stop being a Christian. You can be both a Christian and supportive of LGBT community, nothing wrong with that. But if you really are agnostic (and not because Observer ''told you so''), that's good too.
#19 Posted: 19:04:50 11/06/2014
Quote: Spyro-Fan

Because I talk to him every now and then, and he tells me you two sometimes talk about religion. I know that he always tries his best to prove someone that their Christian views are wrong, since he himself is an agnostic and part of the LGBT community. I just want to know if this is something you have decided, and are not being pressured by him to change your view.

This is a right way to look at things, but it doesn't mean you have to stop being a Christian. You can be both a Christian and supportive of LGBT community, nothing wrong with that. But if you really are agnostic (and not because Observer ''told you so''), that's good too.

I actually thought about this too. Though I haven't talked to Observer in ages, so I don't really feel like assuming anything.
But I mean.. Observer is gay, torok really like(d) Observer, and now s/he suddenly becoming an agnostic (like Observer) and transexual.
Maybe he influenced torok to an extent, but I don't doubt that this was his/her own desicion in the end.
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#20 Posted: 19:29:42 11/06/2014
Much good, very congratulations, such happy (ha, puns)
#21 Posted: 19:54:52 11/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyro-Fan

I chose this path for myself. Observer helped me along the way, but this is not because of him. I realized how rediculous most of the Bible and my logic as a Christian was.
Spyro-Fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5318
#22 Posted: 20:06:40 11/06/2014
Well, if this is what you've really chosen for yourself then I'm glad. It's always nice when people start thinking with their own head instead of following what someone/something tells them to do. I hope you will eventually find a good LGBT community on internet or in real life where people will accept you.
#23 Posted: 20:42:38 11/06/2014

It means exactly what I said. Cognitive dissonance is a well known psychological phenomenon. Human beings often seek out or "cherry pick" proof to support their own hypothesis simply because they dislike the feeling of having two contradictory beliefs. When evidence is presented against them, they ignore, refuse to believe, or argue against it.
It takes a decent amount of self-esteem and self-respect to admit to your own mistakes, like torok here did. It is also an important part of the learning process.

And yes, I know you asked because you are a Chistian. I respect your choice, but understand that I can not agree with you. I'm an atheist, and I thoroughly believe that it is a mistake to believe in the existense of supernatural beings.

Anyhow, let's not argue about it here. You can PM me about it if you want.

Okay, just wanted be make sure.

I'm not going to call you out on what you believe in. I understand you'll probably always be an atheist and i won't change that.

If anything, and knowing the Christians i've known in the past, i'm probably one of the few Christians that I at least know of that's accepting of all religions. Christianity, or really any other religion, is just our way of what we believe to be the truth. Everyone has what they believe to be truth, and if they genuinely do, who am i to take that away from them?

Sure, it's my duty as a Christian to show others the will of God, but i also always believed it would happen in mysterious ways, just like God. I was always taught, or just started to believe on my own, that many Christians should be like Jesus was and promote love and acceptance of others, no matter who they are and no matter how hard it may be. Whether you believe it or not, isn't that the original message of Christianity, or really any other religion? love and happiness? It's too bad some Christians lose light on this, but it's our duty as the Christians who haven't to still promote this, regardless of what people believe in.

My basic point is, i accept completely that you're atheist. It's your choice and i won't try to change that. smilie

However, i would ask that you not say that religion is a mistake, because as i said before, everyone has a right to believe what they believe is truth. No one should have to constantly be told what they believe is completely wrong. I'm not going to argue with whatever response you have with this because i know it's guaranteed to start an argument that will go nowhere.

I'm going to try leaving this topic. Chances are i'm going to regret posting this.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:43:21 11/06/2014 by pankakesparx456
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#24 Posted: 22:50:49 11/06/2014
I never thought I'd see this topic, but I'm glad!

Good luck, Torok.
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12141
#25 Posted: 22:58:17 11/06/2014
Quote: AngelicBeast
Please just be happy that she's happy

he. ; )
#26 Posted: 22:58:50 11/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you, Pixilism.

I told my mom about the club, she supports me.

I also showed her a vid where a teen boy confesses to his mom that he's trans, she gave me joking remarks saying: "If you want to be a man knock yourself out, be a worthless man and everybody's gonna beat you up." And she also said "I will not be a fan of you growing hair on your face." But it was an overall good response as she was laughing the entire time.
She also said she'll love me no matter what.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#27 Posted: 23:23:55 11/06/2014
Quote: AngelicBeast
Please just be happy that he's happy

Pretty sure that's what he's trying to get at.
That he supports Torok, regardless of his religion's beliefs.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:30:31 12/06/2014 by wspyro
#28 Posted: 09:42:34 12/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the use of male pronounce, I appreciate it.
#29 Posted: 10:34:58 12/06/2014 | Topic Creator
It's ok, I like hugs smilie
#30 Posted: 11:49:48 12/06/2014
Thank you, Pixilism.

I told my mom about the club, she supports me.

I also showed her a vid where a teen boy confesses to his mom that he's trans, she gave me joking remarks saying: "If you want to be a man knock yourself out, be a worthless man and everybody's gonna beat you up." And she also said "I will not be a fan of you growing hair on your face." But it was an overall good response as she was laughing the entire time.
She also said she'll love me no matter what.

I'm happy for you. Its nice to see your mom is fine with this and accepts it. smilie
---
Cool cool.
#31 Posted: 11:58:56 12/06/2014 | Topic Creator
I didn't tell her I'm trans yet. She mentioned that if I am she'd be shocked, but she'll still love me. So that is pushing me even more to tell her.
I want to go to a PFLAG meeting first or somewhere that'll give me advice.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:48:30 12/06/2014 by torok
#32 Posted: 12:03:57 12/06/2014
I didn't tell her I'm trans yet. She mentioned that if I am she'd be shocked, but she'll still love me. So that is pushing me even more to tell her.
I want to go to a PFLG meeting first or somewhere that'll give me advice.

okay, I thought you already did tell her.

regardless, good luck. smilie
---
Cool cool.
#33 Posted: 14:38:56 12/06/2014

I'm not going to call you out on what you believe in. I understand you'll probably always be an atheist and i won't change that.

If anything, and knowing the Christians i've known in the past, i'm probably one of the few Christians that I at least know of that's accepting of all religions. Christianity, or really any other religion, is just our way of what we believe to be the truth. Everyone has what they believe to be truth, and if they genuinely do, who am i to take that away from them?

Sure, it's my duty as a Christian to show others the will of God, but i also always believed it would happen in mysterious ways, just like God. I was always taught, or just started to believe on my own, that many Christians should be like Jesus was and promote love and acceptance of others, no matter who they are and no matter how hard it may be. Whether you believe it or not, isn't that the original message of Christianity, or really any other religion? love and happiness? It's too bad some Christians lose light on this, but it's our duty as the Christians who haven't to still promote this, regardless of what people believe in.

My basic point is, i accept completely that you're atheist. It's your choice and i won't try to change that. smilie

However, i would ask that you not say that religion is a mistake, because as i said before, everyone has a right to believe what they believe is truth. No one should have to constantly be told what they believe is completely wrong. I'm not going to argue with whatever response you have with this because i know it's guaranteed to start an argument that will go nowhere.

I'm going to try leaving this topic. Chances are i'm going to regret posting this.

Not at all, I'm not going to start an argument. The only reason I told you what I think is because you asked me what I meant. I don't constantly bug religious people by telling them that I think they're wrong.
#34 Posted: 14:43:53 12/06/2014

Not at all, I'm not going to start an argument. The only reason I told you what I think is because you asked me what I meant. I don't constantly bug religious people by telling them that I think they're wrong.

Oh, i'm sure you don't. I guess i was just a bit offended by that comment is all.

Point is, it's what you believe, and i'll accept it.
---
Cool cool.
robbiepayne97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1891
#35 Posted: 06:58:41 13/06/2014
I haven't told anybody in my family that I'm gay yet. They would be so shocked. I just wouldn't know how to break it to them.. I'm also dating a guy too aswell. I'll tell them one of these days.. Probably when I get out of high school..
---
furry for 13 years and counting! <3
#36 Posted: 10:06:23 13/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Good idea. My best friend told me not to tell my mom until I'm financially secure, I assume he was saying if she kicks me out I won't die.
I wish you luck.

Just a suggestion, test the waters with your family, find out how they feel about gays first.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8542
#37 Posted: 17:28:51 13/06/2014
Torok, I accept your apology. As the B in LGBTQ+, it's incredibly hard to be out with your parents. Both of my parents know that I'm bisexual and they accept me for it. As long as your happy, that's the only thing that matters really in the end.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
robbiepayne97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1891
#38 Posted: 01:52:52 14/06/2014
Quote: Cynderfan507
Quote: robbiepayne97
I haven't told anybody in my family that I'm gay yet. They would be so shocked. I just wouldn't know how to break it to them.. I'm also dating a guy too aswell. I'll tell them one of these days.. Probably when I get out of high school..

It's kind of the same for me (except I'm a girl, and I'm forever alone). Waiting 'til you're out of high school is probably the best idea. Is there a particular reason you haven't told them? Are some members of your family homophobic? Or are you just afraid of how they'll react?

Well, my mom is very judgmental among things and such. I've always known that. She even saw two gays kiss on TV and she just got so pissed off and started saying how horrible it was and everything and it upsetted me very much, but I don't live with my mom. I live with my dad. My dad isn't judgmental at all. I could tell him anything and he will still love me no matter what I am. He loves me for the way I am and I'm happy for that, but I'm still scared to say. I also have anxiety because of my mom. Long story. I'm so much closer to my dad than I am my mom. So yeah, I'll probably tell my dad first out of my family. Friends I will tell first because it's the easiest.
---
furry for 13 years and counting! <3
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#39 Posted: 02:56:09 14/06/2014
I accept. Congrats on finding who you are, I guess?
Coming out can be a fearful thing if your making shots in the dark. I've only told 2 people I was gay, and one backstabbed me and now goes around basically chanting "Damians gay"
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me