Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Is the dark house worth it [CLOSED]
Yoshicrashcart8 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#1 Posted: 00:15:05 29/05/2014 | Topic Creator
So I have around 390 gems and as of now the dark house is on sale for 400 gems but I only have 1 dark skylander (dark spyro) and you also don't get as many hero points as a cadette/scouts HQ. so I'm wondering if the dark house is really worth it
---
smilie smilie smilie Dark element is best element. smilie smilie smilie
Kalamath Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#2 Posted: 00:30:10 29/05/2014
If you have the option to check often, it is, IMO. With a 2 hour refresh, you can clear it a lot more often (I'm assuming cad/scout is 6 like giant houses, but I'm not sure), and ultimately what you are concerned about is gem generation. Dark house wins, esp at 400 gems on sale. For people who can only check in the morning and evening, that's harder to say. There's a thread on (gem) payouts and dark/dragon is way higher than any of the others.

I bought two, might get a third before it's over.
---
Activate family - Kalamath, Petra-Kate, Pinjindir (retired)
Yoshicrashcart8 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#3 Posted: 00:36:05 29/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Ok, thanks for the response smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie Dark element is best element. smilie smilie smilie
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#4 Posted: 12:34:40 29/05/2014
The cadette/scout houses are every 4 hours, but the payouts are low. Nice to have one of each just to have everything and be complete, but I wouldn't buy more.

For the Dark House, at this price, definitely worth it.

Gold, energy, and experience payouts are lower - more in line with the scout houses - but the gem payouts match the best giant houses. Especially if you an collect frequently, they are worth it.

I just bought 4, to bring my total up to 5.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#5 Posted: 13:25:43 29/05/2014
I went ahead and bought a couple at this price. My first payouts were 8 gems on one and 13 gems on another. I don't get around to collecting as often as I used to, so it may take me a while to get my 400 gems back, but it's definitely a great deal on them. If you only have 390 gems, I'm not sure. It does put it more in line with the price of giant houses (which are usually 350) than the outrageous 1200 gems. It all depends on what else you need in the game. If you have all the good gem producing companions, then your next step would be to buy a giant/alt house. Since this isn't much more than one of those and you can collect more often, it might be worth it. Plus I don't recall ever seeing these on sale, at least this cheap. I don't think they even came up during the personal offers that were being thrown out after the holidays. It was the only thing I was missing, so I kept hoping they would appear, but no one saw them. So if you want to get it, now may be the time.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about Dark Spyro. For some reason, I had forgotten about him. I only picked up 2 for Dark Stealth Elf and Dark Slobbertooth (as I would rather use my swappers elsewhere). I might have to consider another one for Dark Spyro.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:27:17 29/05/2014 by obidawsn
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#6 Posted: 13:41:47 29/05/2014
Quote: obidawsn
BTW, thanks for reminding me about Dark Spyro. For some reason, I had forgotten about him. I only picked up 2 for Dark Stealth Elf and Dark Slobbertooth (as I would rather use my swappers elsewhere). I might have to consider another one for Dark Spyro.

Don't forget Dark Wash Buckler and Dark Blast Zone. You could use up to 5 Dark Houses if you have the gems to buy. I'd like to get one, but I also want to get a hold of Diggs if he comes up for the Fourth of July. I think I will have the 2,000 by then, but not certain about that.
HappyGamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1470
#7 Posted: 15:46:14 29/05/2014
I picked up one (my third) and may pick up another just for the heck of it. I'm really hoping for another small island to come available so that I can have a Dark Island and a Dragon Island as well as my Sheep and Troll Islands.
Krush_Hour Blue Sparx Gems: 966
#8 Posted: 16:02:36 29/05/2014
I have all the dark skylanders. I bought 2 so far to see how it would payout and I'm impressed with the gem payouts. I will be getting more for sure.
#9 Posted: 16:27:54 29/05/2014
Quote: defpally

Don't forget Dark Wash Buckler and Dark Blast Zone. You could use up to 5 Dark Houses if you have the gems to buy. I'd like to get one, but I also want to get a hold of Diggs if he comes up for the Fourth of July. I think I will have the 2,000 by then, but not certain about that.

I didn't forget about those, which is why I noted that I would rather use the swappers elsewhere.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#10 Posted: 16:53:22 29/05/2014
I didn't forget about those, which is why I noted that I would rather use the swappers elsewhere.

Yeah, I see that now. Just curious, do you have enough stuff for them all to do? I know I keep one of each element available at all times for Sugar Bats. I also use all available balloons for Mount Cloudbreak runs (only 4 Skylanders not 15 yet taking up the extras). I specifically use the alter egos for the trips to amplify the gold returns and only have to have a couple regular ones used. Then I still have several sitting idle. I guess with an abundance of Swap Houses that would use them up. But, I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing? I tend to use Giants and specials for doing things to get the gold bonus. I was under the impression that Dark Houses were one of the best sources of gems.
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#11 Posted: 16:56:08 29/05/2014

I would rather use the swappers elsewhere.

If you don't mind me asking - why?

Yes, they have fantastic gold payouts, but at the later levels there isn't really anything to spend gold on. Mine just keeps piling up. In the Dark houses, they have a chance at producing gems.
#12 Posted: 17:29:36 29/05/2014
I have plenty of things to use the swappers on. Mostly the balloons. Mt. Cloudbreak is the best producer of gold, so I usually try using swappers on my balloons. If I have any left, then I will put them in sanctuaries, which is the second highest amount for gold payout. However, sanctuaries get the same base amount no matter what Skylander I put in, so I'm not as worried about putting swappers there except to get the double gold bonus with the Hip Brothers, but only if I have my balloons filled up. The only swappers I don't use in either are Legendary Free Ranger and Legendary Night Shift, which I put in the Hall of Legends (because I have a bunch of them that I bought when they mistakenly had them at 100 wish stones). Though when the element of the day matches, I sometimes put them in balloons. I have a Swap House, but never use it because I'm usually using them elsewhere. Between balloons alone, I typically use up all but a few of my swappers (even using some regular Skylanders that need leveling up in my balloons), and the rest I put in sanctuaries. I have 14 balloons (which was my max at one time) and since getting those, I have gained 5 more airships just from winning them in quests, which gives me 19.

The Dark Houses may be the only place that putting a swapper is worth it if the gem payout is decent, but for anything that has a gem payout, I would much rather use a regular Skylander as the swapper bonus and Hip Bros. bonus doesn't affect that (and I can't remember if it affects the gold payout on houses, either). Yes, I could buy enough Dark Houses for all the dark Skylanders, including the swappers, but if I could use the swappers to gain more gold elsewhere instead of putting them in a house that may or may not give me gems, it seems like a better deal. I know I have a lot of regular (and even variant) Skylanders who are going to waste, but it's hard for me to put a Skylander in a place where I don't utilize their huge bonus. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't even put the two Legendary swappers elsewhere to get their bonuses. I know I probalby have more gold than I'll ever need, but I might be able to say the same about gems as well. I can use gold to get more gems through Diggs and the gold has been coming in handy to buy the new islands which are are very expensive. I wouldn't doubt that if they keep adding islands for every level from 41-45, then the last one wouldn't be 50 mil or more, meaning I still need over a 100 million gold to get them all. So far, I haven't seen anything that needs a lot of gems (except for the life sanctum if I hadn't won it in the quest). With space being limited, I just don't see the need to buy a bunch of Dark Houses, either. I was only going to buy 1, but decided to buy just as many as I had non-swapper dark Skylanders for and I had 2 Dragon Lairs (neither of which I actually bought, but won in other ways), so it seemed to balance out. But I may have to consider buying another one for Dark Spyro.
midas73 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1379
#13 Posted: 21:56:28 29/05/2014
I think they have fixed it so that the various swapper and giant bonuses work on gold payouts in houses but I will need to double-check that.
---
Activate username: "midas73". I am on a gifting hiatus so be warned...
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#14 Posted: 22:16:17 29/05/2014
Next to hall of legends it sounds rather good . I certainly check it more than twice a day .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#15 Posted: 01:23:40 30/05/2014
I just got a 7k gold payout from a dark house. That's not a very high amount, if you ask me. It may have higher gem payouts when you get them, but how often is the key. I don't think it's worth wasting a swapper on. The only reason I'm willing to use them on Hall of Legends is because they were so inexpensive (only 100 wish stones out of thousands that will never get used) that I was willing to buy them. 400 gems quickly adds up. But if you have the gems, they're definitely worth it. I just don't see buying them to use for my swappers unless we somehow get a lot more swappers (which would have to come from alts) or Trap Team characters get a similar or bigger bonus to where I can use them elsewhere instead.
#16 Posted: 22:16:57 01/06/2014
I have plenty of things to use the swappers on. Mostly the balloons. Mt. Cloudbreak is the best producer of gold, so I usually try using swappers on my balloons. If I have any left, then I will put them in sanctuaries, which is the second highest amount for gold payout. However, sanctuaries get the same base amount no matter what Skylander I put in, so I'm not as worried about putting swappers there except to get the double gold bonus with the Hip Brothers, but only if I have my balloons filled up. The only swappers I don't use in either are Legendary Free Ranger and Legendary Night Shift, which I put in the Hall of Legends (because I have a bunch of them that I bought when they mistakenly had them at 100 wish stones). Though when the element of the day matches, I sometimes put them in balloons. I have a Swap House, but never use it because I'm usually using them elsewhere. Between balloons alone, I typically use up all but a few of my swappers (even using some regular Skylanders that need leveling up in my balloons), and the rest I put in sanctuaries. I have 14 balloons (which was my max at one time) and since getting those, I have gained 5 more airships just from winning them in quests, which gives me 19.

There's a lot of factors that go into properly maximizing profitability. For example, are you running absolutely everything all the time and checking and collecting religiously all day? The farther you stray from that, the less likely that Mt. Cloudbreak remains the best use of swappers. Taking time out of the equation, houses are the most profitable moneymaker in the game, since they don't cost energy. Sanctuaries are the most profitable activity in the game (well Sanctums are) that cost energy. If you're only going to collect 1-2 times a day you might as well stuff your sanctuaries with swappers and skip the balloons altogether (as a gold maker, at least). Or at least put a swapper in the first slot, which is guaranteed a gold payout. Assuming my math is even close, a giant in a sanctuary is about as good as a swapper on a Mt. Couldbreak run. But a swapper on a sanctuary run is 2x better than either. And the Sanctum is 3x better. Since I'm down to collecting 1-2x a day, and rarely can take the time to stuff all of my houses, sanctuaries and balloons (or just don't want to), I usually stuff my houses and maybe the sanctuaries. Balloons are only if I'm really bored. I don't bother saving swappers for sugar bats since I'm not constantly checking. By the time I do check, everyone's back from their missions and I can clear any bats floating around (usually 1-2 of these every time since I only check 1-2x a day).
---
#17 Posted: 17:32:25 02/06/2014
Quote: midas73
There's a lot of factors that go into properly maximizing profitability. For example, are you running absolutely everything all the time and checking and collecting religiously all day? The farther you stray from that, the less likely that Mt. Cloudbreak remains the best use of swappers. Taking time out of the equation, houses are the most profitable moneymaker in the game, since they don't cost energy. Sanctuaries are the most profitable activity in the game (well Sanctums are) that cost energy. If you're only going to collect 1-2 times a day you might as well stuff your sanctuaries with swappers and skip the balloons altogether (as a gold maker, at least). Or at least put a swapper in the first slot, which is guaranteed a gold payout. Assuming my math is even close, a giant in a sanctuary is about as good as a swapper on a Mt. Couldbreak run. But a swapper on a sanctuary run is 2x better than either. And the Sanctum is 3x better. Since I'm down to collecting 1-2x a day, and rarely can take the time to stuff all of my houses, sanctuaries and balloons (or just don't want to), I usually stuff my houses and maybe the sanctuaries. Balloons are only if I'm really bored. I don't bother saving swappers for sugar bats since I'm not constantly checking. By the time I do check, everyone's back from their missions and I can clear any bats floating around (usually 1-2 of these every time since I only check 1-2x a day).

I'm pretty sure that Mt. Cloudbreak gives equal or more than a sanctuary, especially if you have airships, and they take less time & energy. Mt. Cloudbreak has a base of 21,000 gold (26,250 in airships). I can't remember the payouts of sanctuaries, but it's not more than that (I'm pretty sure the sanctum was only giving me 25,000 or somewhere in there). Giving that Mt. Cloudbreak only takes 3 hours (not sure what it is without Flynn) vs. 10 hours (or even 5 with Ermit), it's a much better option, even if you can't check every 3 hours. And it only takes 980 energy. So it's definitely a better option over sanctuaries. Houses are definitely profitable since they are free to use and can sometimes give gems, but I don't see wasting Swappers on them, when you can use them elsewhere to get a lot more gold. I send mainly swappers out on adventures and what I have left go in the first slots of sanctuaries (followed by giants, then variants...or Spyro/Hot Dog/Zap since I have their #1 fans). I use my giant sidekicks in the houses so I can use the giants in sanctuaries since they'll gain more gold. With so many places for swappers to make more gold, I don't see a reason to buy Swap Houses or buy dark houses for them. With that said, the only reason I deviate from that is with my Hall of Legends, since I bought enough of them for every legendary back when they were 100 wish stones (right after they had raised the price to 250 gems or whatever it was). I just hate wasting them.

As for how often I play, I usually let the 3 hour mission from Mt. Cloudbreak set that. I will try and check every 3 hours, but if I don't, then I don't worry about it. For one, even Mt. Cloudbreak checked even every 7 - 10 hours is better than a sanctuary and any other adventure. Plus, it's just a game, so I'm not that worried about it smilie
#18 Posted: 14:37:42 05/06/2014
I had my math wrong! You are right that Mt. Cloudbreak is slightly more profitable than a Sanctuary run (by about 5,000 gold (37K vs 42K). Once you get to Sanctums, Mt. Cloudbreak is still the clear loser (57K vs 42K).
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me