Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Duff [CLOSED]
Excelsior Yellow Sparx Gems: 1170
#1 Posted: 07:32:30 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Has anyone bought him yet? My son is away on camp and I am minding his islands.
---
banksia123
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#2 Posted: 11:57:46 20/05/2014
I bought him. The initial quest is to clear trees and open chests. I haven't found any chests from clearing trees yet, but it's only been less than a day.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#3 Posted: 20:47:09 20/05/2014
Does this mean the trees and other foliage will keep appearing indefinitely ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#4 Posted: 12:10:04 21/05/2014
I believe the answer is yes, they will keep appearing indefinitely. I still have some trees on my islands as decorations that I either bought for quests or won, but I'll have to get rid of them soon. I keep having to click on everything to figure out if they're supposed to be removed or not.

So far I've found one gold and two silver chests from clearing trees.

I don't mind the feature, but back at the earlier levels when gold was tight, it would have frustrated me.
sungren150 Blue Sparx Gems: 914
#5 Posted: 12:44:21 21/05/2014
I bought it, big mistake since there is an event this weekend and probably it will be on sale.
Anyway, opened lots of bushes but no diamond or chest yet smilie
---
Add me if you play Skylandrers Lost Islands. My ID is sundgren150
Sorry for my English. It is not my mother tongue.
HappyGamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1470
#6 Posted: 13:00:31 21/05/2014
I've found a couple of chests and gems from the trees. The second (and last) part of his quest is to buy some bush lines and houses - not too exciting there.
doylerulez Blue Sparx Gems: 529
#7 Posted: 01:49:56 22/05/2014
I bought him when he came out since I had the gems to spare, but so far I've only had 2 trees to clear and haven't had any chests.

With this new mechanic, I can see the use for a Cape Girl type companion for clearing out some of the larger debris.
#8 Posted: 03:11:23 22/05/2014
The Mulch-o-matic was supposed to clear things instantly, I thought, but now it only cuts the time in half. Maybe it always worked that way - not sure since it didn't become available until after I had all the main islands.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#9 Posted: 17:01:31 22/05/2014
Quote: HappyGamer
The Mulch-o-matic was supposed to clear things instantly, I thought, but now it only cuts the time in half. Maybe it always worked that way - not sure since it didn't become available until after I had all the main islands.

It always cut the time in half.
Jedi_Kunle Yellow Sparx Gems: 1711
#10 Posted: 02:02:46 30/05/2014
I have yet to get any Bamboos or trees in the game so far
almeria Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#11 Posted: 03:18:19 30/05/2014
I haven't had trees appear in a long time. New timed quest is almost over and still not one tree appeared. I bought him on day of release and still am waiting on that last tree to spawn. No chest from trees yet.
Kalamath Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#12 Posted: 10:44:02 30/05/2014
Yeah so far Duff is a big fat zero as a companion. I've had one tree spawn since getting him and one was up when I bought him. No chests from either.
---
Activate family - Kalamath, Petra-Kate, Pinjindir (retired)
Vtown Green Sparx Gems: 397
#13 Posted: 10:57:55 30/05/2014
i haven't had a lot of trees and I wont make the quest but I do notice that they like to "hide" trees that look like trees I placed but its actually a tree that spawned,

May want to check all of your trees smilie
Excelsior Yellow Sparx Gems: 1170
#14 Posted: 12:03:48 30/05/2014 | Topic Creator
3 accounts here that had cleared their islands. No troubles with trees or bamboo.

The bamboo is so tiny you need a magnifying glass. Check carefully around and behind things.
---
banksia123
#15 Posted: 13:50:28 01/06/2014
I've had quite a few spawns. Mostly smaller stuff, but I finally got enough trees. As someone else said, there are some that will spawn that look similar to ones you can plant, so sometimes they're easy to look over. I've gotten quite a few chests from the plants, but chests from trolls/sheep also count for the quest.
CrazyCanuck Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#16 Posted: 14:24:05 01/06/2014
I'm pissed as this will be the first quest I fail, barring miracle. Everyone got one tree spawn when the update with the quest hit. Since then I have had exactly one more spawn. I need three more trees. It's not a matter of finding them. I have two large area that are the only places they can spawn. They simply are not there. I've played MORE often this week since I spent most of it in the emergency room and had limited entertainment options. This quest was simply pure chance. There was absolutely nothing I could do to make it completable. That annoys me greatly. The second tree finally allowed me to complete the quest that came with Duff and I bought him immediately when he was released.
sklndrmommy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1508
#17 Posted: 14:35:53 01/06/2014
I hadn't been getting many trees since the time quest started then yesterday I got several all at once. Good luck. Hope they come to you and bring chests :-)
---
Trying to keep an updated code trading list in my guestbook for Lost Islands.
Mommy to player JacksonTreeRex.
CrazyCanuck Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#18 Posted: 17:13:27 01/06/2014
I finished the chests on the first day. Those were easy. I had a ton of trolls and sheep.
#19 Posted: 17:43:36 01/06/2014
I wonder if there's a max spawn amount like the trolls/sheep and if they are included in the count along with the plants. If so, them the process of leaving the trolls/sheep may hinder it. Although I've been leaving my sheep and still getting spawns, but mostly smaller stuff. There may also be max of plants. I've found a lot of plants hidden in areas behind houses that I didn't know were open. If things are spawning in those places (especially smaller plants), then you could be hitting your max without even knowing you had any. I'll be glad to get all the sanctuaries updated, as those we're biggest problem with hidden areas. The way they were made took up a lot of space and allowed for single spaces to be left hidden. I've tried to find those and throw something in their spot.
beatrix71 Blue Sparx Gems: 942
#20 Posted: 18:06:40 01/06/2014
I still have two trees to clear and only five hours left so I'm not going to make it. It's frustrating because I've been keeping areas clear specifically and checking often and clearing all the puddles and cactuses and bamboo and everything. Oh well, I already have two chompy snowmen so it's not that big a loss but it's a shame when you can't complete a task even when you're really trying and checking in often!
Coachjohn2049 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1376
#21 Posted: 20:25:22 01/06/2014
I just checked behind my sanctuaries and found the trees I needed. There are often a few free squares behind the sanctuaries.
midas73 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1379
#22 Posted: 21:26:49 01/06/2014
I always place my sanctuaries in a way that there's nothing behind them. Or if there needs to be something behind them, I usually stick some fields since I can collect them through Beatrees (I think that's the companion that collects crops...). I never want hidden surprises back there...

I didn't buy duff and don't feel bad missing out on this quest. The prize was nothing to get excited about, if I recall. So I didn't get excited. I get plenty of chests from sheep/trolls so not a big deal. I'm saving up 3,000 gems for Fiznik next time he appears (July 4, I'm hoping). I foolishly bought Tessa a week or so ago which caused me not to have the gems for Fizzy, who is way more valuable. Of course, by the time July rolls around, I'll probably be close to maxing out my kingdom level again...
---
Activate username: "midas73". I am on a gifting hiatus so be warned...
#23 Posted: 12:47:30 02/06/2014
My son was having a hard time completing the chest part of this quest, but got 3 silver chests all at once with just 2 hours left to go, so made it. He was very excited!

I agree that there seems to be some relationship between trolls/sheep and decorations that need clearing. If I've left a lot of one around, the other doesn't seem to appear.
#24 Posted: 13:03:55 02/06/2014
I've got a lot of everything in my islands... I don't actively clear trolls/sheep but I have been actively clearing all of the trees/debris.
---
#25 Posted: 14:48:08 02/06/2014
Failed the timed quest with 4/5 trees completed, still haven't gotten a single chest. Worst companion I've bought yet. I keep everything cleared, and have no open spots in bad places that are hard to spot. Two thumbs down for Duff! lol
---
crocko33 Blue Sparx Gems: 685
#26 Posted: 14:49:24 02/06/2014
Duff is such a waste.

I don't think I've had a single chest appear from clearing trees. Missed out on the timed quest by 4 chests, I believe -- the 6 I got were all from sheep/trolls.
---
55 out of 80 Skylanders -- Activate account = crocko33
Jedi_Kunle Yellow Sparx Gems: 1711
#27 Posted: 14:59:42 02/06/2014
I have checked every place and still no bamboo anyplace
#28 Posted: 15:42:07 02/06/2014
He's definitely not going to pay for himself quickly, but eventually. I've gotten maybe 10 gems from chests because of him (and Capybara) so far. If you recall, though, Hyde took at least a month to pay for himself when he first came out - was hard to find most days at the start. Hopefully they'll tweak the odds a bit and we'll start seeing more chests from clearing things.
#29 Posted: 16:47:58 02/06/2014
It took me a while to find bamboo as well, but now that the quest requiring bamboo to be cleared is over, I seem to get a lot more of them.

I will personally wait for Duff to be on 50% sale before getting him. He's a "nice to have" companion not a "need to have" one.
---
#30 Posted: 12:11:38 29/07/2014
Has anyone noticed a connection between Duff and gems from Bamboo?

Every single time I clear bamboo, I get a gem.
My son has never received a gem after clearing bamboo.

The only difference I can think of is Duff. I have him, and my son does not.

Can anyone either support or invalidate my theory that Duff is causing these gems?
#31 Posted: 12:23:15 29/07/2014
I too get lots of gems from bamboo . Duff believes its a tree . <Thank you companion Duff >

The definition is contested as the answer has immense economic implications. If bamboo is a tree or timber, it belongs to the forest department and can be auctioned to the paper and pulp industry, often at throwaway rates.

If it is a grass, then it would be classified as a minor forest produce and people would have the right to cut bamboo for sale or for value addition by making furniture or baskets.
---
#32 Posted: 14:54:24 29/07/2014
Worst companion ever. >.< SMH
---
#33 Posted: 15:31:30 29/07/2014
I may need to pay more attention when I'm clearing things, but I rarely see gems when clearing items. I totally forgot about Duff or what he did. I had to go to my game to figure it out, and I must say I also don't recall getting chests from trees, either, but I could be wrong.
#34 Posted: 16:00:24 29/07/2014
Quote: Kalamath
Worst companion ever. >.< SMH

I dunno, my vote for worst companion would have to go to the guy who gives you 6 gifts to collect when visiting instead of 3. Visiting seems too risky to do at all.
#35 Posted: 16:59:51 29/07/2014
I've never bought any of the companions that have anything to do with visiting other islands for this very purpose.
---
#36 Posted: 17:29:42 29/07/2014
Batterson? That one really helped me get momentum in this game earlier on. Double the chances at getting gems, doubled the rate for getting topiaries, and Admiral. I don't visit now, but early on, I feel he well earned his keep.
---
#37 Posted: 23:17:14 29/07/2014
Batterson has been a great help . Some of us dont risk having real friends except Aura .

How can Duff be the worst companion ? He gives more silver and gold chests. Thats alot of Capy King gems
---
ABennett Blue Sparx Gems: 865
#38 Posted: 01:06:09 30/07/2014
Quote: arkhamhorrorfan
Has anyone noticed a connection between Duff and gems from Bamboo?

Every single time I clear bamboo, I get a gem.
My son has never received a gem after clearing bamboo.

The only difference I can think of is Duff. I have him, and my son does not.

Can anyone either support or invalidate my theory that Duff is causing these gems?

I've also noticed a higher incidence of gems from bamboo than from any other form of weed. But I don't have Duff.

Can't necessarily invalidate your theory that Duff is helping with the gems, but I can tell you that gems can definitely be produced without him.
#39 Posted: 13:01:16 30/07/2014
I call Duff terrible, because since buying him (second day it was out) I've gotten 2-3 chests total from trees. If that.

I see no difference in bamboo btw. I'm the only one in my family with Duff, and the others get the occasional gem from bamboo too.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me