Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > When and how did you start getting into collecting the skylanders and the games.
Page 1 of 1
When and how did you start getting into collecting the skylanders and the games. [CLOSED]
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#1 Posted: 00:46:38 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
My personal story is I had heard a lot about spyros adventure when it first came out and it really looked cool so in august 2012 I got the game with only the characters included in the starter and played a lot each day then after giants came out, In April 2013 I buy s1 sprocket and I find out that it's not compatible with spyros adventure so I get giants 2 days after and from then on started getting all the skylanders I thought are powerful which they are. That's my story what's yours?
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
triggernut Emerald Sparx Gems: 3483
#2 Posted: 01:14:03 20/05/2014
I've been in this franchise since the start with Spyro's Adventure (about 6 months after release that is.) Originally I mentioned the series to my sister as an idea for a birthday present for my nephew. I thought the idea that he could take the figures to different places and play with his same upgraded characters was cool. I bought him and myself each a copy when the game was on sale for half price. I started out with the intention that I'd only get a few figures for myself, I only intended to ever play the game when he was visiting. It didn't take long however before my nephew, as well as myself, were hooked. We were then off to the races to see who could get them all 1st! We've continued to get each new game and chase down figures together. This series has been a great and rather unexpected bonding tool for my nephew and I and for that I'm quite happy.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#3 Posted: 01:46:35 20/05/2014
Started with SSA. Heard about the game early on, and was sold on it because of Spyro. I got more into collecting the figures than I initially wanted to. I bought most of the ones I wanted and then I was like, well I almost have all of them so why not get the rest. At that time I got a bunch at the original $7.99 price which was rad.

As for Giants, I got a majority of those on sales and such from JC Penney's which was awesome, and got the game on launch. Swap Force I decided I didn't need the game right away and only grabbed the special edition ones. By the time I got the game a month later, there was already plenty out and slowly but surely, i filled out my collection. For the most part, I have everything except for the reposes.

Likely for Trap Team, I'll do the same I did for SF depending on if there's any bonuses on pick up. I'm plopping down $1 here and there just to test the waters.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#4 Posted: 05:57:17 20/05/2014
Well, I wanted SSA before its release however I couldn't get it until Christmas 2011. I got 9 Skylanders on Christmas. I never bought Skylanders in stores and always bought online and it did me good. I didn't get characters very fast and had to wait for birthdays and other things like that. Then I starting earning my own money to get Skylanders myself and by October 29th 2012 I had all 32 from SSA (Wasn't collecting variants but I got Dark Spyro in 2014).

Again with SG similar to SSA I had to wait to Christmas 2012. Again like SSA I bought almost every Skylander online. I only planned on getting new characters and Series 2 Wrecking Ball but I ended up getting more Series 2 than I wanted then I decided to get Series 2 as well because I got payed off of youtube. Then I had sort of finished when I got Punch Pop Fizz in August 17th 2013. I had given up on finding Series 2 Drobot. In 2014 I bought him on Amazon.com from America. I only got a few variants with this game.

With SFF my mum allowed me to have the game on release as a early Christmas present. So I got the game and planned to get at least everyone on the poster. Again I bought almost everyone online with a few in stores. Since some variants came with hats I decided to get them. I also got a few other variants in this game as well. Right now I just need Lightcore Bumble Blast and Kickoff Countdown and then I'm done with SSF and then i save up for STT.
---
dios Yellow Sparx Gems: 1487
#5 Posted: 07:29:51 20/05/2014
My then-significant other worked for GameStop. Her boss got a complimentary copy of SSA, and he couldn't trade it in at the time, so he sold it to my SO for $10. I did a lot of reading about the game, and I was intrigued. For $10, we certainly couldn't complain. So we played it once and instantly were hooked. At Black Friday, I picked up every available figure, and I've continued collecting since then.

Funny, we never got to play the game again while we were dating. I'm glad, too, since that means I get to cherish Gunhaver and Gillsgamesh forever in my heart.
Thepokeman Blue Sparx Gems: 590
#6 Posted: 07:31:12 20/05/2014
I saw an ad on telly for ssa and I bought it a month after its release date for my birthday since then I have 36 skylanders and my collection keeps growing
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#7 Posted: 14:46:00 20/05/2014
I did so slowly. I had heard NOTHING about the game before it came out, I really wasn't paying attention to it. I went to TRU and it had just come out, and they had a good sale on the figures (B2G1). I looked into it, checked the reviews on my phone then called my wife to see what she thought of it for a Christmas gift. She said it sounded like something he would like, so I bought a three pack, Pirate Seas, the game, and three singles (far from everything out). I mentioned the game to my son's friends parents figuring it would be great for them to play with each other and collect and they got it as well. I later also picked up Hex and Wrecking Ball for my wife and youngest to also play when they came out.

Then Christmas came and everything was gone in stores. My son liked the game, but then his friends really got into it too and it took off from there. So then we decided to go into it a bit more. Eventually we got them all for SSA, but it took a while since figures were so hard to find that Spring.

Most of his friends don't play it much anymore, but we still enjoy it.
nocturnalnathan Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#8 Posted: 22:23:07 20/05/2014
I had heard about Skylanders when it SSA came out, but passed it up, putting it off until Christmas. Then Christmas came around, and there were just other things I wanted more at the time. The idea had interested me, I loved the toys-to-life idea, plus I love collecting things and all of the figures looked cool. I just worried about it being too gimmicky and wondered how good the game play actually was.
Then that summer after SSA came out my girlfriend at the time (my wife now) had to move out for a couple of months due to an internship in another city. Having my apartment to myself got lonely and boring rather quickly, so I knew I needed a new hobby to pass the time. I was wandering around TRU one day and saw the Skylanders display and I finally decided I had waited long enough for it. I bought the game as well as a large number of the figures as a birthday present to me. I got it home and was hooked into the game instantly! (Naturally!)
I had a lot of fun looking for all of the figures that summer. Every time I went to visit my girlfriend where she was living, I'd spend a while just shopping around all of the big stores that weren't near me at the time. I managed to collect all of the figures in just a couple of months, and then started looking forward to Giants, collecting everything from that as soon as they'd come out, and doing the exact same thing with Swap Force!
---
"Chicks dig giant robots"
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#9 Posted: 23:37:32 20/05/2014
I saw adds on Tv and my parents saw my reaction and on Christmas 2011 I got SSA for the DS.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
joeiscool Yellow Sparx Gems: 1873
#10 Posted: 03:08:30 21/05/2014
Cool topic. I saw them at Target working there for a while so I decided to look it up online. Saw good reviews and some screen shots, looked like a fun platformer so I picked it up, not expecting to get too into it. Hundreds of dollars later I have one of each character (no rares and very few variants). I guess I have an obsessive personality!
---
-joeiscool
dinoah2005 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3472
#11 Posted: 03:31:15 21/05/2014
3 Months after SSA release.
Have all plus a lot of hard to get variants.
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#12 Posted: 04:08:54 21/05/2014
At first I was super stoked for SSA and really wanted to get it early. But my dad decided to take me to get it for my birthday instead (December 18th.) But when we got it, it was before my birthday. So the irony is that I had to wrap it and put it at the top of his closet (with his help) before I could open it...It was only a week before, so the wait wasnt that long. After that, we moved and I started to collect other Skylanders. (Back in the day when money wasnt scarce) I would get Skylanders in groups of 3 (First group was Sonic Boom, Stump Smash, and Bash) then as time passed by, I couldnt find any fire element characters. (Except for Eruptor, which I hate.) So I decided to get the other elements I needed. The next group is sort of split. I got Chop Chop and Double Trouble due to being off by a bit, then I went back and got Hex the same day. After that I got Dino Rang. Then, like months later, I finally found a fire character. Flameslinger. I was super excited and couldnt wait to be able to go through the fire gates and finish the game. A month or so after that, I wanted to find all the Adventure Packs. (That didnt come to be sadly) And I could only get Slam Bam. Summer between SSA and Giants (while I was so hyped for Giants) I went all the way to Pentagon City in DC and found Warnado, Camo, and Sunburn. I could sadly only get one, and I chose Warnado. I've been dying to go back and see that store again, but I haven't gone there since.

Then when Giants rolled along I was again late to jump on the bandwagon. I remember being at Target with my sisters and mom and getting the 60 dollars to buy the Portal Owner's Pack. I rushed to find the closest one and after I bought it, I was DYING to go home. That night, my mom was rearanging the room and I had to stop playing for like 5 minutes (sadest 5 minutes I had experienced.) The next morning, I woke up extra early just to continue before I left for school. A month or so after that, I was at the same Target and found my two favorite of the new cores. Sprocket and Flashwing. I was super excited that my mom gave me money to buy them both at the same time. I even remember the first level I played when I got home. Troll Home Security since it had an Earth Zone followed by a Tech Zone. Towards the end of Giants, a bit before Ninjini came out, I was at my cousin's house and decided to substitute for my cousin since she was supposed to go to Walmart with her older sister. I went and found Whirlwind, Cynder, and Crusher. Orginally I decided on Whirlwind and Crusher, but then I saw it was the last Crusher there and the packing was bad too.

Then the summer between Giants and Swap Force. Oh glob was I excited finding out about all 16 swappers's names at once. It was great, and I vowed to get all of them. (At the time of me writing this, I only need Doom Stone!)

So then I got Swap Force on November 30, 2013 (Yes I remember the date.) I told my dad I wanted to give it to my little sister since it was her birthday, but we both knew that was a lie. When I got home, I got right to playing. The first character I put on the Portal was Stealth Elf. I leveled her all the way to Level 3 or so before I decided it was time to switch. I first switched to Blast Buckler, then I switched to Wash Zone to do the Rocket challenge. I remember that Sonic Boom was the first of my older Skylanders to go into Swap Force (For the Air Gate in Chapter 1). And I was extremely excited. A month or so later, a new Walmart opened nearby (where I used to live anyway...) and my mom decided to go see it. Of course I took that opportunity to go with her, and came back with my 2 newest swappers, Night Shift and Grilla Drilla. When I was there, I orginally decided on Night Shift and S1 Camo, but then I remembered he was going to have a Series 2. Flash forward a couple of months and my mom and sisters and I returned to that Walmart, where I came out with Fire Kraken and the Tower of Time. When I got home, first I played a bit with Fire Kraken, then Pop Thorn, then decided to go and do the Tower of Time. 2 months or so after that, I went to the Target mentioned in the last paragraph and got Hoot Loop. It was just me and my older sister who went to the mall, so we got home rather quickly after that. Then I walked to the closest Gamestop and got Free Ranger and Magna Charge. 3 months or so after that I got Stink Bomb. Then a week after that I got Rubble Rouser. Then on my cousin's birthday, I got Smolderdash. And about a month or so ago from right now I got Spy Rise and Nitro Freeze Blade while looking for Rattle Shake. Last week, I ordered Trap Shadow and Rattle Shake on a Monday, where the delivery day was last Friday. I was waiting all day by the window for them to show up, and just as I gave up, the UPS guy was outside my door. Both me and my sister were super excited that they finally got here, and I opened them right away.

So about and hour ago, I figured out Gamestop now has Doom Stone as a Single character available for order. I hope I can get my mom to buy it, so I can complete the promise I made so many months ago...

That was WAY longer than I expected...
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#13 Posted: 04:19:59 21/05/2014
Me and my sister where watching tv one day and freaked when the commercial. It was Spyro! We had played the older games and Spyro the Enternal Night
We didn't like Spyro the Enternal Night so we gave it to GameStop and waited to see what was in store for Spyro.
and we couldn't wait to play it! Eventually we went to the state fair that year and our dad told us about the booth.
We showed our dad the commercial and told our mom about it.
we played the xBox360 one they had
which was awkward because we don't own a xBox. We ended up getting the controllers mixed up.
and we wanted it! The man gave us a character poster
now since lost
and in the car me and my sister looked at it. We feel in love with Whirlwind and Wrecking Ball. We then got the game for Christmas along with Wrecking Ball and a few other characters like Terrafin. We now own all the games and almost all the ones from Skylanders Spyro's Adventure.
Missing: Dino-Rang, Hex (I'm afraid of her...), Lightning Rod, Voodood, Double Trouble, and Wham-Shell
We aren't big on the collecting. I do most of it anyway but only the ones I find interesting, and my sister plays the more girly ones.
Flashwing, and Cynder.
My dad plays it too. Just not as often because of work.... But his favorite is Flameslinger.
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#14 Posted: 13:24:27 21/05/2014
I first heard about Skylanders when I saw commercials for Spyros Adventure around the time it came out. I had never played a Spyro game before, but the toys-to-life concept made me somewhat interested. I went to Toys R Us one day and got to see a short demo of the game. This is where my parents found out about Skylanders and they thought I would be interested in it. Boy were they right. Eventually on my birthday in June 2012, I got the Spyro's Adventure starter pack for Wii. I quickly opened it and played it for the first time... I was instantly hooked. And so began my love of Skylanders. Oh yeah, and Trigger Happy quickly became my favorite smilie

I got Giants sometime in early 2013, and while I wasn't as in love with it as I was with SA, I still enjoyed it and got various new characters.

Then came a couple weeks after Christmas 2013, when I got Swap Force. Excited, I popped it in, and loved every single second of it. Swapping those two characters for the first time...it felt amazing. I actually felt more compelled to get more characters for THIS game than the other two, considering it's the one I love the most. smilie

So yeah... that's my story, I guess smilie
---
Purple dragon.
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#15 Posted: 13:46:10 21/05/2014
I was at costco and saw all the SSA bundle and Boomer was there smilie first time I was seeing this and I was like Bring them back to life? Sounds interresting. And looked behind the boxes and saw Skylanders Universe! And if you don't know I'm a big multiplayer online games fan! :3 So I started playing, was cool, bought a lot of them! Now I think I have 50 figurines, the 3 games and lost island smilie
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#16 Posted: 14:50:21 21/05/2014
So, I was reading my brand new Nintendo Power on a trip, and saw a small article on S:SA. I immediately remembered Spyro from my childhood and was hooked. I preordered the game at Gamestop (a mistake, I nearly missed out on the Volcanic Vault), and got a few figures.

I loved it.

Then I started to get into the collector's aspect of it. Bought my first chase figure, Gold Drill Sergeant, for $30.

During the drought of figures, I managed to get all of Wave 2 for decent prices. I even found an Empire of Ice when it was extremely rare.

Soon, I was sitting with all the original characters, some loose, some brand new, some variants.

Yep, and it all has been going uphill since.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#17 Posted: 15:17:01 21/05/2014
I heard about SSA and thought it sounded cool, but right around that time I started hearing about how Giants coming out soon in my Nintendo Power magazine. My friend was already into skylanders, so he knew more about the games than me. He advised me to wait and get Giants instead. I ended getting Giants on 3ds for Christmas, and I was hooked. However, I was wondering why I couldn't find Thumpback, Ninjini, or Eye Brawl in stores. My friend then told me about these "waves," so I began researching when certain skylanders were coming out and in what wave, and that's also how I got here.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#18 Posted: 12:22:38 22/05/2014
Well i saw SSA for a couple of years on the shelves but i am a very closed minded person nor am i really a spyro fan . I did get the idea you buy a toy and can unlock the characterto play with .

My little brother ever the gamer and spyro fan started discussing it and wanting to try it out . Finally last year October on the month of his birthday he made a royal demand for it . We take birthday,s very very serious . If its your birthday you are king for a day . Since he wanted it , i made it my mission to "want" it too . To add to the fun I browsed through possible toy choices and fell in love 2 greeny,s called Boomer and Voodood . I have an affinity for orcs and goblin creatures.

I used some cabbage and picked up Voodood , the starter for 23 bucks and a Camo . This was all at the begining of the month and lil bro has his birthday 2 weeks . Then he started talking about elements unlocking gates . Couple days later i bought and wrapped up bash .

A week after that we bought the DS game for 10 bucks . Little brother kind of hoped i bought a whirlwind instead of camo since DS Stealth elf could cover Life and Igniter covered fire . Basically i bought a Hex and a Boomer . Bought a Whirlwind to wrap up . We opened the DS and played with it . Lil brother used stealth elf and dark spyro and i played with Hex , Boomer and Igniter .

On his birthday we opened the console and the other skylanders . That how the insanity began . Little brother likes the dragons more and i like everything else . We did the same for giants on Christmas . At first the idea was to get a PS portal owners pack and a full DS game .
Little brother asked the manager for a stock list and found the Giants PS game with Glow in dark cynder was a quarter price 23 bucks so we got that and the 10 buck DS portal owners pack . Once again we paid next to nothing for Giants PS and DS . I regret not getting a punch pop fizz .

Those were wrapped for christmas and we bought 3 adventure packs Pirates , Dragon Peak and Empire of Ice . The ice adventure pack was wrapped for christmas too .

Around february we bought a loose Darklight crypt with cards and codes except Ghost Roaster . It was a good deal

We decided to get Swopforce for Easter . We were full blown addicts with lots of toys . We paid full price for both Swopforce DS and PS Dark edition that came up to 210 bucks . OOOOOOOOOWWWWW THAAA HORRROR OWY OWY STINGY WOW !!!!!!!!! Seriously that hurt alot Swopforce is the most expensive game we ever bought .

Thats my Story smilie
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:24:22 22/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#19 Posted: 17:32:31 22/05/2014
I was just a Spyro fan, and I had a couple of the classic games (AHT and Shadow legacy) And the Legend of Spyro series. When I heard about SSA, I was hyped! My parents got it for me for xmas, and I played it on xmas morning.
Ok, to be honest, I wasn't impressed. The "chapters" passed by really quickly (I only had the 3 starter pack Skylanders, and I wasn't bothered about Trigger happy or gill grunt) And I had to play the game really slowly to make it look longer, so my parents wouldn't be disappointed. I picked up quite a few characters along the way, and learned to like the game.
Giants was released. I got it on release day. Wasn't impressed. Since then my interest has dwindled (I love that word!) I preordered Swap force, but regret it. SSA just seemed to be the best, I mean there were only 32 Skylanders to collect, which I could handle, and I loved the water areas in it. Still, nothing like the Spyro games before it which dragged me into this franchise at the beginning smilie

The end!
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#20 Posted: 03:55:11 07/06/2014
It wasn't till September 2012 that I started with SSA. I bought the game pre owned and bought trigger happy on my own. I then started getting characters from each element. I skipped Giants but have a lot of SSF figures. IF I had more money I would probably have all the figures by now haha.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#21 Posted: 06:23:38 07/06/2014
I was walking through Target one day, looking at the games they had, when I saw a Skylanders: Spyros Adventure booth. I was interested, so I bought it that winter. I loved it and collected all 32 figures, sidekicks, and a silver Eruptor. I continued to Giants, collecting those 16 figures. But when Disney Infinity came out, being a huge Disney geek, I switched over and never got Swap Force, and don't plan on getting Trap Team.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#22 Posted: 06:37:57 07/06/2014
I first saw the idea and thought it definitely had potential. I first saw some characters in the store like smilie and smilie and knew these were ones I wanted. However, I waited too long and noticed that these were getting harder to find. So then I realized this was becoming the next big thing in history and got into the game in 2012 when wave 3 was out. I eventually bought smilie and smilie for my first two characters. Then I really wanted smilie the most and got him and after that I got all of them and kept buying these games. This is the only game I like to play nowadays since most of my favorite childhood icons vanished like the original Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and even Bomberman left me. Also forgot to mention that I got into the game officially when wave 3 was out and had Hex, Double Trouble, Stump Smash, Stealth Elf, Drill Sergeant and Gill grunt as my starter characters. So I literally was like a Pokemon trainer and had six characters to play when I got the game while my brother kept Triggerhappy and Spyro since he wanted them and he had Cynder and Drobot. One more thing I needed to mention was that I love these games because I was a vintage gamer and seeing all my favorite games like Crash and Rayman slowly vanishing to even being pure gone broke my heart. Seeing nothing but first person shooter games and other redundant games made me lose hope in games and seeing this being more family oriented made me feel like a kid again. This is why I always thank Toys For Bob for all the joy they brought to us and the whole world while introducing a cool aesthetic in the process.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:16:36 17/09/2014 by GhostRoaster617
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#23 Posted: 13:24:13 07/06/2014
i have always loved spyro and platformer games, so when i did see the skylanders spyros adventure game, i was eager to play it. i got it on day one and was loving it, then i bought the skylanders giants because i wanted more... and so it goes on and i have swap force and all the 3ds games too now. im a sucker for awesome figurine design, so that is another reason i like the skylanders. but the idea to get a psychical thing of the character to hold and own in real is just awesome, because i am no fan of digital dlc releases etc. if it cost more i dont mind since i can own it. but with that said im a bit worried about the future of the skylanders franchises and where it is going at the moment.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Jamilmereck Red Sparx Gems: 21
#24 Posted: 20:21:53 09/06/2014
came as a bit of a surprise...so i'd seen skylanders at target for years thought it was cute, but couldn't justify the game cost, especially since i really had not been buying new games really...just waiting until they go on clearance....so that aside, the other thing that ultimately led to the skylandering is my and my partner are both toy collectors and have a room downstairs dedicated to showing of our collections...my partners got the main floor with the biggest display for Masters of the Universe (MOTU) and with castles and such he was needing some other castl-y looking things...ands one day recently about a month or so ago we were at TRU and they hada major clearance on lots of stuff including the accessories for skylander, so the tower carry case was like $3 i think.. no... $8..but anyway it was perfect...so we both bought some to add to our castly display with parapets etc....and we'd go back and find more stuff that would work on great clearance prices...so next came the light up portal tray/display...that will take the portal in the middle and lights up all around with a spot for each element, and the elements change colors...just an awesome display pc...again had NOTHING to do with skylanders in our minds...just ways to enhance our existing toy displays...then on another trip at one fateful TRU...they had the portable starter pack for iphone/ipad with a portal and 3 characters...

And that was the beginning...i started playing the portable game....the portal starter pack was only $15..with the download for the game for iphone, the portal (which is universal except for xbox)....and like i said 3 or 4 characters...the portal part was fun and the character "personalities" starting captivating me....double trouble's BOOM, chakalacka. and oogabooga, for some reason just is so endearing...so then i saw i could by the giants game off ebay for $9 and i had the portal and decided to start picking up just the lightcores, until i realized the giant giants are all pretty much lightcores...and yeah...well it's been going since then...my most recent acquisition being the scarlet ninjini for $4.8 on clr at tru....still need all the other giant giants though...all of them...and then most of the lightcores...still have to buy characters for live, water and fire...(i have a fire one but only good for swap force)....and i have several of the charms and stuff, cannon, empire of ice, all bought via ebay....totally addictive, and yeah i'm hooked...and i love the game...wanting a cheap bundle for swap force with it's portal since it is diff from the one i have and ultimately am going to want trap team also....i'm diggin it...what can i say...
batcoolszx89 Ripto Gems: 697
#25 Posted: 01:22:26 15/09/2014
I was just watching tv in 2011 then I saw skylanders on TV and I asked my mom if I could get it she said yes then we went to gamestop the next day
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#26 Posted: 01:31:40 15/09/2014
I brought dino rang and thought the figures were cool so i got them all and when i found out they were apart of a game is bought the game and i have loved the series ever since.
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#27 Posted: 14:08:10 15/09/2014
The family initially saw Skylanders when TRU had a demo setup for the game before release. We didn't really think much of it then. Interesting concept, but we weren't "wowed" by it. SSA had been out for some weeks and TRU had a promo for the Legendary 3-pack free with the purchase of the starter pack. That purchase pretty much did it. My boys wanted to get the other figures and, since it was near Christmas, I was able to get all the figures that were out using various deals. After that, we've been buying them as we see them. I'm not a completist, so I don't get every figure that comes out.
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#28 Posted: 23:27:34 15/09/2014
I first heard about the game on a TV ad, and didn't think much into it.
Then, a couple weeks later, my fifth grade teacher brought the game to class, only so her son wouldn't find his Xmas present at home. My friends and I were all intrigued, and decided to ask for the game. We all got it, but only me and a friend stayed through to Giants.

After that one friend left the series around Wave Two for Giants, I was the only one sticking with the game. I've loved my time with it, as this game is certainly amazing and unique. I own one figure of each character, along with variants and chase variants. My room is decorated with the cards and posters, along with rare ones hanging on the wall.
---
A story.
jdavplay Blue Sparx Gems: 650
#29 Posted: 08:54:52 16/09/2014
I've been collecting/playing Spyro games since the original (I had Spyro the Dragon pre-ordered at Electronics Boutique -- back in 1998 you often had to pre-order a game just to ensure a place got a copy on release day--things are WAAAAY different today)!

Even though I personally felt the series only went downhill after the PS1 era, I was already invested in the character and first heard about SSA in the previews section of Game Informer the spring prior. I'd always enjoyed collecting/displaying action figures for game characters, so the fact that this was marrying the two concepts out of the gate, I knew it would be an expensive but very fun series to get into.

A tad off topic, but can't say I'm super stoked about Trap Team from the collection side of things - I like the majority of the new figures, but trap collection doesn't have the same allure to me as vibrant fun character collecting. I liken it to our Mario figure collection - I want plastic versions of the power-ups as opposed to an assortment of question blocks.
Couragefan09 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3392
#30 Posted: 09:27:51 16/09/2014
I've been a Spyro fan since I was a kid and I loved the original trilogy. Hated all the games after Insomniac left the picture but The Legend Of Spyro trilogy drew me back in again as a flawed but still fairly fun series of games. I initially hated the Skylanders concept both for being an overpriced, money grubbing tactic of a game (which it pretty much still is but it's an amusing, overpriced game series none the less.) and because I loathed Spyro's newest resigned. (I'll admit, I still don't care for it much.)

So I wrote SSA off for quite a long time. I don't remember why, but just as it was about to be released, I started looking into it a bit more again. I laughed it off once more, assuming that it was going to be cheaply made cash grab, but then I saw awesome looking characters like Drobot and Whirlwind and decided I'd give it a shot if only to see how these characters played. I bought both the console and 3DS versions of the game and a few characters to go along with it and I was hooked. I absolutely loved the novelty of it. None of the newer Skylander games have managed to capture the same feeling I had for the first game but then again, it lost the novelty factor after the first time.

Of course, I still enjoy the Skylander series but SSA is the only game thus far where I bought all the characters and I'm certain it's going to stay that way. My biggest problem with the series right now is just the general trend in character designs. The 'humaniod animal character with weapon' design has been getting far too prevalent for my tastes as the series goes on. I will still be playing Trap Team though and while the 'humanoid animal' thing is still dominant with many of the characters, they've done a much better job balancing it out this time with several more non-standard designs this time around.

Needless to say, I'm hooked, although I still wish they'd one day go back to making standard Spyro games again. Now that he's out of the spotlight when it comes to Skylanders, I'm hoping they'll let him have a game to himself one day.
conquertronina Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#31 Posted: 15:57:24 17/09/2014
I work for one of the companies that is involved in the Skylanders books, and when I was reading some of them, I thought, "Hmm, this game sounds really fun! I should buy it 'for research' so I will be better at my job." I'm a grown lady, but I never really played video games as a kid, so the fact that it's aimed at kids is kind of a plus, since I'm not super experienced with gaming. Now I just love the game, and want to know everything about it! You know...for research.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me