darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Does getting a new Skylander mean as much to you as it did in SSA?
Page 1 of 1
Does getting a new Skylander mean as much to you as it did in SSA? [CLOSED]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 15:11:59 04/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Getting Skylanders in the SSF era wasn't as awesome and exciting than when I got SSA Skylanders.
---
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#2 Posted: 15:17:43 04/05/2014
I know, right? Ever since Giants, getting a new skylander was like "yay, diamond trick, done". During SSA, I would play story chapters with them, spend hours getting to know them, debate on paths, find the best hats and name. I would personally know them, do heroics and that Skylanders Universe game. I would level them up with hours of grinding. There's a reason that most of my Swap Force have 1-5 hours of gameplay when my SSA skylanders have 20-70.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 15:56:28 04/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: GoldenCamo
I know, right? Ever since Giants, getting a new skylander was like "yay, diamond trick, done". During SSA, I would play story chapters with them, spend hours getting to know them, debate on paths, find the best hats and name. I would personally know them, do heroics and that Skylanders Universe game. I would level them up with hours of grinding. There's a reason that most of my Swap Force have 1-5 hours of gameplay when my SSA skylanders have 20-70.

Wow... When I finished the story when I had 9 Skylanders I have hardly played with any SSA guys... I just upgraded and level up and that's it. Most have low playtimes because of their lack of Heroic Challenges.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#4 Posted: 16:45:09 04/05/2014
Not really, but it isn't because I started using easy gold exploits on characters. I still play through chapters with them to level them up, because then I can play them better, plus using exploits is boring. The only time I ever use exploits is when I've already gone through the character, and I'm playing them again(like a Legendary version, etc.), and even then I don't do it all the time- usually just if I don't like the character, or I don't feel like playing the game(and then I might just leave them alone until I feel like playing again).

It's just not special like SA was. Collecting in SA was much simpler with so few ingame variants, and I found that more fun. Also, the fact that there was only one version of a character, besides a few... Made playing with them more fun, and getting a toy of each character more fun, too. Collecting feels oversaturated with dupes of characters now like the LightCores. It makes each toy feel less special, and it kind of hampers my excitement to get new toys when there's probably going to be a repose or variant of them in the next game to collect(though this is bought on by my "collect 'em all" attitude). I mean, only a few characters (outside of the Gimmicklanders, which they don't seem to want to make extras of?) right now don't have any kind of variant or repose.

There's also Adventure Packs which were spread out more than they were in SF(here in Aus anyway, since we never got Darklight until October), and there were twice as many in SA. They were nice to look forward to, and they're much more exciting than the crummy Battle Packs(they need to go! More APs > any BPs). I was actually really pumped to get SWI in SF, because it came with a new level, and a new character I really liked. I didn't even remember that they unlocked more Survival Arenas, but I think that's great, too. I think that simply making more Adventure Packs again could make collecting much more fun, because they're really something I looked forward to getting in SA. New AP levels, even though the levels themselves honestly weren't that great in my opinion, were one of the best things in SA. Now that they unlock Survival Arenas it would be even more exciting to see more of them.

Then there's Portal Master Magic that helped to make collecting more fun, but I'm confident that I've driven that subject into the ground, so I won't discuss it again.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:48:30 04/05/2014 by Arc of Archives
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#5 Posted: 22:54:51 04/05/2014
I am still excited every time i buy a new skylander . Its all still pretty new to me i guess ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#6 Posted: 22:56:38 04/05/2014
Simply put, no.
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#7 Posted: 00:54:57 05/05/2014
Release day of the next game and NEW figures on day one gets me very excited. After the day one awesomeness, not as much.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#8 Posted: 01:02:25 05/05/2014
Well it was never exciting for me due to how much of a hassle it was to get figures. As long as I got the ones I wanted I was happy and I've been that way since SA.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#9 Posted: 02:17:20 05/05/2014
It all depends how hard it was to find.

Polar Whirlwind, Wham shell, Hothead, Thumpback, Hyperbeam Prism Break.....

If it was chore to find someone the family wanted, it was exciting to get them. With much larger production totals for the figures, it was just easier to get ahold of them, which is why I think it was less "exciting" or "satisfying" for many.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#10 Posted: 23:02:11 05/05/2014
Last year i went all over the place to find s2 trigger happy and that made it really fun going hunting. I don't find it boring I just think they have ignored the portal master and skylander thing because the first story was great the skylanders where sent to earth and everything else happened but with s2 and s3's they have gone away from the skylanders sent to earth thing. Even though I know there toys I try to think if I didn't know that they are toys then what explanation is there for the reposes? Anyway sf was not all that exciting to collect because the variants stayed for a lot of time in stores for example the best buy sprocket variant which was released in January is still in my best buy and jolly bumble blast is still in my toys r us. Trap team will be more exciting, not that sf wasn't a good game it was great and the innovation was great too just how they released stuff where messed up a little
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
Amauriel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1071
#11 Posted: 19:21:28 07/05/2014
Yes, getting a new Skylander might actually be better for me now. When I got into SSA, I was a bit late to the party. Bought it after Christmas that first year. Getting my hands on figures was terrible, and although I enjoy the hunt it was frustrating to come back to work after a lunch spent looking for figures and coming back empty-handed most of the time. Now, I can be at the stores when they open and thanks to great sites with good info, especially this site, I can usually know when I need to be on the hunt. I come home with characters I want much more often and as soon as I do, they are open and on the portal.
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#12 Posted: 20:47:43 07/05/2014
Its exciting every time.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#13 Posted: 21:12:37 07/05/2014
Quote: Portal King
Last year i went all over the place to find s2 trigger happy and that made it really fun going hunting. I don't find it boring I just think they have ignored the portal master and skylander thing because the first story was great the skylanders where sent to earth and everything else happened but with s2 and s3's they have gone away from the skylanders sent to earth thing. Even though I know there toys I try to think if I didn't know that they are toys then what explanation is there for the reposes? Anyway sf was not all that exciting to collect because the variants stayed for a lot of time in stores for example the best buy sprocket variant which was released in January is still in my best buy and jolly bumble blast is still in my toys r us. Trap team will be more exciting, not that sf wasn't a good game it was great and the innovation was great too just how they released stuff where messed up a little

Yeah. Cursed Activision for undermining scalpers and ensuring there was plenty of figures for all.

I don't think they messed up at all. They looked at demand and realized the first two games didn't quite keep up.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
preciousawaken Yellow Sparx Gems: 1774
#14 Posted: 22:44:17 07/05/2014
I always find it exciting. It can be frustrating as anything to find them but always exciting to finally unpackage them and play the game for the first time.
Jonlander Green Sparx Gems: 433
#15 Posted: 06:13:44 08/05/2014
Just put on the Skylander Hunting song. My daughter and I still get very excited. We put the song on and go hunt. It's all in how you look at it.

"Who's huntin' wit us, us? Who's huntin' wit us, us?"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:20:08 08/05/2014 by Jonlander
preciousawaken Yellow Sparx Gems: 1774
#16 Posted: 13:41:34 08/05/2014
Quote: Jonlander
Just put on the Skylander Hunting song. My daughter and I still get very excited. We put the song on and go hunt. It's all in how you look at it.

"Who's huntin' wit us, us? Who's huntin' wit us, us?"

I like that idea!! Thanks.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#17 Posted: 17:09:04 08/05/2014
Nah, not really. There's not really much fun in it anymore, although I do like getting new characters when they're on special offer. Then I get excited smilie
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#18 Posted: 17:27:55 08/05/2014
I don't get the thrill as well as before, but some still felt great. Such as Eye Brawl, Grim Creeper, Wind Up and especially Dune Bug. Although I do still agree it was more fun the first time.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#19 Posted: 17:37:47 08/05/2014
I still enjoy getting them, but no it isn't like it was. It actually isn't difficult anymore, ironically enough. With much less effort your able able to find new ones easily, between more street dates, larger shipments and less interest altogether it just doesn't feel as exciting to find a new one. Not that that is terribly bad, it sure saves on the gas and frustration.

Last year a new release would have been GONE in a few hours, but two weeks later LC Bumbleblast is still around untouched (imagine if LC Hex came out in late April last year). Variants disappeared in a day or two, this year we still have regular sightings and availability of variants released on Day 1. It took a couple months before new releases would be seen commonly in stores, Trap Shadow, Freeze Blade, and other recent releases are common sights and never really were uncommon.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#20 Posted: 17:55:47 08/05/2014
I don't even buy many Skylanders these days, as I already have about 40, Im not a collector, and There just aren't many I like. I mean, in the first game I set out to get all the dragon Skylanders (Because they were awesome!) But since then its died down - I mean the Giants weren't that appealing apart from Ninjini and the Swappers are all ugly humanoid things. But, when I do buy a new Skylander I still get pretty excited! smilie
Thepokeman Blue Sparx Gems: 590
#21 Posted: 20:31:25 08/05/2014
Yes although I have alot I rarely get them I only get them when its christmas I have the money I get good test results or my birthday so its always a treat for me in fact when I bought my freeze blade(my most powerful plus favourite skylander) I was jumping and clapping.
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#22 Posted: 22:44:54 08/05/2014
Stop buying them on release day then, let those that want to buy them on release day actually get them. It's a current problem I keep witnessing.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Jackalope Green Sparx Gems: 262
#23 Posted: 02:51:54 10/05/2014
No, it means even more to me now. In Spyro's Adventure, I attempted and succeeded in collecting every Skylander, but some of them were hardly used. It took a while to get gold for them. Same thing with Giants, but the Giants themselves were really cool. Fast forward to Swap Force, and now I'm only getting Skylanders I want. This motivates me to play each character equally, and a smaller team makes it easier and more fun to choose one to play as. Swap Force even motivates me to play as older characters that I like but never fully upgraded, since it seems a bit easier to get gold in it.
---
Trap Team Collection: smilie smilie smilie smilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#24 Posted: 14:45:55 10/05/2014
A bunch of Debbie Downers here....but yeah I agree with most...not as fun. That's probably why they are hinging so much on the gimmick I guess.

[User Posted Image]
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:46:38 10/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#25 Posted: 15:21:37 10/05/2014
Yeh, i can really relate it was the most fun when i had only SSA in Giants and Swap Force it wasnt that exiting
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
icecube7731 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1298
#26 Posted: 19:00:52 10/05/2014

You are completely right I played so much of SSA I leveled every character, maxed them all out, and even did their challenges. But I was not able to do the same with SG or SSF. I don't know if it is the overwhelming amount of characters in these games or just a loss of connection. I still enjoy the franchise but I don't have the same love or the same drive in the new games. Another thing is in SSA when you got all 32 characters and the 5 variants it was a huge accomplishment. Now because of the reposes I feel like the characters have no meaning anymore, they are a temporary gain and nothing else.
---
37skylanders bsmilie rsmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
28skylanders + minis(no smilie)
SSF: All minus dark STT: All standard
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#27 Posted: 01:02:23 12/05/2014
Not really. Ever since giants i just get skylanders to complete a mission, or something. I used to have so much fun! such sad times it is now...
but i do like grim creeper!
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2753
#28 Posted: 01:33:02 29/05/2014
I really miss the SSA days, but SG, and SSF are still fun
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#29 Posted: 13:05:15 29/05/2014
Quote: icecube7731

You are completely right I played so much of SSA I leveled every character, maxed them all out, and even did their challenges. But I was not able to do the same with SG or SSF. I don't know if it is the overwhelming amount of characters in these games or just a loss of connection. I still enjoy the franchise but I don't have the same love or the same drive in the new games. Another thing is in SSA when you got all 32 characters and the 5 variants it was a huge accomplishment. Now because of the reposes I feel like the characters have no meaning anymore, they are a temporary gain and nothing else.

Actually, you're missing one of the big holes - the level cap. In SSA it was only ten. I could get to ten in one or two runs of the last level - so you actually COULD level all the characters to max in a reasonable time. Since then they've upped it to 15 and now 20, and it takes A LOT to max out a character now. for all the time I've spent, I only have ONE level 20 and no one is even/remotely close despite my attempts at leveling up more characters. I've got tons and tons of characters around level 8-10 - which would be nigh maxed out in SSA, but is only like 1/4 of the journey in SF.

As for the OP - no. I get excited when a new figure comes out and I can run out during lunch and get it early, but I didn't get into SSA until about half way through Giant's life cycle - so I had to HUNT down figures. Now? Psssh, TRU has them all...even for Giants. Nothing is wrong with it, but the allure is gone as there is no 'rare' figure worth hunting down (screw chase-variants).
- Unreall
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me