darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Should I get this game? (Got it! + Thoughts)
Page 1 of 1
Should I get this game? (Got it! + Thoughts) [CLOSED]
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#1 Posted: 00:07:15 01/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Edit: Got the game after all, scroll down for my thoughts about it.

First of all, hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I found this site between The Legend of Spyro ANB and TEN, and have used it as a great source for guides, news, and all-around reference since.

I got Skylanders Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders Giants right as they came out, but I skipped this game due to a variety of reasons, but mostly that the Pokemon game that came out that same weekend had all my attention. Now, with the news of Trap Team, I'm wondering if I should get this game after all.

My initial plan, when I was originally planning to get this game, was to wait until price fell, and that has happened now. I was also going to wait until I had all the characters I wanted, and right now I'm stalking Amazon prices for Scratch, the only Swap Force character that caught my eye. One of the reasons I skipped the game was that none of the titular "Swap Force" looked like a character I was interested in, as they all had the same body style; and that one didn't appeal to me.

I've recently been replaying Vicarious Visions' "Skylanders Spyro's Adventure" for the 3DS, and realizing how much I love that game. It is far from perfect, but the characters all feel appropriately powerful, the combat isn't tedious, and the main part of the gameplay revolves around maneuvering around: platforming.

However, although the console version of Spyro's Adventure wasn't as purely fun to me, I still enjoyed it greatly. The game seems to have genuine love put into it, and all characters have their own quirks. I was really into this game, so much that I ended up with more than 20 figures; well beyond what I expected to get when I first heard of it.

Giants, however, was a big waste of time and money. The Giants themselves didn't appeal to me, the gameplay didn't improve (in fact, much of the first game's charm was gone) and overall, it left a terrible taste in my mouth for the series. Even the 3DS version, although better than the console, felt like a waste. The only reason I kept the game at all was that I loved Flashwing and Fright Rider, and I would love to still be able to use them.

The things that appealed to me about Swap Force were the art style, the fact that Vicarious Visions made it, and the fact that the minigames unlocked with the Swappers look like maneuvering challenges. But, is that enough to make it worth it? That's why I'm here.

I enjoy games that focus more on maneuvering than combat. I always feel that enemies should be obstacles, not the point of the game. I want to be able to explore worlds and find hidden objects, but I don't want to pay an additional $60-90 to unlock everything. As such, I would not be buying the Swappers that are necessary to unlock the other areas until they have been out long enough to decrease in price significantly. $5 per figure is fine, $15 is not.

So, my questions are:

1. How much of the game is combat vs. exploration/maneuvering challenge? Include with and without Swap Zones that don't come with the Starter Pack.

2. If you've played the 3DS version: is it better than Giants? Why? How does it compare to Spyro's Adventure?

3. Is the game worth the money? Does it deliver enough game time to justify spending more than $40 on the game alone (since that's what it's going for on Amazon at the moment)? Does the game make you feel locked out if you cannot access all of the Swap Zones?

4. How about the old characters? I would most likely be using my Spyro's Adventure figures, led by Spyro himself, for the majority of the game. As I have so many, I haven't used all of them yet. Are they still as powerful as they were in earlier games? I read a while ago on here that many were nerfed.

5. From what I've said above, do you think I might enjoy the game?

Thank you in advance for any advice, and sorry for the novel. I tend to type a lot when I have something to say.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:40:31 27/05/2014 by ladala
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#2 Posted: 00:57:00 01/05/2014
1. The levels have quite a bit of combat, but the Swap Zones (sans the Spin ones, in my personal opinion) are fun and unique, and the elemental gates are usually more based around maneuvering/jumping than combat, at least compared to the last two games.
2. N/A, I haven't played the 3DS version
3. I'm happy with the game, and I honestly think it was well worth the money. The game has less Adventure packs, but the two have incredibly long levels that feel more worth the money than the SSA/SG ones.
4. I feel like they've been balanced out in this game, that the characters mostly feel on-par with each other strength-wise. If one thing was nerfed, it's definitely the characters' speed, across the board.
5. Hmm... I feel you'd get your money's worth out of it since it's on sale, and there's plenty of content even if you don't go for any extra Swappers. The characters are flavorful and have a lot of personality (Seriously, Wind-up is fidgety and cute and awesome), the graphics are really nice, jumping is a wonderful addition to the mechanics for both combat and maneuvering, and the older characters still look right at home.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#3 Posted: 21:05:35 01/05/2014
1. The combat is pretty straight forward in this game. Every enemy has same one attack, reskin it later in a few levels, rinse repeat. There is enough different types however to keep it from being too repetitive. And the new cores and swappers seem to have more of a focus on combo, strategy, and timing this time around vs the button mashing from giants and ssa characters. Since you enjoy Fright R that should be a plus.

I found the items a bit harder to find in giants than in swapforce, but swapforce has a lot more of them so it still takes about the same time. It balances out to me. The lvls are still linear however.

The hub is more like ssa so more exploration and running around vs the ship.

The difficulty for the swapzones. I myself beat them all on nightmare in and hour or too. Hard to spend the most time on the loading screens, but Ive noticed my game level is not the norm around here. If you are a dedicated active gamer they are fun but not difficult. And the swapzones usually hold a charm, a hat, or a legendary treasure. If you are fine with not having every stat boost in the game its cool. Not very alienated and the swapzones are usually located off to the side so its not in your face all the time if you dont have a movement type.

3. I dont know what systems you have but 40 does not feel like it would be worth it on wii because of all the extra content cut out. The other systems i would support. Also check out ebay they have some copies of the game around 30 depending what system. And I cant say if 40 is worth the 3ds.

4. Give the pvp sticky thread a read through. It has some really good conversations that would go far more indepth than here. I have found every character can solo nightmare mode, some easier than others mind you, so pick your favorites and have fun.

5. The game lasts longer than giants and ssa imo, but it is not super long. You already have some landers so pick up the game cheap and enjoy. If you go for wii however beware of the glitches. Some people have had them be game breaking. There should be a wii topic about the glitches if you want to know more lying around.

and a little extra heroic challenges have been taken out so if you loved doing those they are gone in favor of some missions that you only have to do once and they give the stat boots to any skylanders playing on the save game, but they dont transfer over to other systems.
#4 Posted: 23:32:15 01/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks Wolfgang and shadowfox. So, it looks so far that the console version is worth it for the reduced price (I'd be getting the PS3 version, by the way), but probably not the 3DS version? (Anyone who's played that version have any thoughts?) I'm going with Amazon since I have a few gift cards for it, so ebay's out of the question at the moment. Looking into it a bit more, it actually looks like I could get it used on there for cheaper than the listed price, I just have to look at the description to make sure they're sending the entire Starter Pack.

I'll look at the PVP list now, to see what I think, but if combat is more dodging and timing related, especially with added jumping, I think I might enjoy that. Using characters like Zap and Whirlwind (hit and run characters) was actually really fun in my playthroughs of SSA and Giants. Just not Nightmare Mode. I hated that. And if the elemental gates are more platforming-oriented, that would probably be fun too, and I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting more figures. Not sure if I'm getting the Adventure Packs. I'm trying to be a bit frugal this time around, but I might consider it if I enjoy the rest of the game.

Is it obvious what is earned in the Swap Zones, or at least how much? I'm usually a completionist when it come to video games, especially ones that relate to Spyro. It frustrated me in Spyro's Adventure when I played through before I got a Life character, and I was trying whatever I could to find out how to get the Legendary Treasure in that one early level with the hidden Life Zone. I don't mind not getting everything, but I do want to make sure I do know what can be gotten.

Also, any more opinions? I realize that not as many people are checking this section with the Trap Team news, but any opinions, good and bad, would be appreciated. ^.^
---
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#5 Posted: 23:50:37 01/05/2014
You win 1 goody per swap zone, the goody varies on level. At the end of the level it will tell you what you are missing from the level with the star system like in the previous games. So if you are missing one thing from the level and havent completed the swap zone then you know what it is.
Chronoglenn Red Sparx Gems: 69
#6 Posted: 23:26:55 02/05/2014
I have to advocate Swap Force. My girlfriend and I got into Skylanders late (right when Swap Force came out) but we started with SSA and loved it. When Giants hit she hated it. I played through and evnetually fell for it but she couldn't stand it, similar to you. However with Swap Force she fell in love again. A lot of it is the hub, in my opinion, as well as the better engine and I think camera and level design is better too. The bonus levels and secret areas in giants were boring.
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#7 Posted: 01:36:08 03/05/2014
Skip Swaf Force for Trap Team, unless you find a great deal.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#8 Posted: 03:33:35 03/05/2014
Since you can get it for $40-50, I think it would be silly to skip it.

If you already have all the elements, there is a lot of game to play here.

The Swap Zones are the least vital part if the game, the dual element gates can be accessed by having two core landers of those elements on the portal.

The adventure packs, IMO, are also well worth the purchase. Even longer then the SA adventure pack levels.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#9 Posted: 16:51:22 03/05/2014
Quote: Earth-Dragon
Since you can get it for $40-50, I think it would be silly to skip it.

If you already have all the elements, there is a lot of game to play here.

The Swap Zones are the least vital part if the game, the dual element gates can be accessed by having two core landers of those elements on the portal.

The adventure packs, IMO, are also well worth the purchase. Even longer then the SA adventure pack levels.

Where can you get it for that low? I couldn't even find a 3DS version that low.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
#10 Posted: 16:59:20 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks everyone. I decided to go ahead and get it, since it looks like the pros outweigh the cons. Managed to get it, and a triple pack (Spyro/Chill/Zoo Lou), for $50 altogether, so I feel like I got a good deal.

Researching other topics, I think I'll skip the 3DS version, unless I decide I want to get the Swappers. It seems that the overall outlook on that game is meh, which wouldn't be worth the price to me.

I'll keep this topic up, and write what I think about the game, once I've played it, in case there are any lurkers who have similar concerns.

Thanks again, everyone!
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#11 Posted: 23:34:45 04/05/2014
1. I think you will be very very happy with all the exploration and funny challenges . I do think there is less combat .

2. The 3DS version of Swop Force has taken it to a whole new level of gaming fun . Everything has been improved . I usually say it feels more like the console game then a 3DS game. How does it compare ? Well i would say you feel like its a bigger world and you have more freedom . 3DS SSA and Giants felt "cramped' and linear . You also just need to scan in all your toys once and can summon them at will .

3. 40 dollars is a great deal and value for money . I paid about 100 bucks for both 3DS and PS .

4. To be honest I dont really see much of a gameplay difference . Little brothers S1 Drobot still kicks butt . All your old skylanders get to jump now YAY !! .

5. You do seem more inclined to 3DS version . I suggest you try that first . I played 3DS Swopforce first . I do not think its better or worse nor any characters from older games seem exactly the same to me .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#12 Posted: 23:36:57 04/05/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix
1. I think you will be very very happy with all the exploration and funny challenges . I do think there is less combat .

2. The 3DS version of Swop Force has taken it to a whole new level of gaming fun . Everything has been improved . I usually say it feels more like the console game then a 3DS game. How does it compare ? Well i would say you feel like its a bigger world and you have more freedom . 3DS SSA and Giants felt "cramped' and linear . You also just need to scan in all your toys once and can summon them at will .

3. 40 dollars is a great deal and value for money . I paid about 100 bucks for both 3DS and PS .

4. To be honest I dont really see much of a gameplay difference . Little brothers S1 Drobot still kicks butt . All your old skylanders get to jump now YAY !! .

5. You do seem more inclined to 3DS version . I suggest you try that first . I played 3DS Swopforce first . I do not think its better or worse nor any characters from older games seem exactly the same to me .

*twitch twitch*
#13 Posted: 22:40:36 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Okay, so it arrived last week, and have been playing about a level a day since then, assuming I played that day. I'm now five levels in, and love it!

At first I was skeptical that adding jumping was going to actually add anything to the game, and watching the pre-release stuff did nothing to show off what jumping really adds. Honestly, the most boring level I've played so far is the one they showed off in in pre-release footage (Rampant Ruins). The rest of the levels feel very SSA 3DS-like, which makes sense, since the same company made both.

Elemental zones in particular really surprised me in a good way. I always thought when playing SSA and Giants console versions, "I realize you want the game to be completable for kids, but the elemental zones are optional. Can't make those a little more difficult?" That is exactly what Vicarious Visions did. Some elemental zones are easy, but many of them provide challenges that are Ripto's Rage difficulty (I keep comparing them to that Trolley one when I'm stuck smilie), and Ripto's Rage is my favorite Spyro game for just that reason: it has exactly the right amount of challenge.

The graphics are amazing, as I expected, and there's many small details put in that I really appreciate. I seriously spent a few minutes just bouncing on mushrooms in the hub when I found you could bounce on them, and the flowers making different sounds based on your element, rather than just color was a nice touch.

The Swap Zones I can access with the Starter pack are very fun. I wish the other Swap Force characters weren't so expensive, since I do actually want to play the other zones for more reason than just to 100% the game.

I ended up getting not only Scratch, but also Zoo Lou as far as new characters went. I've used them and Blast Zone in game (Blizzard Chill is my Water character, so not using Wash Buckler for anything but Climb zones), and find that using them is fun.

Coming straight from playing SSA 3DS and having Ignitor have his buddy Flame Form attack enemies as he does so, Zoo Lou felt very natural (pun not intended) to play as. I love sending his wolf out to attack enemies while shooting birds at them from a distance.

Scratch I'm still getting used to, since her laser actually requires you to aim if you want to pounce on enemies (don't know if an upgrade will fix this, but I'll find out I suppose), but otherwise is a very solid character. She feels appropriately strong with her claw attack, too.

Blast Zone is really the most disappointing of the new guys, but it makes sense to have a simple character come in the Starter Pack. It does feel a bit cheap to have him be essentially a better Boomer though, since his bombs arc higher and use the more vertical environment, while Boomer's don't.

As far as the other characters I'm using go:

Chill is difficult to use, but since I got her for this game I don't know if it's a nerf or if she's like this in Giants too. I'm sure as I continue playing, I'll get used to her fighting style, though.

Boomer, as I said above with Blast Zone, feels very similar to the Swap Force character. Similar, but inferior in every way. It's a shame, since the one time I used him in SSA console, he was pretty powerful.

Flashwing feels pretty standard with a ranged and a charge-like attack. I just gave her her third attack, but haven't used her since then, so I can't be sure how useful it is. I haven't used her in game at all before this, so I have nothing to compare to right now.

Cynder is one of the two I'm using that I've used extensively before, and she feels much weaker now. I don't know if it's because I reset her since the last time I've used her in a console game, or if its actual nerfing, but I'm feeling like I need to use her more strategically than before. Not a bad thing, but something that definitely feels different.

And finally, speaking of characters that feel different, is Spyro. He's the only one who has any upgrades, and he has all of them down the Sheep Burner path. While before, his Dark counterpart (who I have down the horns path) felt far superior, even though he didn't have all the heroic challenges applied, basic Spyro now feels much more powerful than he used to. I used to have to circle enemies several times in strategic battles, throwing a flame in whenever I could, but here it's just "flame, flame, you're dead." He almost seems overpowered now, and I wonder if it's the heroic challenge boost, or if he was buffed.

The negatives:

Every. Single. Button. Changed. It was annoying enough when Giants changed opening chests from waggling the Right Analogue Stick to mashing the triangle button, but Swap Force took it way beyond that. Primary attack? Changed to where Secondary used to be. Secondary attack? Changed to where Unlocked attack used to be. Unlocked attack? Changed to where the action button used to be. Action button? Put on a trigger (that I actually don't mind all that much). Opening chests/presents? Now you get a different button depending on which you're opening! (what was the reason for this?)

And the fact that you can't attack while jumping. There's been so many times when an enemy was standing on a ledge where my character's head would reach when it jumped, so I jumped, tried to attack, and ended up getting smacked with an enemy attack instead. You could attack while jumping in SSA 3DS, why not here?

The conclusion:

Before, in both previous games, I always had a small voice in the back of my mind telling me Spyro would never be as good as in the Insomniac days. Games aimed at kids nowadays are just going to be too easy, and no one but Nintendo makes 3D Platformers anymore. As of right now, I believe Swap Force is the Ripto's Rage of Skylanders. It has an entirely different feel compared to the first game (and the first game is still good; it has charms the rest of the series lacks) but it has improved upon it in so many ways. The gameplay is much more varied, and it includes something for many different skill levels. I am very impressed with Swap Force, and hope Vicarious Visions can keep this up in the inevitable Skylanders 5.
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#14 Posted: 22:47:53 27/05/2014
i think they are saving the jump&attack for trap team. must have something new with every game.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#15 Posted: 14:51:52 28/05/2014
I'm glad we were able to help you come to that decision! smilie
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me