Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Why are Skylanders even here? [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#51 Posted: 16:34:10 16/10/2015
Quote: QueenChrysalis
Quote: CAV
I wouldn't take love and tolerance as a worthwhile phrase either since the community that tends to spout it has a history of not being very welcoming to outsiders and also having some serious freak out moments that didn't represent tolerance.

I am sorry, but when I hear buzz terms like "not being very welcoming to outsiders" and "having some serious freak out moments" the only thing that comes to mind is a whole bunch of trolls attacking people for being in a fandom, then said trolls using the fandom's reaction as "proof" that they are a bunch of losers.

Take it from someone who was a brony and still enjoys the show and has seen some of this stuff in action. From my personal experience the fandom hasn't been very loving or tolerating unless they already know you or you agree with everything they say.

Feel free to send a message my way if you really want to discuss this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:24 16/10/2015 by CAV
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10080
#52 Posted: 16:36:54 16/10/2015
Or just see the comments section of any Luna episode on Equestria Daily. Look for the guy saying he prefers Celestia or thinks Do Princess Dream(etc) was rushed, probably with 50 replies or more.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#53 Posted: 16:44:51 16/10/2015
Cuz Spyro's dead and changing the site's domain name is expensive, last I checked. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#54 Posted: 16:47:05 16/10/2015
I need a penny for every time someone tries to shorten the issue as 'Spyro's dead'. Series, not the character, otherwise people like OP will take that and run with it.

Though it still works now, since Dark Spyro is an actual figure. Kinda like GhostRoaster,which is probably the only forum around other than r/skylanders and r/spyro that isn't dead.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:48:57 16/10/2015 by Bifrost
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#55 Posted: 16:54:05 16/10/2015
Why are you being so needlessly negative?
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#56 Posted: 16:55:18 16/10/2015
*Thinks* Well... What put me off the Brony fandom is how they react to the show itself. First they started freaking out over Mare-do-well, an episode that seemed perfectly fine to me. Then they started freaking out over Princess Cadance because she was a new winged-unicorn and apparently winged unicorns that aren't Celestia or Luna are against the rules! (Even in spite of the fact that there are plenty of winged unicorns in earlier generations) Once they started freaking out over Twilight becoming a princess, I'd basically had enough. Flipped them the bird and said I wasn't a pegasister anymore. Because at that point, calling them a FANdom was a bit of a stretch.

Additionally, they harass people for making OCs (Original Characters) that don't fit into THEIR strict rules on what OCs are and aren't allowed to be. Which I think was the biggest killer for me. Especially when I get harassed for making a ponified black man! It looks really bad when bronies go around harassing people for making black pelted OCs, and then you look at all of the other pony OCs, and they're almost ALWAYS Caucasian skin colored.
#57 Posted: 16:58:59 16/10/2015
They also sent death and rape threats to the woman who protested Princess Molestia and got that blog shut down because how dare someone be upset about questionable content like that?
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#58 Posted: 17:00:21 16/10/2015
*Thinks* Well... What put me off the Brony fandom is how they react to the show itself. First they started freaking out over Mare-do-well, an episode that seemed perfectly fine to me. Then they started freaking out over Princess Cadance because she was a new winged-unicorn and apparently winged unicorns that aren't Celestia or Luna are against the rules! (Even in spite of the fact that there are plenty of winged unicorns in earlier generations) Once they started freaking out over Twilight becoming a princess, I'd basically had enough. Flipped them the bird and said I wasn't a pegasister anymore. Because at that point, calling them a FANdom was a bit of a stretch.

Additionally, they harass people for making OCs (Original Characters) that don't fit into THEIR strict rules on what OCs are and aren't allowed to be. Which I think was the biggest killer for me. Especially when I get harassed for making a ponified black man! It looks really bad when bronies go around harassing people for making black pelted OCs, and then you look at all of the other pony OCs, and they're almost ALWAYS Caucasian skin colored.

To be honest, I like MLP, but I can't stand the fandom as a whole. I could never stand it. It's mostly because of "bronies" that I've been really put off on watching episodes lately.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#59 Posted: 17:06:52 16/10/2015
They also sent death and rape threats to the woman who protested Princess Molestia and got that blog shut down because how dare someone be upset about questionable content like that?

Bah! Don't even remind me of that *****! She was as feminazi as they come! Any of these "Death threats" and "Rape threats" etc you hear about are just her being the professional whiner that she is! And "Being upset about questionable content" is complete rubbish! She was attacking the authors of Princess Molestia and Fall of Equestria and gathering followers to attack the authors with her!
#60 Posted: 17:12:00 16/10/2015
No doubt that she was getting people to attack the author and cause trouble, but people did send threats to her and get really angry largely on the basis that they didn't want the blog to go away when not that much of value would really be lost if it did.

I feel like we're derailing though so we can push this to a new thread or speak on GB/PM if you really want.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#61 Posted: 17:23:07 16/10/2015
Quote: Bifrost
I need a penny for every time someone tries to shorten the issue as 'Spyro's dead'. Series, not the character, otherwise people like OP will take that and run with it.

Though it still works now, since Dark Spyro is an actual figure. Kinda like GhostRoaster,which is probably the only forum around other than r/skylanders and r/spyro that isn't dead.

Yeah, I mean he's technically dead as his own, intellectual property. But he's reasonably front and center with the Skylanders IP. *shrug*
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#62 Posted: 17:29:06 16/10/2015
I feel like we're derailing though so we can push this to a new thread or speak on GB/PM if you really want.

I would really rather not make a new thread, or even have a 1 on 1 about Zoe Quinn Brony Edition. I would be forced to do horrible things to myself afterwards...

Quote: HIR
Yeah, I mean he's technically dead as his own, intellectual property. But he's reasonably front and center with the Skylanders IP. *shrug*

Ok. That's a complete lie! He's not even front and center in "Spyro's adventure!"
[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:35:32 16/10/2015 by QueenChrysalis
#63 Posted: 17:36:41 16/10/2015
In the comics he's usually on the average center of the cover smilie
---
#64 Posted: 17:46:30 16/10/2015
I want to read the comics, if only because they're by IDW, and I hear good things from my boyfriend about the IDW Pony comics. (Then again, I hear good things from him about the Generation 1 Pony Comics...)

Being available online (and without having to pirate them!!!) is a huge bonus.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:47:24 16/10/2015 by QueenChrysalis
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#65 Posted: 18:07:59 16/10/2015

I would really rather not make a new thread, or even have a 1 on 1 about Zoe Quinn Brony Edition. I would be forced to do horrible things to myself afterwards...

Quote: HIR

Ok. That's a complete lie! He's not even front and center in "Spyro's adventure!"
[User Posted Image]

He's IN the NAME.
---
words. letters. filler.
#66 Posted: 18:14:56 16/10/2015
I want to read the comics, if only because they're by IDW, and I hear good things from my boyfriend about the IDW Pony comics. (Then again, I hear good things from him about the Generation 1 Pony Comics...)

They're pretty darn short though, I can't remember if the weekly MLP ones are all like that or only Friends Forever though. The art started to get good after either Issue 3 or 5, and the stories are self contained(except for the minicomics, usually prequels to a future arc) but fun regardless. And the Superchargers season is starting on the 28th, so if you want to be up to date there's time to start.
---
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#67 Posted: 18:26:08 16/10/2015
Hey, I like MLP and even I don't make useless posts that belong in 2011

No offence to anyone if I did offend anyone.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6093
#68 Posted: 18:34:07 16/10/2015
If you don't care for Skylanders so much, why did you join? It should've been fairly obvious from the get-go that Skylanders were a large part of the site. Just look at the front page, forum listing, or the header showing all the games.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#69 Posted: 18:39:34 16/10/2015
Why we don't just ban this user?
#70 Posted: 18:41:30 16/10/2015
^They haven't done anything to warrant a ban.
#71 Posted: 18:47:31 16/10/2015
^They haven't done anything to warrant a ban.

Quote: Pinkie the Pie
Tiger Cub
[User Posted Image]
In hand

This was so adorable I came in my pants the second I saw it.

(Only joking, btw)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:47:53 16/10/2015 by QueenChrysalis
#72 Posted: 18:47:38 16/10/2015
You haven't seen this person is on Skylanders topics and keeping them off Topic.
#73 Posted: 18:55:33 16/10/2015
Quote: KeybasHedKey
You haven't seen this person is on Skylanders topics and keeping them off Topic.

What Skylander topics? The only forum that is active on this forum is the Stuff and Nonsense one.
#74 Posted: 18:55:39 16/10/2015
By all means report those so that the Skylanders mods can handle it but I wouldn't say a full on permanent ban is necessary right now.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6253
#75 Posted: 18:56:51 16/10/2015

I think that's too harsh. I've consulted with some other hunters and we've agreed that if she continues, she will recieve a short suspension, I've also issued a warning.
#76 Posted: 19:01:21 16/10/2015
I'm generally interested (That's probably not the right word) now. I said it was ironic for a pegasister to hate on people for liking something she doesn't. But actively going around to harass people on the forum is down-right hypocrisy, at this point.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#77 Posted: 19:18:40 16/10/2015
Just saying I absolutely love the Skylander comics.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#78 Posted: 19:20:44 16/10/2015
She knows that bashing Skylanders and those who like it, especially on Spyro/Skylanders forum, will get her backlash. She even wants some users to back her up on this mess she started.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#79 Posted: 19:22:41 16/10/2015
Maybe she thought that because people in S&N don't usually stray into the Skylanders section that it would be like a few years ago where everybody hated Skylanders and would stay in this section for friends, and so everyone would rally with her.
#80 Posted: 19:24:16 16/10/2015
I don't know where all this is coming from, probably guestbooks, but dear lord someone is seriously thinking it'll work at this day and age.

On the comics, they're amazing, even more with Fico Ossio, the guy that did Light in the Dark and the new artist that did a variant cover. They capture the style so well even in 2d.
---
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#81 Posted: 19:26:26 16/10/2015
She's posted in Skylanders topics just to get hate, and I would actually take this topic sorta seriously if she brought up good points to why.

Quote: RaymanTwilight
Skylanders isn't even a Spyro game. That's like if every Rayman site incorporated Rabbids into everything just because Rayman was playable for like two games. I don't rabidly hate Skylanders like some people but I do find it annoying when it's everywhere on a site about SPYRO.

Wow I'm gonna get hate for this.

Why would every Rayman site incorporate Rabbids? Skylanders is a Spyro game, and is based off the Spyro universe.
#82 Posted: 19:32:34 16/10/2015
Rayman and Rabbids isn't that good of a comparison, as the rabbids overtook the franchise then took off. Maybe like Tingle duology and Zelda - similar character, not the same universe, or a radically altered one.

Yes I'm sorry to remind you guys Rosy Rupeeland exists. But I can't think of any others atm.
---
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#83 Posted: 19:33:38 16/10/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael
She's posted in Skylanders topics just to get hate, and I would actually take this topic sorta seriously if she brought up good points to why.

Quote: RaymanTwilight
Skylanders isn't even a Spyro game. That's like if every Rayman site incorporated Rabbids into everything just because Rayman was playable for like two games. I don't rabidly hate Skylanders like some people but I do find it annoying when it's everywhere on a site about SPYRO.

Wow I'm gonna get hate for this.

Why would every Rayman site incorporate Rabbids? Skylanders is a Spyro game, and is based off the Spyro universe.

Because Rabbids originally started as a spinoff to Rayman as Skylanders did to Spyro!!??

And another example, it's like saying Super Smash Bros. is a Mario game because Mario is playable and is basically the center character. Skylanders is not a Spyro game no matter how much you want it to be.
#84 Posted: 19:35:42 16/10/2015
Skylanders didn't butt their way into the franchise. LoS was over and then it happened. It's a reboot in the loose sense of the word, not just a spinoff, even if it's kinda sorta probably its own franchise.
---
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#85 Posted: 21:23:47 16/10/2015
why are you even on this site, bronies aren't even spyro related!!!!
---
words. letters. filler.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#86 Posted: 21:24:39 16/10/2015
Quote: TacoMakerSkys
why are you even on this site, bronies aren't even spyro related!!!!

This :3
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#87 Posted: 21:45:54 16/10/2015
I feel like I'm reading a topic from 2011 right now. smilie
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:46:31 16/10/2015 by pankakesparx456
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#88 Posted: 21:57:18 16/10/2015
Why is this still a thing
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:00:47 16/10/2015 by AvatariDragon
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#89 Posted: 22:17:23 16/10/2015
If skylanders didn't exist, this site would be dead.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#90 Posted: 22:26:55 16/10/2015
[User Posted Image]
-----------
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#91 Posted: 22:54:01 16/10/2015
^relevant much

close topic please
---
^This might be sarcasm.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#92 Posted: 23:01:46 16/10/2015
Quote: The Bone Chompy
^relevant much

close topic please

Abby the yoshi has blessed us all.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#93 Posted: 23:38:37 16/10/2015
For what it's worth, I was kinda saying "Skylanders absorbed Spyro and that's kinda annoying" for years.

Then I picked up a brand new copy of Skylanders Giants for €9.99 recently, as well as the Series 2 Spyro figure for €14.99 (which I easily could have gotten cheaper, but I wanted a brand new copy as well as the experience of opening a standalone Skylander fresh out of the box).

I've been playing it (just got off a long session of it, I think I'm up to the second last level), and honestly it's a fun game. It definitely isn't worth what it was priced at when it first released (and I still maintain that no Skylanders game is), and it certainly has it's fair share of flaws. And I still like Classic Spyro and LoS games more (except Enter the Dragonfly and A New Beginning, and the GBA Classic Spyro games). But to be honest, Spyro could be doing a lot worse for himself. Skylanders games may not be amazing by any stretch. But they are mostly solid games and at least the quality of the games is fairly consistent. Arguably more so than the original Spyro games (after the original trilogy, Spyro games became very hit and miss and many people can't agree on which ones are good or bad).

Yes I haven't played any other Skylanders games but I know that they are all more or less the same thing up to the recent Superchargers (which is the first real drastic jump forward in the series), just adding more mechanics and toy gimmicks as the games go on. And I know the quality of the games remains consistently good.

As far as the actual OP question goes, that's like asking why Sonic Retro talks about Sonic Boom. Or the Mario & Sonic games. Or why a Zelda fan site would feature Smash Bros. Like it or not, Skylanders is a brand spun off from Spyro. It became bigger than just that later on, but even then, it's still inherently tied to Spyro, and the character (as well as other Spyro characters like Cynder) are still a part of Skylanders now.

I'd still love a new iteration of Spyro where he's the main character, set in either the Classic or LoS universe, or a spiritual combination of both, with characters like Sparx, Hunter, Elora, Cynder, Ignitus, etc, being featured in full force. But I am content with Spyro and Cynder being Skylanders, and I'm just enjoying playing as them in Giants. Also Jet-Vac is basically Sgt. Byrd's long lost cousin so that works for me too. :V
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:43:07 16/10/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#94 Posted: 23:43:01 16/10/2015
I agree completely ^
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#95 Posted: 23:50:07 16/10/2015
I honestly hoped that Jet-Vac was a revamped Sgt. Byrd before his name was revealed.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#96 Posted: 23:57:05 16/10/2015

Most IDW comics are pretty good and I can attest to that. I haven't PERSONALLY read Skylanders, but I've heard its good and Spyro is front and center for it.

I've read some IDW Doctor Who, G1 Transformers, Star Trek, and two Trek crossovers (TOS/Planet of the Apes, 2009/Green Lantern) and they're all pretty good. I've really enjoyed all the stories they've put out.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#97 Posted: 00:02:01 17/10/2015
The first three Rabbids games had Rayman in the name so Rayman fansites had to feature them.

Then from that point, Rayman fans were so used to the Rabbids they pretty much still featured the Rabbids on fansites even though the games have literally nothing to do with Rayman anymore.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#98 Posted: 00:06:33 17/10/2015
Quote: TTD

I think that's too harsh. I've consulted with some other hunters and we've agreed that if she continues, she will recieve a short suspension, I've also issued a warning.

It's making Hateful posts. Yes, this is Stuff and Nonsense. But it should keep in General Topic.
#99 Posted: 00:11:32 17/10/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182
The first three Rabbids games had Rayman in the name so Rayman fansites had to feature them.

Then from that point, Rayman fans were so used to the Rabbids they pretty much still featured the Rabbids on fansites even though the games have literally nothing to do with Rayman anymore.

Err, I'm not sure what Rayman sites you go on, but the ones that I usually go on, Rayman Wiki and Raymanpc, only have Rabbids pages for the first three games because those games had Rayman, and there are no pages for any games other than those three.

But I'm sure there are other Rayman sites, and if they feature all the Rabbids stuff then I apologize for sounding like a moron then.
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me