Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > Fan Fiction > To Every new FanFiction Writer! Please Read!
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
To Every new FanFiction Writer! Please Read! [STICKY]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#51 Posted: 20:40:36 31/05/2014
I'm still bothered about that decent thing can you just change it to successful?
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#52 Posted: 06:21:54 01/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: wreckingballbob
I'm still bothered about that decent thing can you just change it to successful?

Excuse me?
SpyroinDraenor Blue Sparx Gems: 771
#53 Posted: 06:50:13 01/06/2014
Grats on the STICKY. BTW this helped when I started writing my own fanfic, thanks
#54 Posted: 06:53:13 01/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: SpyroinDraenor
Grats on the STICKY. BTW this helped when I started writing my own fanfic, thanks

You're welcome, and glad it helped you!
#55 Posted: 11:54:10 01/06/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11

Excuse me?

On the first post.

In a Roleplay based Fanfic [Smile-Based]
There are people who do this alot, and have fun with it, two DECENT Fanfics like these, and successfull are Wreckingbalbob's Stories and Le Skylanders Stories from Zapnorris.

Can you remove the bolded part?
---
#56 Posted: 12:43:10 01/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Dude, they are decent. I'm not going to advertise here.
#57 Posted: 17:16:21 01/06/2014
Dude, they are decent. I'm not going to advertise here.

It's not advertising if you just give examples!

When you say decent your saying their okay and aren't that good.

Can't you just give the examples without commenting your personal opinion?
---
#58 Posted: 17:19:58 01/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Ok. You're right. See if it fits in the character limit.

Edit: Better?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:21:45 01/06/2014 by NINJAsk11
#59 Posted: 17:23:36 01/06/2014
Ok. You're right. See if it fits in the character limit.

Edit: Better?

Yeah...
---
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#60 Posted: 22:19:48 01/06/2014
I find it stupid that after a chapter is no one posts about it they ask if anyone will read. Instead of waiting for readers they should just carry on doing chapters rather than waiting for an audience.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my fanfic right now. It's why you won't see many responses to my work thus far.
#61 Posted: 06:46:45 15/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: LocoGuy107
I find it stupid that after a chapter is no one posts about it they ask if anyone will read. Instead of waiting for readers they should just carry on doing chapters rather than waiting for an audience.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my fanfic right now. It's why you won't see many responses to my work thus far.

You COULD raise awareness by using your signature and GuestBook though.
FuryBeam136 Gold Sparx Gems: 2203
#62 Posted: 02:02:40 24/07/2014
Your chatting away about PROPER GRAMMAR when you spell grammar grammer. CHANGE THAT PLEASE!
---
28 STAB WOUNDS!
Why am I a loser
#63 Posted: 07:03:13 24/07/2014 | Topic Creator
^My response is as follow:

Quote: ProphetFlareon
I don't know if you did this on purpose to be sarcastic but grammer is spelled grammar and you spelled when wrong in the Spelling and Grammar section :3

Yes, that was on purpose, now you see how annoyed you are smilie
#64 Posted: 14:00:28 18/08/2014
Oh. That makes sense.
---
28 STAB WOUNDS!
Why am I a loser
#65 Posted: 15:18:55 18/08/2014 | Topic Creator
It makes perfect sense!
#66 Posted: 15:59:11 24/08/2014
But see my signature:

What fun is there in making sense?
---
28 STAB WOUNDS!
Why am I a loser
DimitriDM Ripto Gems: 587
#67 Posted: 06:48:41 31/08/2014
Character Sheet - Advanced A friend showed me this. It can be used for fan fiction writers to describe the characters in a very detailed resolution. As you can be specific about a large number of perspectives of a character, which you can link from within your story.
#68 Posted: 06:51:09 31/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Tips against Auther Block:

Advise 1: Don't write too much!
Writing story after story after stroy will soon leave you with blank spots in your mind. You're out of ideas and that's because you've kept on "Spawning" new stories. My Advise? Write one story at once. That way you can focus on one story and you can keep track of what you're writing. If you write two stories. You can mix things up and it only gets worse the more stories you write.

Advise 2: Don't steal too much!
You can get all your ideas from movies, otther stories and so on, but soon, you realise how good these Ideas are and you can't think of any better ideas. Sure there are better ones but you're practickly left in the feel of being jealous. Being Jealous makes you less motivated to go on with your story.

Advise 3: Don't close too soon!
I see it happen alot: Side Story or Spinn off Stories that get closed even though they've not even reached page two! To be honest, it drives me NUTS! The entire section looks like a mess-up here! Look for yourself and count the closed topics from the LAST TWO MONTHS and you see what I mean. All these users who closed thier topics start not-worked-out-ideas nd soon get stuck on the road with no idea to continue.

Last Advise: Think before you start!
To make my Advise 3 clear. If you start a story, think about the plot clearly, and think a few paragraphs forth. If you just made Chapter 1 for example, think already of chapter 3, 4, 5 etc. If you think of that you can write these ideas down and use them for later. Or, if you are about to start, think of what you want to do. If you start to early you'll end up with a closed topic.

Characters:

Quote: DimitriDM
Character roles should be described before goign too deep into the story.THis will otherwise confuse a lot of readers,
This can demotivate their enjoyment for reading.
Always keep ideas of situations you would like to apply into your story, should be kept in either your mind, or on a piece of paper.

^Thank you kindly!

Fandom Character(FC):
Fandom Chacaters (FC for short) is a Fan-Made Character that fits within a manga/Anime/TVshow/etc serie. For example, a Fakemon(A Fan-Made Pokemon) Is an FC. A OC Pony is a FC in the My Little Pony Franchise. Lets use My(Requested) FC Lost. Torch(My Avatar)
It's a Pony FC. A character that fits within the Lines of the MLP Franchise.

Many people mistake a Fan-Made Skylander for an OC... And what is an OC you ask?

Original Character(OC):
Original Character (OC for short) is a Character that does not fit within a Fandom/Anime/Manga etc. They live in thier own world, have no connections to another Fandom and so on. My Character Azelea Valor is one of the many Examples around this site and world. Azelea is based upon NOTTHING but my mind. I have not been inspired by another fandom or so And I've used my own imaginasion. So there.

If you see me flip out because you said "Meet my Skylander OC" you now understand why. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:06:38 31/08/2014 by NINJAsk11
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#69 Posted: 00:40:53 01/09/2014
Quote:
Please use PROPER GRAMMER and SPELLING!

... The irony... smilie
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#70 Posted: 00:45:06 01/09/2014
i think that shelves getting a sticky was horrible idea.
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#71 Posted: 00:46:42 01/09/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

Funny, you were on board two hours ago.
---
A story.
#72 Posted: 05:39:11 01/09/2014 | Topic Creator

I disagree
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#73 Posted: 06:27:12 01/09/2014

Obviously jealous.
#74 Posted: 14:28:13 01/09/2014
I'm okay with someone being jealous, but they don't have to PM some crazy rant.
That's what Zap did. This is what it said:

i realized my true emotions

I was on top of the world
it was right in my pocket
I was living the life
things were just the way they should be
When from out of the sky like a bomb comes some little punk in a rocket
now all of a sudden some strange things are happening to me
I had friends,
I had lots of friends
Now all my friends are gone
And I'm doing the best I can to carry on
I had power
I was respected
But not any more
And I've lost the love to the one whom I adored

how i feel so much.... it's a good story and all, but i miss the days everyone looked up to me... and when i tried to get it back, i flopped... maybe i should hate you... maybe i shouldn't.... it just feels sad. you're making me..... jealous. if this is a toy story, maybe you're buzz and i'm woody... and this is the part where i get knocked off the bed.

maybe i'm overreacting. maybe i'm not.

He shouldn't be jealous. I have a great story, and he had some that had potential. But, he wasted that potential in certain stories, trying to beat mine. Stop trying to make some story that will beat Shelves, and make a story because you want to do it. I don't want to be the reason that there are some many stories that are like Shelves, written by you. Just write because you want to write.
---
A story.
#75 Posted: 14:43:25 01/09/2014
Quote: uttster13
I'm okay with someone being jealous, but they don't have to PM some crazy rant.
That's what Zap did. This is what it said:

i realized my true emotions

I was on top of the world
it was right in my pocket
I was living the life
things were just the way they should be
When from out of the sky like a bomb comes some little punk in a rocket
now all of a sudden some strange things are happening to me
I had friends,
I had lots of friends
Now all my friends are gone
And I'm doing the best I can to carry on
I had power
I was respected
But not any more
And I've lost the love to the one whom I adored

how i feel so much.... it's a good story and all, but i miss the days everyone looked up to me... and when i tried to get it back, i flopped... maybe i should hate you... maybe i shouldn't.... it just feels sad. you're making me..... jealous. if this is a toy story, maybe you're buzz and i'm woody... and this is the part where i get knocked off the bed.

maybe i'm overreacting. maybe i'm not.

He shouldn't be jealous. I have a great story, and he had some that had potential. But, he wasted that potential in certain stories, trying to beat mine. Stop trying to make some story that will beat Shelves, and make a story because you want to do it. I don't want to be the reason that there are some many stories that are like Shelves, written by you. Just write because you want to write.

i do it half and half. half because i want to do it, and half because i want to be up on the ranks of you and fryno forever.
#76 Posted: 14:46:22 01/09/2014
If you put a hundred percent into it a story, and let it grow, it'll reach us. I don't do Shelves because I want to continually beat down other stories, I just to it for the thrill of making a world to call my own, and to have people who like to read it. Writing is about the ride it takes you on.
---
A story.
#77 Posted: 14:47:41 01/09/2014
you're right, as always.
#78 Posted: 15:10:28 01/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Can I please ask you two to take the discussion to a Private confersation? This topic is pure only to ask questions/to get answered and the subject is Fan-Fiction.

As for being on the top.... Y U LEAVING ME OUT!? smilie JK
Eternal Sunfury Blue Sparx Gems: 664
#79 Posted: 07:59:15 31/12/2014
Hey do you have any tips on how to advertise your story without spamming and pissing people off besides Signature and Guestbook, coz I'm doing those but if I still have any readers, they're not posting and I'm unaware of them.
---
Remember before when I was talking about smelly garbage standing around being useless? That was a metaphor. I was actually talking about you.
TheBladesFan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1485
#80 Posted: 23:43:41 03/01/2015
I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer them:

1) Same as the person who posted above.

2) Is having quite a lot of posts at the beginning ok? For example, my fanfic called Mags' Struggle is to do with Sunscraper Spire. In the first post I say how it contains spoilers for this level and that they should leave if they haven't played it and how it's my first fanfic. In the second, I post what exactly the story is based on/inspired by. In the third I post the first chapter and the final one is asking people what they think. Is it too many? I do need to edit the first post to say about how some parts of the story could upset certain people.

3) Please could you read my fanfic? The link is in my signature or you can find it by using the name in point two.

Thank you.
---
bookloverlolly.tumblr.com
Skylander Count: SSA 52/54 SG 61/66 SSF ??/?? STT ??/?? SSC 51/65 SI 6/??
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#81 Posted: 23:59:16 27/01/2015
What does it mean if a topic is sticky.
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
Medicus Gold Sparx Gems: 2405
#82 Posted: 00:05:09 28/01/2015
Quote: drobot007
What does it mean if a topic is sticky.

When a topic has a sticky it means it stays at the top of the forum list.
Example: If you go into the Fan Fiction section of the forum, this topic and one other topic(Shelves) will always be at the top of the topics list no matter how long ago someone post.

Hope this helped.
---
Hello There, Old Friends!
#83 Posted: 09:52:03 01/02/2015
No topic should even have a sticky but this one.
---
#84 Posted: 23:21:30 31/03/2015
Agreed.^
---
28 STAB WOUNDS!
Why am I a loser
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#85 Posted: 18:11:25 11/04/2015
Hah, it's still a sticky I see...
I agree with FuryBeam and WBB. Shelves getting a sticky honestly seems like it's bragging against the other fanfictions on here. As if it's "Superior" above all the other fanfics. LIke, not to be rude towards Uttser(who I believe left) but....yeah....
#86 Posted: 14:47:55 28/04/2015
Well, I'm not NINJAsk11 anymore. So I'm forced to make a new post with some more stuff. I can't edit my first post linking to this one so it's by luck you'll find this. If not... Then... I don't know.

Buggers in Fanfictions:
Posts that are inapropiate, unwanted or just out of the question should be simply ignored and reported to a moderator. Don't react, it'll cause flamewars or people blocking each other for no appearant reason. I myself have not expereinced any of these "Buggers" as I like to call them.

If you report any of these posts, give a reason for your report. Here are a few examples.
-User makes fun of my fanfiction.
-user trolls for no reason
-User tries to force me to write/add cartain things in my fanfiction
-User is posting sexual content in my fanfiction
-User is posting unrelative content in my fanfiction
-Or chose any of the already excisting report reasons.
-[if any of you have more. please tell me.]

If reporting doesn't solve it, please talk to a moderator within the Fanfiction section.

It's the writers story, not the audience's
If you're a reader, you're not allowed to tell the writer what they're supposed to do.
-Don't start to plea for something.
-You can ask for something to be added but if the writers say no then stop. If you continue the topic will gain unneccesery posts and eventually an entire conversation/discussion about one question.
-If you want to continue the discussion take it to PM.

However, writers may sometimes be confused on what to do or write. then it may be a smart idea to DO ask what your audience wants. Basically, the writer gives the audience permission to state thier opinion. This can be done in various ways.
-Asking wht the audience wants
-doing a poll within your story topic
-or go around sending pm messeges if you want to evoid off topic posts.

Again, still apply to the earlier rules if things get out of hand or the writer closes the poll/asks you to stop stating your opinion.

It may be against everything I said above.

In the end, it's the writer that decides the final blow. If the writer has decided there is no need in asking anymore. If you do, it's practically Spam.
-I'll edit more as it comes. if anyone has tips/stuff I can add in this subject or an entirely other subject. please note me-
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 10:04:24 12/05/2015 by BlackWing116
#87 Posted: 11:16:19 10/06/2015
Double Post much:

Quote: TheBladesFan
I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer them:

1) Same as the person who posted above.

2) Is having quite a lot of posts at the beginning ok? For example, my fanfic called Mags' Struggle is to do with Sunscraper Spire. In the first post I say how it contains spoilers for this level and that they should leave if they haven't played it and how it's my first fanfic. In the second, I post what exactly the story is based on/inspired by. In the third I post the first chapter and the final one is asking people what they think. Is it too many? I do need to edit the first post to say about how some parts of the story could upset certain people.

3) Please could you read my fanfic? The link is in my signature or you can find it by using the name in point two.

Thank you.

I never answered if I'm correct. I'll do it now

1- Well... I am not sure where this'll go. I am not sure if the situation still applies or not. If not, then you can ignore it. If it stilll applies. Perhaps you can try to ask people on thier guestbooks if they're interested in reading something and then - if they want- send them a pm with the link. Obviously don't go overboard with this but if you realy have no attension you could try "advertising" in a small way. Not sure how to explain what I mean...

2- No, absolutely not! In my opinion, it looks like you've put more work into it. Instead of stuffing everything in one post like a stuffed animal.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#88 Posted: 17:47:49 01/07/2015
Just a quick question: Say you did a spoof on a non-Spyro fandom with users on darkSpyro. Would it be here or Non-Spyro?
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#89 Posted: 17:52:35 01/07/2015
Quote: StormDragon21
Just a quick question: Say you did a spoof on a non-Spyro fandom with users on darkSpyro. Would it be here or Non-Spyro?

Well, if there are DarkSpyro users into the fanfiction, I'd suggest doing it in Fan Fiction anyways. DarkSpyro.net//Spyro//Skylanders Related stuff goes in here soo...
Alydol Ripto Gems: 1330
#90 Posted: 19:36:42 21/07/2015
All of my stories are said to be stupid smilie
Alydol Ripto Gems: 1330
#91 Posted: 19:41:50 21/07/2015
Everyone hates my stories what should I do?
#92 Posted: 10:47:06 22/07/2015
Don't overreact and learn from other stories instead of making a big problem out of it. There isn't a help topic for notthing. I suggest looking at other FanFictions that have been written and perhaps learn from those.

Edit: Also, please do not double post.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:50:54 22/07/2015 by BlackWing116
#93 Posted: 16:52:28 02/08/2015
I'm considering asking a hunter to put links in the OP that will lead to the help posts I've made on page two....
Anyways! Onward!

Constructive Criticism
I have talked about this point before. I'm just going to do it again because the forest god has asked me to. Anyways, jokes aside.
Constructive Criticism is something I in my opinion see rarely. I don't know why this is but people that do give Constructive Criticism do it in such a way that it might even teach Fan Fiction writers about their writing flaws and such things alike. A few things are here as follow:

Are you a Writer that recieves Constructive Criticism?
Yes? You're lucky! Make good use out of it. You'll defenetly need it to improve your skills as a writer.

There is also NO need to assult/act rude towards the one that has given you the criticism. It's absolutely unwanted. The person that gave you the Constructive Criticism only wants to help you inprove your skills.

Another thing to mention. If you don't agree with the Constructive Criticism that is given, ask the person that has given the Criticism what thier reasoning is. There is absolutely no use in calling the Criticism "Unfair" or "Totally bull****". Again, the Constructive Criticism is meant to help you. It should not serve as a startline of a scuffle or intense fight.

Are you a person that wants to give Constructive Criticism?
Don't make crappy comments such as "It's crap this is stupid bad fanfic BOO!". It's extremely rude to do that. Realize that the person who wrote the fanfiction has put time and effort into it.

Be descripte with your Criticism and elaborate your reasons for calling the fanfic either bad or good. Use as much details and reasonings as possible. Point all the flaws out if you realy want to. Nobody is going to fight with you for it nor should a fight even break out. Though, don't only point out flaws. Try to say something positive too. If you realy can't find something positive, be honest. The writer should (again) take it as help, and not as a shot fired straight in the bullseye.

Rating:
If you rate, give a reason for your rating. be descriptieve.

Public Rating:
If you see me rating a Fanfiction in public, I will now give my reasons for why I do this in public, and not through PM.
The reason is simple. Other readers will come by the Rating and can so agree or disagree and/or base their ratings upon a earlier rating. If a story is rated through PM, the Writer can't have much use on it because none-otther is able to see it. So, raters, don't be afraid to do it in public. On the end, Rating is just the same as Criticism.
Please go here if you want to see rates/help rating.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:47:10 11/08/2015 by BlackWing116
#94 Posted: 16:39:55 14/12/2015
Inactive?
Are you a user that has turned heavely inactive or are you considering leaving this site completely leaving everyone behiend you? What if you're a person who has outgrown Skylanders or Spyro? To be fairly honest, I don't know how I should deal with it myself, but I'm sure everyone can get to their own solution. I've seen things like this happen now and then. MIght as well kick them down as an example because I might as well write over my temper tantrums (again)

Shelves (Original by Uttser)
A story over 20 pages long (perhaps 30 idk) but at a moment, the original author gave up on it and moved on with something else. Uttser asked two respectieve users to continue the story for him while holding contact with the two writers of the story. This is something you could consider if you don't mind your friends having other means to contact you, either that be mail, Facebook or phone. Its up to you realy.

Return After Fire (Original in the Non-Spyro Board, Original by NINJAsk11/BlackWing116)
This is a example coming from my own experiences. I was done getting myself hooked in Copy/Creepy pastas. The fact that I knew well enough that my obsession was going overboard got me to stop writing the story. I attempted a sequel, but rushed up at the end and then closed the topic. Feel the same like me (Overgrown something or just want to stop)? Don't rush up like I did. Instead, either leave your story like that as a cliffhanger or close your topic. Or do both, either works fine.

Leaving DarkSpyro?
Honestly, again, the choise is up to yourself, but I honestly would just close any topic belongign to myself. You aren't coming back to check upon the topics whatsoever so why keep them open? Unless you know other people find amusement withint the topic (Like in Forum Games), don't close it.

The reason I write this but can't realy clearly explain what you should do?

It's mainly I'm within this dilemma myself. I have no idea what I should do with any topic belongign to me. I attempted to write this in hopes to find out what I should do
But, in all honesty, I have no ****ing idea
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7341
#95 Posted: 21:35:30 06/03/2016
I know that this topic is kinda just there but a minor tip I have is if you aren't sure you will have time to create parts of your fan-fiction or will be able to hit targets on it along with not being too sure on being able to make it as good quality as you can, write everything in advance.

If you write everything in advance you can tailor it to your liking and make it as good as you can manage along with not having to worry about hitting targets for releasing a chapter or post, letting you keep the quality high. If there is a part of your fan fiction that people don't like you can also tailor it in later parts without much hassle as you already have them written.
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
#96 Posted: 13:26:39 08/06/2016
Yes, Gill Grunt, well said.

I am not sure if I should do a post about Audience. I notice many people are having trouble getting an audience on their story on this forum, but I'm not aiming to make this place an even bigger wasteland by sending them to otther sites. (Such as Quotev or FanFiction.net)

Anyone got ideas?
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#97 Posted: 18:48:25 20/10/2016
hey i'm thinking on doin a fan fiction so just to be clear.
i can add my own protagonist? like i'm adding a kid that find himself in in the role of the new portal master after eon?
or change some element like make spyro a soon to be skylander, and make that all of the first game skylanders (Except spyro that was the only one that was banished to earth, and became to a skylanders by my protagonist) were became to skylanders after the destroction of the core and were tuernd to skyaldners by my protagonist?.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#98 Posted: 07:37:09 23/11/2016
A protagonist in the form of an OC? There's no such problem with that. You can even end up putting Bowser or another character from a franchise in in my opinion. Ever since Crossovers are a thing within the Skylanders universe I see no issues with putting said crossovers here in this section.

The ideas you said are in no way a problem.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:37:31 23/11/2016 by BlackWing116
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me