First | Previous | Page 7 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Skylanders 4 is a 'Game-Changer'
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#301 Posted: 21:34:04 21/04/2014
What GhostRoaster said.

I liked that some characters could get to bits others couldn't and it made much more sense than the "elemental gates" that were basically just announcements that you needed to spend more money on characters.

I've said it before, the whole "gates" and "zones" thing annoys me a bit and ruins the flow of the game.
Rattlebuckler Gold Sparx Gems: 2298
#302 Posted: 16:45:09 22/04/2014
for once i agree
---
We’re 106 miles from Chicago we got a full tank of gas a half a pack of cigarettes it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses hit it -blues brothers
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#303 Posted: 17:04:29 22/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
What GhostRoaster said.

I liked that some characters could get to bits others couldn't and it made much more sense than the "elemental gates" that were basically just announcements that you needed to spend more money on characters.

I've said it before, the whole "gates" and "zones" thing annoys me a bit and ruins the flow of the game.

And there were quite many places done like this in Giants...unannounced "gates" if you will...what I'd like to see is more gameplay mechanics that depend on character capabilities AS WELL AS ELEMENTAL to mix up the problem solving. With as many characters as they have now, this could really get interesting/fun (or frustrating) depending on how innovative the player is.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#304 Posted: 17:49:05 22/04/2014
Apparently it's embargoed until tomorrow at 7PM EST.
#305 Posted: 17:57:58 22/04/2014
Interesting...was the leak to gauge interest?

Andy talks about it here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/an...r-skylanders-4/
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#306 Posted: 18:02:30 22/04/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

You sure about that? The actual event is at 4pm EST. Sure it wasn't 7pm BST? It would kind of make sense to tell the British press the time of the embargo in their own time zone. That would only be a few hours before the event, and would kind of suit the pattern they've been going for the past 2 years.
#307 Posted: 18:07:10 22/04/2014
Quote: bionicle2809

You sure about that? The actual event is at 4pm EST. Sure it wasn't 7pm BST? It would kind of make sense to tell the British press the time of the embargo in their own time zone. That would only be a few hours before the event, and would kind of suit the pattern they've been going for the past 2 years.

dark orignally posted that.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#308 Posted: 18:07:55 22/04/2014
Oh, okay. Must've missed that...
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#309 Posted: 22:49:25 22/04/2014
If it's like last year ppl on line waiting for doomstone will be talking about it while waiting in line because the info hit will waiting for ninjini last yr.

Anyways im heading to the city at 1 tomorrow with family smilie
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#310 Posted: 00:15:23 11/07/2014
Revisiting this line from Activision from February is pretty funny....Game Changer??? I think not

John Coyne, senior vice president of consumer marketing at Activision, recently told BT that “everyone’s going to have to wait a couple more months for more details.” He also teased, “I can tell you that it’s pretty exciting – it’s a game-changer”.

Read more at http://nintendoeverything.com/...uple-of-months/
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
#311 Posted: 00:18:24 11/07/2014
this isn't a game changer.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#312 Posted: 00:31:06 11/07/2014
Its a game changer.... just in a negative way.
#313 Posted: 00:34:17 11/07/2014
my interest for this game is slowly dying
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#314 Posted: 00:58:10 11/07/2014
The lck of info is killing the franchise
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#315 Posted: 10:48:49 11/07/2014
this is the start of the end for the skylanders game franchise . skylanders = guitar hero... soon.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#316 Posted: 13:38:17 11/07/2014

Quote: GothamLord

Quote: Snap Shot

For me it's not just the lack of info--I love suspense. But it's on the flip side of a poorly presented idea (that continues to evolve and change which doesn't present strength and confidence at this stage of development) that not even their YouTube minions could present clearly. It's the mis-information, and seeing they're just coming up with more "things" and "toys" for us to buy but keeping the game format strictly the same from one game to the next. Also, and this is huge: the gimmick doesn't feel right for me. Sorry, but the idea of swapping was way more cooler to me than a speaker in a portal and a plastic trap.

I'm of the opinion they should've minimized their stress on the toys and made better video game play.

Quote: CountMoneyBone
this is the start of the end for the skylanders game franchise . skylanders = guitar hero... soon.

Doubtful, but I think better days were definitely in the rear view mirror. I tend to think Giants will be their biggest peak of this franchise if they continue on the current trajectory.
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 13:47:59 11/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#317 Posted: 14:30:58 11/07/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

Quote: GothamLord

Quote: Snap Shot

For me it's not just the lack of info--I love suspense. But it's on the flip side of a poorly presented idea (that continues to evolve and change which doesn't present strength and confidence at this stage of development) that not even their YouTube minions could present clearly. It's the mis-information, and seeing they're just coming up with more "things" and "toys" for us to buy but keeping the game format strictly the same from one game to the next. Also, and this is huge: the gimmick doesn't feel right for me. Sorry, but the idea of swapping was way more cooler to me than a speaker in a portal and a plastic trap.

I'm of the opinion they should've minimized their stress on the toys and made better video game play.

Quote: CountMoneyBone

Doubtful, but I think better days were definitely in the rear view mirror. I tend to think Giants will be their biggest peak of this franchise if they continue on the current trajectory.

I agree with your point about there being way too many toys. However, at the same time, I disagree with your logic on the overall video game. I think Skylanders is so popular because of the toys. It is the main mechanic of the game. What would Skylanders be without the toys? Probably another linear story mode with a handful of characters. The characters are what has given me the most gameplay, not the campaign. In my opinion, there are too many games out there like that. I've played my fair share of those games. Even though Skylanders is on game four, it still feels new to me. I won't comment on the gimmick because I have yet to play the game yet. I find it difficult to praise Trap Team or bash Trap Team merely on speculation. We barely know anything about the game. That is a difficult pill to swallow, that we don't know everything about the game yet. Probably because we are so used to being spoon fed. But the suspense is grand... there is a term called delayed gratification. It is something many of us could use a little more of. Look it up!
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
#318 Posted: 14:54:04 11/07/2014
Calling the concern that many are feeling for the game, a need for them to get "delayed gratification" is a bit of a elitist condescending tone. Its a game franchise that's expecting people to spend hundreds of dollars. There is a justification for wanting more information. We had one of the biggest gaming expos with E3. And got a load of "We can't comment" responses. Its not a matter of just being held in suspense. Its a combination of the lack of information and the information that we have been given, being lack luster and disappointing. Its lack of advertising to build interest in the game and cross marketing that the franchise needs to start establishing to continue to lead the market on this type of game. Competition is coming and its pulling out its big guns.

If we want to throw around terms, there are terms called - "Dropping the ball" , "Shooting yourself in the foot". Activision is looking to be doing these things. I want to be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I've seen Activision screw up before though. The way they approach the games and handle the franchise needs to get fixed soon, or its all going to be a moot point. It'll limp along for another couple games, there will be a tight core fanbase that tries to stick around, but otherwise it'll run its course. Activision will have made their couple billion on things, kill it without much notice, and move on to the next gaming fad.
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#319 Posted: 15:42:34 11/07/2014
Gotham, I assure you that I was not trying to be condescending in tone. I include myself in such terms as "we" and "us." I don't want you to think that I'm being a butthole. I see your points and your arguments. I myself though, am not ready to throw out the assumption that Skylanders is on the decline, or that Trap Master is the beginning of the end. I am definitely not at the point of saying Infinity is better or vice versa. The games arent even out yet, and many seem to be basing their decisions on the lack of information.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
#320 Posted: 16:11:46 11/07/2014
I don't think you are trying to be, I am just saying how that phrasing can come across. So, no ill will intended.

As for the info again. If it was just a lack of information it'd be one thing. Its the fact what little we have..... well... sucks. No news is good news. If we didnt even have the information on the whole 30 seconds debacle with the villains we'd probably all be wine and roses. We'd be grumbling about being in the dark, but we'd have a more positive attitude about it.
#321 Posted: 16:13:04 11/07/2014
Quote: lcopley98
I agree with your point about there being way too many toys. However, at the same time, I disagree with your logic on the overall video game. I think Skylanders is so popular because of the toys. It is the main mechanic of the game. What would Skylanders be without the toys? Probably another linear story mode with a handful of characters. The characters are what has given me the most gameplay, not the campaign. In my opinion, there are too many games out there like that. I've played my fair share of those games. Even though Skylanders is on game four, it still feels new to me. I won't comment on the gimmick because I have yet to play the game yet. I find it difficult to praise Trap Team or bash Trap Team merely on speculation. We barely know anything about the game. That is a difficult pill to swallow, that we don't know everything about the game yet. Probably because we are so used to being spoon fed. But the suspense is grand... there is a term called delayed gratification. It is something many of us could use a little more of. Look it up!

The game is NOT just about the characters. AoA and BitFrost want a very engaging and believable story that is in line with the canon for example. I want us to move beyond the linear story approach. The point I'm making is that if they stress too much on the toy side and ignore the game side they're going to hit bottom sooner. My .02 and I'm sure is a position not shared with Activision and probably most people here. Great, we have a divergence of opinion. We both have this venue to state it.

Btw, as I indicated, my concerns are not with not having information...it's the bungled mess of information AND the lack of it that as to why I am concerned. I'm not a zit filled teenager who can't be patient.

I don't think anyone here for the most part (even the alarmists like myself) WANT Skylanders to decline. I'd rather not waste my time hating on something...in fact any concerns I bring is because I want this franchise to succeed. It's a site where people talk (both good and bad) and express opinions and concerns. As long as people bring their big boy pants and act maturely there shouldn't be any problems. However, there's a risk both to having an "Armageddon" approach and having "all is rainbows" approach. Being centered and bringing both the good and bad work best. I try my best to do that, and if I sound out of line, then bring the points and we'll move on.

On being spoon fed: I agree with the fact that in today's "Information Age" people expect movie scripts and plots to be known a year in advance of the release, game information to be released months ahead, etc. However, certain information customers want are deal breakers without it (their statement of future support of traps is something I'm not going to let go--I care not what the verdict is--just state it). I don't care if they show another skylander before release--that to me is superficial information. In general, you can also see EXTREME differences in how they handled Swap Force vs. Trap Team...it's glaring and a worthy conversation (if not to pass time by).
---
Edited 12 times - Last edited at 16:46:05 11/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#322 Posted: 19:02:27 11/07/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

The game is NOT just about the characters. AoA and BitFrost want a very engaging and believable story that is in line with the canon for example. I want us to move beyond the linear story approach. The point I'm making is that if they stress too much on the toy side and ignore the game side they're going to hit bottom sooner. My .02 and I'm sure is a position not shared with Activision and probably most people here. Great, we have a divergence of opinion. We both have this venue to state it.

Honestly, I don't even think it's that much, just more content. You can't build levels, so the already imbalanced toy to game ratio is just growing with each entry. SSA was fine, 10 levels with 32 figures, you could get to level 10 just by playing the last level...well almost 10. Giants upped it, if you got JUST the Giants figures - no variants - it was 40 characters to lvl 15. A stretch, but with things like heroics, it wasn't a chore.

Then they gave us Swap Force with 51 characters if I just counted correctly - that can go to lvl TWENTY.

The game length didn't grow., just the level length - where each level played like 2-3 levels.

Since they haven't advertised it, its a safe assumption that we are going to get about the same amount of levels/content, at the same time, we are getting even MORE figures. I don't know about the levels. Either way, its simply too large of a toy to game ratio.

Sure some of the other stuff would be great to have at times, but I admit I got into it in part because it WAS simple. I just can't buy them all, I might even just buy the starter set and use my old figures for this one.
- Unreall
#323 Posted: 19:13:43 11/07/2014
I'm not pushing for complexity...VV listened to those balking about "length" and I think we can all say LEVEL LENGTH really isn't what we wanted; we wanted level VARIETY that can materially contribute to a more richer experience for those that don't want Skyrim epic content. I think the length of SSA is fine on it its own two feet but I personally would like to see nuggets to enrich and encourage further playthroughs beyond nightmare mode and a hat.

For example: certain degree of terrain and enemy randomness....introduce hidden areas on secondary playthroughs...slightly alternate pathing....anything. Anything but a literal replay of the exact same thing.

I agree with you that the content to toy ratio is off. But it's always been off. And it's getting worse. Again, I'm not of any belief that they are going to "do" anything about it, but they have to know it will eventually discourage the "core" from continuing to pour money into the toys. Which is why they're working so hard to integrate the new toys into the new game experience to "help us" make a decision to continue down the purchase track. the only difference this time is that I feel the trap gimmick is a "one and out" thing, and I personally don't want to ever send them the message that it's "ok" to do this on a yearly basis.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:19:37 11/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#324 Posted: 19:18:36 11/07/2014
Spin-off games. They need to keep the core franchise the same Diablo Jr.-esque platformer it's been, but they need to create other games for us to use the figures on.

I still think they need to do a downloadable game that's a 8-bit-esque side-scrolling platformer where each figure unlocks a new level. smilie
#325 Posted: 19:23:09 11/07/2014
Quote: UncleBob
Spin-off games. They need to keep the core franchise the same Diablo Jr.-esque platformer it's been, but they need to create other games for us to use the figures on.

I still think they need to do a downloadable game that's a 8-bit-esque side-scrolling platformer where each figure unlocks a new level. smilie

Heroics was a light way to do that, but I agree that finding other ways of exploring our figures in other games/adventures may not be a bad thing, but I think they realize it would keep their eyes off the prize and quality may suffer even further. I would be ok with new levels, etc as for fee DLC (without the DL hehe) content to the existing game would be even better, and extend their lifespan to the game to 18/24 months each. -OR- reduce the figures to match the content. I think they are set in their ways at making the Adventure Packs the DLC in the series, though.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:26:03 11/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#326 Posted: 12:53:32 14/07/2014
Quote: UncleBob

I've been saying this for a while. Use the existing toys and portal to have XBLA games and PSN games like a racer (since Megablocks did the cars already). Turn Skystones into a standalone game based on figures. There ARE options out there, and I think they could polish up some quick games that integrate with the portal.
- Unreall
First | Previous | Page 7 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me