darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > New York Toy Fair, Skylanders 4: Your Ideas?
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3
New York Toy Fair, Skylanders 4: Your Ideas?
TheLurk Blue Sparx Gems: 533
#101 Posted: 09:24:03 07/02/2014
Quote: sky-dragon
they should at least add something speacial for the sidekicks to do like a sidekick zone were you collect these gems and attack bad guys or something speacial for them at least

^This! I like this! Problem is, the Sidekicks show up as items in the games so far. I don't know how much of that is internal to the figs themselves though. That, and I don't know if they have anything to store your progress with them. Still, something that makes the Sidekicks do more than follow you around cutely and use up an item slot would be welcome!
---
SF 13 SF, 19 reg, 5 LC, TT, FF, JBB
Got: extra Cynders, 1 Lgd Trigger Happy.
WE WON THE SUPERBOWL!! WOOHOO!!
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#102 Posted: 14:17:30 07/02/2014
Quote: Matteomax
Disney is trying to make a comeback. Their next game will "supposedly" have Marvel and Star Wars characters in it.

Don't know if that will make it a comeback if the mechanics are still the same. Hey Luke, go around the Death Star and pick up 20 Lightsaber parts. roflmao.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#103 Posted: 14:43:44 07/02/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
Disney is trying to make a comeback. Their next game will "supposedly" have Marvel and Star Wars characters in it.

Don't know if that will make it a comeback if the mechanics are still the same. Hey Luke, go around the Death Star and pick up 20 Lightsaber parts. roflmao.

Hah, good one.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#104 Posted: 15:17:08 07/02/2014
Man...I've heard a LOT of bad things about Infinity. Sadly, I have it sitting in a closet for a future gift cuz I got it on sale...I'm glad I didn't go all in...Just starter set...Been waiting for the figures to go on deep discount so I can get at least 1 monster/1 pirate/1 incredible to open up 2 player options...probably not going to go any further until I have confirmation that the little one even likes it....but from what I've heard, I'm not expecting much at this point.

Swap Force has already outsold it and it had a 6 month head start from what I see....
---
Here we go again...!
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#105 Posted: 15:19:50 07/02/2014
Hmm...

Quote: Earnings Call
For 2014, the latest wave of SWAP Force toys arrived on retail shelves in January, and we have more toy releases planned for this year than we ever have before. For this Skylanders game, Toys for Bob, the originators of both the franchise and the genre are back at the helm.

We expect our new game to once again move the category we created forward with yet another creative breakthrough and new play pattern. We will share the details with you soon. However, for competitive reasons we will be revealing the Skylanders game this year later than we have in previous years.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#106 Posted: 16:00:48 07/02/2014
This could mean either...

Toy fair
A Seperate event
Or e3
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#107 Posted: 16:06:08 07/02/2014
Quote: Skylanders Dad
Man...I've heard a LOT of bad things about Infinity. Sadly, I have it sitting in a closet for a future gift cuz I got it on sale...I'm glad I didn't go all in...Just starter set...Been waiting for the figures to go on deep discount so I can get at least 1 monster/1 pirate/1 incredible to open up 2 player options...probably not going to go any further until I have confirmation that the little one even likes it....but from what I've heard, I'm not expecting much at this point.

Swap Force has already outsold it and it had a 6 month head start from what I see....

It had less than a two month head start.

It's not bad - if you aren't expecting Skylanders Disney. It is a VERY different game. My sons love it, they play it all the time. The older one plays it like Minecraft, the younger just loves to run around in the world as the older one makes it. They play the playsets a lot too. My four year old always wants to play it, I prefer Skylanders, but he wants to play that and his older brother likes it too so more often than not, they play that. He also plays with just the figures a lot too, they are extremely well made - they have Skylanders dominated in figure quality.

And the way I read the announcement about Marvel and Star Wars gave me the feeling they will be different games, nu=ot just all put into Infinity. Might be wrong on this though.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:08:04 07/02/2014 by defpally
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#108 Posted: 16:13:07 07/02/2014
Skylanders are still going to appear at Toy Fair this year, don't forget that it was confirmed.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Donatron Green Sparx Gems: 494
#109 Posted: 16:25:51 07/02/2014

I don't think it's the quest-based style itself that's the issue, but rather the execution of it. Two of the most popular and successful franchises follow this style: World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto. Not only that, but Disney previously found success with it in Toontown Online.

But yes, Disney is going to need much more than just additional character franchises. I was hooked on World of Warcraft for years, and I'm a huge Disney fan, yet I've never been able to play Infinity for more than 15 minutes at a time. Something is very broken with the game's design.
---
Activate: Donatron | Xbox Live: The Donatron
SSA: 32/32 | SG: 16/16 | SSF: 28/32
#110 Posted: 16:39:55 07/02/2014
Quote: Donatron
I don't think it's the quest-based style itself that's the issue, but rather the execution of it. Two of the most popular and successful franchises follow this style: World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto. Not only that, but Disney previously found success with it in Toontown Online.

But yes, Disney is going to need much more than just additional character franchises. I was hooked on World of Warcraft for years, and I'm a huge Disney fan, yet I've never been able to play Infinity for more than 15 minutes at a time. Something is very broken with the game's design.

It's not broken, it just isn't your cup of tea. My sons LOVE it. They love the open world, go do or build anything type of thing. Some people prefer directed action or a more defined purpose or even more conflict/fighting. I'm probably more in your camp personally - I like it to have more of a purpose, but I will ensure you that it is definitely not a broken game or bad design.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#111 Posted: 17:21:10 07/02/2014
I like Disney Infinity: the game. The Play Sets get repetitive, but their open-world exploring is still enjoyable. The toy box is more limited than Minecraft, but it's a lot simpler to build in it. The best feature like everyone says is really toy box, but if the concept of that doesn't interest you I don't think you should buy this game.

... The biggest issue with it is the implementation of the toys. The toys look lovely and are great on their own but add next to nothing to the game, only act as paywalls. Each character has a couple of chests they can unlock which give you extra items for toy box. They are basically the equivalent to buying some kind of level or character-skin DLC pack. The game would just be more fun to play without the toy system which was lazily tossed on top of the game, simple as that. There isn't even any info saved to the toys, besides their level, which doesn't even do anything besides unlock extra spins in-game. It doesn't help that most of the characters play very similarly to one another. And I didn't even mention Hex Discs...

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it has lots of little issues and a couple of fairly big ones. The fetch quests in the play sets are really repetitive and the Toy Box is somewhat limited, and the figurines don't add to the experience whatsoever. I'd say "try it" and get it on a sale if it interests you, the simplicity of the game has a certain charm, but there are much more interesting games to play. If you aren't interested in the game from the trailers and stuff, I don't think playing the game will change your mind. By no means is it terrible, however, it's perfectly playable and it runs nice and the game design is okay and everything- it just feels really unpolished in certain aspects and it could have been so much more.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:48:36 07/02/2014 by Arc of Archives
#112 Posted: 18:00:17 07/02/2014
True, but only if you buy the figure to "unlock content". For a child (and even adults!) the figures are great playthings. I've spent oodles of money over my lifetime on figures that didn't do anything at all. My four year old loves the game, but even when he cannot play it he will just play with the figures.

Funny story: We keep our Skylanders sorted out into crates. We have so many it is hard to keep track of if we have everything, and I don't want to lose one under the couch or anything. I came home the other night and the boys had every single one out and piled up in a giant pile in the middle of the floor. And by that I mean a big PILE. My inner neat-freak was like "Yikes", but they were having fun so I had to remind myself they were toys and meant to be played with. I sorted them back out after they went to bed ... smilie
#113 Posted: 18:22:35 07/02/2014
Quote: defpally

It's not broken, it just isn't your cup of tea. My sons LOVE it. They love the open world, go do or build anything type of thing. Some people prefer directed action or a more defined purpose or even more conflict/fighting. I'm probably more in your camp personally - I like it to have more of a purpose, but I will ensure you that it is definitely not a broken game or bad design.

You're right. Different strokes for different folks. I shouldn't just label the game as broken because I don't like it. But I just find it strange that I don't. Given how big of a fan I am of WoW, Minecraft, and Disney, I should be all over Infinity. But when playing, I always find myself bored. And from what I've seen, a lot of people share the same experience.

Although, one thing that I do know disappointed a lot of people (including myself) is that you can't play any character in any level.
---
#114 Posted: 19:21:48 07/02/2014

I grew up on quest games---remember King's Quest? It's definitely the execution.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#115 Posted: 19:31:49 07/02/2014
DI has a few issues - the paywall feels 'heavy' compared to the return, and the content feels 'light' if you aren't into Toybox. As well Toy box is missing stuff it really needs, and while htere are some memorable villains (even the soldier guy from Aladdin), there isn't enough variety in them.

On the flip however, it does so much else WELL. The multiplayer is so much better than 'stick within ten feet of me' Skylanders. The figures may not be as detailed as Skylanders, but they feel EXTREMELY solid and durable - I'm sure most of us with extensive collections have a figure or two where the axe (Voodood) is bent up, or the tail broke off (Fright Rider), or the hammer is loose, etc etc. Despite the 'fetch' quest, I actually 'enjoyed' the quest in DI and wouldn't mind Skylanders being a 'little' more open world. AND THEY ACTUALLY PATCH THE GAME. HERE THAT ACTIVISION PATCH YOUR GAME! ADD CHASE VARIANTS. Every variant for DI is an in-game variant. There is NO good excuse why that still isn't the case with Skylanders. Even the wii can be patched, so they can't even hang on to that.

It's just the first iteration of DI, so while I'm not going to even PRETEND like its as good as skylanders 1, 2 or 3 - it's potential is there. I think they could add minimal articulation to their slightly sturdier figures, they can do a friggin "Danger Room" add-on since they own MArvel now. I think they would translate to a 3DS better than say Swap Force did. They just need time.

And Activision needs to stop pretending like "because they support the Wii" they can't patch their games.
- Unreall
#116 Posted: 19:44:14 07/02/2014
Quote: Unreallystic
And Activision needs to stop pretending like "because they support the Wii" they can't patch their games.
- Unreall

I'm hearing it from all of the Activision apologists here...I've never heard from any developer or publishing company WHY they don't produce patches to problems. Just that they aren't. And while I understand that games aren't perfect, the inability to fix problems post release is unacceptable. I will hedge any future game purchase based on the level of noise here on any release if they say again no patch.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:46:03 07/02/2014 by GhostRoaster
#117 Posted: 19:56:09 07/02/2014
You're right. Different strokes for different folks. I shouldn't just label the game as broken because I don't like it. But I just find it strange that I don't. Given how big of a fan I am of WoW, Minecraft, and Disney, I should be all over Infinity. But when playing, I always find myself bored. And from what I've seen, a lot of people share the same experience.

Although, one thing that I do know disappointed a lot of people (including myself) is that you can't play any character in any level.

The game and the questing is probably too low level/aimed at kids for you. It is easier to make an action game like Skylanders that appeals to all ages than to make a quest/adventure type game like Infinity that appeals to all ages. WoW quests (the good ones) are a great deal more difficult, particularly back when they didn't hand hold you to the area like they mark it on the map now. My wife got annoyed with me in Pandaria because I didn't even bother to read the quest text in most cases. And King's Quest (Fout was the last I played through) length was entirely based on the obscurity of the quests and figuring out the right text to use.

Infinity tells you to do something, then helpfully guides you to where you do it and how you do it. It's great for my kids. It bores me. Like I said, I like Skylanders better. My kids love the questing in Infinity, the four year old prefers Infinity over Skylanders (and Skylanders are usually the "bad" guys when he plays with the toys with his Infinity figures), the nine year old is 50/50 on both games. He likes the building aspect of the Toy Box.

It's not a failure at all in the game, it hits the target audience right on the nose.
#118 Posted: 20:01:03 07/02/2014
- Unreall

I'm hearing it from all of the Activision apologists here...I've never heard from any developer or publishing company WHY they don't produce patches to problems. Just that they aren't. And while I understand that games aren't perfect, the inability to fix problems post release is unacceptable. I will hedge any future game purchase based on the level of noise here on any release if they say again no patch.

The Wii cannot patch, period. Even Skyward Sword had a game breaking bug, and the best they could do was give out a free app that would "fix" your save game.

The XBox 360 used to have a fairly strict update infrastructure. You got one patch certification for free. After that the cost of each ran into the tens of thousands. They require certification to list it on Live. This was to try and keep down ship and patch later development. Many times companies kept that "free" patch in their pocket in case something really bad was found. Only recently have they backed off of this policy. Look into the XBox Live Fez game on patch 1.2 for an example.
#119 Posted: 20:16:37 07/02/2014

The game and the questing is probably too low level/aimed at kids for you. It is easier to make an action game like Skylanders that appeals to all ages than to make a quest/adventure type game like Infinity that appeals to all ages. WoW quests (the good ones) are a great deal more difficult, particularly back when they didn't hand hold you to the area like they mark it on the map now. My wife got annoyed with me in Pandaria because I didn't even bother to read the quest text in most cases. And King's Quest (Fout was the last I played through) length was entirely based on the obscurity of the quests and figuring out the right text to use.

Infinity tells you to do something, then helpfully guides you to where you do it and how you do it. It's great for my kids. It bores me. Like I said, I like Skylanders better. My kids love the questing in Infinity, the four year old prefers Infinity over Skylanders (and Skylanders are usually the "bad" guys when he plays with the toys with his Infinity figures), the nine year old is 50/50 on both games. He likes the building aspect of the Toy Box.

It's not a failure at all in the game, it hits the target audience right on the nose.

The later Sierra games got it right with a visual interface, but that was part of the (frustrating) fun of it!
---
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#120 Posted: 20:30:54 07/02/2014
Infinity should have never been made for the Wii. At least they finally figured that out, as it has been speculated that Infinity 2 will not be available on the Wii. I wonder if Activision will soon follow with the Skylanders series and the Wii?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:36:20 07/02/2014 by wgeorge111
#121 Posted: 21:03:21 07/02/2014

I grew up on quest games---remember King's Quest? It's definitely the execution.

I LOVED King's Quest. I loved all those Sierra games. Got me all nostalgic now. I'm getting flashbacks of installing those floppy discs. lol

DI has a few issues - the paywall feels 'heavy' compared to the return, and the content feels 'light' if you aren't into Toybox. As well Toy box is missing stuff it really needs, and while htere are some memorable villains (even the soldier guy from Aladdin), there isn't enough variety in them.

On the flip however, it does so much else WELL. The multiplayer is so much better than 'stick within ten feet of me' Skylanders. The figures may not be as detailed as Skylanders, but they feel EXTREMELY solid and durable - I'm sure most of us with extensive collections have a figure or two where the axe (Voodood) is bent up, or the tail broke off (Fright Rider), or the hammer is loose, etc etc. Despite the 'fetch' quest, I actually 'enjoyed' the quest in DI and wouldn't mind Skylanders being a 'little' more open world. AND THEY ACTUALLY PATCH THE GAME. HERE THAT ACTIVISION PATCH YOUR GAME! ADD CHASE VARIANTS. Every variant for DI is an in-game variant. There is NO good excuse why that still isn't the case with Skylanders. Even the wii can be patched, so they can't even hang on to that.

It's just the first iteration of DI, so while I'm not going to even PRETEND like its as good as skylanders 1, 2 or 3 - it's potential is there. I think they could add minimal articulation to their slightly sturdier figures, they can do a friggin "Danger Room" add-on since they own MArvel now. I think they would translate to a 3DS better than say Swap Force did. They just need time.

- Unreall

Is that really the reason they're giving? If so, they're not fooling anybody. The CoD games were also released on Wii, and they've had more than their fair share of patches.
---
#122 Posted: 21:22:27 07/02/2014

I wonder what the statistics are in that demographic. My nephew is also four, and he hasn't touched Infinity since getting Skylanders. But his preference might be swayed by the fact that his favorite uncle plays Skylanders. lol

Anyways, I believe Disney has invested quite a bit of money in Infinity. So it would be in their best interest to figure out a way to make it more appealing to older audiences as well--like with their movies and theme parks. And if they really are bringing in Marvel and Star Wars, this would become even more important. Kids today still love Marvel and Star Wars, but not as much as those who grew up in the 70's and 80's. It would definitely be a missed opportunity if they didn't.
---
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#123 Posted: 14:57:26 08/02/2014
Quote: dark52
Hmm...

For 2014, the latest wave of SWAP Force toys arrived on retail shelves in January, and we have more toy releases planned for this year than we ever have before. For this Skylanders game, Toys for Bob, the originators of both the franchise and the genre are back at the helm.

We expect our new game to once again move the category we created forward with yet another creative breakthrough and new play pattern. We will share the details with you soon. However, for competitive reasons we will be revealing the Skylanders game this year later than we have in previous years.

yah bet toys for bobs who will do it
---
THE END IS NEAR
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#124 Posted: 16:11:13 08/02/2014

When I spend 15 bucks on one set of characters that I can play in both Toy Box and Playset, while spending 15 on another set of characters that can only be played in Toy Box, there is something seriously wrong.

It's like paying 5 bucks for a gallon of milk, and 5 bucks for half a gallon of milk.

This is what I hate about Infinity. My girls have Rapunzel, Anna, and Else, and they still ask to play Skylanders more. I guess it's because you can actually use ANY character on ANY level.

I see it differently. Skylanders is the better value, because -

1: No blind packs
2: Characters can play in all levels
3: Certain characters are cheaper
4: Levels offer more variety (especially in Swap Force)

I know why they're doing Marvel and Star Wars. They're wanting to sell on brands alone. It rubs off to me that they're afraid of themselves, and maybe they feel they lack the skill to make a great game with a wealth of variety in the gameplay. It's going to take more than Marvel and Star Wars to sell me on Infinity from here on out.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#125 Posted: 20:08:10 08/02/2014
Quote: nitendofan92
Quote: dark52
Hmm...

yah bet toys for bobs who will do it

Toys for Bob IS making the 4th game.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7014
#126 Posted: 20:11:20 08/02/2014
If the next game has more than 2 player mode....
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#127 Posted: 00:34:23 09/02/2014
So, since that said that, maybe we will only see it during the ToyFair.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
LightSpyro13 Blue Sparx Gems: 861
#128 Posted: 02:04:25 09/02/2014

No it did not, actually, and it was only a 2 month head start not 6. When comparing all 3 Skylanders games to Infinity's one game, they are still in the lead. But Swap Force alone didn't outsell it, and Activision said in November that Swap Force sales are not performing as well as the previous Skylanders games, which isn't unexpected. Even with competition from Skylanders and coming out late in the year in one of the worst possible times (August is a bad time to release a kids game, since parents will focus more on back to school purchases rather than entertainment), Disney Infinity was still ranked as the 10th best selling game of 2013 and has sold more than 3 million starter packs. No Skylanders game made it on that list.

Anyhoo to get back on topic, I think they're probably planning a racing game or something with cars judging by the photos of toy cars in their offices and putting Fire Kraken's top half in a car. I really hope its a spinoff with something new and fewer new characters than in the past games. I personally find that Skylanders has far too many characters now.
---
Fins, of fury!
#129 Posted: 02:25:48 09/02/2014
Quote: LightSpyro13
When comparing all 3 Skylanders games to Infinity's one game, they are still in the lead. But Swap Force alone didn't outsell it, and Activision said in November that Swap Force sales are not performing as well as the previous Skylanders games, which isn't unexpected. Even with competition from Skylanders and coming out late in the year in one of the worst possible times (August is a bad time to release a kids game, since parents will focus more on back to school purchases rather than entertainment), Disney Infinity was still ranked as the 10th best selling game of 2013 and has sold more than 3 million starter packs. No Skylanders game made it on that list.

Activision's decrease in sales was attributed primarily to lack of decision on next gen console "supposedly". Some of it is the start of purchase fatigue...and yes some of it because they enjoyed total market domination being the only player and now having to share that spotlight with Disney. Actually reviewing sales now they appear to be pretty close to Giants in unit sales of game units...no idea how good/bad the figures are doing...

Anyhoo to get back on topic, I think they're probably planning a racing game or something with cars judging by the photos of toy cars in their offices and putting Fire Kraken's top half in a car. I really hope its a spinoff with something new and fewer new characters than in the past games. I personally find that Skylanders has far too many characters now.

Nope, that was FGTV speculating. TFB has tons of stuff in their offices...doesn't mean anything necessarily. If they go racing, then expect a sharp turn south in sales. I won't be buying. I'll buy Need for Speed if I need a racing game.
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#130 Posted: 03:09:28 09/02/2014

Taking on FGTV's speculation? <.<
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#131 Posted: 03:35:28 09/02/2014

No it did not, actually, and it was only a 2 month head start not 6. When comparing all 3 Skylanders games to Infinity's one game, they are still in the lead. But Swap Force alone didn't outsell it, and Activision said in November that Swap Force sales are not performing as well as the previous Skylanders games, which isn't unexpected. Even with competition from Skylanders and coming out late in the year in one of the worst possible times (August is a bad time to release a kids game, since parents will focus more on back to school purchases rather than entertainment), Disney Infinity was still ranked as the 10th best selling game of 2013 and has sold more than 3 million starter packs. No Skylanders game made it on that list.

You're right...It was only 2 months...Oops...

However...

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb...ders+swap+force

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb...s=0&results=200

Am I missing something? It appears Swap Force is beating Infinity handily....

____

Nice to see some folks saying their younger ones like Infinity cuz like I said before...Lotta bad hearsay coming my way...It gives me some hope. Here's hoping my little one(s) like it. smilie
---
Here we go again...!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:42:34 09/02/2014 by Skylanders Dad
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me