darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > New York Toy Fair, Skylanders 4: Your Ideas?
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
New York Toy Fair, Skylanders 4: Your Ideas?
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#1 Posted: 18:54:43 24/01/2014 | Topic Creator
FamGameTV has made some ideas:

But what are yours? Do you like the karting? Or the dice game? New Element..etc?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:58:25 24/01/2014 by NINJAsk11
deilpo Red Sparx Gems: 50
#2 Posted: 18:56:43 24/01/2014
All this confirms that it is coming out, Doesn't tell anything about.
---
CHECK ME OUT ON:
-Twitter: @Justin_Gilligan -NeoGaf (Yes): deilpo
-YouTube: /user/deilpotv -Backloggery: deilpo
#3 Posted: 18:57:32 24/01/2014 | Topic Creator
OH well...chagne the title
#4 Posted: 18:59:39 24/01/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11

Hehe, you got me a bit excited there for a moment.
---
CHECK ME OUT ON:
#5 Posted: 19:00:59 24/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: deilpo

I'm sorry for letting you down for a sec after it then....
#6 Posted: 19:10:54 24/01/2014
Quote: deilpo

I'm sorry for letting you down for a sec after it then....

Its cool, Anyway I'd really like some new elements, open world, and a good online mode. Cross-Platform online would be excellent too since the one person I know who has Skylanders is on Xbox.

EDIT: Bring back proper Spyro smilie Name him something like Spyro Reborn.
---
CHECK ME OUT ON:
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:50:04 24/01/2014 by deilpo
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 19:37:28 24/01/2014
A mix of skylander and machine would be nice, but I would not want to have to buy a specific toy to use with it (ie a special Eruptor that can ONLY be used in said vehicle/machine). They can work around it by making it work with only the "new" guys, but I'm sure they would get criticized for not allowing it with all characters.

If they do pair up with skylander and machine there would have to be a logical story to suggest why it could only work with certain landers. Also, if they are looking at cars or other vehicles...1. that is not consistent with the skylander world...I want to escape this world not go back to it and 2. it should not be the MAIN attraction...imagine zones based on MACHINE that is represented as toy. Sounds gimicky in either case.

The comment about deeper (more mature) stat management is spot on.

The lesser asks are simply online mode for games and tourneys...

I do think whatever they do, they need to step out of their comfort zone a bit more. It's a huge risk both in staying status quo and trying new stuff...but if they start cranking out unimaginative releases (ala CoD) then call this one done.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:39:46 24/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
TheLurk Blue Sparx Gems: 533
#8 Posted: 23:52:40 24/01/2014
Yes, online mode, but especially online vs and online co-op! They could easily do this! All they have to do is have the game count what each portal has the way 1 portal with co-op would. Restrict them to 1 Skylander but allow swapping, and let them use 1 magic item at a time (say, I want to use Sky-Iron Shield, but I can't also have my friend use Anvil Rain until I take my item off the portal). Add some DLC and there's lots of incentive for a company to do this.

I really don't see them doing a vehicle-driven game, unless it's a spinoff series. I can see how they can work it though. Just have different vehicles restricted to certain elements.

More control in stats tickles my RPG fancy, but I don't know how well that can translate into the Skylanders series. It could get ridiculously complicated if not done right and, as I've said elsewhere, you have to watch out for kids getting too bored with some things, and companies don't always think kids can understand this stuff.

Sound could work, but it's such a cheesy and cheap-sounding gimmick that I'm hoping they'll have alot more to offer than that. Don't get me wrong. Having my figs talk could be fun, but....imagine hearing the exact same catch phrase as the game puts out every time you put it on a portal, even when the game is off, as long as the portal is lit. Any parents out there will understand how this could get annoying really really fast!

Finally, for me, it's a bit sad that they might choose a yellow base for the next Skylanders. Am I the only one who's been waiting for a purple base??
---
SF 13 SF, 19 reg, 5 LC, TT, FF, JBB
Got: extra Cynders, 1 Lgd Trigger Happy.
WE WON THE SUPERBOWL!! WOOHOO!!
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#9 Posted: 00:52:17 25/01/2014
Quote:
Am I the only one who's been waiting for a purple base??

My youngest son would be hoping for purple.

Quote:
If they do pair up with skylander and machine there would have to be a logical story to suggest why it could only work with certain landers. Also, if they are looking at cars or other vehicles...1. that is not consistent with the skylander world...I want to escape this world not go back to it and 2. it should not be the MAIN attraction...imagine zones based on MACHINE that is represented as toy. Sounds gimicky in either case.

Agree with this. They could make it work as there are already machines in Skylanders. For example they could have a couple of chapters where the portal only works one way (e.g. incoming) and it's a large island so the skylanders have to use a machine (troll tank, arkeyean chopper etc) to get to the other side. Along the way they have to hop out to clear the road - be a good way to have more ambushes. Particularly if they didn't occur in the same spot each time. Essentially it could work a bit like Autogyro Adventure in Giants.

Not a fan of the dice idea. I get annoyed enough getting my lazy backside off the couch to change tired characters, without needing to hop up and try to roll a dice on the portal. And what happens when little Tommy rolls it off the portal and it goes down behind the TV cabinet? I personally don't think they would go with that option, but it's a great clip, his kids have put some thought into the possibilities.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#10 Posted: 00:55:18 25/01/2014
i guess...

karts
nanos
add on weapons
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#11 Posted: 01:12:38 25/01/2014
Skylanders: Weapon Masters...Nuff said.
#12 Posted: 01:21:34 25/01/2014
Quote: Tigorus
Skylanders: Weapon Masters...Nuff said.

So they get to gather the Ultimate Weapons? Hmm....if they did that, they'd have to launch a toy line for the weapons.
---
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#13 Posted: 01:31:07 25/01/2014
Maybe some sort of voice technology? Color changing lights? Movable parts?

Maybe a "build your own" Skylander from an online website?
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#14 Posted: 02:22:58 25/01/2014
Moveable parts would mean parts that can pop off...and given how small these are, that would be a problem. It'd sure look cool though.

Build a Lander! smilie Omg....I can see them starting a store like that at the mall....online, they might be able to limit the amount of options, but imagine if they did a physical version? I shudder to think of how much testing would need to be done to make sure there's no bugs.....

How many more days is it now?
---
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#15 Posted: 04:07:12 25/01/2014
Quote: kaosmumishot

I would love to have new figures with purple bases.
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#16 Posted: 04:28:33 25/01/2014
One of the main selling points of Skylanders is that they don't require any batteries. I think if they start going with voice or anything motorized will need to go the battery route and I just don't see that happening.
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#17 Posted: 04:47:56 25/01/2014
Stop making figures for this game so we can catch up or recover from this one. It seems as soon as the last few come out, the new game is out.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
legendaryfabo Gold Sparx Gems: 2968
#18 Posted: 04:56:16 25/01/2014
Quote: TheShadowDragon

I would love to have new figures with purple bases.

OMG I WOULD LOVE PURPLE AS A BASE COLOR. PURPLE IS MY FAVORITE COLOR EVER! Ahem, that is my 0.02.
---
Hi
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#19 Posted: 05:44:24 25/01/2014
I was thinking of purple bases for the next game too, but if they go for red bases, that would also be a nice addition.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#20 Posted: 05:58:27 25/01/2014
Voice skylanders isn't going to happen. And no, I'm not going to place my skylander on a pedestal at Starbucks at Time's Square. That stuff was just interesting conversation...one thing I think TFB knows...is a cool idea doesn't make it a good idea. None of those are exciting...imo swappers kicked those ideas in the ground in terms of actual value to the consumer.

Making a unique build your own skylander would be cool, but how much more would you pay for these? These might be in the $30 range and up I'm guessing. Heh...as long as there's only one for every two elements I might be ok with that.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:00:29 25/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#21 Posted: 09:34:36 25/01/2014
Quote: lordexodus
It's best not to reduce our IQs by listening to that FGTV guy's stupidity...

Yeah, most of the video was pretty bad. The only thing I agree on was towards the end where he begins talking about deeper RPG elements with more stat customization. I would definitely love something like that.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#22 Posted: 10:10:35 25/01/2014
Yeah even I am coming to the facts that even though I love getting new characters, I would love it more if they actually focused more on improving the gameplay. Having more RPG elements, increased difficulty, more levels and stat customization would really help the game in the long run.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#23 Posted: 11:36:53 25/01/2014

So you're a big fan then?

I personally don't mind the guy. Zach Gordon on the other hand ...
#24 Posted: 14:25:58 25/01/2014

Someone's just being blatantly disrespectful.
I guess you don't even know how helpful he is.
---
#25 Posted: 16:27:30 25/01/2014

Zach is gone...and so is Boomcast. Yay....now you don't need to complain...

FGTV presence is more noticeable before launch; his presence outside of that seems to have been reduced. The video was amusing, and was meant to strike a conversation. If you don't like what he said, talk about it...even be negative...but it's usually worthwhile to have a point.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 17:22:46 25/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#26 Posted: 17:22:55 25/01/2014
Found this Forbes article, about some possibilities, and some info, regarding Skylanders 4:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/an...r-announcement/

Seriously... Am I the only one who doesn't want a karting game? Even a new game, with no gimmick, and just 8/16 new characters, would be better than that, in my opinion...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#27 Posted: 17:34:38 25/01/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

Zach is gone...and so is Boomcast. Yay....now you don't need to complain...

FGTV presence is more noticeable before launch; his presence outside of that seems to have been reduced. The video was amusing, and was meant to strike a conversation. If you don't like what he said, talk about it...even be negative...but it's usually worthwhile to have a point.

How do we know Boomcast is over?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#28 Posted: 17:35:01 25/01/2014
Quote: Drek95
Found this Forbes article, about some possibilities, and some info, regarding Skylanders 4:

Seriously... Am I the only one who doesn't want a karting game? Even a new game, with no gimmick, and just 8/16 new characters, would be better than that, in my opinion...

I agree. Mindless cart racing or "Skylander's Golf" would be a disaster. Skylanders should make their OWN trail...just as the original did three years ago.

They need a better story, and ways of diversifying the story gameplay. I've recommended better story writing (even a bit less glub), pathing in game that impacts storyline, heroics specific to skylander, online PVP, and of course a character innovation...not sure putting characters in vehicles is the way to go...totally removes the toys to life further.

Coming up with a friendly way to customize character stats THAT IS REQUIRED IN THE GAME would be great. Right now it's a mindless diversion with stats as the game amps up so much that the stats don't really mean much.

An open world where you need to do quests, expand story, etc. has been done over and over by other games, but might work here if it's on more rails than most. As part of the open world more flexibility to enemy placement and difficulty can become a little more random. We still have exact character placement which makes for limited replay. The open world could be a mirage...yes you can go anywhere anytime, but certain areas would be blocked or unknown until more of the story unfolds. And what part of the story unfolds could depend on your PATHING in the game. Want to talk about re-playability? This would FINALLY make many of these characters WORTH it...imagine things changing based on the element, figure or decisions made in an open world.

Buried in the open world would have many of the distractions Andy is calling out and was made available by previous entries...work if you will that is required to progress in the game further.

In my mind, this effort (if done right) could keep a game entry going for multiple years, and be engaging for much longer. That's my little dream on the DIGITAL side of the franchise.
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 17:54:36 25/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
#29 Posted: 17:39:32 25/01/2014
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
How do we know Boomcast is over?

Robert from CoinOpTV mentioned it in one of his videos. He's the writer for the series.
---
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#30 Posted: 17:52:20 25/01/2014
^So no more Short Cuts? And I would also hate a cart game (doubt they would do it). I personally just want more bright and fun environments like Perilous Pastors and Shattered Island to play in. I hated the environments in Giants as they were all dark and/or scarier fortresses and such. Thankfully Swap-Force has more bright places with the small island floating around. I would also like to see Jet-Vac again!
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
#31 Posted: 17:54:53 25/01/2014
Season One is Finito.
---
#32 Posted: 17:59:40 25/01/2014
Light sensitive? Motion sensitive?

Boomer: "Hey, this place is too dark, let's BLOW IT UP!"

And to add to the speculation, they had a small Skylanders-themed car at Toys for Bob.
[User Posted Image]

I personally wouldn't like a cart game. It would get old too fast.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:10:07 25/01/2014 by Matteomax
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#33 Posted: 18:52:00 25/01/2014
Quote: Drek95

Eh, I'm not too much of a race gamer, but we'll wait and see until the game is announced.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#34 Posted: 19:13:56 25/01/2014
A Kart game would only be good as a spin off.
---
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#35 Posted: 20:20:56 25/01/2014
Quote: GhoastRoaster
PATHING in the game.

I like the idea of this. We did get a very, very small taste of it in Giants in the Oracle level. Considering TFB made Giants and is making Skylanders 4 maybe it could happen.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#36 Posted: 02:06:44 26/01/2014
I still would like to see the Kaos Alliance idea.(Whether we would get a Kaos figure or not).

And of course, the Skylanders appearing in the cutscenes and having dialogue. The whole not trying to make a certain character outshine the others is kind of... meh(especially when Eruptor, Pop Fizz, and Jet-Vac are featured in every commercial since Giants). It would be great to see their personality's in the game and not just the books or commercials.
sustainablspyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1648
#37 Posted: 02:15:49 26/01/2014
So did anyone recognize the Yellow Bases as S4s, or do they seem like newlanders?
---
Bye everyone. After the hack thing, I'm leaving.
#38 Posted: 02:39:58 26/01/2014
Quote: sustainablspyro
So did anyone recognize the Yellow Bases as S4s, or do they seem like newlanders?

They aren't the Series 4 figures. Those are prototypes of Pop Fizz, Flashwing (disassembled), and a few others.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:40:38 26/01/2014 by Matteomax
#39 Posted: 05:06:27 26/01/2014
@Matteomax I noticed in that close-up the mug that says "Got steam". I'm surprised there was nothing in the video about a Steam version of Skylanders. Would that even work?
---
skylanderkids Yellow Sparx Gems: 1999
#40 Posted: 05:17:40 26/01/2014
1:13 - 1:31
---
youtube.com/theskylanderboy
facebook.com/skylanderkids
#41 Posted: 05:30:35 26/01/2014
@Skylanderkids Is that to confirm the date of toy fair for people? Feb 16-19 2014.
---
#42 Posted: 16:11:59 26/01/2014
Ummm... Does this mean toy fair is a no go!
#43 Posted: 16:12:28 26/01/2014
Quote: Matteomax
I personally wouldn't like a cart game. It would get old too fast.

That car doesn't look like anything...it's just a car. Everyone remember Infinity getting raked for being a "racing game" for the Cars playset? This kind of stuff would be a nice addition/replacement for swap force challenges...but it should not be a game centered around it. There's much better racing games out there, and frankly some people don't like it.

Quote: wgeorge111
Quote: GhoastRoaster
PATHING in the game.

I like the idea of this. We did get a very, very small taste of it in Giants in the Oracle level. Considering TFB made Giants and is making Skylanders 4 maybe it could happen.

Exactly. Imagine this on a larger scale, but scaled down for kids....that would actually PROMOTE replay of levels because you haven't done everything / seen everything on every path. Imagine failing a quest or seeing the impact of actions on the story or character itself. To me this finally equates their toy innovations on the game level...right now it's still too skewed on the toys.

My idea of expansion is the impact of one path/decision in one level or world have on a secondary level / world. Slightly more sophisticated but the story can drive home the idea.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:20:32 26/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
#44 Posted: 16:20:29 26/01/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

What are you talking about?

There's 100% confirmation that Skylanders will have a booth there.
---
#45 Posted: 17:04:35 26/01/2014

i've been talking with them. they say toy fair might be mild.

also, looks like we're all passengers on the hype train

[User Posted Image]
#46 Posted: 17:07:44 26/01/2014
who is "them"? mild as in probably no info? Sounds good to me...I think they released too many details early last year. I'd be fine with the Apr-May timeframe.
---
#47 Posted: 17:28:52 26/01/2014

[User Posted Image]

What's with the German Shepard?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#48 Posted: 17:29:58 26/01/2014

[User Posted Image]

just cause. smilie
#49 Posted: 17:32:20 26/01/2014

[User Posted Image]

just cause. smilie

I love dogs.
---
#50 Posted: 17:56:25 26/01/2014
"MIGHT" is the key word. smilie
---
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me